Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th April 2018, 00:01   #50461  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I agree, RCA is not set and forget. It should only be used on content suffering from compression artifacts.
Been running more A/B on that very grainy BD movie(Revolver, my fav movie evar) and deringer also hurts PQ to my surprise as it basically does the exact opposite of white halos you would see on crappy sharpeners and destroys details in the same fashion, but then again high bitrate grainy movies don't tolerate much DSP because algorithms are confused by all the noise dancing around constantly.

Last edited by leeperry; 29th April 2018 at 00:03.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 10:44   #50462  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Yeah I think a strength setting for the deringer would be good coz once you've spotted what it does it definitely isn't set-and-forget on very noisy and/or grainy movies I think

It's really only meant to be enabled on oversharpened videos with white halos otherwise it destroys details, I took it for granted for way too long as it would appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Now that RCA is much more flexible and user friendly, I was wondering if running it for free would also be possible on NGU Standard and NGU soft. Additionally, would it be possible to specify different RCA strengths between luma and chroma? Often the chroma channels are heavily compressed to save bandwidth for luma in medium bitrate encodes.
Do you believe that asking the same questions everyday will help with anything? All it's gonna do is make madshi ignore them for good.

Last edited by leeperry; 29th April 2018 at 14:51.
Old 29th April 2018, 10:53   #50463  |  Link
el Filou

Question for madshi: considering what is being discussed in hardware sites recently regarding the negative impact of HPET on 3D software (https://www.overclockers.at/articles...d-what-it-isnt ), is madVR influenced in any way by the kind of timer Windows uses for the QueryPerformanceCounter function? (Edit: the issue seems to be that some other software can force Windows to always use the slower HPET instead of the (I)TSC)

Last edited by el Filou; 29th April 2018 at 11:06.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 11:06   #50464  |  Link
Knight77

Guys need help here, this is driving me crazy: until a pair of weeks ago everything was running fine, I had madvr v0.92.12 with all my standard settings (FSE etc.), latest nvidia drivers and I updated my TV and I made many test and I am sure that everything was working and being specific I am talking about the "automatic" switch in HDR mode using passthrough in HDR settings (with "send metadata" option checked). Then for a pair of weeks I didn't used the HTPC if not just turn it on and realize that windows wanted to update, did it and then I didn't do anything anymore. Today I updated to madvr v.092.14 and realize it was not switching my TV to HDR anymore. Pressing CTRL+J I see the HDR info but the TV is not switching to HDR mode.

Then I went back to v0.92.12 : nothing changed.
Then I also deleted the drivers with DDU and went back to nvidia Driver v.385.28: nothing changed.

What the hell can it be? Any suggestion?

Note: with PS4 games the TV actually works as always (as it should) switching automatically from Game to HDR when the game support it, so I don't think is something related to the TV even if that received an update too.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Even if no one replied just wanted to let you know that looks like I have solved the problem.

Last edited by Knight77; 30th April 2018 at 00:03.
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 11:35   #50465  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Question for madshi: considering what is being discussed in hardware sites recently regarding the negative impact of HPET on 3D software (https://www.overclockers.at/articles...d-what-it-isnt ), is madVR influenced in any way by the kind of timer Windows uses for the QueryPerformanceCounter function? (Edit: the issue seems to be that some other software can force Windows to always use the slower HPET instead of the (I)TSC)

TSC+LAPICs Low performance (slow timers + syncing) = 2.76MHz

LAPICs low performance (slow timer - no syncing) = 3.5Mhz

TSC+HPET medium performance (slow and fast timer + syncing) = 3.8Mhz

HPET high performance (fast timer - no syncing) = 14.3MHz

For me I have a stable refresh rate everytime I reboot the pc, without it, reclock has to adjust everytime...
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 11:50   #50466  |  Link
sat4all

guys need help here, Any idea how to lower external subtitles brightness while watching hdr contents. bcs It doesn't matter what color you choose, the subtitles aren't just white, but blazingly bright white Cool, while uhd-bluray's embedded subs look really fine. tried almost every sub filter xy,vs,mpc internal.
Is there something that could be done from madshi's end or it's totaly up to the sub filter?
Old 29th April 2018, 12:01   #50467  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
(Edit: the issue seems to be that some other software can force Windows to always use the slower HPET instead of the (I)TSC)
While software can theoretically make that change, its not something that just happens on the fly - you have to reboot for that to take effect and its easy to check if something fiddled with your system to force HPET on. And only very weird software does that change, usually stuff that messes with your system anyway, like Overclocking software.
Old 29th April 2018, 12:17   #50468  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
TSC+LAPICs Low performance (slow timers + syncing) = 2.76MHz

LAPICs low performance (slow timer - no syncing) = 3.5Mhz

TSC+HPET medium performance (slow and fast timer + syncing) = 3.8Mhz

HPET high performance (fast timer - no syncing) = 14.3MHz
Invariant TSC trumps HPET AFAIK because it's equally accurate and doesn't come with the extra latency HPET requires, but his question was whether this would matter to mVR I think.
Old 29th April 2018, 12:19   #50469  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Invariant TSC trumps HPET AFAIK because it's equally accurate and doesn't come with the extra latency HPET requires, but his question was whether this would matter to mVR I think.
In my case it affects the refresh rate in madvr.

Anyway every pc is somehow different.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 12:51   #50470  |  Link
Sideeffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Do you ever read the thread before posting?
I posted for confirmation there is no harm posting the same issue again, it shows that multiple people have the issue and it's not just a configuration issue for one person. I also included the software enviroment information and other configuration settings tried.

I don't really understand the hostility it's not like I am spamming posts.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 14:59   #50471  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideeffect View Post
I posted for confirmation there is no harm posting the same issue again, it shows that multiple people have the issue and it's not just a configuration issue for one person. I also included the software enviroment information and other configuration settings tried.

I don't really understand the hostility it's not like I am spamming posts.
It didn't read as a confirmation as you didn't post as if you had read the last 2-3 pages of the thread.

There is no hostility, just tired of repeating the same thing over and over simply because some are too lazy to read the feedback since the last release.

If it was a confirmation, then apologies, but please make it clearer next time so that it doesn't look like you're reporting something new and are wondering what's happening.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 02:08   #50472  |  Link
x7007

So the new Nvidia Drivers 397 , allows you to use NV HDR mode with RGB 8 Bit .

Quote from other forum :

Have you tried the latest drivers? Geforce 397.31 WHQL and 397.40 (new Vulkan dev drivers) both let Windows 10 switch to HDR using RGB 8-bit with dithering. It actually looks really good, i opened Final Fantasy 15 (HDR), Fortnite (not HDR), Warframe (not HDR) so far, and they all looked great, the desktop also looks good too.

I finally got my Samsung tv to look good by using Game Mode instead of PC Mode for HDR as well. Now that they fixed the latency by allowing HDR in RGB mode for 4k, i think i will be keeping HDR enabled all the time now.

For me HDR now seems to work at RGB 8 Bit , that's what windows says on the display properties , before if you lock the Nvidia Control panel to RGB 8 bit then it wouldn't go into HDR mode if you launched a HDR movies in potplayer or other player, it would stay non hdr mode.

Last edited by x7007; 30th April 2018 at 02:10.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 05:37   #50473  |  Link
Axelpowa

Hi,

I've started using the last official version of madvr after the testmode5.

So far that diffuse white option is gone I'm having some trouble getting the same picture tones as before.

Before I had two settings with peak nits to 100 and diffuse white to 23 or 30.

Is now diffuse white by default 100 and should I scale the peak nits by the same multiplier as diffuse white? IE, if I had 100-30 should I put now 333 in peak nits?

Regards!
Axelpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 08:13   #50474  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelpowa View Post
Is now diffuse white by default 100 and should I scale the peak nits by the same multiplier as diffuse white? IE, if I had 100-30 should I put now 333 in peak nits?
Yes, that's what you want.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 09:37   #50475  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Exactly. See FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread.
well they talk briefly about VVR video apps. so it can atleast be used gneerally for something even through it's not fixing the A/V sync.

but if there are people out there that know if there is an API or a way to use VVR to make it useful for madVR than these are most likely the persons that do.

i personally don't really care about VFR displays.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 10:09   #50476  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
So the new Nvidia Drivers 397 , allows you to use NV HDR mode with RGB 8 Bit .

Quote from other forum :

Have you tried the latest drivers? Geforce 397.31 WHQL and 397.40 (new Vulkan dev drivers) both let Windows 10 switch to HDR using RGB 8-bit with dithering. It actually looks really good, i opened Final Fantasy 15 (HDR), Fortnite (not HDR), Warframe (not HDR) so far, and they all looked great, the desktop also looks good too.

I finally got my Samsung tv to look good by using Game Mode instead of PC Mode for HDR as well. Now that they fixed the latency by allowing HDR in RGB mode for 4k, i think i will be keeping HDR enabled all the time now.

For me HDR now seems to work at RGB 8 Bit , that's what windows says on the display properties , before if you lock the Nvidia Control panel to RGB 8 bit then it wouldn't go into HDR mode if you launched a HDR movies in potplayer or other player, it would stay non hdr mode.
Good find. I have tried 397.31 and uninstalled it, but 397.40 seems to handle HDR with the NV api much better (vastly improved contrast and tone mapping) on my set up. I lose 36bit custom res, but it saves content type set at full screen videos, so will keep.

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 30th April 2018 at 14:01. Reason: Typo
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 15:35   #50477  |  Link
sauma144

Any news or leaks about the new algorithm?
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 16:34   #50478  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
Any news or leaks about the new algorithm?
No, nothing.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 18:07   #50479  |  Link
wolfman2791

Guys... I have a problem. Ever since I upgraded to the last version, I get this strange sound from my R9 390. I know it's from madvr because it goes away as soon as I turn it off. Anyone else have this problem?
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 18:27   #50480  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Like this, 2 pages ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
Hi, starting last night I started hearing a quiet chirping sound that sounds not unlike a cricket. I've tracked the problem back to MadVR ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am almost positive that is coil whine, a manufacturing defect that specific loads can cause to manafest. Try different madVR settings, more or less load can change or eliminate the sound.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling