Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th September 2018, 14:11   #52801  |  Link
mclingo

yeah, we've taken up far too much of this thread with this apologies.
Old 28th September 2018, 14:59   #52802  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantagruel68 View Post
ok thanks! that what I did. it's weird they don't do 10 bit in RGB but only in ycbcr
really? where did you got that from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
HI, perhaps this is later panel, I have DEFINATELY have ABL disabled mate.

I'll see if I can find the discussion about this and get some details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
For at least LG OLED 2016+, ABL cannot be disabled, only ASBL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
the issue I had was the whole panel would suddenly dim in a movie less often but mostly on web sites in windows, this was super annoying, this is ABL, since disabling this it no longer happens.

looks like i did it later than I thought, here is the the discussion back in 2016

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...#post-24331874
Yeah, this dimming in static elemts is ASBL. It is deactivated by the TPM option in the service menu. ABL is defeated by a low oled light setting (or calibration) like you said. Mine is calibrated to 140 nits, means a setting of 35 oled light.

I wonder how I could further improve picture quality on my 2018 C8 oled with madvr.

PC mode on lg oleds only work in 4:4:4 in 60hz mode and only when input is labeled "PC". in 23/24hz mode it wil not work in 4:4:4 RGB.

That they are only 8 bit in RBG is new to me.

My setup is GPU RGB 4:4:4, madvr 0-255 and tv set to Blacklevel high.

Maybe I should try ycbcr, but that should be one more conversion step...

I tried to find a good solution for hdr files. Experimented a bit with the new .16 build but couldn't find a good setting for now.

If there are more oled/madvr user, maybe we can open a new oled/madvr thread were we can exchange settings and impressions...

Last edited by Sunset1982; 28th September 2018 at 15:05.
Sunset1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 15:11   #52803  |  Link
mclingo

another thread I think if people want to discuss this further, i'd be interested to know how ive managed to get rid of ABL on mine with my OLED light at 60.
Old 28th September 2018, 15:18   #52804  |  Link
mclingo

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...85#post1853185

New thread here, if it gets used enough it may get sticky.
Old 28th September 2018, 16:23   #52805  |  Link
famasfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post

That they are only 8 bit in RBG is new to me.

I believe to select 12 bit on an LG OLED then you have to be playing a movie, have madVR display mode switching active, then alt tab to Nvidia control panel and select 12 bit.

That's how I do it anyway
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 16:30   #52806  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Sounds like MicroLED is gonna be a godsend when it finally arrives..
It's probably more efficient to output in 12bpc? Someone here will have the answer to that.
What leads you to believe that? Industry insiders claim it's niche only and will stay niche, they will never be able to bring LED subpixels down to the size required for smaller screens at marketable price...

Last edited by mytbyte; 28th September 2018 at 16:32.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 17:38   #52807  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
What leads you to believe that? Industry insiders claim it's niche only and will stay niche, they will never be able to bring LED subpixels down to the size required for smaller screens at marketable price...
"Smaller screens" as in what? The funny thing about display technology is that the resolutions don't really change much these days, only size does.

So we have 4K smart phone displays in 5", and 4K TVs in >50". Maybe it won't work in smartphones, but TVs is quite another ballpark entirely.
Old 28th September 2018, 17:46   #52808  |  Link
mclingo

there is a physical limitation in size that micro LEDs can drop to apparently as they currently have to installed one by one by robots and according to some sources this just isnt possible at the small scales to produce at 40-65 inch main stream TV, have read that a few places.

maybe they will find some way of 3d printing them.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/micro-l...view-5282.html
Old 28th September 2018, 20:21   #52809  |  Link
YGPMOLE

The nit value to use into the "target nit" box in madVR should be exactly the amount of the nit value the TV is capable of, am I right?

Does exist some sort of conversion table of that value for PJs, due to the fact in this case we are talking about Lux and reflecting screen, not of emitting display? Or even an aproximative suggestion?

If I well recall, the madVR default is 200 nit for PJs and 400 for digital display: are this for a correct calibration according to the HDR standard nit target?
Old 28th September 2018, 20:54   #52810  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
The nit value to use into the "target nit" box in madVR should be exactly the amount of the nit value the TV is capable of, am I right?

Does exist some sort of conversion table of that value for PJs, due to the fact in this case we are talking about Lux and reflecting screen, not of emitting display? Or even an aproximative suggestion?

If I well recall, the madVR default is 200 nit for PJs and 400 for digital display: are this for a correct calibration according to the HDR standard nit target?
yes, target nits should be the measured nits of the brightness of 100% brightness pattern...this is a bit tricky when it comes to plasma

I'm pretty sure the default target is 200 for TVs/monitors as well if you "let MadVR decide"...I don't know of any table for lux to reflected nits conversion but it surely should take distance to screen and screen gain into account as well as other factors specific to different projectors, which is a stretch, so you'll have to assume nit value of a typical projector with the given lumen output, a couple of tens of nits of difference are really not that impactful, IMHO.

Last edited by mytbyte; 28th September 2018 at 21:07.
Old 28th September 2018, 23:47   #52811  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Please no more discussion here about MicroLED, ABLs etc, unless it's really madVR related, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
Not really. Pick any value which looks good to you. Lowering the target nit will make the image brighter, on the cost of losing HDR highlights.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 02:57   #52812  |  Link
jmone

Great work on the HDR -> SDR work, looks good across a range of screens (JVC x7500, LG OLED, Sony LCD). Also tested and working well with a range of GPU's (a lowly iGPU (NUC), 970, 1070 using some preset settings.bin that nev just added over at JRiver Media Center for various "levels" of GPU).

Thanks to Madshi and all over at AVS.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 02:58   #52813  |  Link
jmone

Is it possible to bring up the madVR Settings GUI from a command line?
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 03:35   #52814  |  Link
alps006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Anyone try 411.70 yet to see if the HDR issues have been resolved? I'm downloading it now.

EDIT: Nope....still a broken mess for HDR. How nice. Back to 399 I go.
Just an FYI. I got really frustrated with Winows 10 having so many issues recently with nvidia drivers. I switched back to Windows 8.1, to tell you the truth, with the latest nvidia driver, playback of 4K HDR is fantastic without even a single glitch. I have correct composition rate (In Windows 10 it was always 23,980). HDR- SDR conversion is also working great. Really happy with the results. Thanks madshi for his nice work.
alps006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 05:33   #52815  |  Link
huhn

when i change the gamma in calibration it changes the image.
this is unexpected behaviour because if i calibrated a screen to gamma x i expect madVR to honor this and not change something related to the image.

example why this is a problem.

when i put 2 screen next to each other one with gamma 2.4 and one with gamma 2.2 than i expect an image that is mathematical different with a gamma of 0.2.

but this can't be true because if i change the gamma setting under calibration the image changes and to get this results madVR has to send both screen a bit identical image.

the gamma of the image should not be change just by the calibration setting it should only be changed in conjunction with "color & gamma -> enable gamma processing". that's assuming it is just a gamma setting and has nothing todo with internal HDR calculation. if it does something different in HDR calibration well... than this is not the correct place to do that.

edit: this is an issue with HDR-> SDR conversation. SDR is working as expected.

Last edited by huhn; 29th September 2018 at 05:48.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 05:49   #52816  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps006 View Post
Just an FYI. I got really frustrated with Winows 10 having so many issues recently with nvidia drivers. I switched back to Windows 8.1, to tell you the truth, with the latest nvidia driver, playback of 4K HDR is fantastic without even a single glitch. I have correct composition rate (In Windows 10 it was always 23,980). HDR- SDR conversion is also working great. Really happy with the results. Thanks madshi for his nice work.
That's awesome. I wish I could go back to 8.1 but it's not a really for my htpc unfortunately. Glad it's working for you though! Madshi always says to use 8.1.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 29th September 2018, 07:46   #52817  |  Link
mytbyte

@huhn: but you need to be able to tell madvr the target gamma of the tv, and you can set this independently for each screen , also HDR-SDR conversion is also some kind of "gamma processing" as under "color & gamma" section...

Here I would like to point out that addition of the option for BT.1886 would be in order for TV's with non-0 blacks

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk

Last edited by mytbyte; 29th September 2018 at 07:57.
Old 29th September 2018, 07:51   #52818  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
but you need to be able to tell madvr the target gamma of the tv, not quite sure what you're aiming at...
what is the point of telling the gamma if it is not honored?
if madVR changes the image than your gamma is not your gamma anymore it is something else.

Quote:
here I would like to note that addition of the option for BT.1886 would be in order.
that's impossible because bt 1886 can be quite a lot of different effective gamma.
Old 29th September 2018, 08:24   #52819  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what is the point of telling the gamma if it is not honored?
if madVR changes the image than your gamma is not your gamma anymore it is something else.

that's impossible because bt 1886 can be quite a lot of different effective gamma.
Second point: Damn you're right, in that case madvr should be told the measured black and white level of the tv but that falls under "processing" section actually..

On the first point - still don't understand why you think it's not honored? There is nothing to be honored - HDR processing needs to know the TV's gamma, while SDR video has no gamma defined and gamma setting has no effect, but you need to manipulate HDR gamma.

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
Old 29th September 2018, 08:43   #52820  |  Link
huhn

for what do you know what type of gamma a TV has? and why should you instantly change something. change means you don't get your "gamma" anymore.

the HDR -> SDR conversation produces an SDR image.
if you tick the default setting "disable calibration controls for this display" you will get on a gamma 2.2 calibrated TV a relative gamma of 2.2 on a 2.4 a gamma 2.4 you know what i mean. because every screen gets a bit identical image and everything is working as it should.

but as soon as you select "this display is already calibrated" with an option that is not 2.2 you will get an altered image. so the 2.4 calibrated TV doesn't get an 2.4 gamma relative to a gamma 2.2 calibrated TV. HDR or not this is incorrect if 2.4 is not 2.4 relative to 2.2 it is not 2.4 it's that simple.

don't change the image by just setting a gamma at this option or user don't get there "gamma" of choice.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling