Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st May 2017, 07:26   #43781  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.91.10 released

1) I hope switching your display into HDR mode works now? Currently only NVidia and AMD drivers support this, Intel not yet.
Hi Madshi,

sorry but seems on my AMD is same as before, seems no metadata sent to tv

thank you
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 08:20   #43782  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are you using a 3DLUT with an absolute or relative intent? Some of the intent options clip colors that are outside the gamut which can cause artifacts like that.
Which rendering intent is better for the 3DLUT on a monitor with sRGB coverage?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 10:36   #43783  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
Hi Madshi,

sorry but seems on my AMD is same as before, seems no metadata sent to tv

thank you
Might just be my set up, but same here on Nvidia GTX 1080 Strix OC Win 10CU x64, driver 378.92, FSE Dx11 = TV does not switch to HDR mode (nvidia api or win 10 api).

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 21st May 2017 at 10:39.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 11:13   #43784  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Questions:

1) For those of you who have new problems with v0.91.10, please double check which exact version introduced the problems. Is it really v0.91.10, or maybe v0.91.9? Or some other version? It's important for me to know which exact madVR version introduced each specific problem for you. You can download old versions here:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/m...sions#download

If the problem was really introduced by v0.91.10, and didn't occurwith v0.91.9, then please check if activating the option "hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work" makes any difference?

2) If HDR switching WORKS for you, please let me know which GPU you're using, and exactly in which way it works? Do you have to enable the OS HDR switch or can you disable it? Does your display switch into HDR mode only while madVR is playing a HDR video? Or how does it work exactly? I can't test it myself atm, so it would be nice to know.

3) If HDR switch does NOT work for you: Which GPU are you using? Does the OS show the "HDR and Advanced color" switch to you? Have you tried with the switch on and off? Does your display switch into HDR with the switch on or off? Or neither?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 11:36   #43785  |  Link
igvk

Quote:
Are you using a 3DLUT with an absolute or relative intent? Some of the intent options clip colors that are outside the gamut which can cause artifacts like that.
Here are the options of 3D LUT for madVR:
igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 11:40   #43786  |  Link
Sideeffect

@ madshi
System - Nvidia 1070 Windows 10 creators LG OLED C6 display.

To get HDR to work i have to enable use default colour settings in Nvidia control Panel and enable HDR and advanced colour in display settings.

In MadVR I have to enable Directx 11 exclusive mode and I leave hdr setting on passthrough.

When I start a HDR video as soon as it goes into exclusive mode it shows as HDR.

This was the same bahavour as with last version of Madvr.

The new HDR functions send HDR metadata both Nvidia or Windows have no effect.

If I use Nvidia colour settings of any combination HDR does not work and the windows HDR and advanced colour switch will not toggle even though it shows.

When playing HDR games I have to follow same process.

The Nvidia HDR sample SDK doesn't work on creators update using Nvidia drivers newer than 381.89. If i install those older drivers the SDK can display a HDR signal using the Nvidia API but the option for HDR and advanced colour is missing from display settings.

Using latest Nvidia drivers the option HDR and advanced colour is there but the Nvidia HDR SDK no longer works.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 11:56   #43787  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

@Madshi,

Cant really add anything to what sideeffect said, as it pretty much sums up the situation with nvidia and win 10 cu.

Although, in the previous madvr relaese, it says win10 api for hdr was untested, which would imply that the nvidia api was tested?

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 21st May 2017 at 12:32.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 12:39   #43788  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
madVR v0.91.10 released

3) I've had a hack in madVR which hooked deep into D3D9 and D3D11 to make sure that 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz display modes were correctly used in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. [...] Pick your poison...
Made tests with all possible video frame rates, no poison on my side 0.91.9 and 0.91.10 with hack enabled or disabled - everything working as expected. Always the right refresh rate is chosen, the queues are filling properly in all cases.
Tested with Win 10 x64 Creators Update, AMD R7 250 current drivers.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 13:40   #43789  |  Link
Oguignant

New opción

Hi, this new option "hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work" Exactly what does this option do? For the movies of 23.976 fps and I auto change the refresher to 23hz and use Re clock. Should I also use this new option too? Why?
Old 21st May 2017, 14:37   #43790  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
3) If HDR switch does NOT work for you: Which GPU are you using? Does the OS show the "HDR and Advanced color" switch to you? Have you tried with the switch on and off? Does your display switch into HDR with the switch on or off? Or neither?
I am using a GTX 1060. The OS shows the HDR switch for me. I have tried the switch on and off. My display switched into HDR when I flip the switch. The display switches *out* of HDR when FSE is activated and I can actually switch it into and out of HDR by toggling fullscreen on and off.

So, to summarize what I'm seeing on my setup:

Nvidia API doesn't do anything in any circumstance. I always get the too-bright image with the de-saturated colors.

When I activate the Win 10 API with the HDR switch off in windowed mode, I get basically the inverse of the above image. It's very dark with over-saturated colors.

With Win 10 API and the HDR switch on in windowed mode I get a seemingly correct image. My receiver reports BT.2020 color space.

