Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 12th June 2017, 16:30   #41  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Obviously I was talking about the spatial placement as that was the point raised by hello_hello. B and b are the top and bottom fields of a single progressive frame, so it doesn't matter what order they are displayed in. They don't have to be displayed together in the same frame as you claim; indeed that is why you see 3 interlaced frames followed by two progressive when stepping by frames. 3:2 pulldown was designed to put film on interlaced 29.97fps (NTSC). If all this were not the case then 3:2 pulldown would not work and would be useless. And applying pulldown to non-progressive frames is stupid. So many pedants and quibblers at this forum!

Sorry to hear about your learning limitations. It explains a lot.

Last edited by videoh; 12th June 2017 at 16:48.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 16:51   #42  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Katie, this intended more for those who already have some coding experience, but maybe of some use (at least to get the gist of it).

https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c++/

Was brought to my attention as link (to Python I think) in Vapoursynth docs.
(Lots more Learn X in Y minutes, from the home page).

Not interactive.
EDIT: Took me way more than 2 days to learn C.

EDIT: Actually, above was for CPP, here for C:- https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c/

And the parent page with bucket loads more subjects:- https://learnxinyminutes.com/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th June 2017 at 17:12.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 17:02   #43  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

IMO, any book can be made "interactive" by simply typing the examples into a compiler and running them, single-stepping them, looking at the variables, trying out small modifications, etc.

Last edited by videoh; 12th June 2017 at 17:06.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 17:11   #44  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Katie, this intended more for those who already have some coding experience, but maybe of some use (at least to get the gist of it).

https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c++/
That's just horrible.

It used to be "Learn C/C++ in 7 days", then 24 hours, now it's minutes (WTF?). These things always fall short, mainly because they tell you what do to but not why.
Kernighan and Ritchie is hard to beat for plain C.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 17:27   #45  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I took copies of about 10 or 12 pages from that site, when trying to figure out what a python script was doing and why it did not work for me.
(called something like "Avisynth Trackin", or similar, track moving objects frame by frame).

With help of the XinYmins thing, was quickly able to figure out that it was because I had Phython 3 installed, and Trackin thing required v2.???.
(I got it workin OK, IIRC, Print works different for v2.0 and v3.0, Function(v3) instead of Subroutine, I think)

Handy to have if you just want to get at something quick.

Worst part for me learning C was figuring out where all of them there damn Semi Colons (';') went, seemed like you just liberally scattered
them wherever there seemed to be too much white space.
(K&R for me too, I remember studying for days, the Bachus Naur notation [or something like that] at the back of the book).

EDIT: Backus–Naur,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backus%E2%80%93Naur_form

EDIT: Search Google C interpreter for do it yourself, interactive play time:- https://www.google.co.uk/search?site...k1.6UXaWXRe-F0

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th June 2017 at 18:14.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2023, 03:58   #46  |  Link
flossy_cake

This thread was very informative, thank you.

There is however one problem still: my Sony DVD player, when playing soft telecine content which contains 95% film, is able to do something DVD2AVI's "force film" cannot do: detect those 5% combed frames by looking at frame flags. I believe our current tools only allow this to be done by analysing pixels for combing patterns. Obviously it would be better to use the frame flags since that is more reliable (well, assuming the post company or software they used didn't muck it up )

It appears that LWlibavVideoSource(repeat=false) is able to get those frame flags in real time as it updates the _FieldBased frame property every frame. But LWLibAVVideoSource is bugged and cannot play back the video at correct speed when doing this - it's some sort of bug, it plays 23.976 at around 24.1. I have mentioned it on the git issues thread here.

DirectShowSource has a similar problem - it gets it right for a while, but then after a while audio sync goes out (or it just randomly starts stuttering really badly, depending on convertfps=true/false setting).

So for now the only 2 real-time options for handling soft telecine seem to be:

Option 1: use FFmpegSource2(rffmode=2) which uses DVD2AVI's "force film" mode which outputs 95% progressive frames (23p) at the correct speed. Then for the 5% combed frames, manually detect & deint them with IsCombedTIVC (or whatever your preferred filter is for detecting combed frames).

Option 2: use LWlibavVideoSource(repeat=true) or FFmpegSource2(rffmode=1) , which will convert it to hard telecine (29i). Then use TFM.TDecimate to convert it back to 23p.

Here is a test clip recommended as short clips I find tend to have broken frame flags and led me to numerous false conclusions https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xz_...usp=share_link . This is MPEG2 remux from the NTSC DVD and hasn't been clipped or altered in any way apart from putting it inside a mkv container.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 12th January 2023 at 04:11.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote