Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th January 2016, 17:05   #35641  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Yes, please. It's important to know if it's a new problem and which exact build introduced it.
I do it later tonight. DispcalGUI must be finished before I can do anything else.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 18:14   #35642  |  Link
bbsc

Quote:
Should be fixed in this build:

http://madshi.net/madVRbbsc2.rar
Excellent.
Now everything is working as it should to. Playback, resizing, everything...
You're the best

Thank you very much.
Now my old HTPC has a chance to live a couple of years longer.
bbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 00:33   #35643  |  Link
scollaco

I'm having issues getting 3D to work. I'm a noob so maybe I missed something.

1) I have windows 10 and the latest 6th generation NUC with Intel Iris Pro 540 Graphics. (NUC6i5syk).
2) I installed madVR v.0.90.3 and the latest LAV filters fromt he nightly builds (0.67.0-65).

This is what I did:
1) I set the display control panel to have 3D "on".
2) In madVR I turned off "exclusive mode". I enabled "use Direct3D11 for presentation (is this correct?) and also check marked "present a frame for every VSync" (Is this a needed step too?)
3) I didn't touch any settings in madVr's stereo 3D area besides the default that si checked "enable stereo 3d playback"

When playing a 3d mkv made using makemkv, I see that LAV filters is using the "msdk mvc" decoder.

on playing a movie, the projector correctly switches resolution to 1920x2205 for framepacked 3D. However the image that shows up is frozen and the movie doesn't play any further. At that point I cannot exit out of my MPC-BE player and need to kill it using the task manager. I'm stuck because it looks like it all correctly switches to 3d and I have a proper 3d image on screen, but it is frozen and refuses to play the movie.

I also tried setting my scaling algorithms to the most basic but still same issue. Any advice what I'm doing wrong or what step I'm missing?
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 08:52   #35644  |  Link
Tarzan

Problem with autodetected black bars

Hi!

I'm trying to run a automatic CIH setup by cropping the bottom and top part om my ~2,37:1 screen, using only an active screen area of 1920x810, but I cant get it to work. By work I mean always setting the height of the active area of the image to 810 pixels, unless the AR is wider than 2,37:1 of course.

What i've done is:
Screen config:
Define visible screen are by cropping masked borders: 135 bottom and 135 top.
Zoom control:
[x] automatically detect hard coded black bars
[x] zoom small black bars away
[x] crop black bars

In mpc-hc the video frame is set to touch window from inside.

For now the only option that seem to do anything is "if there are big black bars ... zoom the bars away completely", but this option also crops bottom and top content from 16:9 content and doesn't respond to changes in AR in a movie at all. Am I missing something?

Other than not having to manually set the zoom for cinescope content within a 16:9 video I would be happy to be able to watch grand budapest hotel showing a minimum of black bars throughout the movie.

I'm using Windows 10, MPC-HC, Madvr v0.90.3 and a Sony vpl-hw20 (which doesn't have a lens memory function).
Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 09:45   #35645  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
and doesn't respond to changes in AR in a movie at all.
Make sure you don't have the MPC option View->Video Frame->"Keep Aspect Ratio" enabled.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 10:03   #35646  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post

1) I have windows 10 and the latest 6th generation NUC with Intel Iris Pro 540 Graphics. (NUC6i5syk).
2) I installed madVR v.0.90.3 and the latest LAV filters fromt he nightly builds (0.67.0-65).

This is what I did:
2) In madVR I turned off "exclusive mode". I enabled "use Direct3D11 for presentation (is this correct?) and also check marked "present a frame for every VSync" (Is this a needed step too?)
3) I didn't touch any settings in madVr's stereo 3D area besides the default that si checked "enable stereo 3d playback"

When playing a 3d mkv made using makemkv, I see that LAV filters is using the "msdk mvc" decoder.

on playing a movie, the projector correctly switches resolution to 1920x2205 for framepacked 3D. However the image that shows up is frozen and the movie doesn't play any further. At that point I cannot exit out of my MPC-BE player and need to kill it using the task manager. I'm stuck because it looks like it all correctly switches to 3d and I have a proper 3d image on screen, but it is frozen and refuses to play the movie.

I also tried setting my scaling algorithms to the most basic but still same issue. Any advice what I'm doing wrong or what step I'm missing?
Are you using x86 or x64 version of MPC-BE? If you're using x64, try x86 instead, just to double check.

Quote:
I'm trying to run a automatic CIH setup by cropping the bottom and top part om my ~2,37:1 screen, using only an active screen area of 1920x810, but I cant get it to work. By work I mean always setting the height of the active area of the image to 810 pixels, unless the AR is wider than 2,37:1 of course.

What i've done is:
Screen config:
Define visible screen are by cropping masked borders: 135 bottom and 135 top.
Zoom control:
[x] automatically detect hard coded black bars
[x] zoom small black bars away
[x] crop black bars

In mpc-hc the video frame is set to touch window from inside.

For now the only option that seem to do anything is "if there are big black bars ... zoom the bars away completely", but this option also crops bottom and top content from 16:9 content and doesn't respond to changes in AR in a movie at all. Am I missing something?

Other than not having to manually set the zoom for cinescope content within a 16:9 video I would be happy to be able to watch grand budapest hotel showing a minimum of black bars throughout the movie.

I'm using Windows 10, MPC-HC, Madvr v0.90.3 and a Sony vpl-hw20 (which doesn't have a lens memory function).
Ok, let's analyse what's going on: Please create an empty file named "ShowBlackBars" in the madVR folder. If you do that, madVR will draw a green rectangle around the detected "active video area". Does this rectangle show the correct video area? If so, at least the black bar detection works correctly. If not, black bar detection itself fails for some reason. Are you using native DXVA decoding, maybe? Currently black bar detection doesn't work for native DXVA decoding. Any other mode should work, though.

One more thing to test would be to run natively encoded cinemascope, 16:9 and 4:3 movies (without any black bars inside of the encoded video area), just to check whether the video is zoomed correctly in your setup then?

FWIW, with Budapest Hotal don't always expect instant detection of new black bar configurations. Depending on the situation detection *can* be instant, but it can sometimes also take 10-15 seconds. Once one specific black bar configuration was detected, though, switching back to it again should be instant then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
Make sure you don't have the MPC option View->Video Frame->"Keep Aspect Ratio" enabled.
Hmmm... Doesn't that only affect AR and not the whole zoom? Not sure, though.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 11:12   #35647  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Whoever has windows 8.1 and windows 10 , do like that, it boosted my performance in Skyrim from 28 to 60+ . windows 8.1 and windows 10 are bugged with full of bad settings that worked in windows 7 just fine. In windows 7 I got 100+ fps in skyrim. even with LOW everything the FPS stayed 28 , no way it is possible with 970 GTX and 3770K 4.3 Ghz I will get this kind of fps. This setting from here http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-...-speed-1516413 Fixed the issue. I will do it on my laptop 8.1 too and see how it improved things. it might fix stupid bugs in the media player that we use, because we use Exclusive mode and it's like gaming, should work the same.
I'll be curious whether win8.1 will be also fixed by this. It's an old trick (from WinXP age). Do you have SSD in both or just HDD?
I'm not sure whether I've applied this on my laptop that has SSD (win8.1) but I'll check it this evening and if not I'd definitely set this! Thanks for mentioning!
Old 26th January 2016, 11:24   #35648  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
I do it later tonight. DispcalGUI must be finished before I can do anything else.
Okay ... I have tested with version 0.89.16 Same problem. Everything is updated to the latest version, Lav Filters, etc.
Old 26th January 2016, 11:28   #35649  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I get an error in the upper left corner that says something like: Could not read display mode. It only happens if I disable FSE. AMD control panel crashes and windows behave very strangely and I will have to restart.

Windows 10 x64
MPC-HC x86 latest
madVR x86 latest
AMD R9 270 with latest driver
Display 1920x1080 60Hz
Try installing a different GPU driver. It's probably a GPU driver bug. Or if you have a Crossfire setup, try disabling Crossfire.
Old 26th January 2016, 11:52   #35650  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Try installing a different GPU driver. It's probably a GPU driver bug. Or if you have a Crossfire setup, try disabling Crossfire.
Jeez ... I'm so tired of AMD and Windows 10 :/ I try to install version 15.7.1 and returns the result.
Old 26th January 2016, 12:03   #35651  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Jeez ... I'm so tired of AMD and Windows 10 :/ I try to install version 15.7.1 and returns the result.
Solved nothing. It must be a Windows bug.

EDIT: Just want to add that it is a clean Windows 10 installation, nothing but, MPC-HC, Lav Filters and madVR is installed.

Last edited by MSL_DK; 26th January 2016 at 12:09.
Old 26th January 2016, 12:17   #35652  |  Link
huhn

i have a r9 270 and windows 10 too.

what type of display and windows 10 version are you running currently? and what type of connection is used?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 12:28   #35653  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i have a r9 270 and windows 10 too.

what type of display and windows 10 version are you running currently? and what type of connection is used?
Windows 10 Pro x64 OS Build 10586.63
Panasonic CX700@1080p /HDMI
Old 26th January 2016, 12:30   #35654  |  Link
huhn

i try later today my r9 270 at my cx700 and the windows 10 build on that Pc should be at the 105XX
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 13:23   #35655  |  Link
Tarzan

Quote:
Are you using native DXVA decoding, maybe? Currently black bar detection doesn't work for native DXVA decoding. Any other mode should work, though.
This! I disabled hardware decoding and now it's working.
Thank you!
Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 13:47   #35656  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i try later today my r9 270 at my cx700 and the windows 10 build on that Pc should be at the 105XX
That would be great
Old 26th January 2016, 14:10   #35657  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
This! I disabled hardware decoding and now it's working.
FWIW, you can use DXVA copyback, or really any other mode. The only one which doesn't work for black bar detection is "native DXVA".
Old 26th January 2016, 14:30   #35658  |  Link
Backflash

Freesync question.

I have range of 35-90hz( windows10 stable update 1 build, r9 390 crimson 16.1), i keep it at 90 due to how windows sometimes doesn't switch monitor back on if i leave it idle and keep it at 120hz in desktop. i don't know if it's driver or windwos issue with displayport or maybe a monitor hard to tell.

Is there a way to make windows switch to 72hz when madvr is running? it shouldn't even blackscreen monitor for that.

Oh and, i have same 0.90.x display driver crash that can't recover - have to hard reset, 0.90 is very rare so i use that but 0.90.x+ crashes often.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 14:40   #35659  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
Freesync question.

I have range of 35-90hz( windows10 stable update 1 build, r9 390 crimson 16.1), i keep it at 90 due to how windows sometimes doesn't switch monitor back on if i leave it idle and keep it at 120hz in desktop. i don't know if it's driver or windwos issue with displayport or maybe a monitor hard to tell.

Is there a way to make windows switch to 72hz when madvr is running? it shouldn't even blackscreen monitor for that.
I have no Freesync monitor so I can't help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
Oh and, i have same 0.90.x display driver crash that can't recover - have to hard reset, 0.90 is very rare so i use that but 0.90.x+ crashes often.
Are you using x86 or x64 version of your media player and madVR? If you're using x64, try using x86 instead to see if you have the same display driver crash problem with that. If you have the same crashes in x86, then please look at this post:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...26#post1754526
Old 26th January 2016, 14:40   #35660  |  Link
scollaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post

This is what I did:

Quote:
Are you using x86 or x64 version of MPC-BE? If you're using x64, try x86 instead, just to double check.
Thanks for the reply madshi.

I'm think I'm already using the x86 version of MPC-BE. As well madVR & LAV as well. LAV and mpc-be install in C:\Program Files (x86)\mpc-be.exe

Any other advice?
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling