Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 5th December 2019, 21:51   #1  |  Link
peto2

BD Rebuilder fps

Hi,

This issue has come up or me again

I have a number of movies, all Asian films (?), that are 24.00 fps. When I input them to BD Rebuilder V60.29 they are changed to 23.976 fps. I have checked the (hidden) options for BD Rebuider and none seem to me to be applicable where I want to keep the original fps of the movie. Is anyone able to let me know if I have missed anything.
I did see a note that this would be a minor impact but the issue is that at the end of the movie it throws the subtitles out of sync where they are not hardcoded.

regards
peto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 20:51   #2  |  Link
Logan9778

When films are put through a telecine machine and turned into video (frames into fields, 2 fields per frame), they are slowed to 23.976 fps.

I don't know the details of why, just that this is what happens. This is called "film" (23.976 fps). They are then usually "telecined" (frames are added), and made into 29.97 frames per second to be compatible with TV signals. Telecining can be hard or soft. It can be "film" with flags added to tell the computer, DVD player, etc. to "telecine" it on the fly, or it can be hard telecined, where the video is put on the DVD already telecined (i.e. 29.97 fps)

If the video really is at 24 fps, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'll leave that for the experts. I think I have heard of some movies being left at 24 fps video, but that is strange.

If you really want to get into encoding movies, I suggest taking a look at Avisynth+, or if you're on Linux, Vapoursynth.

I really don't recommend these "one shot" GUI machines. They're more pain than help.

But hey, your in the right place to learn! I'm just a newb whose starting out, but there are some really good encoders here who can help you.

I don't know much about hardcoded subs, just that they are a pain.

Last edited by Logan9778; 10th December 2019 at 21:10.
Logan9778 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fps 24.00 23.976