Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 4th April 2011, 10:01   #141  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
You're still yet to explain why you use Plextools and pxscan to test for disc quality when you've claimed "Nobody can measure the quality of a DVDR".
If you can't test for quality, what are you trying to achieve when you test the quality of your discs?
I use plextools to check whether the discs according to my standards. I burn one DVDR from an unknown manufacturer then test it. From the graph I draw my own conclusions. Besides, for CDRs it happens that I have the optics used in the standard measurement device, so I'm pretty sure the C1/C2 values are closely matching the standard ones.

So I don't care whether someone else using a certain burner burned a certain DVDR with 40/2 errors, as long as my burns are ok. I may not have that particular burner, I may not have that particular DVDR.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:04   #142  |  Link
hello_hello

So you're saying you can test the quality of your discs then?
Why did you tell another poster he can't do the same?
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 10:10   #143  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I said he can't have comparable results.
And that the results he will eventually obtain do not represent the values that are standardised. In other words, if he gets 280 PI these are not the 280 PI of the standard, because he didn't use the standard device nor the standard procedure.

Last edited by Ghitulescu; 4th April 2011 at 10:17.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 10:19   #144  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I said he can't have comparable results.
Twaddle.
Dogway asked how he could check his older discs for quality, and this is what you said. Offering such academic nonsense as an answer to a simple question is what led to this discussion.

Quote:
You missed the point.
Nobody can measure the quality of a DVDR, unless s/he uses special tools (there have to be a special drive and a special software), even then there's no 95% or the like, just OK or FAIL for each parameter (there are around 20 IIRC). Not only that that Philips optics is nowhere to be found (I mean in the consumer realm) and even then it will lack the special firmware that allows the reading of all parameters (it includes here the raw RF laser output), but also nobody will ever spend ~20+ hours (each parameter is measured once and at 1x only) for each disk.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:22   #145  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
And that the results he will eventually obtain do not represent the values that are standardised. In other words, if he gets 280 PI these are not the 280 PI of the standard, because he didn't use the standard device nor the standard procedure.
Nobody said otherwise.
This means Dogway can't test his discs for quality how exactly?
Old 4th April 2011, 10:24   #146  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Twaddle.
Dogway asked how he could check his older discs for quality, and this is what you said. Offering such academic nonsense as an answer to a simple question is what led to this discussion.
He can find some values, ok, but when the quality is defined and it is, one needs to use that precise method to find out this quality.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:36   #147  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
He can find some values, ok, but when the quality is defined and it is, one needs to use that precise method to find out this quality.
Yippeee.
How many times do I have to acknowledge checking for disc quality isn't an exact science before you'll move on to offering another excuse for telling Dogway "Nobody can measure the quality of a DVDR" in the middle of a thread where disc quality is being discussed and quality test results are being offered.

Actually don't worry about it. I think I'll join everyone else who's posted here in not taking you seriously, and just move on myself.

Bye.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:51   #148  |  Link
Ghitulescu

It's always nice to talk about quality when this is a nice and vague notion. Yet, when it's standardized, oops, yeah, sure, well, you know, that's good for me...
The only way to asses the quality is described. And it's an ON/OFF issue (compliant/not compliant). Do you have the possibility to compare at home the quality of your HiFi-chain with that of the neighbor's? Which one is louder probably yes, you could, although not immediately evident.

The OP could use any of the SW indicated and any of the HW he has, but the results are not quality as it is defined, they are just numbers. And based on his experience he may say whether this numbers mean something or not, whether the value of 1000 or that of 300 or the one of 20 do really mean something (plays everywhere in the world, plays on his own DVDplayer, can be read only by his LG drive).

That nero gives 100% quality for a disc, that doesn't automatically that it would be played everywhere, as I said, I had once that DL with some 1300 PIs, yet it was played flawlessly (perfect reading curve) on the PC, yet had problems with a standalone. No wonder.
Old 4th April 2011, 22:40   #149  |  Link
hello_hello

And once again, nobody has argued that quality results won't vary a little according to the drive used to test the disc. Nobody has argued about the way discs are checked for quality.

It's fairly simple. A disc checked for quality using drive "A" will show the disc has a "X" amount of errors and is of "X" quality. Checking the same disc in a different drive will probably give slightly different results, but generally the quality will still be roughly the same. A disc which looks good in one drive will still look good when tested in another. A disc which looks bad when tested using one drive will still look bad in another. When you've got something which proves otherwise, let me know.

Quote:
....as I said, I had once that DL with some 1300 PIs, yet it was played flawlessly (perfect reading curve) on the PC, yet had problems with a standalone. No wonder.
No wonder???
You mean you weren't suprised after you tested the disc quality, found it to be poor, and then discovered it wouldn't play in a standalone which isn't as good at reading poor quality discs as the PC's drive? Why weren't you surprised if the disc quality test didn't mean anything?

Once again, we're not talking about a drive's ability to read a poor quality disc, we're discussing being able to test a disc for quality. Your example of a drive still being able to read a disc after the same drive reporting the disc as having a high number of PIs proves they're not the same thing.

There's no need to repeat the information regarding disc quality being a "standard", or repeat the need for precise information to obtain the "real" quality etc. I get it, and repeating it again as though I don't will only have me thinking you must be stupid. Testing for quality isn't an exact science when using the average PC drive and testing software. I get it. I really do.

Dogway asked how he could test the quality of his discs. You told him in no uncertain terms nobody can measure the quality of a disc. I, on the other hand, maintain that while testing a disc for quality is not an exact science, anyone can test a disc for quality and obtain results which are still a very good indication as to the quality of the disc (as long as you're using a drive which reports errors etc). You do it, I do it and everyone else in this thread has done it. Except for Dogway of course, because you've told him he can't.
Maybe you're simply incapable of understanding this alternative viewpoint, or maybe you really don't agree with it, but either way you've offered nothing to prove it's not correct.
Old 29th September 2019, 20:25   #150  |  Link
ad1mt

Hi,
I have run 3 significant tests of optical media, and can make very specific recommendations about the lifespan of the various types.
The reports of my tests are here: http://mark-taylor.me.uk/?Optical_Media_Life_Expectancy
The quick summary points about long-term data storage are:-
1. Do not use standard recordable DVD (with purple dye) under any circumstances.
2. Use either BD-R or CD-R for good lifespan at low cost.
3. Use MDISC for best lifespan at higher cost.
4. Always keep optical discs in darkness (i.e. in an opaque box with a lid).
ad1mt is offline   Reply With Quote