Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd August 2018, 04:20   #51921  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
FSE has practically been discontinued in Windows 10. Its being emulated by the OS instead of being "real". It would be best to just give it up in favor of Independent/Direct Flip modes.
Alright, noted.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2018, 05:06   #51922  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
which nvidia just broke.

nothing wrong with adding newer better presenation mode but that doesn't change that FSE is and will still be required in the near future even newer games are not made with dx 11 or directx at all. just have a look at older unity engine games which doesn't support FSE and the major problems because of this...

and the major advantage of FSE which is now generally gone in windows 10 was that nothing was displayed in from of it. ohh your disk is "nearly" full let's tell you even through this is no problem at all on top of a FSE surface.

windows 10 is a regression for HTPC mostly for intantionally breaking FSE.
That's largely because of the fact that windowed fullscreen is a better experience in virtually every scenario. I agree with you, I'm a fan of isolation, but when a mass of gamers speaks (and VERY loudly speaks) that they want the benefits of windowed fullscreen that looks like exclusive, then the driver writers are going to provide it for them. At this point, they've been working within WFS to implement most of the benefits of FSE, anyway, so we're starting to reap that without being a slave to crappy monitor scaling too.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2018, 05:11   #51923  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
FSE absolutely works better for me on Win10 1803. However, windowed worked better for me on Win10 1709.

Windowed for me on 1803, the reported refresh rate in MadVR keeps jumping around. With FSE, it's rock solid. (Nvidia 1050ti)
The exact same for me. 1803 was a big step backwards.

QB
Old 3rd August 2018, 05:34   #51924  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
That's largely because of the fact that windowed fullscreen is a better experience in virtually every scenario. I agree with you, I'm a fan of isolation, but when a mass of gamers speaks (and VERY loudly speaks) that they want the benefits of windowed fullscreen that looks like exclusive, then the driver writers are going to provide it for them. At this point, they've been working within WFS to implement most of the benefits of FSE, anyway, so we're starting to reap that without being a slave to crappy monitor scaling too.

when did gamer every cry about it? it was a choice in the past now it isn't really one anymore. some games worked a lot better with FSE and some worked bad with it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:46   #51925  |  Link
tony359

Hi there,
I have a few minor issues since I've updated to 1803 and to the latest madVR 0.92.14

1. madVR does not move a scope picture at the bottom of the screen anymore. I have "automatically detect hard coded black bars" and "always shift the image" enabled.

(edit: I remembered having the same issue before and searched the forum: it does not work with DXVA native! Thanks!)

2. When I switch from exclusive to windowed mode, there is a long delay (usually it was almost instantaneous, only the first time after switching on the set it would take a few seconds). But mostly, when the picture reappears, it's frozen -the audio never stops - and eventually restarts in sync after 4-5 seconds.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled madVR and the player (MPC-HC) to no avail.

Any suggestions?
madVR is definitely working, I have a 3D lut file which is visibly enabled and if I change other parameters, I can see the picture changing.

Thank you!

Last edited by tony359; 3rd August 2018 at 09:51.
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:44   #51926  |  Link
mclingo

no FSE, no 3D or HDR for me on AMD CARD WIN 10 1709 - although...I havent tested this for a while, perhaps latest AMD drivers which no longer trigger HDR might actually work in window mode with the new drivers, i hadnt though of though, Ill test this later tonight.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:08   #51927  |  Link
Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
When I switch from exclusive to windowed mode, there is a long delay (usually it was almost instantaneous, only the first time after switching on the set it would take a few seconds). But mostly, when the picture reappears, it's frozen -the audio never stops - and eventually restarts in sync after 4-5 seconds. I have uninstalled and reinstalled madVR and the player (MPC-HC) to no avail.
Must be a few weeks (or months) that I that have (almost) the same problem that is, when switching from normal to exclusive mode too. Also, the syncing takes place after 10 seconds (old video card). I guess it's caused by a recent Windows update.

Some say "oh don't use FSE in W10" but exactly what is the alternative? Do OS notifications stop automatically when in full-screen mode or there's always the risk of interruptions?
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:45   #51928  |  Link
thighhighs

You have all Windows 10 focus assist features disabled? It fix "frozen video" for me.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 00:10   #51929  |  Link
tony359

must be Windows 1803 as my main PC is doing exactly the same and I have recently updated to 1803.

thighhighs, on my main PC the focus assist feature is already disabled but I experience the same delay - thanks for your input though.
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 04:15   #51930  |  Link
jaytrinitron

MPC-HC and Vapoursynth Integration?

Hello, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place as it is only tangentially linked to madvr, but this does relate to @madshi. I was wondering whether it is possible to somehow "hook" vapoursynth into mpc-hc or madvr or something, similar to how ffdshow "hooks" avisynth scripts into mpc-hc. I stumbled across this thread after some quick googling: https://github.com/vapoursynth/vapoursynth/issues/305

Am I to take this thread to mean somehow vapoursynth scripts can be implemented into mpc-hc/madvr? Can anyone shed some light on this?
jaytrinitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 04:19   #51931  |  Link
huhn

is/was a planned feature that is not yet released.
his dev build clearly can do it as you can see.
Old 4th August 2018, 04:31   #51932  |  Link
jaytrinitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
is/was a planned feature that is not yet released.
his dev build clearly can do it as you can see.
I see, so this was over a dev build... I hope it is still due for release then. It would be an incredibly helpful feature, given how useful vapoursynth is.
Old 4th August 2018, 05:57   #51933  |  Link
toniash

MPC-HC and Vapoursynth Integration?

It's integrated in PotPlayer
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 06:30   #51934  |  Link
jaytrinitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
It's integrated in PotPlayer
Is it really? Interesting. Does Potplayer support directshow filters like LAV filters, madVR, xysubfilter, etc.?
Old 4th August 2018, 07:51   #51935  |  Link
sauma144

Yes and yes.
There are some packs/bundles/installers with madVR/AviSynth+/Vapoursynth presets available too.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 08:08   #51936  |  Link
jaytrinitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
Yes and yes.
There are some packs/bundles/installers with madVR/AviSynth+/Vapoursynth presets available too.
Wow! Thanks for the tip, do you have any links?
Old 4th August 2018, 11:01   #51937  |  Link
sauma144

I sent you a private message.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 11:52   #51938  |  Link
el Filou

I was watching some comedy HDTV broadcast when I noticed moiré on the background, so for reference if that is of interest to some people, here is what can happen when you (let the renderer/display try to) deinterlace 25PsF material instead of weaving the fields as should be done.
Sadly, neither my NVIDIA or madVR can detect and ivtc a 2:2 cadence in 50i.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GR...zg8mxrh-oF2BFI

Note that this is HD so moiré/aliasing is the 'only' artifact you'll see, but if it was SD you'd have NVIDIA suboptimal deinterlacing artifacts in addition to it, which is even worse. (I got the case on the recent broadcast of Stewart Lee's show on BBC, which I can receive only in SD)

PS: before anyone accuses NVIDIA's deinterlacing to be the cause of this, know that I also tested YADIF and it acts exactly the same.
Old 4th August 2018, 12:00   #51939  |  Link
huhn

did you try film mode in madVR?
Old 4th August 2018, 12:21   #51940  |  Link
el Filou

Yes of course that's what I use to fix this (using a keyboard shortcut), but what I meant is that's not really user-friendly, to have to manually try film mode with each different material you watch.
Is 2:2 cadence really that difficult to detect algorithmically? I don't get why all ivtc'ers can detect 3:2 just fine but not 2:2.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling