Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2013, 14:28   #1  |  Link
THX-UltraII

External subtitles and MPC-BE

I m using external .srt subtitles for all my content because I can move external subtitles (embedded subtitles cannot be moved).

However, it looks like the subtitle options in MPC-BE does not have what I am looking for. What I want/need is a keyboard shortcut that takes care of moving subtitles UP and another keyboard shortcut that moves the external subtitles DOWN. Even if this WOULD work in MPC-BE, there still seems to be a bug: when you change the subtitle postion in the menu of MPC-BE you have to refresh the subtitles before it actaully moves UP or DOWN.

Are there other options besides in the internal subtitle feature of MPC-BE to show external .srt subtitles that has a 'keyboard shortcut move up/move down function'?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 23:35   #2  |  Link
turbojet

Potplayer has hotkeys for subtitle position among other things MPC ISR is really lacking, like a static position, and subtitles staying on the screen. I tried suggesting fixes to MPC-BE devs but it didn't go anywhere.
Old 26th October 2013, 10:19   #3  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Potplayer is not an option for me because the dev team of mpc-be made a special version for dbox users like me with dual audio support. Are there no others options available these days like some external tool or something?

Last edited by THX-UltraII; 26th October 2013 at 10:24.
Old 26th October 2013, 21:41   #4  |  Link
turbojet

VSFilter and Subfilter are the only external directshow sub renderers I know of. I couldn't find any information on keyboard shortcuts to control the position.

Potplayer has separate audio and spdif renderer options. If that's not what you need, developers would probably listen and add it relatively quick. I requested one thing and it was added within 3 days and have mentioned a few bugs that were also fixed within days. They also denied my request to fix the single/multiple instances which is a mess, for instance context menu items of play and add to queue don't necessarily do that and usually do identical things. MPC has this correct. They can be reached at ahahlive[at]hanmail[dot]net

Or keep trying MPC devs...
Old 27th October 2013, 11:20   #5  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
VSFilter and Subfilter are the only external directshow sub renderers I know of. I couldn't find any information on keyboard shortcuts to control the position.

Potplayer has separate audio and spdif renderer options. If that's not what you need, developers would probably listen and add it relatively quick. I requested one thing and it was added within 3 days and have mentioned a few bugs that were also fixed within days. They also denied my request to fix the single/multiple instances which is a mess, for instance context menu items of play and add to queue don't necessarily do that and usually do identical things. MPC has this correct. They can be reached at ahahlive[at]hanmail[dot]net

Or keep trying MPC devs...
Thanks for your reply. I notice a 'slight' preference for Potplayer from you

You have to know that the feature I requested was not that simple. The dev. team of MPC-BE (alek) did quite some testing before he ended up with a version that worked for D-Box owners. Besides the subtitles I m pretty happy with the current release of MPC-BE. It s not that I m not willing to switch but you know what they say: don t break something that s working.

Does vsfilter has a seprate topic or site where I could ask for keyboard shortcuts?
Old 27th October 2013, 14:39   #6  |  Link
SamKook

xy-VSFilter/xy-SubFilter thread -> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282
Old 28th October 2013, 12:59   #7  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Thanks!

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1650380&postcount=231
Old 1st November 2013, 08:05   #8  |  Link
turbojet

When it comes to subs and a few other things it's tough to not prefer Potplayer. MPC is preferred for some other things.

Good luck on your endeavors, what specifically are you trying to do with subtitle position?

In my case it's showing subs on the bottom border close to the video. Enabling 2 options can do just that without ever changing position.
Old 1st November 2013, 11:10   #9  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
When it comes to subs and a few other things it's tough to not prefer Potplayer. MPC is preferred for some other things.

Good luck on your endeavors, what specifically are you trying to do with subtitle position?

In my case it's showing subs on the bottom border close to the video. Enabling 2 options can do just that without ever changing position.
I ll try to explain what I need:

I own a so called auto-masking screen for my projector. This means that I can auto-position 'black bars' for eg 2.35 and 1.85 aspect content. I want to be able to move the subtitles up and down and have them at the bottom of the content that is shown (NOT in the black bars like you do but IN the actual content at the bottom!!). You can imagine that for 2.35 content the subtitles has to be placed HIGHER than with 1.85 content. Of course 1.78 content is also different. So I want to make a few pre-defined subtitle positions and access them with a keyboard shortcut. IF this is not possible a keyboard shortcut for MOVING UP and MOVING DOWN would also be ok but the 'pre-defined custom positions' solutions is more elegant I think.
Old 1st November 2013, 11:11   #10  |  Link
THX-UltraII

I posted a question in the xy-VSFilter/xy-SubFilter thread but this thread seems pretty dead........
Old 3rd November 2013, 07:32   #11  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Someone knows if there are other alternatives (external filter) besides VSfilter for controlling external subtitles. The VSfilter topic is dead and I could not find keyboard shortcut possibilities for moving the subtitles in VSfilter.
Old 3rd November 2013, 16:01   #12  |  Link
SamKook

Because nobody answered you doesn't mean the thread is dead. But things do move slowly with them from what I've seen.

There already is a feature request that could possibly permit this on their bug tracker: http://code.google.com/p/xy-vsfilter...s/detail?id=61

It's the only one I know that's still in development.

Last edited by SamKook; 3rd November 2013 at 16:08.
SamKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 08:44   #13  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
Because nobody answered you doesn't mean the thread is dead. But things do move slowly with them from what I've seen.

There already is a feature request that could possibly permit this on their bug tracker: http://code.google.com/p/xy-vsfilter...s/detail?id=61

It's the only one I know that's still in development.
Last reply in this thread is from beginning of this year. Also, looking at the thread, I get no response at all.

Things seem pretty dead if you ask me
Old 6th November 2013, 16:17   #14  |  Link
SamKook

That's a feature request from a while ago and they put a low priority on it so it will probably be a while until they do something about it since they have other things to fix/do with a higher priority.

They might not look at the thread very often, not everyone spend their time on the forum, especially from such a slow moving project. Just be patient or try asking in the mpc-be thread if they can do something about it if you haven't already.