Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2021, 15:39   #4141  |  Link
44vince44

@LUPISSIMO:
Please download version 2.4.0 it has the tweak that you want. Remember, this version is very different, so you must not use previous settings (either you delete previous settings or chose a new folder for the settings).
You'll find the Tweak filter in Color > Tweak > choose "Neutral" then edit the parameters

@Pulp Catalyst
There is no easy way to do the HDR to SDR conversion. I personally use DGHDRtoSDR and tweak the white value by selecting a couple of frames displaying the darkest and brightest intensities (brightest usually explosions, gunshots). I use a colorpicker that gives me the RGB values at the position of the mouse pointer. I check that the darkest areas are visible, and that the brightest areas don't get saturated. If the result seems lacking "contrast" then I slightly change the value of gamma. Then I would also change the blue value because it has a higher default than the red and green values (only if the global hue seems blueish). This could take some time, but the result is very good.

@DavidRyan I agree, I find it strange that Tonysa didn't succeed. I've already converted tens of VFR files and it worked everytime...

@Probrosam the solution that JKyle gave you is good (if 23.976 to 25.000 then -af "atempo=1.0427" and if 25.000 to 23.976 then -af "atempo=0.959" ). And as usual, JKyle taught me somthing new :-).
But if you want to achieve something at a high professional standard, you need to edit the audio separately in a DAW and apply some timestretching with very specific algorithms. if you do a resampling, then the pitch will be changed, and any attentive ear will notice it (it has been done many times for TV shows in the past, but the result is imho unacceptable). Timestretching algorithms don't have this pitch change issue, but they are not perfect, although preferable to resampling. If your audio is multichannel, then consider definitely inserting/deleting frames (like with ChangeFPS) and keeping the time index unchanged.

@JKyle HUGE THANKS for the new guides :-)

Last edited by 44vince44; 10th April 2021 at 16:17.
44vince44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 18:08   #4142  |  Link
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
I've added two new wiki documents.
Thank you for this manual, I did it wrong
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 18:27   #4143  |  Link
tppytel

New to Staxrip... apologies if I'm missing something obvious...

Can I return to the main project menu while encoding? Like say I have a long Encode A running and want to go load up a short Encode B to run ahead of it. I can see how to pause a running job, but I can't see how to get back to the main menu.
tppytel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 19:29   #4144  |  Link
44vince44

@tppytel

Once the job list is being executed, you can not return to the main window (unless you abort or wait the job to finish)
However, you can open a new instance of StaxRip and prepare any new encode, and even run the new encode at the same time the other encode is running.

Last edited by 44vince44; 10th April 2021 at 20:08.
Old 10th April 2021, 20:31   #4145  |  Link
tppytel

Gotcha - thanks for the reply!
tppytel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2021, 17:49   #4146  |  Link
Baconce

Quote:
Audio frame rate has nothing to do with video frame rate, and AFAIK, it's very marginal info in almost all cases.

To adjust the playtime of an audio, you need to apply an audio filter that stretches/squeezes the audio, instead of dealing with the (unrelated) audio frame rate.

For example, atempo filter is very useful if you encode the audio track/file using ffmpeg.

(StaxRip employs ffmpeg for all audio codecs except AAC. For AAC, there are four encoders - qaac, fdkaac, NeroAAC, and ffmpeg - but only ffmpeg is available in the shipped release version due to license issues.)

If you'd like to slow down the play speed of an audio by 0.9, you just need to put -af "atempo=0.9" in the Custom field of Audio Settings window as follows.

You need to make sure that the encoder is ffmpeg.

For more info on atempo, see here.
Thanks a lot !!!!!!!
Baconce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 08:11   #4147  |  Link
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBroSam View Post
How to change Audio FPS (not Video) from 23.976 to 25.000 or 25.000 to 23.976 while encoding a video in StaxRip's Latest Version?
To transfer the audio frame rate (23.976-> 24-> 25, 25->24->23.976) I do not use StaxRip, but EAC3TO.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966
The video then "stretch" in Mkvtoolnix and mux with audio.
For small differences from video and audio (for example: 23,976 - 23.98, etc.) is a great program "Audacity".
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 09:50   #4148  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

As a side note, the concept of 'frame' in audio is unrelated to that in video.
See this note.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 00:56   #4149  |  Link
Atlantis

v2.4.0.
It seems it doesn't recognize forced subtitles like before.
adding xxxxxxx.English.Forced.srt does not make the Forced box checked.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2021, 02:50   #4150  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
There is a "Sharpen / Sharpen Script" on RipBot264 v1.26.0. Is there any way to use it on StaxRip?
What's the script code?
Old 15th April 2021, 04:44   #4151  |  Link
44vince44

Line > Sharpen provides you with some filters.

You can also check many other filters here: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
or google for VapourSynth filter.
Old 15th April 2021, 04:59   #4152  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Since the AviSynth native Sharpen filter is missing from the default AVS Profiles, let me add it and make a PR.
(And same for the VapourSynth port muvsfunc.Sharpen.)

---

...And done.

The next release will have Sharpen in the default AVS/VS filter profiles.

In the meantime, add the following line in your AVS/VS Profiles under the [Line] section in order to use Sharpen from now on.

## AVS
Code:
Sharpen | Sharpen = Sharpen($enter_text:Enter the Amount of Sharpness in decimal (from -1.58 to 1.0)$)
## VS
Code:
Sharpen | Sharpen = clip = muvsfunc.Sharpen(clip, $enter_text:Enter the Amount of Sharpness in decimal (from -1.58 to 1.0)$)

BTW, you can always add native AVS filters in the Code Editor not worrying about dependencies.
Just because native filters are not listed in the default filter profiles does not mean they are not available.
Think of the filter profiles as just helpers.

Last edited by JKyle; 15th April 2021 at 06:56.
Old 15th April 2021, 19:43   #4153  |  Link
shodan5000

Quote:
BTW, you can always add native AVS filters in the Code Editor not worrying about dependencies.
Just because native filters are not listed in the default filter profiles does not mean they are not available.
Think of the filter profiles as just helpers.
That is something that I've always found confusing and annoying. Why can't ALL available filters be listed? Why some and not others? I believe many do not wish to have to add code just to see functions that the program has but just chooses not to show.
shodan5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2021, 21:01   #4154  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodan5000 View Post
That is something that I've always found confusing and annoying. Why can't ALL available filters be listed?
Aside from @stax76's original idea, I personally don't like the idea of carrying the list of all internal filters as a user. Packing all internal filters into default profiles just makes the list unnecessarily long and unwieldy.

Users can always refer to the list of internal filters on the AviSynth wiki, and make up their own scripts in the Code Editor. If they find some filters are important to them but missing, they can make their own filter profiles for those filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodan5000 View Post
Why some and not others?
Because those filter profiles were composed and contributed by participants.

StaxRip is not some clandestine software program that is closed to general users. If you find something annoying and confusing, you can customize the app to your taste. If you want to share your work, you can participate and make a pull request on the GitHub repo.

To be frank, I don't understand why this can be a matter to complain about.
Old 16th April 2021, 02:45   #4155  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
I tried and compared this (checked with 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9 & 1.0 decimal value) with RipBot264 v1.26.0's Sharpen (at 100%) but none of them matched with RipBot264 v1.26.0's Sharpen (at 100%).

Where RipBot264 v1.26.0's Sharpen script is:
Code:
#Sharpen
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\CAS\CAS.dll")
Import("C:\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\MCAS.avs")
video=MCAS(video,1.0)
That's why I asked for a script code in the first place.

Basically, the sharpen filter you're talking about is MCAS(MCAS.avs), but I have no idea where it came from. It's not listed in the (official) external filter list of the AviSynth wiki. I can't proceed without a proper pointer here.

And one of its dependencies, CAS is an external AVS plugin listed in the AviSynth wiki, but it's not registered in StaxRip.

So basically you need to get two things to begin with: MCAS.avs and CAS.dll (x64 build).

Then you can

1) either put them somewhere under %settings_dir%Plugins\AviSynth\ and use by yourself after composing a corresponding avs profile script for MCAS

or

2) request MCAS and CAS to be registered in StaxRip with a proper profile script code in Tool Update Request.

Like I said above, I can't help any more without further info and resources.
Old 16th April 2021, 04:04   #4156  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

OK. I've figured out that MCAS is an in-house script composed by the RipBot264 author @Atak_Snajpera.

I slightly modified the script code for use in StaxRip and am asking for a redistribution permission from him: here.

If he says yes, we can go on.
Old 16th April 2021, 07:22   #4157  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
OK. I've figured out that MCAS is an in-house script composed by the RipBot264 author @Atak_Snajpera.

I slightly modified the script code for use in StaxRip and am asking for a redistribution permission from him: here.

If he says yes, we can go on.
I think if you have a look here, it's just a "tidy up" of a slightly different script.

http://forum.doom9.net/showthread.ph...44#post1927744

And scroll down to the script being shown...

And if he says no...then what ??? call it something else.
Old 16th April 2021, 09:46   #4158  |  Link
BobDig

I saw this (complicated) Guide explaining:How to set up a simple multithreaded QTGMC template for AviSynth

Why not just using the QTGMC deinterlacer with VapourSynth, is the one for avisynth any better?
BobDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 15:05   #4159  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

If you find it complicated/difficult and are not willing to figure out the underlying workings, then don't bother.
As a matter of fact, I don't understand why users keep asking about this not even giving it a try.
Old 16th April 2021, 17:01   #4160  |  Link
44vince44

Thanks JKyle for your latest additions, and for helping users with their requests.

In return, I wish users were more willing to overcome the apparent difficulty they find, because it is only apparent, and this "complication" only reflects what video processing can sometimes be, by nature, complicated.
I wish to express my full support to what you do JKyle !