Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:16   #19  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
That's not entirely true. Even the lossless audio compression may add null samples at the beginning or/and at the end of the encodes, in order to fit the defined frame sizes,
so, if/when the decoder doesn't discard the padding samples, then the playback cannot be gapless anymore;

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168133
Yeah but you were testing using a DST-MA encoder weren't you? Isn't DTS-MA a lossy core with a layer of extra data so it can also be decoded losslessly?
If that's the case I'd assume the lossy part would need to support gapless playback just as any lossy encoder would.

I've tested it using both FLAC and LAME encoded MP3s, and whether they're encoded as individual tracks or as a single multitrack files they play back gaplessly using foobar2000. In the case of MP3 at least, I'd assume it requires a player which supports gapless playback, but even so, if I encode a wave file with foobar2000 it'll report the wave file as consisting of "X" number of samples, it'll report the encoded MP3 as having the same number of samples and after converting back to wave the sample count still doesn't change. FLAC works the same way, but probably because it's inherently gapless rather than relying on metadata as MP3's do.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cd-audio, flac, format, mp3, ripping