Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 24th December 2015, 03:21   #20101  |  Link
FreeFall

nevcairiel,

The latest nightly builds are crashing when playing DVD's, happens with MPC-HC x86 / x64 and Zoom Player. Zoom Player shows a crash report pointing to avutil-lav-55.dll as the problem. The problem seems to affect LAVFilters-0.67.0-14 and later builds.

This is on Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Thanks.
FreeFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 09:56   #20102  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
nevcairiel,

The latest nightly builds are crashing when playing DVD's, happens with MPC-HC x86 / x64 and Zoom Player. Zoom Player shows a crash report pointing to avutil-lav-55.dll as the problem. The problem seems to affect LAVFilters-0.67.0-14 and later builds.

This is on Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Thanks.
Yes, it intermittent but Im replicating it on Win 10 x64 during DVD playback. Heres what the app log spat out from the crash:

Fault bucket 120380086268, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: mpc-be64.exe
P2: 1.4.6.1053
P3: 567b658a
P4: avutil-lav-55.dll
P5: 55.10.100.0
P6: 01185798
P7: c0000094
P8: 00000000000235cb
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 13:26   #20103  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Hi nevcairiel.
1 - thanks for you code for VP9 DXVA2, work great on GTX 960.
2 - can help deal with a small problem : when use LAVVideo and close playback do first calling CLAVVideo::BreakConnect() with dir == PINDIR_INPUT. When use MPC-BE's Video decoder, close playback - do first calling ::BreakConnect() with dir == PINDIR_OUTPUT.
I can not understand the reason for different behavior. Can you help me ??
Old 24th December 2015, 19:41   #20104  |  Link
mark0077

I also tried my Queen Greatest Hits DVD today and it also has issues but with the latest official version. With internal mpcbe mpeg2 decoder there's no issue. This DVD always seemed to cause ffdshow issues in the past but haruhiko had fixed all of those. Is it worth uploading the menu for this somewhere. Basically the menus freeze and windows blue spinning icon appears.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 06:22   #20105  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

https://yadi.sk/i/eFmQ-MWBiHWR3
About 50 second video stream changes (changing the frame size from 720x576 -> 1920x1080). In DXVA mode only Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder can normally handle this situation.

But - if you seeking this place, the resolution is changed and continues to play normally.
Old 25th December 2015, 09:49   #20106  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You should generally not have LAV convert video to RGB, especially on UHD content its just going to be rather slow because it uses the CPU for that
Thanks. Should this be default to leave it as untouched as input? Currently LAV is defaulting to PC levels 0-255.
Old 25th December 2015, 11:33   #20107  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Thanks. Should this be default to leave it as untouched as input? Currently LAV is defaulting to PC levels 0-255.
The option makes no difference if you don't force RGB conversion by disabling everything else. And once you do convert, full range RGB is more standard. There is usually a reason for the defaults to be what they are
Old 27th December 2015, 13:23   #20108  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
1. Which parameter of a nested chapter is used in LAV Splitter?

The duration of an ordered-nested-chapter seems not to be used. Only the start time marks the chapter.
Also the segment uid will be ignored and an existing chapter-segment-link will not work.
Only the primary chapters directly under an edition are used for "ordered chapters", anything else wouldn't really make much sense, IMHO.
You can't "nest" ordered chapters, the interaction with the top level and the levels further downwards would be very bizzare.

For example, in your "00 Menu nested chapters.mkv", you have a top level chapter that says (Episode 2) "Play 0:00.000 to 0:07.487 from Segment #2", which is a clear instruction.
Then nested chapters try to override this - the first nested chapter says "Play 0:00.000 to 0:02.000 from Segment #1". Is this supposed to override the first 2 seconds of the top level chapter? Or make it longer? Its just not clear what its supposed to do, because there is no clear spec.

A more logical way to approach this would be to not have the top level chapters actually be ordered chapters, and only the level below - but alas thats not how it was designed, or how any other ordered chapters MKV works.

So in short, top level chapters inside an edition are used for ordered chapters, any further nested chapters are purely cosmetical for navigation purposes.

Quote:
2. Is this a bug or a not implemented feature?

Nested chapters are not really good documented and I think you has programmed this so good you knew.
Sounds like you are doing something that its not meant for.

If you really want to shove multiple episodes into one mkv, best would probably to use one edition for each. That way you can even share OP/EDs properly.
Or don't use nested chapters, and just name them differently, ie. name them like LAV would name them if they are nested "+ [Name]" etc, that way it looks like its nested, but its all top-level.

Otherwise, nested ordered chapters are not something that works. The top level chapters under the edition need to be the ordered chapter entries, no others will be used for ordered chapter handling.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 27th December 2015 at 13:30.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 14:18   #20109  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Only the primary chapters directly under an edition are used for "ordered chapters", anything else wouldn't really make much sense, IMHO.
You can't "nest" ordered chapters, the interaction with the top level and the levels further downwards would be very bizzare.
Ok. I figured out that LAV work like you described but I think thats a limit of your programming and not a limit of the specs.
I have seen other menu chapter.xml files which have nested ordered chapters.

A possible way for ordered chapters is set the ChapterTimeEnd equal to the ChapterTimeStart or let it empty. If you found such top-level ordered chapter and it has nested chapters too, than you could use this start and end times for ordered chapter handling.

Quote:
For example, in your "00 Menu nested chapters.mkv", you have a top level chapter that says (Episode 2) "Play 0:00.000 to 0:07.487 from Segment #2", which is a clear instruction.
Then nested chapters try to override this - the first nested chapter says "Play 0:00.000 to 0:02.000 from Segment #1". Is this supposed to override the first 2 seconds of the top level chapter? Or make it longer? Its just not clear what its supposed to do, because there is no clear spec.

A more logical way to approach this would be to not have the top level chapters actually be ordered chapters, and only the level below - but alas thats not how it was designed, or how any other ordered chapters MKV works.

So in short, top level chapters inside an edition are used for ordered chapters, any further nested chapters are purely cosmetical for navigation purposes.

Sounds like you are doing something that its not meant for.

If you really want to shove multiple episodes into one mkv, best would probably to use one edition for each. That way you can even share OP/EDs properly.
Or don't use nested chapters, and just name them differently, ie. name them like LAV would name them if they are nested "+ [Name]" etc, that way it looks like its nested, but its all top-level.

Otherwise, nested ordered chapters are not something that works. The top level chapters under the edition need to be the ordered chapter entries, no others will be used for ordered chapter handling.

Normally my Matroska menu editor creates for each episode an edition and an edition with all episode. It works like it should.
Only if in the episodes an existing segment-link to another file then it doesnt work with nested chapters well.
(but I think I can write a workaround)

I know LAV Splitter has other priorities and maybe you have in future a little bit time to enhance the Matroska splitting.
I would help you if you like.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 14:22   #20110  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Ok. I figured out that LAV work like you described but I think thats a limit of your programming and not a limit of the specs.
I have seen other menu chapter.xml files which have nested ordered chapters.
You have to ask yourself one thing:
Does it work with Haali Splitter?

If the answer is No, then the specification does not allow it.
There is no written specification for ordered chapters, whatever works with Haali is the specification. And I'm not going to invent any arcane use-cases that are never going to be used by more than 2 people anyway.
Old 27th December 2015, 16:52   #20111  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
You have to ask yourself one thing:
Does it work with Haali Splitter?
Im sure it would not work with Haali Splitter, cause the segment-linking works not perfect like you said(many posts before).
The other reason is Haali was not a fan of a menu so i think he don't implement such a feature.

Quote:
And I'm not going to invent any arcane use-cases that are never going to be used by more than 2 people anyway.
Yes, that can I understand. How many people would be needed so that such a function is incorporated?
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 18:20   #20112  |  Link
thomaz909

i have a problem with 0.67.

when i install 0.67 i cant bitstream "Reclock encoded AC3" over "Realtek HDMI Audio" anymore.
with 0.65 all fine.

same settings used for both versions.

i absolutely have no idea what happens.

reclock shows that it gets 6 channels and reclock output say that it is in "ac3 enc mode (wave out)" but my denon avr stays in "analog" mode which indicates that no digital signal is coming.
then i run 0.65 installer and after that it works again immediately.

Last edited by thomaz909; 27th December 2015 at 19:40.
thomaz909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 19:45   #20113  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Thats a ReClock bug. You can fix it by checking the legacy 5.1 layout option in LAV settings.
Old 27th December 2015, 22:05   #20114  |  Link
thomaz909

yes,
it works.
thx.
thomaz909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 10:07   #20115  |  Link
Nullack

Thanks very much Hendrik for the commit in the git log fixing DVDs cheers
Old 28th December 2015, 12:58   #20116  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Thanks very much Hendrik for the commit in the git log fixing DVDs cheers
I was meaning to comment on that last night but got distracted. But yes, it should be working again in the latest nightly, hopefully.

Do let me know if the issue persists.
Old 28th December 2015, 13:03   #20117  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
https://yadi.sk/i/eFmQ-MWBiHWR3
About 50 second video stream changes (changing the frame size from 720x576 -> 1920x1080). In DXVA mode only Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder can normally handle this situation.

But - if you seeking this place, the resolution is changed and continues to play normally.
The behavior seems to be quite similar in software mode and in DXVA mode for me. It briefly hangs and shows artifacts for a second, then just continues without problems.
Since software mode behaves the same way, it seems like a problem in the FFmpeg decoder. Having said that, resolution changes are a bit on the complicated side as it is. If there is a clean cut in the video stream it should work OK, but not always.
Old 28th December 2015, 13:12   #20118  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

It's working on Nvidia, but fail on ATI. But - Microsoft video decoder fine on ATI too.
Old 28th December 2015, 17:07   #20119  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
I was meaning to comment on that last night but got distracted. But yes, it should be working again in the latest nightly, hopefully.

Do let me know if the issue persists.
Nev do you still have the Queen Greatest Hits I DVD. I remember a while back I posted lots of issues with both it and the Star Wars Episode II DVD with LAV Video Decoder. Just even with the latest nightly using LAV Video for the Queen DVD, it pretty much doesn't work at all anymore. The windows blue spinning icon appears when I navigate to Title 1.

If you have it would you mind trying it with the latest nightly?
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 17:20   #20120  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The spinning icon would indicate a problem with the player instead, it gets stuck in its main thread, which LAV should have no direct control over.
I don't think I have that DVD.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter