Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 30th March 2015, 17:11   #1  |  Link
shekh

Master Blend - multipurpose filter

Hi all,
I created a filter to animate and blend other filters.
Typically I would use it to apply dynamic color correction, where light is changing. Also may apply varying sharpening/denoising etc.
Obviously it is possible to insert effects like fade to black, fade to blur, etc.
The implementation is quite generic and can handle wide range of filters.

It has embedded histograms and sort of vectorscope: I`d like to hear opinion on its implementation. I made just something that seems useful, not based on any standard. So if you think it has problems. I want to know.

http://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermod/wiki/MasterBlend/

Also I modified VirtualDub to allow some plugin operations. They are optional but if anyone is interested I recommend to try my pack first, it has everything to run instantly.
For the VirtualDub, I promise that my changes are safe / do not break any function
Feedback welcome on everything.

Last edited by shekh; 12th April 2015 at 11:25.
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 18:55   #2  |  Link
poisondeathray

Thanks, it looks useful.

Nice first post!
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 17:40   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

What PDR said.

Welcome to the forum.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 23:51   #4  |  Link
GMJCZP

Thank you for your contribution shekh.

Pardon my ignorance, but this filter makes replacement of colors, as does the photoshop? I saw the video of fish and I liked how the contrast is increased.
GMJCZP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:07   #5  |  Link
shekh

In short: yes
If you look closer, the specific color transform is done by worker filter, which can be "brightness/contrast", "HSV adjust", "gradation curves", or whatever. In the video I used enhanced "neiromaster lab" - for me it is best color filter that I was able to find yet.
These filters were around for decades, what "Master blend" changes is the addition of time dimension to all of them, and more convenience.
Old 10th April 2015, 06:42   #6  |  Link
petermg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Hi all,
I created a filter to animate and blend other filters.
Typically I would use it to apply dynamic color correction, where light is changing. Also may apply varying sharpening/denoising etc.
Obviously it is possible to insert effects like fade to black, fade to blur, etc.
The implementation is quite generic and can handle wide range of filters.

It has embedded histograms and sort of vectorscope: I`d like to hear opinion on its implementation. I made just something that seems useful, not based on any standard. So if you think it has problems. I want to know.

https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermo...asterBlend%5D/

Also I modified VirtualDub to allow some plugin operations. They are optional but if anyone is interested I recommend to try my pack first, it has everything to run instantly.
For the VirtualDub, I promise that my changes are safe / do not break any function
Feedback welcome on everything.
This is great! I just noticed how you can add filters to it that aren't already there. I'm just blown away by Virtualdub. For a free program, it's one of a kind amazing.
petermg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 04:07   #7  |  Link
WorBry

As per usual, I've only now picked up on this development.

Been tinkering with vdfiltermod the past few days. Great work. What I didn't realize until today is that you have also updated Trevlacs ColorTools plugin. I'd just assumed that the plugins pack had the same filters as the main Virtual Dub Pack download:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfi...?source=navbar

Fantastic. I'd given up hope of using ColorTools again when I upgraded to Win7 a few years back; couldn't get it work in any program compatibility mode. Your modded version works just fine in regular VDub 1.10.4 also.

Really like what you've done with Master Blend also. One comment I would make though is that whilst it's great to have the composite RGB Histogram there as a reference, the Vectorscope is a bit on the small side to be really useful, in either of the two view modes. Any chance you could enlarge it and maybe add saturation and skin tone line markers (like the ColorTools Vectorscope); perhaps making the Vectorscope and Histogram selectable options to give more space for each ?

Actually, what I was wondering - and I don't know if this is even feasible - but would it be possible to feed in the ColorTools scopes (WFM, Vectorscope, Histograms) into Master Blend, maybe scaled down a bit, but large enough to be used as live reference monitors when making color adjustments? Personally, given the choice I would prefer a WFM to a Histogram, but it would be nice to have all three, even if only one at a time. Just a thought.

One other thing. As it appears now, the right edge of the active window is just impinging on the Histogram and plugin selection panel, and I can't see any means of enlarging it. See attached image below.

Edit: Would also be helpful to have some kind of documentation explaining what the different control buttons/markers do, but I kind of figured it out.

Attached - screen shots of Master Blend and the ColorTools Vectorscope with the markers:
Attached Images

Last edited by WorBry; 10th December 2015 at 05:47.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 10:37   #8  |  Link
shekh

Hi, thanks for feedback. It seems better to upload images to postimage.org

Indeed, I made everything quite small to leave max space for preview window. But I agree, sometimes I want vectorscope bigger.
Btw I tried to pick some theory on vectorsope and gave up. Looks like a lot of detail is preserved from old time analog vectorsopes, so I was not sure about line markers.
What is often found in various video programs, is vectorscope in YUV space overlaid on hue reference circle. I cannot figure the meaning of this. YUV space has nothing to do with degrees and its range is not round?

Sure I can draw everything, there are few problems however: the code from ColorTools is quite inefficient (slow), so I would completely review it before any integration. And second, I need to figure out how to use WFM, because its quite boring to make something that I dont want to use

Quote:
Would also be helpful to have some kind of documentation
I am not sure if there is somebody who needs it. There are some downloads but I have no idea why and whether they have any problem at all. I was thinking, if somebody needs this they can just ask, why throw complete documentation into darkness.
Would you like to write some wiki page about using etc?
Old 10th December 2015, 10:47   #9  |  Link
shekh

Btw last build has this: when animation window has focus it is possible to use VirtualDub`s navigation hotkeys (ctrl+G, left, right etc).
Old 10th December 2015, 13:12   #10  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Hi, thanks for feedback. It seems better to upload images to postimage.org
Afraid I'm not at my PC today so can't re-upload. There's nothing on the images that you wouldn't already know.

Quote:
Indeed, I made everything quite small to leave max space for preview window. But I agree, sometimes I want vectorscope bigger.
Btw I tried to pick some theory on vectorsope and gave up. Looks like a lot of detail is preserved from old time analog vectorsopes, so I was not sure about line markers.
What is often found in various video programs, is vectorscope in YUV space overlaid on hue reference circle. I cannot figure the meaning of this. YUV space has nothing to do with degrees and its range is not round?
So is what I've been using for now wrong?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...49#post1745549

Quote:
Sure I can draw everything, there are few problems however: the code from ColorTools is quite inefficient (slow), so I would completely review it before any integration. And second, I need to figure out how to use WFM, because its quite boring to make something that I dont want to use
But others might. Anyhow, no problem if it's a big deal. There's still ColorTools - thanks for updating that.

Quote:
I am not sure if there is somebody who needs it. There are some downloads but I have no idea why and whether they have any problem at all. I was thinking, if somebody needs this they can just ask, why throw complete documentation into darkness.
Would you like to write some wiki page about using etc?
Er....no.

Cheers anyway. They were just suggestions and you did welcome any comments.
Old 10th December 2015, 13:50   #11  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
One other thing. As it appears now, the right edge of the active window is just impinging on the Histogram and plugin selection panel, and I can't see any means of enlarging it. See attached image below.
I do not understand what are you saying, and I cant see those images yet.

Quote:
So is what I've been using for now wrong?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...49#post1745549
I need to check these tools. What I know for sure, the code of ColorTools which I used as reference, plots colors in YUV space and it does not map directly to hue circle (unless I miss something).
Old 10th December 2015, 17:25   #12  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
I do not understand what are you saying, and I cant see those images yet.
I'm back early, so here you go:

Edit: Links deleted since above attachments approved.

Not a big deal really. You can still access the Sharp plugin tab.

The other image was just a screen shot of the ColorTools vectorscope.

Edit: Links deleted since above attachments approved.

Last edited by WorBry; 23rd December 2015 at 16:46.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 18:26   #13  |  Link
shekh

Quote:

Not a big deal really. You can still access the Sharp plugin tab.
I intended to make plugin bar scrolling so this piece is unfinished
But you can modify master_blend.cfg to remove plugins that you dont use or make their names shorter.
Old 21st February 2016, 21:23   #14  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Actually, what I was wondering - and I don't know if this is even feasible - but would it be possible to feed in the ColorTools scopes (WFM, Vectorscope, Histograms) into Master Blend, maybe scaled down a bit, but large enough to be used as live reference monitors when making color adjustments? Personally, given the choice I would prefer a WFM to a Histogram, but it would be nice to have all three, even if only one at a time. Just a thought.
If you still want it, something is possible now.
With new version of FilterMod it is possible to open multiple preview windows at the same time.
The easiest example:
* add brightness/contrast filter
* add color tools filter
* right click on brightness/contrast and select View, this window will show just brightness/contrast output, unaffected by color tools.
* doubleclick on brightness/contrast to open its dialog and, click show preview. This preview will show final output with colortools included.
* there you have it.

Maybe better but more complicated way to setup it:
* For example above, rename brightness/contrast output as "final".
* Add null transform as the last filter, and add input "final" to it.
(all these commands are accessed through right-click menu).
Now colortools will not be used for output, but you can view it.

VirtualDub had this capability to setup multiple chains since maybe some 10.x version, but I have no idea what it was useful for.
Old 5th May 2016, 19:49   #15  |  Link
shekh

New version can do a sort of waveform. But I cannot confirm yet if it helps to do corrections (getting used to).
Old 26th November 2019, 18:15   #16  |  Link
nji

Maybe I'm just stupid ... but ...

I was not able to understand how this filter works like.

I well understand it allows for timeline change of filter parameters.
But how to make it work?
I was not able even to produce a simple changing from light to dark.

What are all those control for?
I tried this and that but no effect/ no idea.

Could you PLEASE provide an explanation/ a simple work flow?
(The video wasn't of any help, at least for me).
nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 01:15   #17  |  Link
shekh

Ok, lets try

show preview
making 1st key:
go to frame 0
press "key" button (leftmost button)
click "rgb levels", make some evil change (red 0-0.5)
click ok to close rgb levels

making 2nd key:
go to frame 20
press "key" button
click "rgb levels", make some different change (green 0-0.5)
click ok to close rgb levels

Now you have simple interpolation.

Explanation of controls:
Frame row: type frame number to jump to; next 3 buttons: click and drag to move frame pointer (slow/medium/fast); next 2 buttons: jump to previous/next key
Key row: create key; modify filters stack within the key (by default there is a list of some preset filters)
Click filter name to change params. Shift-click to enable/disable. Right-click to delete, add another filter and more options.
Blend key row: create blend key; enter blend value; 2 buttons adjust value slow/fast (click and drag); 2 buttons jump to previous/next point (damn, it crashed)
Blend keys help to adjust ease-in ease-out, this is sort of time-remapping of default interpolation.
For example above:
jump to frame 10
create blend key
type value 1
Old 27th November 2019, 10:22   #18  |  Link
nji

Hi shekh.

First of all:
Thank you once more very much for your work,
and for your support!

I would like to express that I'm not about to niggle.
I tried several times to understand to make it work,
but actually got no clue.
Also, being no professional for sure, I'm also no
bloody newbie ... so I wondered ...

OK, I hope my feedback is of any worth for you
(as it may be exemplary).

First I wondered:
"This filter works in XRGB mode only."
What is meant by XRGB mode?
Dr. Google doesn't delivers useful.
I'm not very familiar about the depth of VD's color types,
and the way filters operate on.
I got the impression there is an implicit conversion
if necessary in filter chain ... (?)
Does it mean I have to convert to convert from YUV explicite?

OK then.

I opened a movie that is RGBA32 already.
I did the way you described above.
The simple interpolation works.
BUT:
Clicking the frame moving buttons does nothing.
OH!! Click and DRAG.
If you wouldn't have wrote that
I never would have tried that.

The "key" buttons.
I wondered: "keys?", "key frames?", what? how?
Without explanation what YOU mean with keys
(called "samples" at another place)
I wouldn't have understood.

Blending:
Entering a blend value and the other 4 button at the right
does not work.

Concept:
If a entered an interpolation (= 2 keys/ samples) of one filter,
and want to enter a second interpolation (of another filter):
May they areas overlap in any way?
And:
Entering a second filter does some "explicit thing" I do not understand:
It seems to enter the last used filter, and kind of "close" the last
interpolation area and ...
Well, it's confusing.

To me it's the opposite of self explanatory.

It's a pity, as as far I understand this idea of interpolation
filter parameters is really important and valuable.
Old 27th November 2019, 16:25   #19  |  Link
shekh

About XRGB:

Yes there is automatic conversion to suitable format.
This filter works with 8-bit rgb - most common format for vd filters. It also blends alpha and I actually renamed XRGB mode to ARGB.

You are right, making this filter self-explanatory was not planned...
"keys" are traditional thing in about any animation software. However, where I saw it the "key" is associated with one "parameter".
Here the contents of "key" is list of filters with settings.

> Entering a blend value and the other 4 button at the right does not work

Maybe a picture will help. Blend value can only be entered when current frame is pointing to blend key ("blend key" button turns yellow).

About what you are trying to achieve:

As far as I understood, making intersecting interpolations is not supported.
With typical keyframe-based animation you create curves for many individual parameters.
In this filter you can only make one continuous transition:

[key1]--[key2]--[key3] ...

Each key contains filter list so you can for example interpolate 2 filters at the same time:

[red1,green1]--[red2,green2]

But if you need different time positions it is less convenient. You'll have to insert intermediate keys and configure intermediate parameters for filters.

Maybe some math will give better understanding. How the final image is produced for interpolated frame:

1) compute blend factor for current frame (based on distance to keys and blend key values)
2) take keyframe on the left of current frame, interpolate filters parameters for current frame using blend factor, apply filters -> resulting image A
3) same with keyframe on the right of current frame -> resulting image B
4) blend images A and B using blend factor -> final result

Another way to think about it:
You don't apply filters one by one. You apply all filters you might need at every keyframe, and then adjust their parameters until you get everything looking good.
For example, begin with 2 keyframes (start and end of sequence). Move to the middle of sequence. Do you need to adjust anything? Create new key in the middle and adjust all filters.
Old 27th November 2019, 17:56   #20  |  Link
nji

Finally ... I got it! ;-)

I do understand and everything works the way described.
(Even the crash).

Thank you.

As already said - please don't get me wrong:
I am NOT demanding/ expecting anything.

I was only confused because if I provide anything for public use
I always give a kind of explanation ... as it is meant for others.
From my point of view especially this filter can only be understood
and operated by people who already have experience with all that.
For all other there is a big hurdle (most of them will refuse).
Which is a pity!
For this fine filter. For VD2.
But - of course - you're the boss! ;-)

BTW
I do not need the filter for a special task NOW.
I just took my time for a closer look at VD's internal filters
and shekh's.
For a "craftsman" should know the tools that do exist.
So he stops using the screwdriver on a nail, not knowing the hammer.

Tags
development, plugin, virtualdub