Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 26th December 2014, 20:10   #1  |  Link
flacattack

FFmpegSource2 Incorrect Timing

Firstly, Happy Holidays all! This is my first post after following and searching the forum for a couple years.

I am trying to restore and upscale an old anime show from source DVDs. I've ripped the VOB files from the DVD with DVDDecrypter, separated by chapter. When I use FFmpegSource2, the input file is never indexed at the correct time, so my output file is always 2-3 minutes shorter than my input. The frames in the output file are sped up at seemingly random intervals.

This happens regardless of how I call it in:

FFIndex("C:\Users\User\Desktop\Vid\VTS_03_CHAPTER_02_1.VOB")
AudioDub(FFVideoSource("C:\Users\User\Desktop\Vid\VTS_03_CHAPTER_02_1.VOB"), FFAudioSource("C:\Users\User\Desktop\Vid\VTS_03_CHAPTER_02_1.VOB"))

or

FFmpegSource2("C:\Users\User\Desktop\Vid\VTS_03_CHAPTER_02_1.VOB")

or the like. DirectShowSource indexes the time correctly, but it is just way too slow for the script I have (0.09FPS vs 0.70FPS FFmegsource2 in MeGUI). Let me know any suggestions, thanks!
flacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 21:49   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

DGIndex
Old 27th December 2014, 01:40   #3  |  Link
flacattack

Thanks for the quick reply, Emulgator!

Is it possible to make a .dgi from a VOB, or just a .d2v with DGIndex? So far the .d2v I've made and the use of MPEG2Source in my script gives me the same speed and results as Directshowsource.
Old 27th December 2014, 03:55   #4  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacattack View Post
Is it possible to make a .dgi from a VOB, or just a .d2v with DGIndex? So far the .d2v I've made and the use of MPEG2Source in my script gives me the same speed and results as Directshowsource.
Yes it is. Are you getting MeGUI to create the d2v file? Not that it should matter. The result should be the same as if you indexed the vob file yourself (the force film setting in MeGUI's options aside).
Just use MeGUI's File/Open menu. It'll offer to index the vob file with DGIndex, you should add the indexing job to the queue, run it, then create your script when the script creator opens. MeGUI will extract the audio and load it into the audio section for re-encoding while it indexes, should you want to re-encode it. No need to do it via a script for vob files.

If you still have speed problems, try a sample encode without any additional filters in the script. If the speed is fine, then it'd be due to the filtering/plugins you're using. If you're having problems you can't sort out, post your full script and maybe upload a sample somewhere. You should be able to split off a sample and save it as a ts file with tsmuxer.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 06:21   #5  |  Link
flacattack

Ok thanks for the clarification!

I've been using MeGUI's File Indexer to index my VOBs, and the output index file is set to .d2v and I can't seem to change it to .dgi. I have an amd graphics card so I can't use DGDecodeNV. Encoding utilizes full CPU without my script, but caps out around 20% with the script. So the issue is most definitely from a few of my plugins, specifically QTGMC and I believe LSFmod. No matter how I try to set up MT with QTGMC, I cannot push my CPU over 20% even when it is individually run.

My script is a bit of an overkill but it does produce the results I like (SuperToon maintains dark lines well before dehaloing and I used multiple LSFmod calls under different settings to avoid distortion from awarpsharp2 used for line thinning). For reference, the source is a heavily haloed disc from Avatar the Last Airbender, I'll upload a clip tomorrow. I have one of the newer 4 core/8 threads, i7 4770k, and so far I'm capped out at 0.50FPS in MeGUI, the goal is 1FPS:

MPEG2Source("C:\Iceberg.d2v")

SetMemoryMax(1700)
SetMTMode(1)
AutoAdjust()

QTGMC( Preset="Slower",FPSDivisor=2,Sharpness=0.2,SubPel=4,truemotion=true,chromamotion=true,globalmotion=true,ProgSADMask=18.0,edithreads=6)

SuperToon(power=0.2, mode=2, Nthr=30, Nstr=0, Ncap=25, Lthr=0, Hthr=255, Lcap=255, cont=180, show=false)

SuperToon(power=16, mode=3, Nthr=4, Nstr=0, Ncap=150, Lthr=0, Hthr=255, Lcap=255, cont=180, show=false)

DeHalo_alpha_2BD(rx=2.0, ry=2.0, darkstr=1.0, brightstr=1.0, lowsens=15, highsens=20, ss=22.0)

SetMTMode(2)
GradFun2DBmod(thr=1.0, mode=2, str=0.8, strC=0, temp=50, adapt=0, mask=True, radius=4, range=4, show=False)

UnsharpHQ(THRESHOLD=5, SHARPSTR=0.7, SMOOTH=0.4)

SetMTMode(2)
LSFmod(defaults="fast", smode=4,strength=140, kernel=19, preblur="OFF", secure=True, Szrp=16, Spwr=4, SdmpLo=4, SdmpHi=48, overshoot=1, undershoot=1, overshoot2=2, undershoot2=2, soothe=True, keep=50, edgemode=0, show=False,ss_x=4.00,ss_y=4.00)

MSharpen(threshold=2, strength=74, mask=false, highq=true)

SetMTMode(2)
awarpsharp2(thresh=117,blur=12,type=1,depth=22,chroma=3)

SetMTMode(2)
LSFmod(defaults="fast", smethod=2,smode=3,strength=300, kernel=20, preblur="OFF", secure=True, Szrp=100, Spwr=6, SdmpLo=2, SdmpHi=10, overshoot=1, undershoot=1, overshoot2=2, undershoot2=2, soothe=True, keep=90, edgemode=0,edgemaskHQ=true,ss_x=4.00,ss_y=4.00)

SetMTMode(2)
GradFun2DBmod(thr=1.0, mode=2, str=0.8, strC=0, temp=50, adapt=0, mask=True, radius=4, range=4, show=False)

SetMTMode(2)
LSFmod(defaults="fast", smode=3,smethod=4,strength=293, kernel=19, preblur="OFF", secure=True, Szrp=255, Spwr=5, SdmpLo=24, SdmpHi=24, overshoot=1, undershoot=1, overshoot2=2, undershoot2=2, soothe=True, keep=80, edgemode=2,edgemaskHQ=true,ss_x=4.00,ss_y=4.00)

SetMTMode(2)
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=8,nsize=3,nns=4,cshift="Spline64Resize")

SetMTMode(2)
nnedi3_resize16(target_width=1440, target_height=1080, src_left=0, src_top=0, nsize=3,nns=4,kernel_d="spline", kernel_u="spline", f_d=1.0, f_u=1.0, taps=6, invks_d=True, invks_u=False, invkstaps=6, noring=True)
Old 30th December 2014, 21:39   #6  |  Link
Asmodian

Is that your script?

You only use SetMTMode() when changing the mode and most filters do not like mode 1:

Code:
SetMemoryMax(1700)
SetMTMode(3)
MPEG2Source("C:\Iceberg.d2v")
SetMTMode(2)
AutoAdjust()
QTGMC( Preset="Slower",FPSDivisor=2,Sharpness=0.2,SubPel=4,truemotion=true,chromamotion=true,globalmotion=true,ProgSADMask=18.0,edithreads=2)
SuperToon(power=0.2, mode=2, Nthr=30, Nstr=0, Ncap=25, Lthr=0, Hthr=255, Lcap=255, cont=180, show=false)
SuperToon(power=16, mode=3, Nthr=4, Nstr=0, Ncap=150, Lthr=0, Hthr=255, Lcap=255, cont=180, show=false)
DeHalo_alpha_2BD(rx=2.0, ry=2.0, darkstr=1.0, brightstr=1.0, lowsens=15, highsens=20, ss=22.0)
UnsharpHQ(THRESHOLD=5, SHARPSTR=0.7, SMOOTH=0.4)
LSFmod(defaults="fast", smode=4, [snip])
MSharpen(threshold=2, strength=74, mask=false, highq=true)
awarpsharp2(thresh=117,blur=12,type=1,depth=22,chroma=3)
LSFmod(defaults="fast",smethod=2,smode=3, [snip])
LSFmod(defaults="fast", smode=3,smethod=4 [snip])
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=8,nsize=3,nns=4,cshift="Spline64Resize")
nnedi3_resize16(target_width=1440, target_height=1080, [snip])
If you really think you need that many filters I will not argue over individual lines but that looks too filtered to me, sometimes less is more. You do a lot of damage with so much filtering. It is also very obvious why it is so slow.

Maybe I will argue with one pair of lines specifically, why nnedi3_rpow2 and nnedi3_resize16? Why not simply use nnedi3_resize16? What is AutoAdjust() doing to help? (oops, another one)
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 12:38   #7  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Eight sharpeners in a row? Really? I can't come up with anything that could possibly benefit from that. Surrealism, maybe?

As a newbie, stick to 1s: One input, one deinterlace/ivtc, one smoother, one sharpener, one resizer, at most. Tweak the ones you have, first, and then add more one at a time, tweaking them, so you'll understand when and where to put them. Your way, it's just stacking turning the artifacts of each filter into more pronounced artifacts in the next.

Purely from a CPU standpoint, QTGMC is probably nearly 50% of your processing time, and two instances of NNEDI3 probably the other other 50%.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 07:26   #8  |  Link
flacattack

Ah, ok thanks again guys! And yes, surrealism is a good way to describe the look that my script was giving me. Personally, I liked it on a couple of frames.... but once I encoded I realized how terribly it distorted other frames. I hope you guys at least got a good kick out of seeing such a crazy script!

So I took away the LSFMod's, the first NNEDI3 and awarpsharp and my speed jumped up to 0.90 FPS! I also added MCAA to get rid of some (but not all) of the shimmering I got after QTGMC. Unfortunately, I can't set up any source functions to MT because I cannot get the script to stay under 2GB RAM usage so avs4x264mod doesn't crash, no matter what I set my memory limit to. So I'm pleased considering the heavily haloed source. I'll post a before and after example clip once I tweak a few more things. I'll also post and example of some residual outlines that appear in some succeeding frames (don't know exactly what to call it, possibly chroma bleeding). Here is my current script:

SetMemoryMax(1900)
MPEG2Source("C:\Desktop\Vid\VTS_03_CHAPTER_02_1.d2v")
SetMTMode(2)
QTGMC(Preset="Slower",FPSDivisor=2,Sharpness=0.2,SubPel=4,truemotion=true,chromamotion=true,globalmotion=true,ProgSADMask=18.0)
MCAA(dark=0.0, thin=0, sharp= 10, smooth=1, stabilize=true, aafilter="taa", predown=false, predownMC=false, aarepair=24)
DeHalo_alpha_2BD(rx=2.0, ry=2.0, darkstr=1.0, brightstr=1.0, lowsens=2, highsens=2, ss=10.0)
MSharpen(threshold=5, strength=28, mask=false, highq=true)
UnsharpHQ(THRESHOLD=8, SHARPSTR=0.1, SMOOTH=2.0)
HQDeringmod(mrad=4, msmooth=4,mthr=200, minp=4, dither=6)
nnedi3_resize16(target_width=1440, target_height=1080, src_left=0, src_top=0, nsize=0,nns=4,kernel_d="spline", kernel_u="spline", f_d=1.0, f_u=1.0, taps=6, invks_d=True, invks_u=true, invkstaps=6, noring=True)
Old 8th January 2015, 16:19   #9  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Encoding utilizes full CPU without my script, but caps out around 20% with the script. So the issue is most definitely from a few of my plugins, specifically QTGMC and I believe LSFmod. No matter how I try to set up MT with QTGMC, I cannot push my CPU over 20% even when it is individually run.
I gave up on MT Avisynth myself. If I'm using slow filtering (ie QTGMC) I run more than one encode at a time and keep the CPU busy that way.
If I'm only running one encode, I make a copy or two of the script and split the encoding job by adding Trim() to the end of each, so each script encodes part of the video, then I run them simultaneously. The encoded video can be appended later with MKVMergeGUI, as long as "stitchable" is checked in the x264 encoder configuration.

My main issue with MT Avisynth was not being able to get it 100% stable. A couple of times I left the encoding job running and returned to find the PC had spent most of the time displaying an error message instead of encoding, so I went back to single threaded mode.

Quote:
So I took away the LSFMod's, the first NNEDI3 and awarpsharp and my speed jumped up to 0.90 FPS! I also added MCAA to get rid of some (but not all) of the shimmering I got after QTGMC. Unfortunately, I can't set up any source functions to MT because I cannot get the script to stay under 2GB RAM usage so avs4x264mod doesn't crash, no matter what I set my memory limit to.
Anyone know if it's likely for avs4x264mod to be a bottleneck?
I ask because someone at VideoHelp was asking about slow encoding speed recently and avs4x264mod seemed like it might be the culprit.
The way I understand it MeGUI uses avs4x264mod when Avisynth is 32 bit and the x264 encoder is 64 bit. I don't know if there's a way to bypass it when running a 64 bit OS. I'm using XP myself so avs4x264mod is never used.

flacattack,
Out of curiosity, what sort of speed to you get if you only use QTGMC from your previous script and nothing else?

Last edited by hello_hello; 8th January 2015 at 16:23.
Old 8th January 2015, 21:40   #10  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Anyone know if it's likely for avs4x264mod to be a bottleneck?
I ask because someone at VideoHelp was asking about slow encoding speed recently and avs4x264mod seemed like it might be the culprit.
The way I understand it MeGUI uses avs4x264mod when Avisynth is 32 bit and the x264 encoder is 64 bit. I don't know if there's a way to bypass it when running a 64 bit OS. I'm using XP myself so avs4x264mod is never used.
It is very unlikely for avs4x264mod to be a bottleneck. It simply pipes the video data to x264 to allow 32 bit avisynth input to 64 bit x264. No way to get around it if you want to use 64 bit x264 and 32 bit Avisynth, you could use 32 bit x264 on a 64 bit OS but it is quite a bit slower.

There are other options though, I use a newer version of avs2yuv so I am not sure how avs4x264mod works but maybe avs4x264mod doesn't call distributor() itself so it would need to be added to the end of a MT script.
Old 9th January 2015, 02:18   #11  |  Link
flacattack

I stopped using awarpsharp, but I'm still getting a lot of "motion blobbing" in my final video, especially around lines. Would NNEDI3 or Msharpen be the culprit?

hello_hello: The encoding speed jumps up to about 7.5-8FPS just using QTGMC. Which is slow, but a heck of a lot better than the current 0.81FPS I'm getting. Speed decreases by a good amount if I stack anything after in the script, no matter what it is.

Asmodian: I'm using 32-bit Avisynth on my 64-bit system, but MeGUI defaults to using the 32-bit version of avs4x264mod. That may be part of the issue. Is there any way to make MeGUI default to 64-bit x264 encoding in this case?
Old 9th January 2015, 02:47   #12  |  Link
flacattack

Here is an example of how I managed to exaggerate some of the blobbing/blurring on finer areas. Still some aliasing present too.

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/7752381/file.html

Here is the source: http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/1142365/file.html

Last edited by flacattack; 9th January 2015 at 03:07.
Old 9th January 2015, 04:26   #13  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

I think you're thrashing the cache, that would explain why speed drops considerably: You have no room left to store processed old frames, but another filter wants them anyway, so Avisynth has to rerun QTGMC to recreate them. The more temporal filters you have, the more cache thrashing you get, as the radius of frames that need to be touched expands. Since you're hitting the 2GB barrier anyway, just raising the cache size will only lead to out-of-memory crashes.

If you stay in 32-bit mode you only have one good choice: chain multiple avisynth scripts in series, so each gets its own 2GB slice of memory. If you can find 64-bit of everything you need (or switch to Vapoursynth), you can alleviate that problem, as long as you have enough memory.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 09:00   #14  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
hello_hello: The encoding speed jumps up to about 7.5-8FPS just using QTGMC. Which is slow, but a heck of a lot better than the current 0.81FPS I'm getting. Speed decreases by a good amount if I stack anything after in the script, no matter what it is.
For funzies, I thought I'd try to get encoding speed down to under 1fps. I just picked a random vob file to work with (PAL) and started with just QTGMC in the script (same settings as you). Encoding speed settled down to around 4.5fps, but this is an old Q9450 CPU which would probably be at best, half the speed of your CPU. Then I tried adding extra stuff. This script reduced encoding speed to 1.17fps (default x264 encoder settings).

Quote:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("D:\VTS_04_3.d2v")

QTGMC(Preset="Slower",FPSDivisor=2,Sharpness=0.2,SubPel=4,truemotion=true,chromamotion=true,globalmotion=true,ProgSADMask=18.0)
GradFun2DBmod()
FFT3DFilter()
LSFmod()
GradFun2DBmod()
LSFmod()
dfttest()
LimitedSharpenFaster()
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2)
Spline64Resize(1440,1080)
No exactly a scientific comparison, I know, as I just added random filters (I don't have all the filters you're using), but I did stack a little more than "anything" after QTGMC and I'm still not down to your speed, my CPU is slower, I'm running XP and Avisynth is single threaded. CPU usage is around 60%.
After making a copy of the script and running the two together, the second is doing 0.78fps, so I'm totalling about 2fps with CPU usage roughly 90%. According to Task Manager, each x264 process is using about 1.3GB of RAM.
Could multi-threading be slowing things down somehow?

Quote:
Asmodian: I'm using 32-bit Avisynth on my 64-bit system, but MeGUI defaults to using the 32-bit version of avs4x264mod. That may be part of the issue. Is there any way to make MeGUI default to 64-bit x264 encoding in this case?
What's the commandline MeGUI is using?
I think there's only a 32 bit version of avs4x264mod, which then sends the video to the 64 bit encoder.
Old 9th January 2015, 10:05   #15  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Here is an example of how I managed to exaggerate some of the blobbing/blurring on finer areas. Still some aliasing present too.

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/7752381/file.html

Here is the source: http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/1142365/file.html
I live in PAL land so there's huge potential for me to be completely wrong, but I'm fairly sure the source isn't interlaced. It requires IVTC instead. If you open the source sample in MeGUI's preview and step through the frames from around frame number 575 there's an obvious 3:2 pattern of clean and "dirty" frames.

I never work with animation so I don't know what'd be the best way to IVTC it, although something simple like this seems to work:

Quote:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("D:\Source.d2v")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
tfm(order=1).tdecimate()
Maybe followed by vinverse()?
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Vinverse/2.5

I don't really know where you'd go from there to clean it up as animation's definitely not my thing, but I'm not sure QTGMC is the right tool for the job.

Edit:
Quote:
I've been using MeGUI's File Indexer to index my VOBs, and the output index file is set to .d2v and I can't seem to change it to .dgi. I have an amd graphics card so I can't use DGDecodeNV.
I forgot to add earlier.....
DGIndex creates d2v index files, and for DGDecodeNV it's dgi, so that seems pretty normal.

Last edited by hello_hello; 9th January 2015 at 10:26.
Old 10th January 2015, 03:05   #16  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
avs4x264mod needs to be 32-bit to connect with 32-bit Avisynth, it can then pipe the video to 64-bit x264. If you were using 32-bit x264 you would not need to use avs4x264mod and could simply give x264 the script directly.
Old 6th May 2015, 21:17   #17  |  Link
hello_hello

I'm back posting in this thread because suddenly I'm suffering from a similar speed problem to flacattack with some specific videos, and the problem appears to be 100% repeatable. The source video is h264. If I start encoding from the beginning, the encoding speed starts off normally (very slow), but never achieves "normal" speed, and gradually slows to a crawl while CPU usage also slowly drops. If I start the encoding a few minutes in, the speed stays consistent. It's not like the video itself is more complex at the beginning and causing encoding speed to slow though, because when I let the encode run from the beginning it never speeds up again.

This is from MeGUI's log file (x264 standard error stream) after encoding the first few minutes of video with the following script:

Quote:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\ffms\ffms2.dll")
FFVideoSource("E:\video.mkv", cachefile="D:\video.mkv.ffindex", fpsnum=24, fpsden=1, threads=1)
QTGMC(InputType=1, Preset="medium", EzDenoise=1)
crop(4, 2, -4, -2)
Spline36Resize(1280,720)
LSFMod(strength=75)
gradfun3()
trim(0, 3813)
encoded 3814 frames, 0.97 fps, 3548.04 kb/s

I assume the above would be the average encoding speed and the actual speed by the end of the encode would have been even slower.
If I change Trim() in the script to encode from frame 3814 to the end, the log file tells me this:

encoded 68188 frames, 3.46 fps, 3192.46 kb/s

I'm at a complete loss as to why encoding from the beginning causes encoding speed to slow, but I've been able to repeat it quite reliably with these sources (I watch it gradually slowing courtesy of MeGUI's encoding status window), to the point I'm encoding the remainder by splitting each encode into three sections and appending the encoded video together.....
A small first section to get the slow encoding out of the way, then splitting the remaining video into two sections I can encode simultaneously at normal speed. It's quite baffling.

My testing so far seems to indicate it only happens when QTGMC and LSFMod are used in the same script. Individually, they don't cause a problem. Next I'll try changing the plugins they have in common (Masktools2 and RemoveGrain, I think) and test some more. If I discover anything new, I'll post back.

I'm sure I've bumped into this problem previously, where the odd encode has seemed to run unusually slowly, and maybe once or twice where after restarting the encode it's run at normal speed, but it's not become an obvious problem until now, where it's 100% repeatable.

I'm using XP and AVisynth+ (portable version courtesy of MeGUI).

Edit: Problem solved, I hope!

(It seems for me the problems in question only occurs when running QTGMC in progressive mode, so it's possibly not related to flacattack speed problem as I thought it might be)

After running a bunch of encodes with various versions of MaskTools2, I again confirmed that this version is the fastest, but not the cause of my problem. That always seems to be the last thing I test, which in this case was the QTGMC script itself. Switching from the Dogway modded version of QTGMC (version 3.33d) back to version 3.33 seems to have solved the problem.
I'll run some more encodes from scratch now while monitoring encoding speed and if the problem appears to be fixed I'll report the issue in Dogway's thread over at VideoHelp to see if he has any idea as to what's happening.

(I don't know if there's an "official" link for version 3.33 as the QTGMC thread still lists the latest official version as 3.32, but there's a link for 3.33 buried in the Doom9 QTGMC thread somewhere..... in case anyone is wondering)

Edit 2: Much better. After switching QTGMC from 3.33d to 3.33, encoding speed for the script posted above went from this:
encoded 3814 frames, 0.97 fps, 3548.04 kb/s
To this:
encoded 3814 frames, 4.00 fps, 3562.11 kb/s

Interesting the bitrate changed a tad, but it's still a mystery as to why the speed only takes a hit when encoding from the beginning of the video......

Last edited by hello_hello; 7th May 2015 at 21:47.

Tags
dvd, ffmpegsource2, mpeg2, time, timing