Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 10th December 2018, 21:35   #81  |  Link
SpasV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
This is a plugin with functions made to work on HDR videos, but can also eventualy work to do some color conversions.

Note: ConvertXYZ_Scale_HDRtoSDR is a simple scalar function, i've made just to see what result it produces. Don't have expectations on this plugin, but if by luck it works for you...
Hi, I think you have succeeded. Great.
I haven't tried your work. I have some interest in programming video filters and I could do some work for you if you need.

Actually, I'm interesting in formal evaluating of color space transformations. In particularly, I've tried a simple transformation - truncating the color codes' two LSB, maybe analogous to ConvertXYZ_Scale_HDRtoSDR with this script:
Code:
DGSource("F:\Gladiator-2160p\Gladiator.hevc.dgi",i420=true,fulldepth=true)
z_ConvertFormat(width=1920,height=1080,pixel_type="YV12",dither_type="none"
to get an 2160p HDR (10-bit color) BluRay video conveted to 1080p SDR (8-bit) color retaining the Rec.2020/PQ color space.
Using Sony Catalyst Browse I've seen
Source: Rec.2020/PQ, Working Rec.709, Preview: Rec.709.
and video in the working space visually undistinguished from the source with waveform under 67 %.

So, I'm interested in programming a waveform/histogram generating Avisynth function.
Old 1st June 2019, 12:03   #82  |  Link
jpsdr

New version, see first post.
Old 7th June 2019, 11:44   #83  |  Link
jpsdr

New version, see first post.
Old 16th August 2019, 00:39   #84  |  Link
StvG

Conversion 2020->709:
Code:
ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1).ConvertXYZtoYUV(Color=2, pColor=1, OutputMode=2)
Code:
ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1).ConvertXYZtoYUV(Color=2, pColor=2, OutputMode=2)
Both conversions give identical result. Is it expected? Is it not wrong for the pColor=2 variant? avsresize gives different results - https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...71#post1881971

Last edited by StvG; 16th August 2019 at 00:54.
StvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 22:06   #85  |  Link
jpsdr

pColor and also pRx,pRy,pGx,pGy,pBx,pBy,pWx,pWy are used only to compute the Min/Max values of XYZ, which are not a stable [0,1] in all situations like RGB, but are White Point and R,G,B point chromaticity dependent.

With this, with integer format, 16 bit for exemple, i can affect [0]=Min(X,Y,Z) [65535]=Max(X,Y,Z) in the inputs. These previous parameters have no effect in float format. The parameter is here for optimal theorical performance, but i don't know if it will produce real visible effect between the standard BT. It will if you use different White Point (his has the biggest effect), or realy very different R,G,B point.

Roughly, range is Y [0,1.00], X[0,0.96], Z[0,1.10]. Didn't check more decimal, but maybe for BT.709 max Z is 1.1001 and for BT.2020, max Z is 1.002. I think it's something like that, realy no more.
Well, the previous parameters are here to be sure you have input proper range value used in integer mode.

And again, of course, no effect in float mode because no needs.

Described also in the Warning page 3 of ColorConversion.pdf document i've provided within the binaries package.

Last edited by jpsdr; 16th August 2019 at 22:28.
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 00:56   #86  |  Link
hello_hello

jpsdr,
I'm still not clear as to why I'm getting such bizarre results for XYZ conversions here. Am I doing something wrong?

I read your reply in the other thread and looked at the PDF, and I can see rec.601_525 line and rec.601_625 line are different, but the question I'm trying to get a simple answer to is... why do other programs such as ColorMatrix & DitherTools only have/require one version of rec.601?
I assume my understanding is wrong, but I thought once analogue PAL and NTSC are converted to digital, the colorimetry is the same, and therefore there's only one flavour of rec.601 required for colorimetry conversions. When I play an NTSC DVD encode, is the same colorimetry being used by MPC-HC to convert to RGB on playback as for a PAL DVD encode?

StvG said in the other thread I should be using rec.601_625 to convert between HD and SD etc in digital-land, and I don't doubt him, but once again I'm just after a simple explanation as to why.

Cheers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 17th August 2019 at 01:10.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 02:14   #87  |  Link
jpsdr

Neither my dictionnary, google trad or me understand "borked"...

There is no XYZ colorspace in avisynth, so, it's tagged RGB. So, the system (avs, Windows, Video card drivers, monitor) diplays (linear) XYZ data, thinking it's non-linear RGB. Not so suprise result is odd... But basicaly, you'll see darker colors than original. Effect even worse (a lot darker) with HDR data.
If you haven't, read the pdf document i've put with the filter, i've tried to explain how things work (at least, what i've understood).
Maybe it will help you.

I've put the two rec.601 because there was two in the spec, so, i made them both avaible.
After, colorimetry is not realy my best field, so, i would suggest you to follow StvG advice.

After, i'm not sure there is realy need to go through XYZ (neither Linear RGB) for 601 <-> 709. Colorimetry parameters are almost identical, this is why people always do the convertion staying in the standard non-linear space, so, just by a simple matrix translation.
After, if you want perfect accuracy...

For 2020 <-> 709/601, you need to go through XYZ, because colorimetry parameters are different, and so it's only through XYZ that you can do it. Only Linear RGB is not enough and will produce improper results. Described in R-REC-BT.2087-0-201510-I!!PDF-E.

So, it's 3 am for me, time to bed...
Old 17th August 2019, 03:24   #88  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post

I read your reply in the other thread and looked at the PDF, and I can see rec.601_525 line and rec.601_625 line are different, but the question I'm trying to get a simple answer to is... why do other programs such as ColorMatrix & DitherTools only have/require one version of rec.601?
I assume my understanding is wrong, but I thought once analogue PAL and NTSC are converted to digital, the colorimetry is the same, and therefore there's only one flavour of rec.601 required for colorimetry conversions. When I play an NTSC DVD encode, is the same colorimetry being used by MPC-HC to convert to RGB on playback as for a PAL DVD encode?

StvG said in the other thread I should be using rec.601_625 to convert between HD and SD etc in digital-land, and I don't doubt him, but once again I'm just after a simple explanation as to why.

Cheers.

Simple answer is convention. It's the way everyone does it

1) Matrix for bt470bg (pal, or 601-6_625), smpte170m (ntsc, or 601-6_525) are the same, 709 different
2) Transfer for bt470bg, smpte170m, and 709 are the same
3) Primaries are different for all 3, but look at footnote 2

Code:
It is recognized that a practice is now sometimes used by which, when programs produced in HDTV are
release in SDTV, their HDTV pixel map is re-mapped onto the SDTV pixel map without changing the
colorimetry of the original program.
In practice, only matrix is usually accounted for, not primaries. You see this in professional HD to SD conversions, broadcast NLE's too . Technically you should adjust for the primaries too, but it's rarely done.

ie. So technically it's a HD => SD conversion with uncorrected 709 primaries .

But you can do whatever you want - you control matrix, transfer, or primaries for source/destination with tools like zimg/zlib (resize in vapoursynth, avsresize in avisynth)

dither tools' "newer brother" fron the same author, the vapoursynth's fmtc also give you control over these
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 04:03   #89  |  Link
hello_hello

poisondeathray,
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I'm being thick, but I'm still not 100% clear on this.

Even the section you quoted only refers to HD and SD colorimetry, implying SD is a single colorimetry.
The pdf appears to me to explain the method for converting analogue to digital. Below figure 2.6 it says:

Chromaticity coordinates specified are those currently used by 625-line and 525-line conventional
systems.

I doubt any of us are using 625 or 525 line displays any more, and it seems the colorimetry co-ordinates convert "from" those systems. Even if they're different in analogue form, it seems bizarre to use two formulas to convert them to different digital SD colorimetries rather than them ending up the same. If they're not intended to convert to the same colorimetry, why use different formulas?

I must be missing the obvious here, and I won't get a chance till tomorrow, but I'll do some more reading to see if I can work out what I'm missing. In the mean time though, if there's two rec.601 colorimetries in digital form, which one do programs with only a single rec.601 option normally use?

Cheers.

PS. I've had the table in the ColorMatrix help file in my head, which is one reason I'm confused about it now. To me it implies there's only a single rec.601 in digital form but maybe I've been mis-interpreting it.

Quote:
This is a list of all possibilities according to the MPEG-2 specs and DGDecode.
0 forbidden
1 ITU-R BT.709
2 Unspecified Video (unknown)
3 reserved
4 FCC
5 ITU-R BT.470-2 (exactly the same as ITU-R BT.601)
6 SMPTE 170M (exactly the same as ITU-R BT.601)
7 SMPTE 240M
8-255 reserved

Last edited by hello_hello; 17th August 2019 at 04:11.
Old 17th August 2019, 04:40   #90  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:

Even the section you quoted only refers to HD and SD colorimetry, implying SD is a single colorimetry.
The pdf appears to me to explain the method for converting analogue to digital. Below figure 2.6 it says:

Chromaticity coordinates specified are those currently used by 625-line and 525-line conventional
systems.

I doubt any of us are using 625 or 525 line displays any more, and it seems the colorimetry co-ordinates convert "from" those systems. Even if they're different in analogue form, it seems bizarre to use two formulas to convert them to different digital SD colorimetries rather than them ending up the same. If they're not intended to convert to the same colorimetry, why use different formulas?

There is a 625 and 525 chart. Notice their primaries for Red, Green, Blue are different

As mentioned earlier, in practice, the primaries are not adjusted for HD to SD conversion. You ignore it

You need to define matrix, transfer , primaries when converting from something to another. Input and output. Thats 6 values in and out. It becomes more important when you have other formats used in production like linear exr , then the transfer becomes important . The HD <=> SD case is covered by by 1,2,3 in my post above. 1) matrix is used 2) Transfer is cancelled out 3) primaries are usually ignored

Quote:
I must be missing the obvious here, and I won't get a chance till tomorrow, but I'll do some more reading to see if I can work out what I'm missing. In the mean time though, if there's two rec.601 colorimetries in digital form, which one do programs with only a single rec.601 option normally use?
Use in what way ?

If you mean "primaries" it's usually unspecified or ignored. But some do specify it in metadata, even if it's actually ignored in conversions. (and you can verify these things , since you have control over matrix, transfer and primaries with vapoursynth resize or fmtc, or avsresize in avisynth)

The way you test it, is take known colors and values such as colorbars, run it through your HD conversions to SD (or SD to HD if you want)

You can specify the matrix/transfer/primaries in/out .

Keep in mind - the way you or whatever program converts back to RGB is important if you are "viewing" it

Keep in mind that sometimes there are conversions done in the GPU, sometimes in the renderer

You can do this for different programs, editors, media players to check behaviour

It takes alot of time to do these tests, but I did this a while back and my findings were primaries are mostly ignored in most programs. If you corrected for primaries (709 primaries in, 601-6_625 or 601-6_525 out) the conversion looked different than the known values you started out with in HD .

The exception is vapoursynth. It reads metadata, and that metadata affects conversions. Often, you have to override the "props" or various properties if you want it to behave like other programs, very tricky if you forget (e.g. something might be flagged interlaced, though progressive content, like a PAL DVD, but vapoursynth will treat it interlaced for all operations unless you override the props)

Quote:
PS. I've had the table in the ColorMatrix help file in my head, which is one reason I'm confused about it now. To me it implies there's only a single rec.601 in digital form but maybe I've been mis-interpreting it.

That Colormatrix table you posted only specifies matrix, not the transfer or primaries.

The matrix values for 601-6_525 and 601-6_625 end up being the same - KR = 0.299; KB = 0.114 . But 709 is different. That's why we use matrix=blah when doing those conversions HD<=>SD conversions . But no matrix conversion between "PAL" and "NTSC" because they are the same

Better tables are in the more modern Rec. ITU-T H.265 standards document, which include 2020 and a bunch others along with their values and equations

E3 Color Primaries
E4 Transfer Characteristics
E5 Matrix Coefficients

Common tools like popular media players, only use matrix when converting back to RGB for display. The primaries are are not accounted for. You will get different colors than expected if you start adjusting primaries in that HD to SD or SD to HD case. Same with video editors and other tools

Last edited by poisondeathray; 17th August 2019 at 05:35.
Old 18th August 2019, 20:46   #91  |  Link
hello_hello

poisondeathray,
Thanks for the info. I also did some more reading and I think I'm now closer to an understanding.

First we have this table showing the difference between NTSC and PAL color primaries (from Wikipedia).

Code:
RGB color space parameters for Rec. 601 Color space 	White point (D65) 	Primary color
xW 	yW 	xR 	yR 	xG 	yG 	xB 	yB
625 line 	0.3127 	0.3290 	0.640 	0.330 	0.290 	0.600 	0.150 	0.060
525 line 	0.3127 	0.3290 	0.630 	0.340 	0.310 	0.595 	0.155 	0.070
Which I compared with the pic below showing how they correspond to RGB. Now I properly understand what those numbers mean.
Red and blue for NTSC and PAL are so close they can probably be considered the same, while green is a little different. For Rec.709 the red and blue primaries are exactly the same as 625 line Rec.601, while green is roughly halfway between the two Rec.601 versions.

https://www.image-engineering.de/con...6/xy-Locus.jpg

Maybe now I understand why I've seen PAL DVDs that appear to have a slight green tinge. I assume they were encoded using NTSC primaries, or something....
I posted an example of that during a discussion quite a while back.

Transfer Characteristics = gamma, which is the same for rec.601 and rec.709.

Color Matrix is the formula for converting YUV back to RGB (or more correctly converting YCbCr to RGB).
From what I understand now, there's only one formula for each, but there's constant(s) in each formula that are different for 525 line, 625 line (and rec.709) to account for the different primaries. If the wrong "constants" are used you don't convert back to exactly the same RGB you started with. Is that a correct assumption?

So the formula for converting between the rec.601 and rec.709 matrices is a standard formula used by most programs, that should take into account the different "constants" for red, blue and green, but doesn't because that makes stuff-all difference compared to using the wrong matrix, and I assume in many cases the original RGB primaries might be unknown anyway. I think I finally understand what "ignoring the primaries" means....

I assume HDRTools does account for those primaries... hence the two flavours of rec.601.... so to be technically accurate, assuming I'm encoding with x264 for example, if I converted HD to SD using the rec.601_625 formula, I should specify bt470bg for the color primaries and for the color matrix (rather than rec.709 for primaries and bt470bg for matrix), and if I'm upscaling from PAL to HD it'd be bt709 for the primaries and matrix (rather than bt470bg and rec.709)? Not that I've bothered setting the color primaries for a long time, just the matrix.

How am I doing?

Thanks again!

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th August 2019 at 21:11.
Old 18th August 2019, 21:32   #92  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Neither my dictionnary, google trad or me understand "borked"...

There is no XYZ colorspace in avisynth, so, it's tagged RGB. So, the system (avs, Windows, Video card drivers, monitor) diplays (linear) XYZ data, thinking it's non-linear RGB. Not so suprise result is odd... But basicaly, you'll see darker colors than original. Effect even worse (a lot darker) with HDR data.
If you haven't, read the pdf document i've put with the filter, i've tried to explain how things work (at least, what i've understood).
Maybe it will help you.
"Borked" effectively means "broken". It's probably slang.
These definitions possibly come across as being somewhat insulting, but that definitely wasn't my intention.

What I'm failing to understand (I seem to be doing a bit of that lately) is how the intermittent XYZ colorspace matters when I shouldn't be seeing it. The screenshots were taken from the output of a script using this (2020 to 601).

ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1).ConvertXYZtoYUV(Color=3, pColor=1, OutputMode=2)

Shouldn't I be seeing a fairly similar result to this (the expected result)?

ConvertYUVtoLinearRGB(Color=1).ConvertLinearRGBtoYUV(Color=3, OutputMode=2)

Thanks.

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th August 2019 at 21:44.
Old 19th August 2019, 00:10   #93  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:

First we have this table showing the difference between NTSC and PAL color primaries (from Wikipedia).
A quick glance and it appears those values are different than the official specs, not sure what's up with that . I think the ones in wikipedia are older, I think it was revised again later. I'd probably trust the official ITU document - that's what zimg/zlib uses and I'm pretty sure jpsdr goes by it too. Anyways, the point is they have different primaries.

Quote:
Color Matrix is the formula for converting YUV back to RGB (or more correctly converting YCbCr to RGB).
From what I understand now, there's only one formula for each, but there's constant(s) in each formula that are different for 525 line, 625 line (and rec.709) to account for the different primaries. If the wrong "constants" are used you don't convert back to exactly the same RGB you started with. Is that a correct assumption?

So the formula for converting between the rec.601 and rec.709 matrices is a standard formula used by most programs, that should take into account the different "constants" for red, blue and green, but doesn't because that makes stuff-all difference compared to using the wrong matrix, and I assume in many cases the original RGB primaries might be unknown anyway. I think I finally understand what "ignoring the primaries" means....
Yes, if you use the wrong assumption or value you get different colors than expected. Remember - 6 values total - for matrix, transfer, primaries. Input and output . Transfer cancels out for both 601(525 and 625) and 709 . Primaries are usually ignored for the 709/601 case (input and output are calculated as "unspecified" so there is no net effect of primaries) . So the only thing that affects the conversion is matrix in most software for the 709/601 case

Quote:
I assume HDRTools does account for those primaries... hence the two flavours of rec.601.... so to be technically accurate, assuming I'm encoding with x264 for example, if I converted HD to SD using the rec.601_625 formula, I should specify bt470bg for the color primaries and for the color matrix (rather than rec.709 for primaries and bt470bg for matrix), and if I'm upscaling from PAL to HD it'd be bt709 for the primaries and matrix (rather than bt470bg and rec.709)? Not that I've bothered setting the color primaries for a long time, just the matrix.
I'm not sure what it does; I haven't really used it much. But if it accounts for the primaries difference (ie. primaries_input was 709, primaries_output is 601_625) - you'll usually get shifted colors in typical programs, because when they convert back to RGB for display, they usually only use the matrix the way most people have programs configured.

Note that in x264, those --colorprim xxx --transfer xxx --colormatrix xxx switches are just VUI metadata. They don't actually do anything. It's up to the other recieving software how it's handled . Some pay attention to that metadata. e.g vapoursynth. So if you do that actual primaries adjustment, and flag it accordingly, you end up getting the expected colors.
Old 19th August 2019, 06:40   #94  |  Link
StvG

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
A quick glance and it appears those values are different than the official specs, not sure what's up with that . I think the ones in wikipedia are older, I think it was revised again later. I'd probably trust the official ITU document - that's what zimg/zlib uses and I'm pretty sure jpsdr goes by it too. Anyways, the point is they have different primaries.
zimg uses those values from wikipedia - https://github.com/sekrit-twc/zimg/b...ce_param.h#L28 REC_470_BG (625 lines) and SMPTE_C (525 lines/170m/240m).

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray
I'm not sure what it does; I haven't really used it much. But if it accounts for the primaries difference (ie. primaries_input was 709, primaries_output is 601_625) - you'll usually get shifted colors in typical programs, because when they convert back to RGB for display, they usually only use the matrix the way most people have programs configured.
It seems that behavior is only when XYZ is used for 709<->601 (or 2020)? Using LinearRGB for those conversions doesn't touch primaries?

Last edited by StvG; 19th August 2019 at 07:03.
StvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2019, 09:29   #95  |  Link
jpsdr

Quote:
ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1).ConvertXYZtoYUV(Color=3, pColor=1, OutputMode=2)
Shouldn't I be seeing a fairly similar result to this (the expected result)?
ConvertYUVtoLinearRGB(Color=1).ConvertLinearRGBtoYUV(Color=3, OutputMode=2)
Thanks.
No, because 2020 has significant primary colors differences than 709/601.
So, when going through XYZ, you adjust primary colors, you don't when going only through linear RGB, as linear RGB integrate the primary colors of the sensor. And primary colors are different enough to produce a noticeable different result.

According R-REC-BT.2087 the proper way is through XYZ for 2020 <-> 709.

As i describe in my pdf doc, you have for SDR :
[Scene] => [Camera sensor] => [Linear RGB] -> (Gama or OETF) -> [Non Linear RGB] -> (matrix) -> [YCbCr]

The primary colors are in the [Camera sensor], so, it's only on this step that 525/625 lines has effect, not in the (matrix).
Is my PDF provided with the tools so unclear ? I hoped it was clear enough to explain things, but unfortunately it seems not...

(R,G,B) 2020 : (0.708,0.292) (0.170,0.797) (0.131,0.046)
(R,G,B) 709 : (0.640,0.330) (0.300,0.600) (0.150,0.060)
(R,G,B) 601/625 : (0.640,0.330) (0.290,0.600) (0.150,0.060)
(R,G,B) 601/525 : (0.640,0.330) (0.310,0.595) (0.155,0.070)

Values for 709/601 even if not identicals, are close enough to assume that only doing the [Non Linear RGB] <-> (matrix) <-> [YCbCr] is enough.
OETF is identical for 2020 and 709, so, going to Linear RGB, or staying at non-linear RGB will produce the same result.

Last edited by jpsdr; 19th August 2019 at 09:53.
Old 19th August 2019, 11:35   #96  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Is my PDF provided with the tools so unclear ? I hoped it was clear enough to explain things, but unfortunately it seems not...
I read the pdf and took some of it in, but ultimately I copied and pasted the example in your help file and expected the result to be what the help file said it'd be.

LOL. I used the PHP button instead of the Code button, but why not... it looks a bit pretty.

PHP Code:
Some example use
================

BT.2020 to BT.709 conversion, do the following:
ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1)
ConvertXYZtoYUV(pColor=1
Had this been the example, I wouldn't have wandered so far off the main path (I assume it's correct given it appears to produce the same result as a DitherTools 2020 to 709 conversion).

PHP Code:
ConvertToYV24()
ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1Rx=0.708,Ry=0.292,Gx=0.170,Gy=0.797,Bx=0.131,By=0.046,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertXYZtoYUV(pColor=1Rx=0.708,Ry=0.292,Gx=0.170,Gy=0.797,Bx=0.131,By=0.046,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertToYV12() 
Intuitively, and aided by the help file example, the Color and pColor options appear to be an automatic way of specifying the correct primaries, and to be honest, the one thing that's allowing me to not feel like a complete idiot just yet, is this topic has been discussed in two threads over several days now and I've posted examples in both, and so far nobody else has said "no, you do it like this". That's a lot of typing every time you want to do a rec.2020 conversion.

Now back to reading Mr. Help File again to see if I can discover what "color mode of the data" means as I'm not clear on that now.
Does "color mode of the data" mean "matrix"?

PHP Code:
**      ConvertYUVtoLinearRGB       **

Color -

Set the color mode of the data.

0BT2100
BT2020
BT709
BT601_525
BT601_625 
Oh well, at least I appear to be making some progress now.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by hello_hello; 19th August 2019 at 11:51.
Old 19th August 2019, 11:50   #97  |  Link
jpsdr

Something is wrong here :
Code:
ConvertToYV24()
ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1, Rx=0.708,Ry=0.292,Gx=0.170,Gy=0.797,Bx=0.131,By=0.046,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertXYZtoYUV(pColor=1, Rx=0.708,Ry=0.292,Gx=0.170,Gy=0.797,Bx=0.131,By=0.046,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertToYV12()
You put the exact same colorimetry in both, meaning for the XYZ to Linear convertion in ConvertXYZtoYUV, meaning you've said : Color is 709 (default value 2 of Color), but colorimetry parameters are those of 2020.
I think it will produce the same result as
Code:
ConvertYUVtoLinearRGB(Color=1).ConvertLinearRGBtoYUV()
pColor is juste used to define the Min/Max(ZYZ) value in 8-16 bits modes (warning page 3 of pdf). It has no other effect.
I think i'll have to update the doc of the plugin, because it's clearly obvious that i didn't explain properly the effect of the "p"(previous) parameters, and people misunderstand the purpose of it.

Last edited by jpsdr; 19th August 2019 at 11:58.
Old 19th August 2019, 12:21   #98  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Something is wrong here :
Code:
ConvertToYV24()
ConvertYUVtoXYZ(Color=1, Rx=0.708,Ry=0.292,Gx=0.170,Gy=0.797,Bx=0.131,By=0.046,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertXYZtoYUV(pColor=1, Rx=0.708,Ry=0.292,Gx=0.170,Gy=0.797,Bx=0.131,By=0.046,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertToYV12()
You put the exact same colorimetry in both, meaning for the XYZ to Linear convertion in ConvertXYZtoYUV, meaning you've said : Color is 709 (default value 2 of Color), but colorimetry parameters are those of 2020.
Sorry, I did a silly. I'll try again and report back.
Old 19th August 2019, 13:16   #99  |  Link
hello_hello

Okay... time to accept that fact I'm just too stupid to use this program.....
I don't mind being an idiot. It's just frustrating when you're smart enough to know you're idiot. I'm off to drink alcohol until I'm too stupid to know...

This was my previous silly. Is it some sort of mathematical co-incidence it produces the same result as a DitherTools rec.2020 to 709 conversion (which is why I thought I finally had it right)?

Silly
ConvertToYV24()
ConvertToYV12()

2020 - 601

ConvertToYV24()
Dither_convert_yuv_to_rgb(matrix="2020", slice=false)
Dither_convert_rgb_to_yuv(matrix="601", output="YV12")
ConvertToYV12()

ConvertToYV24()
ConvertXYZtoYUV(Color=4, pColor=1, Rx=0.640,Ry=0.330,Gx=0.290,Gy=0.600,Bx=0.150,By=0.060,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertToYV12()

2020-709

ConvertToYV24()
Dither_convert_yuv_to_rgb(matrix="2020", slice=false)
Dither_convert_rgb_to_yuv(matrix="709", output="YV12")
ConvertToYV12()

ConvertToYV24()
ConvertXYZtoYUV(Color=2, pColor=1, Rx=0.640,Ry=0.330,Gx=0.300,Gy=0.600,Bx=0.150,By=0.060,Wx=0.3127,Wy=0.3290)
ConvertToYV12()

Old 19th August 2019, 14:03   #100  |  Link
jpsdr

No needs to set the colorimetry parameters if it's for setting the same value that are in the according rec.
As you can see, "silly" provide the same result than dither.
It means that dither is only doing a matrix convertion, and doesn't change the colorimetry parameters.
As they, in final, do only simple matrix convertion, these 3 should produce the same result (pinterf added rec2020 recently) :
"silly"
Code:
ConvertToRGB(matrix="Rec2020")
ConvertToYV12(matrix="Rec709")
Code:
ConvertYUVToLinearRGB(Color=1)
ConvertLinearRGBToYUV()
I don't know dither_tools, but it seems it's doing only matrix convertion. Going through XYZ is doing also Colorimetry convertion.
I don't see any issue or surprise with these results.
What is exactly your issue ?
If it's difference between dither and ConvertXYZ, it's expected, as dither is only doing matrix convertion.

Last edited by jpsdr; 19th August 2019 at 14:06.