Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th June 2019, 03:36   #56481  |  Link
huhn

don't you think normal user have a reason to feel aborted? no word here on the RTX issues no bug fix release with over 1 year old assigned bugs to be fair none of the assigned bugs are important.

without leaning to far out of the window communication could be better.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 04:05   #56482  |  Link
Warner306

He might have run into some issues with the Envy. Can't expect everything to go smoothly on a completely new piece of hardware with complex software. I would doubt that he isn't working on something related to this project. You just don't always get hear about it on these forums.

The developer in charge of this thread seems to do everything a step at time without much communication, unless online. Odd to me, too. He's probably not on a party boat making fun of you for complaining...

Last edited by Warner306; 5th June 2019 at 04:07.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 04:37   #56483  |  Link
Warner306

I should say that status updates on what is being worked on would help. I keep seeing the same faces here and especially at AVS Forum that really want to see a completed or near completed version of the tone mapping. They are already sold on using it over any other solution for HDR content on their projectors and don't have any idea when it might be finished. That includes many potential Envy customers who are currently on PC. The other issues mentioned...probably on the backburner until then.

Last edited by Warner306; 5th June 2019 at 04:39.
Old 5th June 2019, 05:38   #56484  |  Link
ryrynz

Thankfully it looks like it's about 95+% done.. Let's hope he's satisfied enough with it at that point to put any further improvements on the shelf.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 08:28   #56485  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
don't you think normal user have a reason to feel aborted?
No, they don't. It's not like they paid anything, right ? Madvr is a free software, and nobody is entitled to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I should say that status updates on what is being worked on would help.
But there are status updates. Development is active, test builds are released and work great, and he's working with the help of people from AVS (especially Neo-XP) on tweaking the dynamic tone mapping algorithm to get right movie scenes with sudden brightness changes like lightning flashes. And I believe next step is to implement some kind of buffering system to analyze a few incoming frames (he calls it "looking ahead") to enhance his DTM algorithm even more.

C'mon guys, just be patient and thankful that some guys are working their asses for free for all of us.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Last edited by Charky; 5th June 2019 at 08:30.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 11:38   #56486  |  Link
ryrynz

Most of us are fairly well aware of everything that you said. It doesn't change the facts though.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 12:05   #56487  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
No, they don't. It's not like they paid anything, right ? Madvr is a free software, and nobody is entitled to anything.

C'mon guys, just be patient and thankful that some guys are working their asses for free for all of us.
Exactly. Only those can truly understand this who ever work(ed) on any software for the masses (free/opensource projects) for a longer period of time. The continuous and never ending problem solving - that not necessarily related to bugs in the software itself -, the long lasting support, the unstoppable moaning ... These definitely won't help to maintain interest. Not to mention real life that becomes more-and-more important in time.
If you ask bunch of devs whether they work on any free software, loads of them would say "screw that!"
He is "just" one guy and the project(s) got enormous ...
Old 5th June 2019, 13:05   #56488  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
But there are status updates. Development is active, test builds are released and work great, and he's working with the help of people from AVS (especially Neo-XP) on tweaking the dynamic tone mapping algorithm to get right movie scenes with sudden brightness changes like lightning flashes. And I believe next step is to implement some kind of buffering system to analyze a few incoming frames (he calls it "looking ahead") to enhance his DTM algorithm even more.

That is true. But there are a lot of time gaps in communication and no clear indication on timeframes. Taking some time to answer unrelated questions would remove the frustration of those who post them.

I also agree that there is no reason to complain when builds are available for those that must have them. It does seem like madshi took on too much work for one person and needs to catch up. Burn out is possible and doesn't necessitate taking on even more work.
Old 5th June 2019, 13:17   #56489  |  Link
mclingo

Something to ponder on.

Few of us are doing a very good job keeping this thread clean for MADSHI, 99% of the conversations on here should have been on the GENERAL thread which MADSHI need not read, there is too much spam on here now, if we dont keep it clean it will just make the thread more and more daunting for MADSHI to revisit and catch up on regularly.
Old 5th June 2019, 14:30   #56490  |  Link
neodraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah you either have hardware or software instability. I assume that you've gamed on the 2080 yeah? If so that rules out problems with the hardware..
You should look first at uninstalling your graphics drivers with DDU and reinstalling, this isn't a issue with madVR, it's your system that's at fault.
Wouldn't hurt to run a System File Check too if you're still having issues after reinstalling the GPU driver.
Also, wouldn't hurt to reset settings for whatever media player you're using along with madVR, try that first.
Hi,

I did everything you mentionned: remove the drivers with DDU, install them back, reset PotPlayer and MadVR settings, I did a system file check which found and fix a problem.
As @tp4tissue asked, I also did a 15mn GPU test with Furmark without problem.

But as soon as I put back the setting I use in MadVR, this made my PC crash when I went into fullscreen with H.264 files.

I did more tests, and pinpointed the settings that make my PC crash :

In the MadVR settings, when super-xdr or NGU are activated in the chrome and image upscaling, if both "sharpen edges" and "thin edges" are activated at the same time in the upscaling refinement, then this will make my PC crash when entering fullscreen using H.264 files (that usually works fine with H.265 files).

So for the moment if I only activate "sharpen edges" or "thin edges" (not both at the same time), then that works.

Are those settings incompatible ?
neodraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 15:07   #56491  |  Link
mclingo

shouldnt be log this as a bug:

http://bugs.madshi.net/view_all_bug_...d=4&dummy=bla/
Old 5th June 2019, 15:37   #56492  |  Link
dzonibegood

Hello!

I'm responding again for the second time but more prepared as i have managed to make MPC HC work with madVR and LAV filters. Now my issue is that the image somewhat looks like it has a "greenish" tint to it with madVR HDR. When watching with VLC HDR it looks proper coloration. No tints at all.
I have enabled madVR with the hardware accelleration and followed all the instructions to properly set the madVR for HDR reproduction. Everyone announces and says that madVR is definitive version to go but if it is then why does it look worse (color reproduction faulty with a green tint) compared to VLC 3.0.6 HDR?
HDR has been enabled in windows and there is literally almost no difference between the two beside this feint greenish tint to it when watching with MadVR.

Am I doing something wrong here? Did i not set MadVR correctly? This is happening across all the players i tried with MadVR. Bellow you will find links to 2 images for madVR and the same shots with VLC, please if you can assist me here it would be very helpful for me as i do want to use the definitive player for HDR reproduction.

MadVR HDR
VLC HDR

My configuration:
Sony XF90 55 inch display
PC: i5 6600k @ 4.7ghz
RX480 with 8 gigs
16 gigs of DDR4
dzonibegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 17:21   #56493  |  Link
mclingo

is it me or does MADVR look more natural, perhaps the issue with VLC?
Old 5th June 2019, 17:45   #56494  |  Link
Charky

I'm not a color psychopath but TBH the difference is barely noticeable (and close to not at all for the second screenshot) even when you look at the screenshots side by side or switch between them back and forth.

At this point it's not even possible to tell which one is supposed to be the right one. For all we know, madvr could be more faithful to the original source and VLC give the movie a blueish tint.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 18:23   #56495  |  Link
Klaus1189

The green is too much, so are the reds (-> face). Take a look at these threads:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...E-colors-wrong
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...ck#post2045830
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 18:52   #56496  |  Link
SamuriHL

The frustration is somewhat valid. But remember that madshi is nothing if not ambitious. Tackling the HDR tone mapping was a HUGE undertaking and he's got some REALLY amazing dedicated people working on it to help him. I think the scope of that project was far bigger than anyone could imagine. Then throw out the Envy work being done and remember that NONE OF THIS is madshi's day job. It was his intention last November to have a new release out within a couple weeks with improved tone mapping, but, they kept finding issues that have take a lot of work to iron out. Also, I don't believe they are anywhere near "done" on the HDR side of things. madshi has talked about when this phase is complete what comes next with things like being able to look several frames ahead and other improvements. That does sort of leave the rest of the product stuck until that work is finished. So yes, I get the frustration. I also appreciate the insane work he's been doing and I know you guys get that. Good things will come in time.
Old 5th June 2019, 19:48   #56497  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzonibegood View Post
Am I doing something wrong here? Did i not set MadVR correctly? This is happening across all the players i tried with MadVR. Bellow you will find links to 2 images for madVR and the same shots with VLC, please if you can assist me here it would be very helpful for me as i do want to use the definitive player for HDR reproduction.
There is way too many variables to answer such a question. The green-tinted version may even be the correct one. Or there is a configuration mistake, which we can't even begin to guess at.
Old 5th June 2019, 23:57   #56498  |  Link
dzonibegood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
There is way too many variables to answer such a question. The green-tinted version may even be the correct one. Or there is a configuration mistake, which we can't even begin to guess at.
It happens on all movies and when played directly from TV via USB it doesn't have that green tint. It looks identical to VLC 3.0.6 actually. So i'm honestly confused here. I did not modify any settings in madVR or the player itself. It is a fresh install of madVR and the player itself that's why i'm asking. Is there some option that i have to flip on to get the correct tone map for HDR?

Quote:
I'm not a color psychopath but TBH the difference is barely noticeable (and close to not at all for the second screenshot) even when you look at the screenshots side by side or switch between them back and forth.

At this point it's not even possible to tell which one is supposed to be the right one. For all we know, madvr could be more faithful to the original source and VLC give the movie a blueish tint.
Well If you take a look it's very easily discernable. Look at stalones hair. It looks greenish while on the VLC it looks black. Look how white is altering to feint green. It definitely is not natural.
It may not even be the issue with the madVR itself but the way the player itself is converting the colors that's why i'm writing here to see if i have to change something as i am running fresh player install with madVR.
You should always second guess if you are not unsure. Don't blindly trust because it says "MadVR".

Quote:
he green is too much, so are the reds (-> face). Take a look at these threads:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...E-colors-wrong
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...ck#post2045830
Will see if i find some kind of a fix in those threads and will post an update if i have managed to get the proper reproduction.

Quote:
is it me or does MADVR look more natural, perhaps the issue with VLC?
Definitely it is you because the colors do not look more natural but less natural as we don't see the world through a greenish tint, unless you are wearing sunglasses with greenish tint then it's alright.

Thank you guys for answering and will post my findings from the links provided! If you know more about this issue please reply!
dzonibegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 01:15   #56499  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Hi, is there any way I can read the settings.bin file in plain text? I got a new computer and want to transfer some of my old madVR settings, but I'm reluctant to just transfer the settings.bin file because I have also changed some hardware (e.g., my monitor and GPU). I'm afraid copying the settings.bin file from an old system will cause problems.

With other programs it hasn't been a huge deal. Most programs backup their settings in plain text of some sort, so I can just fire up Notepad++ and use the "compare" plugin to see which settings I want to transfer over. But madVR's settings.bin comes out as gibberish in Notepad++.
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 01:42   #56500  |  Link
huhn

the settings bin doesn't store settings about your hardware and even if something should go wrong it is nothing that can't be fixed by simply removing it.

@dzonibegood
don't use the windows 10 HDR feature it does what ever it wants to the image and worse to SDR too.

a claim about a green tint is meaningless without proper calibrated hardware and even harder with the TVs tone mapping which yet again does what ever it wants with the image.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling