Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2020, 19:57   #1821  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
If you are not batch processing you can add more audio tracks in the Container Options, it has an audio Tab.

For that I would need more info, ideally on the issue tracker, mediainfo for the input file, command line and mediainfo for the output file.

Added to tracker as requested with everything you said you would need.

https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/issues/198

I have found a potential work around that seems to work fine. It's updated in the comment section of the tracker.
Old 17th May 2020, 21:28   #1822  |  Link
44vince44

I saw the workaround, well, if it's working, then this is a real solution, not just a "workaround" (and congrats for that).
You seem to have created a profile with it, so it should be very handy, isn't it ?

Last edited by 44vince44; 17th May 2020 at 21:28. Reason: completion
Old 17th May 2020, 22:37   #1823  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44vince44 View Post
I saw the workaround, well, if it's working, then this is a real solution, not just a "workaround" (and congrats for that).
You seem to have created a profile with it, so it should be very handy, isn't it ?
Yes it works perfectly so far. However, it would be nice to have it implemented into the GUI.

and thanks!
Old 18th May 2020, 03:14   #1824  |  Link
Atlantis

This DTS-HDMA / DTS-HD to DTS core was something I mentioned some pages ago. I suggested if it is possible the best place is when the demux window opens.

So the term reduce is not correct, extract is better. MakeMKV or MeGUI can do this. At the very beginning, instead of demuxing DTS-HDMA, would be great to demux only the DTS core.

You do it with eac3to and the option -core.

Last edited by Atlantis; 18th May 2020 at 03:17.
Old 18th May 2020, 06:10   #1825  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
This DTS-HDMA / DTS-HD to DTS core was something I mentioned some pages ago. I suggested if it is possible the best place is when the demux window opens.

So the term reduce is not correct, extract is better. MakeMKV or MeGUI can do this. At the very beginning, instead of demuxing DTS-HDMA, would be great to demux only the DTS core.

You do it with eac3to and the option -core.
I knew there was a way to do it with eac3to. I generally try to stay away from using eac3to where I can, since it hasn't had support in many years. I do most of the work that I can with mkvmerge/ffmpeg.

With that said I would like this feature. My work around that I posted earlier does work though.
Old 18th May 2020, 09:44   #1826  |  Link
44vince44

@jlw_4049 this is a great find. The logic of the UI makes it difficult to to create an option to check/uncheck such option in the "Audio Settings" (the standard audio settings window related to an encoder) because as you can see, this "Audio Settings" is for decode>encode operations, where a decoding operation has to take place. So there is no way that the DTS Core extraction option could fit in that window since when extracting DTS core, there is no decoding taking place.
I guess what you found here is the only way it can work.
Maybe @Stax76 can integrate that profile you created in the default profiles, since this operation is very much used !

I have a question: I was wondering why you put wav as file type, shouldn,t it be dts? or it simply doesn't matter because it doesn't affect the script in any way.
Old 18th May 2020, 09:47   #1827  |  Link
44vince44

And you shouldn't say "workaround" ;-)))) because it is not a workaround, it is a REAL solution, created with the regular options in Staxrip. Staxrip is designed to be customizable, so what you did is simply add a new feature.

Please @Stax76 if you are reading this, consider updating the default audio profiles with that new one!! Thanks for both of you!

Last edited by 44vince44; 18th May 2020 at 09:49. Reason: correction
Old 18th May 2020, 13:12   #1828  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
@jlw_4049 this is a great find. The logic of the UI makes it difficult to to create an option to check/uncheck such option in the "Audio Settings" (the standard audio settings window related to an encoder) because as you can see, this "Audio Settings" is for decode>encode operations, where a decoding operation has to take place. So there is no way that the DTS Core extraction option could fit in that window since when extracting DTS core, there is no decoding taking place.
I guess what you found here is the only way it can work.
Maybe @Stax76 can integrate that profile you created in the default profiles, since this operation is very much used !

I have a question: I was wondering why you put wav as file type, shouldn,t it be dts? or it simply doesn't matter because it doesn't affect the script in any way.
If you don't put wav the audio "encode" actually will error out. I'll explain further.

Decoding (extracting the core is technically the proper term for this) a dtshd file to a .wav file is correct. As far as I know that's how ffmpeg and mkvmerge does it, they just do it without a two step process, it does the same thing with 1 command. You just never actually see the .wav file being extracted.

(Someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

If you use some older programs to manually do it, it goes to a .wav first then back to the dts core. Maybe if stax76 implements this it'll work in one step.

He can add it in the audio options correctly and he will be able to add it in the demux window when you do a manual work flow. An option like reduce to core similiar to mkvtoolnix would work great. (The audio profile could work both with ffmpeg and eac3to, the later isn't updated ever so i never use it, the demux section could use mkvmerge) it could even be done in the final muxing stage with mkvmerge

Until then my custom profile works perfectly

Stax76 is pretty good at keeping up with this and responding. I wish I knew how to do more then write scripts.

I'm glad it worked out for you Vince!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited by jlw_4049; 18th May 2020 at 13:25.
Old 18th May 2020, 13:49   #1829  |  Link
44vince44

@jlw_4049, I am doing tests to confirm several things, trying to tweak, and this whole work revealed missing features in the command line edit window:
Working of course on the ffmpeg solution

1) .dts is a known and valid extension for dts streams that are unpadded, and it should be used here (wav has no meaning unless you are preparing your stream to be burned on an audio DTS CD)
unpadded streams (dts, ac3 etc) are the proper streams used by ffmpeg and all encoders/decoders/muxers. Wav has nothing to do here, except if you intend to burn a cd.

TEST CONFIRMATION : Successful, so you should put dts instead of wav (it didn't crash nor fail)

2) In the command line, you must not have this: -disposition:a default -metadata:s:a language=eng
those have no effect at this stage. you can select the language in the drop down box "language".
currently you can set language with this drop-down, but you can't select if default of forced track. And this is the missing feature (you can try it, use -metadata:s:a language=fre or ara of whatever, you'll see the resulting file will not carry this info. Also -disposition:a default will have no effect, you won't have the default status, check it with mediainfo).

This is the output-file mediainfo audio section:
Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 49 s 56 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 8.82 MiB (62%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No

and this is the original before processing

Format : DTS XLL
Commercial name : DTS-HD Master Audio
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s)_Original : 8 channels
ChannelLayout_Original : C L R LFE Lsr Rsr Lss Rss
Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
Frame rate : 187.500 FPS (512 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Default : Yes
Duration_Source : General_Duration

3) The way you've done it and I've re-done it is already a one step, I don't undertsand what we need more, except that it is should be a default profile, and that the missing features are added for the command line window: missing features are : default and forced statuses.

Last edited by 44vince44; 18th May 2020 at 13:56.
Old 18th May 2020, 14:12   #1830  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
@jlw_4049, I am doing tests to confirm several things, trying to tweak, and this whole work revealed missing features in the command line edit window:
Working of course on the ffmpeg solution

1) .dts is a known and valid extension for dts streams that are unpadded, and it should be used here (wav has no meaning unless you are preparing your stream to be burned on an audio DTS CD)
unpadded streams (dts, ac3 etc) are the proper streams used by ffmpeg and all encoders/decoders/muxers. Wav has nothing to do here, except if you intend to burn a cd.

TEST CONFIRMATION : Successful, so you should put dts instead of wav (it didn't crash nor fail)

2) In the command line, you must not have this: -disposition:a default -metadata:s:a language=eng
those have no effect at this stage. you can select the language in the drop down box "language".
currently you can set language with this drop-down, but you can't select if default of forced track. And this is the missing feature (you can try it, use -metadata:s:a language=fre or ara of whatever, you'll see the resulting file will not carry this info. Also -disposition:a default will have no effect, you won't have the default status, check it with mediainfo).

This is the output-file mediainfo audio section:
Audio

and this is the original before processing

Format : DTS XLL
Commercial name : DTS-HD Master Audio
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s)_Original : 8 channels
ChannelLayout_Original : C L R LFE Lsr Rsr Lss Rss
Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
Frame rate : 187.500 FPS (512 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Default : Yes
Duration_Source : General_Duration

3) The way you've done it and I've re-done it is already a one step, I don't undertsand what we need more, except that it is should be a default profile, and that the missing features are added for the command line window: missing features are : default and forced statuses.
I'll do some more testing when I get back to my computer in a little bit.

However in the meantime try disposition:a:0 default
And
-metadata:s:a:0 language=eng
And tell me if that works.

Last edited by jlw_4049; 18th May 2020 at 14:16.
Old 18th May 2020, 14:26   #1831  |  Link
44vince44

I just tried it, it is in my previous post, see by yourself

Audio

So "disposition:a:0 default " doesn't work as you can see above, and there is no way it can work at this stage because this is metadata for the container. Here we are at a stream level.
and neither -metadata:s:a:0 language=eng will work for the same reason! Language is passed through to muxer from the value you've selected in the Language box.

I made a new bug report so that we can have default and Forced flags selection checkboxes, as it is in all other audio edit settings.

Last edited by 44vince44; 18th May 2020 at 14:35.
Old 18th May 2020, 16:15   #1832  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
I just tried it, it is in my previous post, see by yourself

Audio

So "disposition:a:0 default " doesn't work as you can see above, and there is no way it can work at this stage because this is metadata for the container. Here we are at a stream level.
and neither -metadata:s:a:0 language=eng will work for the same reason! Language is passed through to muxer from the value you've selected in the Language box.

I made a new bug report so that we can have default and Forced flags selection checkboxes, as it is in all other audio edit settings.
That makes perfect sense. I didn't think about it that way.

Grab latest BETA here
https://staxrip.readthedocs.io/introduction.html#beta

Last edited by jlw_4049; 18th May 2020 at 17:09.
Old 18th May 2020, 17:11   #1833  |  Link
stax76

There is a new beta that addresses some issues (announced in the other staxrip thread).
Old 18th May 2020, 17:12   #1834  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
There is a new beta that addresses some issues (announced in the other staxrip thread).
wooow! I didn't know there was another staxrip thread haha. So should we take all discussions about staxrip over there then?
Old 18th May 2020, 17:20   #1835  |  Link
stax76

Problem with this thread is, first post don't point to https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip
Old 18th May 2020, 17:23   #1836  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
@colinhunt

2.1.1.3 is portable, I've not installed avisynth or fftw, tried all your configuration and it worked fine.
Okay. Well, here Prores export worked only after I installed Avisynth. I dunno what else to tell you. But it works now, so all's well that ends well, yeah?
Old 18th May 2020, 17:25   #1837  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Problem with this thread is, first post don't point to https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip
I will take my discussion over there from now on. Thanks sir!

Old 18th May 2020, 17:47   #1838  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khun_Doug View Post
A lot of AVISynth filters perform really well when using PreFetch. Look through the menus and for the MT Mode stuff and you should find the option to set the number of threads (that's the prefetch). If you have 8 threads on your CPU, try setting PreFetch to 4, or 6, or even 8. You can really get a remarkable speed bump this way.

One note: I have an AMD 3950X with 16 cores / 32 threads. I found the sweet spot to be between 12 and 16 threads when using X265. Just because you have a lot of threads does not mean you will get a speed bump beyond a certain point.
Thanks, I'll look into PreFetch/MT stuff!
Old 18th May 2020, 19:37   #1839  |  Link
44vince44

@Patman, I see you have now separate builds for AVX and AVX2. Didn't the "regular" builds check for available instruction sets on your hardware and use them ?
Old 18th May 2020, 19:48   #1840  |  Link
44vince44

and btw @Patman, I saw also you have compiled ffmpeg with gcc10, that must have been quite some work !!! Thanks !!!
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265