Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th August 2015, 21:11   #441  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Sweet, thank you! Downloading...
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 21:44   #442  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

If you demux the AVC ES from the TS and then convert that to MKV with mmg.exe everything is fine and acts exactly the same as if you index the TS.

If you feed the TS directly into mmg.exe then everything gets hosed, and frames are lost at the start.

Conclusion: Your guess was correct. mmg.exe is not properly reading the TS. It is not unusual for applications to fail miserably at parsing interlaced transport streams. Apparently mmg.exe is yet another example. You should demux the audio and video, apply a delay correction to the audio as needed (or do it when muxing MKV), and then mux them into an MKV.

Last edited by videoh; 19th August 2015 at 21:55.
Old 19th August 2015, 22:03   #443  |  Link
dejong12

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
If you demux the AVC ES from the TS and then convert that to MKV with mmg.exe everything is fine and acts exactly the same as if you index the TS.

If you feed the TS directly into mmg.exe then everything gets hosed, and frames are lost at the start.

Conclusion: Your guess was correct. mmg.exe is not properly reading the TS. It is not unusual for applications to fail miserably at parsing interlaced transport streams. Apparently mmg.exe is yet another example. You should demux the audio and video, apply a delay correction to the audio as needed (or do it when muxing MKV), and then mux them into an MKV.
Thank you for investigating the issue and providing a solution! I'll raise the issue at the creator of MKVToolnix.
dejong12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 22:08   #444  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

My pleasure. Good luck with your projects and thank you for bringing to light the bad version I had online.
Old 19th August 2015, 22:27   #445  |  Link
stax76

I think mkvmerge uses time codes so it works fine for playback but is unusable for encoding. dsmux muxes it better allowing for encoding afterwards, unfortunately it fails on certain sources and it's discontinued.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 22:39   #446  |  Link
dejong12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I think mkvmerge uses time codes so it works fine for playback but is unusable for encoding. dsmux muxes it better allowing for encoding afterwards, unfortunately it fails on certain sources and it's discontinued.
I've just tried to remux the .ts into .mkv with dsmux and I can confirm that the resulting .mkv works correctly in DGDecNV, so there's a problem with mkvmerge. And my apologies for hijacking the thread.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:26   #447  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I'm not seeing what you are seeing.
Downloaded episode.ts, used "mkvmerge -o episode.mkv episode.ts" (mkvmerge 8.3.0).
Opened using lwlibavvideosource(), both files show exactly 34500 frames. Mkv timecodes are 100% regular.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 23:30   #448  |  Link
dejong12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Downloaded episode.ts, used "mkvmerge -o episode.mkv episode.ts" (mkvmerge 8.3.0).
Opened using lwlibavvideosource(), both files show exactly 34500 frames. Mkv timecodes are 100% regular.
It only happens when using DGSource as a source filter.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:35   #449  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Maybe videoh can add his knowledge about what exactly is wrong with the mkvmerge output to your bug report:
https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues/1409

What does DGSource do when a stream does not start on a recovery point?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 23:45   #450  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejong12 View Post
I've just tried to remux the .ts into .mkv with dsmux and I can confirm that the resulting .mkv works correctly in DGDecNV, so there's a problem with mkvmerge. And my apologies for hijacking the thread.
It's not really a bug or something as far as I can see, it's more a limitation and a better implementation is rather unlikely because it should be very hard to do even for a master programmer like Mosu, you can create a ticket but don't expect much.
Old 20th August 2015, 00:06   #451  |  Link
dejong12

Stax, another "problem". I've imported yadif x64 into the latest StaxRip version, but it's not deinterlacing correctly. I can see some color (de)blending happening. Neither deinterlacer works 100% correctly. When using the last x86 version of StaxRip (1.2.2.2) and using the same encoding settings with yadif, the deinterlacing works as it should, deinterlacing the source file 100% correctly.
Old 20th August 2015, 03:28   #452  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
I used 7.9.0.
Old 20th August 2015, 03:29   #453  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejong12 View Post
It only happens when using DGSource as a source filter.
Nah. I simply used mmg on your TS. DGSource didn't enter at all. And you said you have no issue when using dsmux to create the mkv.

Last edited by videoh; 20th August 2015 at 03:32.
Old 20th August 2015, 03:30   #454  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
What does DGSource do when a stream does not start on a recovery point?
Any frames before the first decodable one are replaced with copies of the first decodable frame.
Old 20th August 2015, 08:56   #455  |  Link
dejong12

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Nah. I simply used mmg on your TS. DGSource didn't enter at all. And you said you have no issue when using dsmux to create the mkv.
I'm just saying that when you convert the uploaded TS to MKV (not with DSMux) and import that MKV into StaxRip the problem only shows when using DGSource. The other source filters handle the MKV fine.

Last edited by dejong12; 20th August 2015 at 09:06.
Old 20th August 2015, 09:32   #456  |  Link
stax76

muxing ts to mkv using mkvmerge is probably not a good idea if you want to encode afterwards, it should get async with other source filters too, not necessarily always but probably often, I experimented a while with it with little success, in this time I found out about dsmux.
Old 20th August 2015, 09:36   #457  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
muxing ts to mkv using mkvmerge is probably not a good idea if you want to encode afterwards
I was wondering about that - why re-mux the .ts to mkv?
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 09:47   #458  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
I was wondering about that - why re-mux the .ts to mkv?
because most tools fail on ts producing async output, dsmux at least sometimes helps to get around this, people without DGDecNV license or other payware like TS-Doctor or VideoRedo don't have great choice. At one point I wanted to code a TS demuxer myself, I would probably done it already, the problem is I practically never have TS sources personally so my motivation working on it is rather limited.
Old 20th August 2015, 16:07   #459  |  Link
Ajvar

stax76, can you please tell me, does this 64 bit version provides video comparison feature (aka Codec comparison) and if you ever make a separate app for this? Last version I used was 1.2.2.2 beta and you wrote that you updated that coparison afterwards however I never could successfully download your Alphas of x86.

Thank you.

EDIT: It is working fine after installing Avisynth+.

Last edited by Ajvar; 20th August 2015 at 16:32.
Ajvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 19:48   #460  |  Link
dejong12

Videoh, could you take a look at what the creator of mkvmerge had to say about the issue?
https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues/1409