Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 18th August 2008, 00:00   #41  |  Link
stax76

@Grossmeister

Does it mean the download feature is completely broke for you? Many packages contain additional or modified files, the 7z package for instance has a additional manifest file to make the UAC dialog in Vista popup trying extracting to a directory requiring elevated user privilegs to write.

@weaver4

I guess MP4Box don't accept your subtitle file probably because of a problem with the text encoding.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 04:12   #42  |  Link
doggyjumper

crash at preset edits

Crashing trying to edit the container presets

bugreport : http://www.2shared.com/file/3781018/...tic_Files.html
doggyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 10:48   #43  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Crashing trying to edit the container presets
I've uploaded a beta fixing it.
Old 18th August 2008, 12:37   #44  |  Link
pausefisk

Nice job stax! I've just installed the new beta, and it now finally seems to work with norwegian windows/net 3.5!!! At least the program start, i will try do an encode later, will report back if it troubles!
pausefisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 20:50   #45  |  Link
basheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pausefisk View Post
Nice job stax! I've just installed the new beta, and it now finally seems to work with norwegian windows/net 3.5!!! At least the program start, i will try do an encode later, will report back if it troubles!
Yep, worked here too! Thanks!

Stax - what was the problem? I have another app with the same error message, and the author have no clue as to what could be wrong.
basheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 01:54   #46  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I have another app with the same error message, and the author have no clue as to what could be wrong.
There were two problems, one causing a exception and another one not catching possible exceptions. Just tell him to change the region to norway in the windows control panel, then he can reproduce the crash. Following code was crashing:

Code:
CultureInfoValue = New CultureInfo(CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.TwoLetterISOLanguageName)
On a exception .NET applications normally show a own exception dialog or at least the .NET exception dialog is shown so it's easy to track the problem. In case there is a unhandled exception in the constructor of the startup form however, the .NET exception dialog is not shown but only the crash dialog of the operating system giving no hints what the problem is. The solution for this adding a try catch block in the constructor to handle possible exceptions or to use the event AppDomain.UnhandledException to handle anything unhandled, the event Application.ThreadException won't work in this case!

Since I've improved exception handling in the latest beta I'm hoping future crashs will always show more then just the useless crash dialog of the operating system.
Old 19th August 2008, 04:25   #47  |  Link
doggyjumper

Crash at edit presets

Quote:
I've uploaded a beta fixing it.
Thanks, doesnt crash anymore :-)

but I am confused as I am getting an empty window (both edit and preview). I assumed that this would give one the ability to change the presets (container configuration ) already there or am I getting this wrong ?
doggyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 22:06   #48  |  Link
R.A.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
@Grossmeister
Does it mean the download feature is completely broke for you? Many packages contain additional or modified files, the 7z package for instance has a additional manifest file to make the UAC dialog in Vista popup trying extracting to a directory requiring elevated user privilegs to write.
Wouldn't it be easier both for the user and you, Stax, to compile just one big file for StaxRip with all what it needs, where the .exe and simply everything is already included? Virtually an "all-in-one"-package? - If this would be packed with the very efficient 7zip-packer I guess it would cause less traffic, than if every user is forced to load every external application e.g. when re-installing something on his system form your server again and again.
R.A.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 23:35   #49  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
but I am confused as I am getting an empty window
Maybe it has no default presets.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier both for the user and you, Stax, to compile just one big file for StaxRip with all what it needs
There are a couple of problems with that, moving to another system just backup your download and install directory, the directories where StaxRip downloads applications and unpacks applications. On a new system just point StaxRip to these directories. By default these directories are in the settings dir I think so if you don't moved them out you just have to backup your settings dir. When StaxRip starts and don't find a settings dir it'll ask for it and create default settings if there is none.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:51   #50  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

Unable to open mkv files. Gives me AviSynth Error - DirectShowSource: couldn't open file. The format is not supported.
Have uninstalled and reinstalled without success.

Bugreport, manually generated after receiving error
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:54   #51  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

can you play mkvs in windows media player?
if not, you need a mkv source filter (haali media splitter)...
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:17   #52  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

Windows Media Player = no
Installed haali, still gives the error and still no playback in Windows Media Player.

It seems like it's something simple that I missing, like "use this app to handle this" type of thing.
I use OSX, so forgive me if I'm slow to pick up on this.

Last edited by Albo; 3rd September 2008 at 16:27.
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:45   #53  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

it gives me an error = you told me nothing.
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:49   #54  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

Still gives the error I mentioned in my first post with the bugreport.

"DirectShowSource: couldn't open file. The format is not supported."
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:52   #55  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

then you miss the required decoders. you should know what video and audio format you used to create that file... look for decoders and install them.
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:39   #56  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

Well it's H.264, and I've tried installing ffdshow (by itself and as a part of the Cole2k codec pack) and am still having issues.
The mkv files do play in Windows Media Player now, but StaxRip is still giving the DirectShowSource error.

I appreciate your help by the way, I know it must be frustrating dealing with something as open-ended as this.
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:33   #57  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

well... you know? codec packs are evil...
get graphedit, drop the mkv into it and post a screenshot.
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:23   #58  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

Old 3rd September 2008, 22:09   #59  |  Link
stax76

@Albo

Please upload a new diagnostic file using a new beta. By deault StaxRip should demux your source using mkvextract and then load it using DGAVCDec so by default it shouldn't even fallback to DirectShowSource, I don't know why this don't work with your source but I'll probably find out.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:23   #60  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

This bug report is from the latest beta. Same file I posted above.

Bug Report, manually generated after receiving error

The app used to work perfectly, but something is amiss somewhere, and I know it's going to be something simple, something I'm missing with this new install.

Last edited by Albo; 3rd September 2008 at 22:25.

Tags
bug, staxrip