Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 3rd December 2003, 22:20   #1  |  Link
Suiryc

[VirtualDubMod] 1.5.10.2 released (updated) <2006-02-21>

As the subject say.

The changelog (not as long as in previous releases )

Code:
[VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1]
Cyrius:
- Warn you when a subtitle don't have its duration set in a matroska file (instead
  of throwing an error).
- Warn you if something really bad about timecodes happens when writing an mkv file.
- Fixed bug (1.5.4.1) where all streams would be muxed with a 1 frame interleaving.
- Fixed bug (1.5.4.1) where Matroska Segment size was incorrectly written.
- When editing an mkv file (without recompressing) the Aspect Ratio info is kept.
- Fixed bug where some large (>4GB) files wouldn't open.
- Fixed bug where the length of uncompressed audio streams would be wrong for OGM/MKV files.
- Fixed bug preventing Win 9x/Me users from saving sequence of images.
- Using Advanced filtering on more than one audio stream should work properly now.
- Fixed yet a few crashes when processing badly corrupted OGM files.
- Fixed bug where chapter information were incorrectly processed when muxing (would happen
  when deleting a subset starting at frame 0).
- Fixed possible crash when processing corrupted MP3 VBR stream muxed in an AVI file by
  Nandub or (really) old versions of VirtualDubMod.
- Fixed problem with AVI files containing an MP3 stream encoded using Dr. DivX.
- Fixed possible problem with AVI files containing MP3 VBR muxed with AVI-Mux GUI.
- Fixed problem (error -100, no video appearing in the preview windows) where XviD was
  selected as decoder (instead of DivX) with OGM/MKV files containing DivX 5 video.
- Fixed broken code (resulting in problems when opening or muxing) in the DTS parser.
- Take into account the LFE channel in channel count for AC3 files.
- Readded the possibility to enqueue "Save WAV" or "Demux" as a job.
- Stream title is now written as stream name in AVI files.
- Copied VirtualDub 1.5.5 code to fix the focus stealing issues with the "Dubbing Status"
  window. Also now this window remains hidden when using the /s commandline option.
- Fixed bug where some mkv files (with incorrect segment size) wouldn't open.
- Fixed bug preventing the "Audio" menu to popup under Windows NT4.
- Merged changes up to 1.5.10. Expect new exciting bugs now :>
- Removed ASF support in the code. There are better tools out there for ASF.
- Removed internal AC3 decompressing since fccHandler made an ACM codec for AC3.
- Added an option ("Adjust chapters ...") for chapters inside a stream. When enabled the
  chapters time are adjusted according to the subsets (i.e. the chapters listed for a stream
  are considered as the ones for the original full clip). When disabled the chapters are
  only adjusted according to the start and end time of your selection (i.e. the chapters
  listed are considered as the ones of the clip after you edited subsets).
- Warning (instead of errors) are triggered for some errors (when some data had no timestamp,
  or when a frame had only a forward reference) inside Matroska files.
- A warning should be triggered when a VFR video stream is found inside a Matroska file.
  Nb: in this case we strongly advise you to use another tool to safely process your file.
- Removed VDM specific items from the 'standard' preference windows. Use the 'VDubMod'
  preferences window to setup those settings.
- Added a (track) "Name" comment in the availabe comment types. This set the track name in
  AVI files (only shown by some players) and correspond to the track name in Matroska.

Belgabor:
- Included Toff's fix for the last chapter in matroska files.
- Added 'Insert Crop' in the Script Editor for AviSynth scripting. It sums up all 
  crops performed in the VDub filters.
- Two new options for the Script Editor. One activates single instance mode meaning
  you will only have one editor window. The other one automatically pops up the script
  editor when you open an avs file or loads it into an active editor window in single
  instance mode.
- Fixed: Refresh [1.5.9]
- Fixed: Frameset transfer to AVS Editor [1.5.9]
- Fixed: Hotkeys in AVS Editor [1.5.9]
- Converted filename transfer to unicode.
- Partly fixed: AVS Templates (no unicode filenames and no multiple selection yet) [1.5.9]
- AVS Templates are now a part of the normal Open Dialog, replacing "Open via Avisynth".
- Fixed: tick settings not working if a file is opened via the MRU
As usual on SourceForge.

[Edit]
Bugfix versions are available, see later in this thread.
[/Edit]

Many important changes have been made in the code of VirtualDub since last release. So there may be many stupid bugs remaining ...

Enjoy

Last edited by Suiryc; 9th March 2004 at 15:23.
Suiryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2003, 01:43   #2  |  Link
stax76

thanks a lot for your hard work. I did not test yet but got already a question, how is the VirtualDub code related to the VirtualDubMod code?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2003, 10:20   #3  |  Link
Tuning
I'm back! :D

Thanks Suiryc, Belgabor and other VDM team members.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolemite
thanks a lot for your hard work. I did not test yet but got already a question, how is the VirtualDub code related to the VirtualDubMod code?
Dolemite, everyone knows VDM is a derivative of Vdub. Hence code will be similar except in additions made for adding OGM/MKV/ac3/Ogg/SRT ( Many other additions which i don't exactly know )....etc support. It has a avisynth script editor too.
Old 4th December 2003, 12:26   #4  |  Link
stax76

I have noticed VDM is derived from VD. I would like to know if and how the code is kept in sync
Old 4th December 2003, 13:55   #5  |  Link
ikarus

avs editor autopopup/single-instance mode not working with drag'n'drop

@belgabor

1st:
I activated above mentioned Options in the preferences, saved and even restarted vdubmod.

this works well when using the file=>open menu,
but using drag'n'drop it won't.

------- dream section ---------

2nd: the import crop is very nice, but (referring to our initial chat in that other thread) in respect to usefulness to encode-addicts like me some other ideas (i hope you dont mind):

crop:
for cropping i use the "null transform" filter (since i use vdubmod only to determine my cropping and trimming values for my scripts), for your "Insert Crop" - Function i need to close both, the filter settings as well as the filterlist window and save the cropping values. this becomes unhandy when processing 10+ avs files in a row, since you'd have to reset these values for the new avs for each set cropping value manually.
if possible, it would be better to have an extra button in the cropping-settings window to set the current settings as crop values in the script, without having to save them to vdubmod filter settings before.

trim:
same as for crop, my suggestion would be 2 buttons in the cropping settings window for in/out, saving the values to in_x/out_x, and processing these on closure of the cropping settings or on pressing a third button (or each time an in/out - set is complete) to a valid trim line to the script.

these options would make it a perfect tool for me, maybe you like some of these ideas.
------------ end dream section ----------

best regards
ikarus
ikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2003, 17:32   #6  |  Link
Belgabor
VDubMod Devel

Quote:
I have noticed VDM is derived from VD. I would like to know if and how the code is kept in sync
Thats mainly Cyrius' work. Its manual work, as far as I know using a three way diff.
If you have a bug report or feature request for VirtualDubMod, be sure to read the rules first.
We give 100% of your donations to the Open Source community
Belgabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2003, 17:37   #7  |  Link
Belgabor
VDubMod Devel

Re: avs editor autopopup/single-instance mode not working with drag'n'drop

Quote:
Originally posted by ikarus
@belgabor

1st:
I activated above mentioned Options in the preferences, saved and even restarted vdubmod.

this works well when using the file=>open menu,
but using drag'n'drop it won't.

------- dream section ---------

2nd: the import crop is very nice, but (referring to our initial chat in that other thread) in respect to usefulness to encode-addicts like me some other ideas (i hope you dont mind):

crop:
for cropping i use the "null transform" filter (since i use vdubmod only to determine my cropping and trimming values for my scripts), for your "Insert Crop" - Function i need to close both, the filter settings as well as the filterlist window and save the cropping values. this becomes unhandy when processing 10+ avs files in a row, since you'd have to reset these values for the new avs for each set cropping value manually.
if possible, it would be better to have an extra button in the cropping-settings window to set the current settings as crop values in the script, without having to save them to vdubmod filter settings before.

trim:
same as for crop, my suggestion would be 2 buttons in the cropping settings window for in/out, saving the values to in_x/out_x, and processing these on closure of the cropping settings or on pressing a third button (or each time an in/out - set is complete) to a valid trim line to the script.

these options would make it a perfect tool for me, maybe you like some of these ideas.
------------ end dream section ----------

best regards
ikarus
1st: probably an oversight =)
2nd: I'll see what I can do.
If you have a bug report or feature request for VirtualDubMod, be sure to read the rules first.
We give 100% of your donations to the Open Source community
Belgabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2003, 18:19   #8  |  Link
Suiryc

Quote:
As already mentioned VirtualDubMod is derived from VirtualDub. So both programs share the same core (GUI, stream, and dubbing systems). This core was unfortunately meant to deal with AVI (and e.g. only CBR audio). Starting with version 1.5.0 Avery Lee rewrote great parts of the code to make it cleaner, more efficient and less bug-prone. He made those changes keeping in mind that some people (like us) made mods of VirtualDub (he tried to make changes that still let us, sometimes more easily than in the past, mod it). And we all thanks him for that.

However the main code is still meant to deal with AVI (and CBR audio ), so in some parts of the core we had to add some extensions (in other words hacks ) : e.g. the stream and dubbing systems has been extended a bit to support more than one audio stream when muxing, and also to support VBR data.

Each time a new version is released we download the source code and merge the changes (from the previous version) in our code.
This is done by diffing the files in 3 folders : the previous version of VirtualDub, the new version of VirtualDub, and our own code.
This work has to be done manually because some modifications between 2 versions of VirtualDub can have been done in a file that we already modded (so we can't use any program to apply automatically the changes without risking to break our code).
If the changes belong to a part of the code we didn't modified, then all is fine we can copy and paste it in our code. However if the change belong to a part we already modified, then we have to merge it and adapt it to the our mods (which is sometimes difficult since the mods can have effects in other parts of the code).

Just to give you an idea of how difficult it can be, I will take as exemple the 2 latest versions we released (1.5.4.1 and 1.5.10.1).
The most difficult part in those versions (for us to merge) was the changes Avery Lee made in version 1.5.4 and 1.5.5 of VirtualDub.
For each version he mainly changed 80-95% of the code in 4-5 files representing more than 5000 lines of code.
All would have been fine if we already hadn't modified ourselves 80-95% too of the very same code for VirtualDubMod.
So we had to merge manually all this mess. For each merging it actually took me more than 24 hours of work (without break - cumulated time) to do this merging. No need to mention you better know what you are doing (i.e. understand what changes were made, how they affect VirtualDub behaviour, and so how we would have to apply them in VirtualDubMod to get the same behaviour without breaking our mods), and don't rush unless you wanna break the whole thing. And once the merging is done you need to test a bit to be sure you didn't left stupid bugs ...

@ikarus
For your dream it ma also be a good idea to mention it on a VirtualDub forum Avery Lee sometimes visit. Other people may benefit from what you ask.
Suiryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2003, 01:30   #9  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

Old 6th December 2003, 09:16   #10  |  Link
HarryM

Capture mode is very unstable against to v1.4.13.
I newest version capturing crashing, in v1.4.13 all O.K.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2003, 12:26   #11  |  Link
stax76

great explanation
Old 6th December 2003, 14:08   #12  |  Link
K-Dash
nooblar

Thanks for your good work.
K-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2003, 14:19   #13  |  Link
erratic

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryM
Capture mode is very unstable against to v1.4.13.
I newest version capturing crashing, in v1.4.13 all O.K.
Same problem here. As soon as I start capturing with 1.5.10.1 I get this error message:

Access Violation in capture routine.

VirtualDub has intercepted a crash condition in one of its routines. You should save any remaining data and exit VirtualDub immedialtely. If you are running Windows 95/98, you should also reboot afterward.

VDubMod 1.5.4.1 captures just fine. I have an ATI AIW 8500DV card, which I have to initialise first with a WDM capture app (I use VVCR for that). After that I can capture with VDMod 1.5.4.1 but not with 1.5.10.1.
erratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2003, 14:43   #14  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

When I load a video and use ALT-Tab to change to a different application, VirtualDubMod closes, but doesn't produce a crashdump or anything. If I play the video for a second or so before using ALT-Tab, it won't crash, even if I open another file in it.

Also, dragging a file into a newly opened VirtualDubMod window also kills the application.

np: Kid606 - Who Wah Kill Sound (Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You)
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2003, 16:27   #15  |  Link
HarryM

Quote:
Originally posted by erratic
Same problem here. As soon as I start capturing with 1.5.10.1 I get this error message:

Access Violation in capture routine.

VirtualDub has intercepted a crash condition in one of its routines. You should save any remaining data and exit VirtualDub immedialtely. If you are running Windows 95/98, you should also reboot afterward.

VDubMod 1.5.4.1 captures just fine. I have an ATI AIW 8500DV card, which I have to initialise first with a WDM capture app (I use VVCR for that). After that I can capture with VDMod 1.5.4.1 but not with 1.5.10.1.
I have totally similar problem with capture mode (see above).
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2003, 19:14   #16  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Re: [VirtualDubMod] 1.5.10.1 released

Quote:
Originally posted by Suiryc
Code:
[VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1]
- Copied VirtualDub 1.5.5 code to fix the focus stealing issues with the
  "Dubbing Status" window. Also now this window remains hidden when 
  using the /s commandline option.
Actually, I quite liked the status video being visible while VirtualDubMod does it's work; could you please make this new behaviour an option? If the main window would be minimized if started with /s that'd be more useful, as it's just a big window that doesn't do anything anyway while VirtualDubMod is working, and if it's minimized, it'll at least show the progress on the taskbar...

np: Monolake - Tetris (Momentum)
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2003, 19:11   #17  |  Link
North2Polaris

Quote:
Originally posted by erratic
I have an ATI AIW 8500DV card, which I have to initialise first with a WDM capture app (I use VVCR for that). After that I can capture with VDMod 1.5.4.1 but not with 1.5.10.1.
@erratic

How do you "initialize first" with a WDM capture app like VVCR?

Thanks.
North2Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2003, 19:17   #18  |  Link
erratic

Just run VVCR (or another DirectShow/WDM capture app) and then close it again. That's all. VirtualDubMod (1.5.4.1) should now work too (no problem with my AIW 8500DV anyway).
erratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2003, 03:45   #19  |  Link
hoola

i am getting the same access violation crash error as stated above. this occurs when i try to capture, going back to previous version untill fixed.. thanks

running winxp pro sp1 and all pre sp2 hotfixes
tvwonder ve capture card / btwincap drivers

Last edited by hoola; 8th December 2003 at 03:49.
hoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2003, 11:46   #20  |  Link
dimitrius
Latest neuron count: 863

well, this is nice build.

I like the new menu setup while encoding (having 2 menus instead of 1 two-column). I think I might have noticed a bug:

When I open a video (any) at the bottom of the window I see the usual tick marks (in my case it's almost always a line since I open 90min+ movies) which is normal, if I cover this window fully with another window, then switch back to vdubmod window, the line dissapears and only two ticks remain (at the start and the end). It doesn't seem to redraw. I haven't tried it in VDUB so I can't say whos code has this problem. I have only used normal "Frames" tickmarks. This happens only after opening a video.

Another thing that's been there for ages I think is that neither vdub nor vdubmod seem to save options like vertical display (which I often use)

Does anyone actually use RealTime Profiler? or does anyone change dynamic compilation options? To me they seem to be superfluous options. Just a thought...

edit:
em, just read "Free Pies" thread, when I say "I think I might have noticed a bug" I mean 'I think I might have noticed a "a potential problem"'

Last edited by dimitrius; 8th December 2003 at 12:05.
dimitrius is offline   Reply With Quote