Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 20th May 2018, 19:15   #1441  |  Link
VfBFan

After the loading of a .sup-file with BDSup2Sub++ 1.0.3 some subtitles are duplicated. The time stamp shows:
Code:
subtitle 10:
start 01:31:41.663
  end 01:31:43.665

subtitle 11:
start 01:31:43.665
  end 01:31:45.041
The text of subtitle 10 and 11 are identical. Subtitles 10 and 11 should be displayed as a single subtitle.
The same file opened with Subtitle Edit 3.5.6 doesn't show this behaviour.

https://www.file-upload.net/download...erman.sup.html
VfBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 19:58   #1442  |  Link
amichaelt

Thanks I’ll look into it.
Old 22nd May 2018, 22:31   #1443  |  Link
amichaelt

Thanks for reporting that. I've got a fix in testing that I aped from SubtitleEdit that had to fix the exact same issue.

Also any other samples that cause problematic behavior, please report them here: https://github.com/amichaeltm/BDSup2SubPlusPlus/issues
Old 27th June 2018, 14:39   #1444  |  Link
mood

@amichaelt

it is possible add to the "bdsup2sub++.ini" to save the configuration of the exported language.

I have to change the language for each export subtitle. it would be nice if I could choose the default export language.
mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 17:02   #1445  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mood View Post
@amichaelt

it is possible add to the "bdsup2sub++.ini" to save the configuration of the exported language.

I have to change the language for each export subtitle. it would be nice if I could choose the default export language.
Yeah, should be no problem. I'll add it to the list.

Sorry for the delays all on getting this finished up, but I am still working on it I promise. Just been busy a lot when I get home.
Old 27th June 2018, 19:37   #1446  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

No worry amichaelt, we can wait. You work on it and that is what counts.

Edit: I opened this issue on github

Last edited by hubblec4; 27th June 2018 at 19:41.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:53   #1447  |  Link
haggis999

BDSup2Sub out of bounds error

I rip all my Blu-rays using MakeMKV, but my Oppo 105 player doesn't support PGS subtitles in MKV files. My wife is hard of hearing, so subtitles are important. For several years, my solution has been to extract the PGS subtitles using MKVExtract. The resulting SUP files are then converted to SUB and IDX files, using BDSup2Sub 5.1.2. The final stage is to use MKVToolNix to merge these new subtitle files into the original MKV. The resulting VOB subtitles are then readable by my Oppo.

For the first time, I have hit a problem with the BDSup2Sub part of this process. I have just bought a Blu-ray version of the classic film 'Some Like it Hot' and when I try to export the SUB & IDX files from BDSup2Sub, it eventually fails with the following error.
  • ERROR: Offset 36700161 out of bounds for file \\BONZONAS\Videos\Movies\Some Like It Hot (BD)\Some Like It Hot BD_track5_eng.sup
Is there anything in BDSup2Sub's conversion options that might fix this error?

UPDATE: I've just found a more recent beta version of BSSup2Sub (BDSup2Sub++1.0.2). Running that version has fixed my problem!

Last edited by haggis999; 2nd July 2018 at 15:06.
haggis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 18:47   #1448  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mood View Post
@amichaelt

So the way I'm implementing this is as follows:

1) If the subtitle file has a language defined the exported language will be set to that.
2) If the subtitle file does not have a language defined the ini file will be queried to determine the language to use as the export language.

Sound acceptable?

Edit to add:
Just as a tip, if you add the language name to a SUP file, the program will use that to set the language upon export. For example if the file name:

False_positives_of_multiple_ODS.sup was changed to False_positives_of_multiple_ODS.french.sup then if you were to export this as a SUB/IDX then french would be auto-selected for you.

Last edited by amichaelt; 9th July 2018 at 18:59.
Old 9th July 2018, 19:39   #1449  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amichaelt View Post
Edit to add:
Just as a tip, if you add the language name to a SUP file, the program will use that to set the language upon export. For example if the file name:

False_positives_of_multiple_ODS.sup was changed to False_positives_of_multiple_ODS.french.sup then if you were to export this as a SUB/IDX then french would be auto-selected for you.
IIRC, that worked well, including with a 2 or 3-letter language code, like False_positives_of_multiple_ODS.fr.sup
Is it still the case, or is it necessary to include the full language name in English ("french" in your example)?
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 09:26   #1450  |  Link
staina

Pray for addition support for 4k UltraHD Bluray. Thank you Standa
staina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 10:29   #1451  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

AFAIK, the subtitles for UHD movies are identical to the subtitles for Full-HD (2K). It is the responsibility of the player to upscale them to 4K at playback time.

