Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st January 2018, 20:36   #48741  |  Link
-Hitman-

Hi, I've found a serious banding issue (scenes with white clouds show a pink posterization/banding effect) with UHD HDR movies, located the source to be DXVA2 - if I disable H/W acceleration (Native DXVA2) in the LAV video codec, then the banding is gone and the scenes look normal but start getting dropped frames w/out DXVA2.

I'm using an intel 8700k with on-board Intel 630 GPU, tried MB latest graphic drivers and also intel's latest offering but both exactly the same, anyone any idea's how to fix this issue?

Player MPC-BE
Latest MadVR
Latest LAV codecs - all used with UHD playback

Thanks.

Images...

Last edited by -Hitman-; 31st January 2018 at 20:50. Reason: IMG links added
-Hitman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 21:09   #48742  |  Link
Asmodian

Do you get the same issue with DXVA2 copy-back or D3D11 decoding in LAV? DXVA2 native decoding is known to damage quality on Nvidia GPUs (maybe Intel has issues too?).
Old 31st January 2018, 21:18   #48743  |  Link
-Hitman-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Do you get the same issue with DXVA2 copy-back or D3D11 decoding in LAV? DXVA2 native decoding is known to damage quality on Nvidia GPUs (maybe Intel has issues too?).
I tested no H/W decoding, DXVA copyback and intel quick sync - all are clear but I get dropped frames with them all, Intel quick sync had the worst dropped frames, only DXVA native gave no DF but with the banding as mentioned..
Old 31st January 2018, 21:20   #48744  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Do you use DXVA scaling? (press ctrl+j)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 21:30   #48745  |  Link
-Hitman-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Do you use DXVA scaling? (press ctrl+j)
Chroma upscaling?

This is set in madvr to lanczos 3 taps +AR

Only downscaling I see (in madvr), is set for DXVA, this would not be used with 4k UHD on a 4K display.

Edit: Ctrl+j only mentions DVXA once - P010, 10bit, 4:2:0 (DXVA2)

Last edited by -Hitman-; 31st January 2018 at 21:50. Reason: IMG added
Old 31st January 2018, 21:53   #48746  |  Link
arrgh

@madshi
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...45#post1827545
referring to my above post you answered
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The decoder queue seems to be empty. Does it ever go higher than 1-1/16? If not, the decoder is your problem.
no, the queue never fills; so, nevcairiel came to the conclusion that an Intel driver bug prevents for those files the hardware decoding in LAV .83; so he issued .88 where the hardware decoding is disabled; but still problems remained : a choppy/jerky playback;

so, nevcairiel came to the conclusion that it is a renderer problem :
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...63#post1831863
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Software decoding is independent of the OS you use, or the drivers you have installed, so if you're seeing issues on one OS and not on another, its far more likely that this is caused by the rendering - which is outside of LAVs control.
only if I change the 3D setting in madVR from "auto" to "side-by-side" (as nevcairiel suggested) a smooth playback also of the faulty file-type is possible, but it’s very unstable: as soon I go with the mouse over the seek bar or fast-Forward, the playback gets jerky again;

so I have a few questions:

does the “side-by-side” trick provide the same quality as the “auto” mode (are 2 FHD pictures sent to the TV which it combines to a 3D-picture)?

How can it be that some files are played ok/better than others? All are basically h264 with ssif, right…?

I have noted a few differences between the working and not-working files here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1832220

(just as a hint: Some days ago, I have sent via PM a link to a sample of such a working/not-working sample)
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 22:05   #48747  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
I tested no H/W decoding, DXVA copyback and intel quick sync - all are clear but I get dropped frames with them all, Intel quick sync had the worst dropped frames, only DXVA native gave no DF but with the banding as mentioned..
LAV nightly adds D3D11 in case you haven't tested yet.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 22:22   #48748  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Yeah, DXVA2 native sucks. It is a little faster though.

Edit: sneaker_ger's point is important, D3D11 Native decoding is better than DXVA2 Native and also does not copyback, give it a try.
Old 31st January 2018, 22:27   #48749  |  Link
-Hitman-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
LAV nightly adds D3D11 in case you haven't tested yet.
+ @Asmodian

Thanks guy's, thought H/W decoding - disabled, initiated D3D11.

I'll get it installed and report back.
Old 31st January 2018, 22:39   #48750  |  Link
-Hitman-

Brilliant, D3D11 works perfect and now nice and clear, better stats too.

Big thanks!
Old 1st February 2018, 07:00   #48751  |  Link
Axelpowa

Quote:
Yeah, DXVA2 native sucks. It is a little faster though.

Edit: sneaker_ger's point is important, D3D11 Native decoding is better than DXVA2 Native and also does not copyback, give it a try.
Hi Asmodian,

Could please elaborate a bit more about this?

What are the advantages from copy back over native? I'm still trying to learn about this and reading through Google is a bit confusing.

If I did understand correctly, with copy back you can use options in madvr that other way are not having any effect?

Also lav nightly with D3D11 is better than native?

I have a gtx 1080 msi armor gpu.

Regards!
Axelpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 07:58   #48752  |  Link
Asmodian

DXVA2 Native decoding blurs the chroma when it transfers to madVR but DXVA2 copyback does not. D3D11 native does not have this problem.

All native decoding methods skip madVR's CPU based algorithms because the video stays on the GPU after decoding; it is not copied back to system memory. madVR only has a few CPU based algorithms, IVTC/Film deinterlacing and cropping black bars, and with modern video sources these usually aren't needed.
Old 1st February 2018, 08:43   #48753  |  Link
Axelpowa

Quote:
DXVA2 Native decoding blurs the chroma when it transfers to madVR but DXVA2 copyback does not. D3D11 native does not have this problem.

All native decoding methods skip madVR's CPU based algorithms because the video stays on the GPU after decoding; it is not copied back to system memory. madVR only has a few CPU based algorithms, IVTC/Film deinterlacing and cropping black bars, and with modern video sources these usually aren't needed.
Many thanks! I will stick with copy back then.

Regards!
Axelpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 10:35   #48754  |  Link
varekai
Suspended for forum rule violations

Quote:

So would I be better off disabling "Hardware acceleration (DXVA) settings" -->" Use DXVA" --> "Use D3D11 DXVA first"?
Using PotPlayer + madVR.
Thinking that it would be better to let madVR do all the rendering job?

Best regards
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 12:25   #48755  |  Link
stefanelli73

I have an AMD RX480 video card, I use JRIVER media player and I use Windows 10 operating system, in VIDEO LAVs if I use COPY-BACK during a movie I have several dropped frames, while with Windows 8 it did not happen, instead with NATIVE 0 dropped frames; I also noticed that D3D11 does not decode well interlaced material, such as music concerts that are all at 1080i60.
Someone could tell me why?
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 12:50   #48756  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
I have an AMD RX480 video card, I use JRIVER media player and I use Windows 10 operating system, in VIDEO LAVs if I use COPY-BACK during a movie I have several dropped frames, while with Windows 8 it did not happen, instead with NATIVE 0 dropped frames; I also noticed that D3D11 does not decode well interlaced material, such as music concerts that are all at 1080i60.
Are you playing movies at their native refresh rate or at 60hz, assuming your display is 60hz?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 12:51   #48757  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
I also noticed that D3D11 does not decode well interlaced material, such as music concerts that are all at 1080i60.
Deinterlacing via D3D11 is not supported yet. We have to wait until madshi find some time to add this.

No sure about the frame drops with dxva copy back, but I noticed that my system is not fast enough for 4K HEVC with dxva copyback (works fine with dxva native).
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 13:58   #48758  |  Link
stefanelli73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Are you playing movies at their native refresh rate or at 60hz, assuming your display is 60hz?
Yes native refresh 23,96....I have an EPSON 9300 videoprojector
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 14:04   #48759  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Yes native refresh 23,96....I have an EPSON 9300 videoprojector
so it does this even with 23,976 movies?

Do you have 1080p23 included in your Display modes in MADVR?

take a screen shot of your CONTROL+J screen.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 17:23   #48760  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I just gave DXVA2 native a quick try on AMD (Polaris, Windows 10 CU2): I can confirm the 10 bit banding issues there as well.

Just let DXVA2 depart in peace, it doesn't fit in the post-EVR times...
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling