Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2019, 22:26   #1  |  Link
cyanfire

Removing ghosting/frame blending on 1080i 29.97 BluRay

I am trying to convert an animation BluRay which is listed as 29.97 1080i but it is a bad transfer and there is frame blending. Every other season of this show is 1080p and i would like to have a copy that matches.
I have included an unconverted sample of the Bluray in question.

https://mega.nz/#!pIgxmIxA!J4F7-M6wS...gT0Fc_orhxPXpI

I have tried using Srestore(frate=23.976) but there are some frames leftover, i have provided the same sample clip with Srestore applied to show the outcome.
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove all of the problematic frames or is this the best i'm going to get?

https://mega.nz/#!1FphFIRR!dIIt4gIM3...0j5O0Mk9AYlnIU
cyanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:25   #2  |  Link
hello_hello

Your sample doesn't exactly have a lot of movement, but I think it's been blend de-interlaced. SRestore's double blend removal seems to work okay. The sample is resized to 720p for the sake of speed and file size.

SRestore(mode=-4,omode="pp0")
TDecimate(mode=1)
Spline36Resize(1280,720)

Sampled.mkv (4.1MB)
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:48   #3  |  Link
cyanfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Your sample doesn't exactly have a lot of movement, but I think it's been blend de-interlaced. SRestore's double blend removal seems to work okay. The sample is resized to 720p for the sake of speed and file size.

SRestore(mode=-4,omode="pp0")
TDecimate(mode=1)
Spline36Resize(1280,720)

Sampled.mkv (4.1MB)
That wasn't the clip i intended to upload, here is the one i wanted.. it has more movement.

https://mega.nz/#!wJghFCAB!8mv1xseeN...5CzIsxKRs2Kdz0

Here is the result with the double blend removal settings you provided, it's a lot better than my first attempt but there is still some slight artifacts leftover

https://mega.nz/#!RRpF0QDZ!EptpeUwZx...DnYNQF04ci5GdA
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:39   #4  |  Link
LemMotlow

If the sample is deinterlaced/29.97fps it's not "BluRay". It's just generic video with a big frame.
LemMotlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:41   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
If the sample is deinterlaced/29.97fps it's not "BluRay". It's just generic video with a big frame.
Can't 29.97fps progressive be encoded as interlaced?
MediaInfo reports MBAFF for the sample, but there's no combed frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanfire View Post

Here is the result with the double blend removal settings you provided, it's a lot better than my first attempt but there is still some slight artifacts leftover
It certainly smells like a telecined source that's been blend de-interlaced for 29.97fps progressive. There's a very consistent pattern of 2 blended and three clean frames in your new sample, at least for the frames in that pattern where there's motion.

These are probably the slowest SRestore double blend removal settings, and while I didn't play around extensively, post-processing is the only one that appears to make a difference. Normally I leave post-processing disabled, but for animation pp modes 2 or 3 seem to be better.

SRestore(mode=-1,omode="pp3", thresh=12, speed=-1, cache=10)
TDecimate(mode=1)

SRestore missed the first blend, but that's nothing unusual. It often needs a few frames to find the pattern, or however it works.

Sample SRestore.mkv
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:52   #6  |  Link
cyanfire

Quote:

It certainly smells like a telecined source that's been blend de-interlaced for 29.97fps progressive. There's a very consistent pattern of 2 blended and three clean frames in your new sample, at least for the frames in that pattern where there's motion.

These are probably the slowest SRestore double blend removal settings, and while I didn't play around extensively, post-processing is the only one that appears to make a difference. Normally I leave post-processing disabled, but for animation pp modes 2 or 3 seem to be better.

SRestore(mode=-1,omode="pp3", thresh=12, speed=-1, cache=10)
TDecimate(mode=1)

SRestore missed the first blend, but that's nothing unusual. It often needs a few frames to find the pattern, or however it works.

Sample SRestore.mkv

Wow yeah that is awesome, thankyou for helping out! I am going to do the whole Bluray with those settings.
I do have one more question... can anything be done with this particular sample? This is on an earlier seasons BluRay and is the only problematic episode, it's already at 23.976.

https://mega.nz/#!MRonDAoK!6Es7lYvaf...reSqODPWFW9Iuc
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:58   #7  |  Link
hello_hello

SRestore has an option I'd completely forgotten about until I was looking at the settings earlier. It attempts to replace blended frames with less blended frames or with duplicates of non-blended frames where it can.... the way I understand it. The help file says:

omode string (0-6 or mode, default 6)
Srestore can be used as blend-decimation-function, as simple deblend-function and for double-blend-removal

1 - deblend-mode 1 -> detected blends will be replaced with the previous frame
2 - deblend-mode 2 -> next frame is used instead of the detected blend
3 - deblend-mode 3 -> detected blends will be replaced with the neighbour that has the smaller difference
4 - deblend-mode 4 -> use the neighbour with the smaller blend-possibility
5 - deblend-special -> outputs the one of four frames with the smallest blend-possibility
>5 - blend-decimation -> for all decimation operations

I only tried omode=5, and it replaced many of the blended frames (best as I could tell it only left a blended frame where there were three in succession), but each mode will no doubt effect motion to some extent. It mightn't be super-noticeable for that type of animation, but where the frames might previously have been "A AB B", it'd be something like "A A B" instead, so you lose the in-between "AB" motion. I'd experiment with omode 1 thru 5 to see what you prefer.

I don't think there's much else you can do with that one. I doubt normal double blend removal mode would work as it tends to produce horrible artefacts if the blending pattern isn't somewhat consistent.

SRestore(mode=-1, omode=5, thresh=12, speed=-1, cache=10)
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:12   #8  |  Link
LemMotlow

Quote:
Yes. For a while I tried to figure out why someone would blend-deinterlace in the first place (what's the point?) and then encode as interlaced. But I got very tired just thinking about it and it gets to be depressing observing how people misuse and abuse digital technology. It's as if people are desperate for something idiotic to do to entertain themselves.

Interesting explanation, though.
LemMotlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 00:53   #9  |  Link
cyanfire

Quote:
SRestore has an option I'd completely forgotten about until I was looking at the settings earlier. It attempts to replace blended frames with less blended frames or with duplicates of non-blended frames where it can.... the way I understand it. The help file says:

omode string (0-6 or mode, default 6)
Srestore can be used as blend-decimation-function, as simple deblend-function and for double-blend-removal

1 - deblend-mode 1 -> detected blends will be replaced with the previous frame
2 - deblend-mode 2 -> next frame is used instead of the detected blend
3 - deblend-mode 3 -> detected blends will be replaced with the neighbour that has the smaller difference
4 - deblend-mode 4 -> use the neighbour with the smaller blend-possibility
5 - deblend-special -> outputs the one of four frames with the smallest blend-possibility
>5 - blend-decimation -> for all decimation operations

I only tried omode=5, and it replaced many of the blended frames (best as I could tell it only left a blended frame where there were three in succession), but each mode will no doubt effect motion to some extent. It mightn't be super-noticeable for that type of animation, but where the frames might previously have been "A AB B", it'd be something like "A A B" instead, so you lose the in-between "AB" motion. I'd experiment with omode 1 thru 5 to see what you prefer.

I don't think there's much else you can do with that one. I doubt normal double blend removal mode would work as it tends to produce horrible artefacts if the blending pattern isn't somewhat consistent.

SRestore(mode=-1, omode=5, thresh=12, speed=-1, cache=10)
There are so many blended frames that it makes the video very jerky after they've been removed, i may just give up and put up with the ghosting on this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
Yes. For a while I tried to figure out why someone would blend-deinterlace in the first place (what's the point?) and then encode as interlaced. But I got very tired just thinking about it and it gets to be depressing observing how people misuse and abuse digital technology. It's as if people are desperate for something idiotic to do to entertain themselves.

Interesting explanation, though.
The thing is these are retail BluRay's so we are paying for this s@#t, i don't know how this sort of thing gets through.