Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 13th October 2016, 09:27   #25001  |  Link
MrVideo

I think this drives the nail into the coffin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I have updated the first post of this thread with links to the latestd release of BD-RB (v0.43.01). Changes for this version:
Code:
- Created a new Mode: "Quick-Play Mode". This mode 
  is similar to to Movie-Only in that it removes 
  menus, etc. -- but in Quick-Play mode all
  significant playlists are kept.  The feature will
  play immediately upon insertion into the player
  but you can switch to other playlists (extras) by 
  pushing the "Menu" remote key during playback.  
  This action will cycle through all playable
  items individually.  Note: It's possible to have
  a Quick-Play that consists of only the movie when
  all other playlists are below the threshold that 
  is considered significant.
So, it looks like I am going to have to have a 2nd dummy item for the menu, in order to even have a menu.

It would really be nice to be able to have a menu, even if there is only one item in an import selection (reason explained above).
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 12:40   #25002  |  Link
worknstiff

@MrVideo; RE: It would really be nice to be able to have a menu, even if there is only one item.
You could always use CloneBD to generate a simple one item menu. But if you wanted to make one with custom backgrounds with audio, chapter's with picture icons and audio, subtitle selection screens then you can still use multiAVCHD 4.1. YES it does have a learning curve but it is really an excellent BD authoring program even though unlike BD_Rebuilder, it's not being supported anymore. I still use it occasionally to make a series disk to evenly place the same amount of episodes on each disk. I hate it when one disk has 5 episodes and the last disk has only 2 with tons of extras, lol. I think you will have to run it on Win7 though. I just use it make a 50gb disk and then use BD_Rebuilder to size it, cause it takes forever to encode.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 13:12   #25003  |  Link
varekai

I agree, MultiAVCHD is an excellent software to create your own BD-titles.
Lots of features and possibilities to make a neat menu.
Highly recommended! Really sad it's not developed anymore.
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 13:32   #25004  |  Link
MrVideo

I haven't used multiAVCHD in ages. I didn't like how it went from choice to choice and didn't allow a simple selection list like BD-RB does. It just wasn't my cup of tea. OTOH, BD-RB is really great. Sure there are some features that would be nice to have, but pretty much every program has things that users would like to have. Jdobbs has even said that he is leaning toward to making it a full BD authoring program. He is well on his way.

Not sure why multiAVCHD needs to be used to create discs with evenly spaced episode count, since BD-RB lets you do that. It is what I am using to make discs. For example, for a season one set, I controlled which episodes were on a disc by having what I want on a disc in a directory of its own, one for each of the discs. With the ability to use the font I want, I can have the text on the menu use the font that the series uses (when I can get that font).

In the case of the latest issue, I'm adding a trailer for the movie, which now makes the menu have two items. Still doesn't mean I wouldn't like the ability to create single item menus, it doesn't.
Old 13th October 2016, 13:53   #25005  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Jdobbs has even said that he is leaning toward to making it a full BD authoring program. He is well on his way.
Wow, didn't know that! Wouldn't that be something!
Old 13th October 2016, 23:45   #25006  |  Link
MrVideo

Yes, it would be nice to have a full authoring package. Go back and read the post. It is not a commitment.
Old 13th October 2016, 23:49   #25007  |  Link
jdobbs

I can't remember why it doesn't create the menu on import. I'm sure there's a good reason -- I'll have to go back and check.

But. You can always import, and then do a quick-play backup of the import (instead of a Full Backup), and a menu will be created.
Old 14th October 2016, 06:46   #25008  |  Link
MrVideo

I've discovered a bug in the menu creation. View this image.

The area containing the error is circled. The settings are in the INI file posted above.

And yes, it is a photo of the screen and not a screen grab as I can't do a screen grab from a Blu-ray player.

UPDATE: It is related to the font that is being used. It is "aniron bold" and is available from here.

The "ringbearer medium" font works just fine.

Last edited by MrVideo; 14th October 2016 at 07:56.
Old 14th October 2016, 06:55   #25009  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
But. You can always import, and then do a quick-play backup of the import (instead of a Full Backup), and a menu will be created.
That didn't work.

When I imported a single file in Full Backup mode and then switched the mode to Quick-Play, BD-RB wouldn't let me edit the menu because I didn't have a source path. When I hit the backup button, it too complained about no source path. There is no source, since the file has already been imported.
Old 14th October 2016, 13:52   #25010  |  Link
MrVideo

I just thought of something, because of the thing I found regarding the menu text and something else I saw with a menu.

The menu text appears to be placed within a "box" that has its background color set to the menu backdrop color. That means the menu text can never be placed over an image, because the text isn't within a transparent container. In a previous posting, I asked if there was a way to use the menu background video from a BD release (still haven't heard back on that one). But, if the menu text can't be placed on the menu background without the solid box, it isn't worth having a background image that isn't solid.

Is my understanding of this correct?
Old 14th October 2016, 14:27   #25011  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I just thought of something, because of the thing I found regarding the menu text and something else I saw with a menu.

The menu text appears to be placed within a "box" that has its background color set to the menu backdrop color. That means the menu text can never be placed over an image, because the text isn't within a transparent container. In a previous posting, I asked if there was a way to use the menu background video from a BD release (still haven't heard back on that one). But, if the menu text can't be placed on the menu background without the solid box, it isn't worth having a background image that isn't solid.

