Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 25th February 2020, 01:24   #18381  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I respectfully disagree. I figured out well enough how it works. I'm not interesting in changing my entire processing flow into it. I was hoping to use it to do distributed encoding at the end of my current processing flow instead of having to manually break up the final output into pieces and run the encodes simultaneously. It can't be used for that, which is fine. I took a look at it because Atak_Snajpera had previously suggested it in threads for distributed encoding on high core count systems to better utilize the CPU. It's not compatible with my method.
Well, you can't have one, without the other...

Curious about what you're using for "your" workflow/method ??
Old 25th February 2020, 05:10   #18382  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Well, you can't have one, without the other...

Curious about what you're using for "your" workflow/method ??
I feed my losslessly compressed content that is split into several AVI files into x265 running the command line options of my choosing. Currently I append the AVI files to each other in AVIsynth, deband to 10-bit, and compress the output of AVIsynth with x265. I split the job manually into 8 as close to equal length pieces (cut on a scene change) which are then compressed simultaneously on a single PC. As part of the process I have to recalculate and create 8 qpfiles based on the starting offset of each of the 8 segments to keep the placement of the chapter keyframes in the correct locations.

I was hoping to find a solution that would take my .avs combining the AVI files spitting out 10-bits and handle the splitting and qpfile offset automatically while giving me full control over the x265 command line. As it turns out ripbot264 can't do that for me. It's not a big deal. I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 06:09   #18383  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
I feed my losslessly compressed content that is split into several AVI files into x265 running the command line options of my choosing. Currently I append the AVI files to each other in AVIsynth, deband to 10-bit, and compress the output of AVIsynth with x265. I split the job manually into 8 as close to equal length pieces (cut on a scene change) which are then compressed simultaneously on a single PC. As part of the process I have to recalculate and create 8 qpfiles based on the starting offset of each of the 8 segments to keep the placement of the chapter keyframes in the correct locations.

I was hoping to find a solution that would take my .avs combining the AVI files spitting out 10-bits and handle the splitting and qpfile offset automatically while giving me full control over the x265 command line. As it turns out ripbot264 can't do that for me. It's not a big deal. I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
Holy shit, that sounds like a LOT of work...are you doing this for yourself, or business based (for clients & customers, etc) ?

I mean this is way over my head, but surely there has to be a better easier way of doing all that...

I'll be interested if anyone else chimes in on this..bizarre.

Thanks for sharing
Old 25th February 2020, 11:16   #18384  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Looks like an unoptimized workflow and waste of time.
Lossy video -> 8 huge lossless avi -> filtering in avisynth -> x265
All this to have keyframes at chapter points? I'm glad you have decided to this all manually for each movies...

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 25th February 2020 at 11:26.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 13:37   #18385  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Looks like an unoptimized workflow and waste of time.
Lossy video -> 8 huge lossless avi -> filtering in avisynth -> x265
All this to have keyframes at chapter points? I'm glad you have decided to this all manually for each movies...
That's not what I described... The end to end flow is something like this.

Lossy video -> processing in Resolve and/or AVIsynth -> lossless or transparent intermediate file or files -> final pre-compression tweaks in AVIsynth -> x265 or x264
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 13:41   #18386  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesjrgr View Post
Hi everyone!!!!

I have a weird problem (i think..).
I am using Ripbot regularly..I had a VGA malfuction,so i had to downgrade from nvidia 770gtx to nvidia 280gtx (drivers 342.01)
The problem i have is,when i try to encode to tonemap (from settings),it shows the message "ffprobe.exe has stopped working"
If i try to turn on tonemapping from avisynth parameters,"ffprobe.exe has stopped working" and "Ripbot264 error "List index out of bounds(5)"

Every suggestion is appreciated!!!!
@Atak:
May I bump this post to your recognition.
I have exactly the same problem with tonemapping on one of my older machines.
For what it's worth: Nvidia Geforce 750gtx and latest drivers.
Everything else is working reliable.
Great what you did to Ripbot in all of this years!
With minor tweaks it became my favourite workhorse .
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 16:49   #18387  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I guess he means "how to run multiple scripts" with one selection in the batch menu

So the answer is, we can join them in one? with a proper name of course
Yes, you'd take two custom scripts and make a new 3rd custom script that is what you want from the other two.

Quote:
Yes, slalom, that IS exactly what I was talking about

So here's an example of 2 scripts (Enhanced Details, and MDegrain)..

would this work ??

#After_Prefetch_Custom
LoadPlugin("C:\RipBot264\Tools\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
LevelLimit=(video.BitsPerComponent==8) ? 255 : 1023
IntensityMask=ConvertToY(video).Levels(0,2,LevelLimit,0,LevelLimit,coring=false)
EdgeMask=aSobel(IntensityMask,chroma=0,thresh=255,SetAffinity=false).invert.Levels(0,2,LevelLimit,0,LevelLimit,coring=false).Blur(1)
SharpMask=Overlay(IntensityMask,EdgeMask,mode="Multiply",opacity=1.0)
SharpenedVideo=Sharpen(video,1)
video=Overlay(video,SharpenedVideo,mask=SharpMask,opacity=1.0)

#Denoise
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
super=MSuper(video,pel=2)
bv1=MAnalyse(super,blksize=8,isb=true,delta=1,overlap=4)
fv1=MAnalyse(super,blksize=8,isb=false,delta=1,overlap=4)
video=MDegrain1(video,super,bv1,fv1,thSAD=400)

If this was then saved as what ever you wanted to call it, and accessed it from the "Custom" options in Avisynth settings....

It may not need the # names
Yeah, that should work. Not the cleanest script but it should work.
I'd personally do it this way for a custom script:
Code:
IntensityMask=ConvertToY(video).Levels(0,2,LevelLimit,0,LevelLimit,coring=false)
EdgeMask=aSobel(IntensityMask,chroma=0,thresh=255,SetAffinity=false).invert.Levels(0,2,LevelLimit,0,LevelLimit,coring=false).Blur(1)
video=Overlay(video,SharpenedVideo,mask=SharpMask,opacity=1.0).MDegrain1(video,super,bv1,fv1,thSAD=400)
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 16:55   #18388  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Wow, I'm sorry I wasted so much of your time by causing you to have to indirectly tell me your tool won't do what I want.
In my short testing your program I noticed the following additional shortfalls.
1) Your program appends options I didn't ask for to the x265 command line / doesn't give me full control of the x265 command line.
2) Your program seems to have no ability to pass a qpfile into the x265 encoder.
I didn't ask you to do anything for me. You informed me that it can't be used how I'd like to use it, so I'm moving on. I'm sorry you have taken that so personally.

I respectfully disagree. I figured out well enough how it works. I'm not interesting in changing my entire processing flow into it. I was hoping to use it to do distributed encoding at the end of my current processing flow instead of having to manually break up the final output into pieces and run the encodes simultaneously. It can't be used for that, which is fine. I took a look at it because Atak_Snajpera had previously suggested it in threads for distributed encoding on high core count systems to better utilize the CPU. It's not compatible with my method.
I'm surprised you're having an issue with the x265 command line but I'm not trying to pass qpfiles.
I had to change my work flow to use DE mode in RipBot but personally I found that it was worth it. There is a lot of automation ability too in the Settings > "Run command script after finished job"

Quote:

Lossy video -> processing in Resolve and/or AVIsynth -> lossless or transparent intermediate file or files -> final pre-compression tweaks in AVIsynth -> x265 or x264
If you changed a how you do a few things (not what they're doing) RipBot can do what you want but it would take a bit of work. Best of luck.

Last edited by byteshare; 25th February 2020 at 18:25.
Old 26th February 2020, 00:44   #18389  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post

Yeah, that should work. Not the cleanest script but it should work.
I'd personally do it this way for a custom script:
Code:
video=Overlay(video,SharpenedVideo,mask=SharpMask,opacity=1.0).MDegrain1(video,super,bv1,fv1,thSAD=400)
Hey byteshare...I see what you did there, that's great..just consolidated the lines, "like for like"...this will be a great "template" for me to experiment with multiple scripts & filters

Admittedly, that was just a very quick copy & paste example of 2 scripts....I haven't used any, yet. But with Atak mentioning more custom scripts, I thought there'd have to be a way to use more than one at a time.
Old 26th February 2020, 16:34   #18390  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Hey byteshare...I see what you did there, that's great..just consolidated the lines, "like for like"...this will be a great "template" for me to experiment with multiple scripts & filters

Admittedly, that was just a very quick copy & paste example of 2 scripts....I haven't used any, yet. But with Atak mentioning more custom scripts, I thought there'd have to be a way to use more than one at a time.
For me that is why all of my scripts load all of my plugins/filters so that if I feel like it I can edit on the fly and do a quick preview, since some filters require additional things loaded if you change a few settings, or if I want to add in a filter to a custom script later to do a quick test.
It isn't efficient but I haven't found any downside.
Old 3rd March 2020, 22:58   #18391  |  Link
slalom

@Atak
I have a problem with one of my PCs

When I run any program like mkvmerge, a stream extractor, anything with low cpu demands, Ripbot stops working on that PC
Same thing happens if I add something to download with utorrent, Ripbot stops working on that PC

Something blocks it, that didn't happen 6 months ago or 6 years ago, I used to run other applications without any problem

It is an i5-750 running Win 7 with 16GB of RAM, minimum programs are installed and I used this fix https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/916...arge-torrents/ recently, if you find it importand
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 12:06   #18392  |  Link
grandmastashi

Hi @Atak, after a period having children i've decided to get back into encoding some of my library to save some space on my media server (for speed in recent times i've just been using MakeMKV to rip everything).

In that time 4k movies have come along and obviously those rips take a lot of hard drive space. I'm looking to compress some of my collection down (less special effect heavy films like comedies in the main) to get some space back.

I know Handbrake doesn't completely support HDR, but I've seen some suggestions that Ripbot does and can pass it through. I also notice the option to Tonemap is included.

I just wondered if I could get clarity on preserving HDR please? I just want to confirm whether it's just a case of feeding Ripbot the 4k file, choosing HEVC and MA10 as my encoder settings and pressing start, or whether I need to turn tonemapping on as well?

Thanks very much in advance, very much appreciate the programme and the work you put into it.

Last edited by grandmastashi; 6th March 2020 at 12:24.
grandmastashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 14:08   #18393  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmastashi View Post
Hi @Atak, after a period having children i've decided to get back into encoding some of my library to save some space on my media server (for speed in recent times i've just been using MakeMKV to rip everything).

In that time 4k movies have come along and obviously those rips take a lot of hard drive space. I'm looking to compress some of my collection down (less special effect heavy films like comedies in the main) to get some space back.

I know Handbrake doesn't completely support HDR, but I've seen some suggestions that Ripbot does and can pass it through. I also notice the option to Tonemap is included.

I just wondered if I could get clarity on preserving HDR please? I just want to confirm whether it's just a case of feeding Ripbot the 4k file, choosing HEVC and MA10 as my encoder settings and pressing start, or whether I need to turn tonemapping on as well?

Thanks very much in advance, very much appreciate the programme and the work you put into it.
Welcome to the forum, grandmastashi...

It is almost as easy as that, the Tone mapping pretty much much looks after itself, (depending on the source), you can change it, but generally not necessary.

HDR also pretty much looks after itself, again, depending on the source, you do have the option to downgrade it to SDR.

Have you got more than 1 pc, if you can enable distributed encoding, that will make the job's go thru a lot quicker, and depending on your settings, it can take a reasonable amount of time. Just due to them being 4K.

Once you've figured things out, you can't get too much better.

Good luck. We're here to help
Old 6th March 2020, 14:19   #18394  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmastashi View Post
Tone mapping converts HDR to SDR. If you want to preserve HDR, make sure tone mapping is not enabled.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 15:20   #18395  |  Link
grandmastashi

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, grandmastashi...

It is almost as easy as that, the Tone mapping pretty much much looks after itself, (depending on the source), you can change it, but generally not necessary.

HDR also pretty much looks after itself, again, depending on the source, you do have the option to downgrade it to SDR.

Have you got more than 1 pc, if you can enable distributed encoding, that will make the job's go thru a lot quicker, and depending on your settings, it can take a reasonable amount of time. Just due to them being 4K.

Once you've figured things out, you can't get too much better.

Good luck. We're here to help
Thanks for the fast response, that's a big help. I'll take a look at distributed encoding too!
Old 6th March 2020, 15:20   #18396  |  Link
grandmastashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Tone mapping converts HDR to SDR. If you want to preserve HDR, make sure tone mapping is not enabled.
Perfect, thanks very much for clarifying.
Old 7th March 2020, 01:25   #18397  |  Link
ImEverlasting

Has anyone gotten any false positives from ffplay packaged with ripbot? Got a windows defender notification today and not sure how to feel.

ImEverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 13:58   #18398  |  Link
Pino72

Same for me....
Pino72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2020, 01:39   #18399  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEverlasting View Post
Has anyone gotten any false positives from ffplay packaged with ripbot? Got a windows defender notification today and not sure how to feel.

I thought I'd posted a comment about this last night...something must have gone wrong.

Anyway, I would suggest that you just "Allow" this in Defender, I doubt that it will cause any problems.
Old 9th March 2020, 13:56   #18400  |  Link
Ex0nuss

Quote:
I thought I'd posted a comment about this last night...something must have gone wrong.

Anyway, I would suggest that you just "Allow" this in Defender, I doubt that it will cause any problems.
Hi,

I scanned with Bitdefender my Ripbot-Folder (Version: 1.25.0) and it said that all files are save
Ex0nuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360