However, me too, I would like support for larger subtitles, not for UHD, but for 3D in Full-SBS or Full-T&B format.
Old 16th December 2018, 10:27   #1452  |  Link
jpsdr

What is the actual status of developement ?
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:02   #1453  |  Link
asarian

The whole program (4.0) doesn't sppear to be available on the server any more. Is this tool dead?!
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:55   #1454  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can download any version at VideoHelp. But the most recent version is not necessarily the best. See here.

And yes, the development has stopped, although from time to time someone claims that he wants to continue it... and he abandons a few weeks later.
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:32   #1455  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
You can download any version at VideoHelp. But the most recent version is not necessarily the best. See here.

And yes, the development has stopped, although from time to time someone claims that he wants to continue it... and he abandons a few weeks later.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 1st February 2019, 16:00   #1456  |  Link
asarian

I just tried BDSup2Sub++, to relocate (lower) my subs. Unlike it Java predecessor, which could export to another .sup file again, BDSup2Sub++ however exports to a much smaller .sub file. I have no idea what to do with that.

EDIT: Seems core.sub.ImageFile can handle the resulting .idx files. Solved.

Last edited by asarian; 1st February 2019 at 17:01.
asarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 04:39   #1457  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyWu View Post
Because you didn't change the Output Format to SUP(BD)?

Dang, missed that one. Anyway, see above, core.sub.ImageFile could handle the .idx file just fine. But it's good to know, thanks.
Old 3rd February 2019, 01:24   #1458  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfBFan View Post
After the loading of a .sup-file with BDSup2Sub++ 1.0.3 some subtitles are duplicated. The time stamp shows:
Code:
subtitle 10:
start 01:31:41.663
  end 01:31:43.665

subtitle 11:
start 01:31:43.665
  end 01:31:45.041
The text of subtitle 10 and 11 are identical. Subtitles 10 and 11 should be displayed as a single subtitle.
The same file opened with Subtitle Edit 3.5.6 doesn't show this behaviour.

https://www.file-upload.net/download...erman.sup.html
Sadly, I got the same issue. Extracted with eac3to, my original 'Cutie Honey' Blu-ray contains 796 subs. After I lowered them all, with BDSup2Sub++ (to idx), the amount is still 796, but many subtitles (across the entire movie, around 50 times) are duplicated, shortly after appearing (with like a 0.2 sec interval inbetween).

Since the total amnount of subs remains the same, the only logical inference is that BDSup2Sub++ already messes them up (slightly) on importing them.

This is an annoying way of looking at subs, as it makes them jittery and redundant.

EDIT: Just looked closer, and yes, it's already in the imported list of subs. For instance, sub 140 and 141 are identical (very shortly following each other).

EDIT2: Just tried Subtitle Edit. It only shows 643 subs (meaning BDSup2Sub++ actually yields 153 duplicated subs, instead of my modest ~50 estimate). Unfortunately, Subtitle Edit immediately crashes when you click OK (it seems to want to OCR things).

Last edited by asarian; 3rd February 2019 at 01:48.
asarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:00   #1459  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfBFan View Post
After the loading of a .sup-file with BDSup2Sub++ 1.0.3 some subtitles are duplicated.
I have had the same problem with ++ and a specific BD (I don't remember which one). However, the Java version doesn't have that problem.

Also, note that the two versions have a CLI option to control the merging of the identical subtitles. It defines the maximum duration between two identical subtitles before they should be considered as two different subtitles. The option is -x <time_in_ms> or --merge-time <time_in_ms> and the default value is 200 ms for both versions. I don't know if that option is available in the GUI. And I don't know why that option doesn't work with BDSup2Sub++ and some specific subtitle streams.

Again, I suggest to keep the two versions of BDSup2Sbb and use the one that works best for each case.

(I have updated the list of bugs of the two versions here.)
Old 3rd February 2019, 13:20   #1460  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I have had the same problem with ++ and a specific BD (I don't remember which one). However, the Java version doesn't have that problem.

Also, note that the two versions have a CLI option to control the merging of the identical subtitles. It defines the maximum duration between two identical subtitles before they should be considered as two different subtitles. The option is -x <time_in_ms> or --merge-time <time_in_ms> and the default value is 200 ms for both versions. I don't know if that option is available in the GUI.
That's cute, but duplicate subs, in 'real life', so to speak, rarely occur to begin with (like maybe when calling out someone's name, or with other expletives -- which is also the reason, btw, why the CLI method is tricky/unreliable). More importantly, though, why have a CLI that tries and fix errors you made yourself in the first place!? BDSup2Sub++ simply shouldn't duplicate subs on import, period. Just feels like a grave bug to me.

For now, I went with the old 'just download some .SRT from the internet' route, for my Cutie Honey Blu-ray. Problem with those, of course, is that you'll spend the next hour(s) or so repairing all sorts of typos/spelling errors in them, before you can actually use those (which is why I hate OCR). So, in general, I'd rather just use the official .PGS data; and for that a program like BDSup2Sub++ is needed.

Thx for the info, though.