With the above, with FSE enabled, as soon as I switch into fullscreen mode I get the too-bright, de-saturated image again. Receiver no longer reports BT.2020.

With the above, with FSE disabled, almost immediately after switching to fullscreen I get a black screen followed by a system reboot.

I also tried all of the above with the receiver out of the loop and saw no difference.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 14:42   #43791  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideeffect View Post
@ madshi

To get HDR to work i have to enable use default colour settings in Nvidia control Panel and enable HDR and advanced colour in display settings.

If I use Nvidia colour settings of any combination HDR does not work and the windows HDR and advanced colour switch will not toggle even though it shows.
Are you using 382.19? For me this is no longer the case on this driver.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 14:57   #43792  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Well you actually do need a 1080 Ti or better for maximum madVR, maximum being the highest settings possible. You need a very powerful GPU to do 1080p -> 2160p with NGU veryHigh.

Whether or not using NGU veryHigh instead of high or medium is worth $400+ is debatable, of course, but "maximum madVR" does require a 1080 Ti or better.

Actually, I still have to use profiles with lower settings for harder content and I have an overclocked and water cooled Titan X (Pascal). Even the current top end cards cannot run truly maximum madVR, though they get pretty close.
True, even with a Titan x or 1080ti you can not use all the highest values ​​in Madvr.
But, I use in 23hz of refresh and in 95% of the cases I can raise to the maximum all the values, with a max render time of 18-26ms 1080p -> 2160p with NGU veryHigh.
Old 21st May 2017, 15:07   #43793  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Interesting, it does seem like NGU has improved on Polaris.

My Pascal Titan X doesn't do that much better at NGU Sharp very high 1080p -> 2160p.

These are the rendering times for the NGU step by itself (ShowRenderSteps). If you disable subtitles and smooth motion you can see it reported by itself, the times weren't quite the same when it was mixed into another line. I used chroma doubling set to normal (Bicubic 60). madVR v0.91.9 of course, DX11 fullscreen windowed, Win10 w/ creators update, Nvidia driver version 382.05. I added image enhancements and changed chroma upscaling to keep the GPU clocks up. The GPU was at 1860 MHz unless otherwise noted.

NGU Sharp (low): 1.7 ms
NGU Sharp (med): 2.6 ms
NGU Sharp (high): 5.2 ms
NGU Sharp (very high): 16.8 ms

edit:
I remember NNEDI3 differences being interesting too:
NNEDI3 32: 4.18 ms
NNEDI3 64: 7.54 ms
NNEDI3 128: 18.83 ms
NNEDI3 256: 32.93 ms (1835 MHz)
With what configuration did you get these times?
Old 21st May 2017, 15:26   #43794  |  Link
imhh11

gtx1060 and gtx 1070, latest driver, creator update, latest lavfilter and madvr, mpc-be, windows 10 API

passthrough hdr windowed or FSE + hdr slidder off = washed out color (tv doesnt show hdr)
passthrough hdr windowed + hdr slidder on = black screen and screen stay black even after closing mpc (tv show hdr)
passthrough hdr FSE + hdr slidder on = hdr displayed correctly ( tv show hdr )

and like Sideeffect said, I have to use the nvidia default colour setting or HDR wont work.

it's working mostly like the other version of madvr except for the black screen in windowed mode.

Last edited by imhh11; 21st May 2017 at 15:45.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 17:22   #43795  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
There was a long standing bug with Intel GPUs where activating the "use D3D11 for presentation" option could result in video frames jumping back and forth. I was finally able to reproduce the bug on my new Kaby Lake test PC. It turned out to be a GPU driver bug (as usual). I've found a workaround, so the problem should hopefully be fixed now.
Yes, it's fixed on my laptop with Ivy Bridge processor i7-3630QM. Thanks!
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 20:30   #43796  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:

In MadVR I have to enable Directx 11 exclusive mode and I leave hdr setting on passthrough.

When I start a HDR video as soon as it goes into exclusive mode it shows as HDR.

This was the same bahavour as with last version of Madvr.
So you're saying your display still stays in SDR mode, even when you enable the "HDR and advanced color" switch in display settings? Your display only switches to HDR mode for the exact duration in which madVR is in fullscreen exclusive mode?

If that's the case, does the switch to HDR only happen if you tell madVR to pass the HDR metadata to the display?

Quote:
When playing HDR games I have to follow same process.
So madVR behaves the same way as HDR games, is that correct?

Quote:
The Nvidia HDR sample SDK doesn't work on creators update using Nvidia drivers newer than 381.89. If i install those older drivers the SDK can display a HDR signal using the Nvidia API but the option for HDR and advanced colour is missing from display settings.
Interesting. With those older drivers, does madVR v0.91.10 manage to switch into HDR mode, when using the "Nvidia's private API" option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Made tests with all possible video frame rates, no poison on my side 0.91.9 and 0.91.10 with hack enabled or disabled - everything working as expected. Always the right refresh rate is chosen, the queues are filling properly in all cases.
Tested with Win 10 x64 Creators Update, AMD R7 250 current drivers.
That sounds good. That's not the case for my Kaby Lake GPU, though. Maybe it's a driver issue, once more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi, this new option "hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work" Exactly what does this option do?
If you're not sure what the option is for then you most probably don't need it. In that case simply leave it unchecked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
I am using a GTX 1060. The OS shows the HDR switch for me. I have tried the switch on and off. My display switched into HDR when I flip the switch. The display switches *out* of HDR when FSE is activated and I can actually switch it into and out of HDR by toggling fullscreen on and off.
Wow, that's weird. Totally different behaviour to what Sideeffect and oldpainlesskodi are reporting!

You're saying your display immediately switches into HDR mode when you flip the "use HDR and Advanced color" display settings switch on, even if no video is playing and no game is running?

Quote:
When I activate the Win 10 API with the HDR switch off in windowed mode, I get basically the inverse of the above image. It's very dark with over-saturated colors.
Strange. With these settings, how does fullscreen exclusive mode look?

Quote:
With the above, with FSE disabled, almost immediately after switching to fullscreen I get a black screen followed by a system reboot.
Ouch. Sounds like a driver bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
gtx1060 and gtx 1070, latest driver, creator update, latest lavfilter and madvr, mpc-be, windows 10 API

passthrough hdr windowed or FSE + hdr slidder off = washed out color (tv doesnt show hdr)
passthrough hdr windowed + hdr slidder on = black screen and screen stay black even after closing mpc (tv show hdr)
passthrough hdr FSE + hdr slidder on = hdr displayed correctly ( tv show hdr )
So basically your TV is switching into HDR mode as soon as you turn the OS HDR slider on, regardless of whether any video or games are running?

What happens if you tell madVR to *not* pass the HDR metadata to the display? Does that change anything at all?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 20:45   #43797  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Which rendering intent is better for the 3DLUT on a monitor with sRGB coverage?
I like perceptual for sRGB/BT.709 or SD content on an sRGB display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igvk View Post
Here are the options of 3D LUT for madVR:
For Rendering intent, do not use "Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling", use perceptual or another option which does not clip out of gamut colors.

Quote:
Hi, this new option "hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work" Exactly what does this option do? For the movies of 23.976 fps and I auto change the refresher to 23hz and use Re clock. Should I also use this new option too? Why?
It hacks Direct3D to make 24 and 60 Hz work. If you want to use 24.000 Hz or 60.000 Hz you need to enable it. If you only want to use 23 Hz (23.976) or 59 Hz (59.940) then you should not enable it. It can cause presentation queues to not fill correctly so it should only be enabled if you want true 24 or 60 Hz refresh rates.

Quote:
With what configuration did you get these times?
I think I posted everything relevant in that post. I ran the tests on a i7-6700 at 4.7 GHz. Those are the individual times for NGU, not the total average rendering time. If you put an empty file called "ShowRenderSteps" in the madVR directory it will show you the rendering times for each filter individually in the OSD.

Last edited by Asmodian; 21st May 2017 at 20:50.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 21:09   #43798  |  Link
igvk

Quote:
For Rendering intent, do not use "Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling", use perceptual or another option which does not clip out of gamut colors.
Won't perceptual rendering intent actually make the in-gamut colors wrong for video?
I actually think that clipping of out-of-gamut colors is desirable.
Maybe, it's better to choose relative colorimetric then?
igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 21:10   #43799  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
It hacks Direct3D to make 24 and 60 Hz work. If you want to use 24.000 Hz or 60.000 Hz you need to enable it. If you only want to use 23 Hz (23.976) or 59 Hz (59.940) then you should not enable it. It can cause presentation queues to not fill correctly so it should only be enabled if you want true 24 or 60 Hz refresh rates.
I would like to understand when I should use it. If I change the refresh to 24hz instead of 23hz I could use it? Who would win?

Quote:
I think I posted everything relevant in that post. I ran the tests on a i7-6700 at 4.7 GHz. Those are the individual times for NGU, not the total average rendering time. If you put an empty file called "ShowRenderSteps" in the madVR directory it will show you the rendering times for each filter individually in the OSD.
Ah, ok ... they seemed too short.
Old 21st May 2017, 21:17   #43800  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:

So basically your TV is switching into HDR mode as soon as you turn the OS HDR slider on, regardless of whether any video or games are running?

What happens if you tell madVR to *not* pass the HDR metadata to the display? Does that change anything at all?
Yes exactly as soon as the HDR slidder is on, the HDR logo appears on my tv and my tv stay in HDR mode regardless of whether any video is playing. But desktop is weird / dark looking.

Once I start an hdr video in FSE, even if my tv is already in HDR mode, the hdr logo appears again and madvr/mpc-be display HDR correctly.

If I uncheck ''send HDR metadata to the display'' :
it change nothing
in FSE: HDR is still displayed properly
windowed mode: washed out colors

Last edited by imhh11; 21st May 2017 at 21:33.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling