Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th August 2012, 15:24   #1  |  Link
lulalala

Want to make an image archival format using x264

Summary in one sentence: I want to make an image archival format which supports random access. How can I achieve this using x264?

Long ver.:
I was looking for a format to archive a set of BMP images. The set contains many subset of very similar images. So I am looking for an archiving format which takes advantage of differential storage, but also have a good random access rate.

I was using 7z (solid mode) which compress great but does not support random access.

My conceptual format works like this. Say there are 10 similar images , A0, A1 to A9. The archive will store the whole of A0, and the difference A0-A1, A0-A2 and so on. When accessing A4, it will access A0, and then access the difference A0-A4. It will output the A4 by merging the difference.

I asked this in the compression board and they told me to investigate in modern video formats. I have self-studied a few days. Here are my questions, grouped in theory/practical /grand level.

Theoretical level:
I learned basic theory of video encoding.
I learned that x264 supports RGB and lossless.
But can h264 allow having one I-frame and have subsequent P-frames referencing to that I frame. So I won't need to read several frame before decoding one frame.
If I have several subsets, can x264 detect that and make something like IPPPPPIPPIPPP? If not what are the possible peusdo steps to achieve that(a wrapper to preprocess then feed to x264?)

On the practical level(of making such a file by hand):
I also learned that avisynth is used to have bmp source converted to raw video, and feed it to MeGUI. Is this the right path?

On the grand level(making programs to automate decoding/encoding):
I want to make a C# compression program for users. I guess this program has to generate avisynth script and pass it to megui library?
I also want to make a C# decompression program, decompressing the format to bmp or jpeg. Do I just use any h264 decoder to do that?
Is is easy to use all of these under C#?

I know the questions are a mixture of different areas/difficulties, and may not be written as clear as it can be. Sorry about that and thanks for reading this.
lulalala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avisynth, h264, x264