Is my understanding of this correct?
No. It isn't. Menu text is indeed in a "box" (but that's required by the Blu-Ray standard, not BD-RB). But the background of the box is transparent.

In your post the problem isn't the background color. It's the fact that one piece of text (in a box) is overlapping another. BD-RB pulls the font height/width and sets the spacing based on that... apparently with that font it is wrong.

As for the background video, the only way to do it right now is to import from a BD -- and the background video from the BD will be used.

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th October 2016 at 15:02.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 14:28   #25012  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
That didn't work.

When I imported a single file in Full Backup mode and then switched the mode to Quick-Play, BD-RB wouldn't let me edit the menu because I didn't have a source path. When I hit the backup button, it too complained about no source path. There is no source, since the file has already been imported.
????? The source path is set to the imported Pseudo Structure after an import.
Old 14th October 2016, 14:45   #25013  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
That didn't work.

I just tried it, and it works exactly as it's supposed to. I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

1. Import the file. At completion the source path is pointing to the Pseudo Structure.
2. Set the backup type to Quick-Play
3. Click on "Edit Quick-Play Menu" from the MODE menu.

I just did it several times with several different files. No problem.

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th October 2016 at 14:47.
Old 14th October 2016, 22:02   #25014  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I just tried it, and it works exactly as it's supposed to. I'm not sure what you're talking about here.
Here are screen grabs of the steps I took.

Description:
1) Make sure BD-RB is in Full Backup mode
2) Import a single file
3) Results after import is done
4) Select Quick-Play Backup mode
5) Result after selection is made. Notice source is now empty.
6) Select Edit Quick-Play Menu
7) Result after selection

If those are not the correct steps, which seems to be what you did, please let me know what I need to do differently.

UPDATE: I tried it again, with the same results. But I manually looked in the source directory and all that is in the PSEUDO directory is a PINFO.INF file. There are BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories and the BDMV path contains all of the goodies.

Last edited by MrVideo; 14th October 2016 at 22:33.
Old 14th October 2016, 22:26   #25015  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
No. It isn't. Menu text is indeed in a "box" (but that's required by the Blu-Ray standard, not BD-RB). But the background of the box is transparent.
Weird. I just did a test and purposely moved the menu text over the top of the logo and the text background is indeed transparent.

What got me to believe that the text background wasn't transparent was when I was working on the first disc for Legend of the Seeker. I didn't have the text down far enough and the bottom of the background image logo got clipped by the text box. I also saw a box that the text was in because when I sent the background fill color, I didn't notice that it was at ~10-10-10 (decimal), so the darker level of the text box was visible on the screen.

No idea what happened to cause that.

Quote:
In your post the problem isn't the background color. It's the fact that one piece of text (in a box) is overlapping another. BD-RB pulls the font height/width and sets the spacing based on that... apparently with that font it is wrong.
I won't be using that font.
Quote:
As for the background video, the only way to do it right now is to import from a BD -- and the background video from the BD will be used.
I'll stick with static images then.

Last edited by MrVideo; 15th October 2016 at 19:32.
Old 14th October 2016, 23:09   #25016  |  Link
gonca

Quote:

Description:
2) Import a single file

If those are not the correct steps, which seems to be what you did, please let me know what I need to do differently.

UPDATE: I tried it again, with the same results. But I manually looked in the source directory and all that is in the PSEUDO directory is a PINFO.INF file. There are BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories and the BDMV path contains all of the goodies.
Step 5 --- Just re point to source directory and it should work
I found that changing Mode sometimes clears the source field
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 23:33   #25017  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

Description:
2) Import a single file

I notice you are trying to do a file that is only 76MB. It's kinda' out-there trying to make a complete disc with a menu for a trailer. That's probably the issue. The source probably went blank because there is nothing in the source path that meets the minimum size for quick-menu. Try adjusting QUICK_PLAY_THRESHOLD. It's default minimum is 10 minutes.

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th October 2016 at 23:39.
Old 15th October 2016, 00:03   #25018  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Step 5 --- Just re point to source directory and it should work
I found that changing Mode sometimes clears the source field
Apologies to all, can't reproduce this
If I ever run across it again I will try to note the sequence of steps
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 02:17   #25019  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I notice you are trying to do a file that is only 76MB. It's kinda' out-there trying to make a complete disc with a menu for a trailer. That's probably the issue. The source probably went blank because there is nothing in the source path that meets the minimum size for quick-menu. Try adjusting QUICK_PLAY_THRESHOLD. It's default minimum is 10 minutes.
The trailer was only being used because it was small, which means it doesn't take long to import. The real file is 22GB, so it takes too long when doing menu creation tests. I didn't think about the threshold because the IMPORT threshold is 15 and it is ignored. I'm able to import two < 15 min files without any issues.

That fixed that issue. But, I expected BD-RB to re-encode the selected file, and it did. As pointed out, I do not want any re-encoding to take place. The input files are to be used as is.

So, this means I'm back to Full Backup mode and stopping after the input stage. That means I will have to have at least two files on the menu. In this case, the feature and a trailer.

I am looking forward to the future where one item will be allowed to have a menu created.
Old 15th October 2016, 11:53   #25020  |  Link
varekai

Pardon me, but why go through all this for a BD-title you can buy for 10 bucks?
I can understand if you want to author/customize a BD from a collection of some series, but with this title?