Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 9th February 2023, 19:30   #19961  |  Link
archiel

Resizing Problem with 2:1 Aspect Ratio

If I use the resize option in batch, it is failing on videos with a 2:1 ratio (becoming more common on streaming platforms) and will interpret as 1.85:1. The same if I choose resize via the AviSynth options.

I know I can always run a batch file to fix after the conversion, but is there somewhere (and where do I find it) to add 2:1 as a recognised aspect ratio?

Thanks, Archiel
archiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2023, 00:59   #19962  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiel View Post
If I use the resize option in batch, it is failing on videos with a 2:1 ratio (becoming more common on streaming platforms) and will interpret as 1.85:1. The same if I choose resize via the AviSynth options.

I know I can always run a batch file to fix after the conversion, but is there somewhere (and where do I find it) to add 2:1 as a recognised aspect ratio?

Thanks, Archiel
That's an odd size, what is an example of a video of that ratio ??

So, here's a suggestion, load the offending video "normally", and go into the Avisynth settings and adjust & test different ratio's using the preview, until you've got it the way you want, then copy the script to notepad, and save it as a Custom Script, then you can "call" it within batch. (If it's in the Custom folder)

Code:
#Custom
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\ColorMatrix\ColorMatrix64.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
video=Spline64ResizeMT(video,3840,2076)

RipBot264 modded builds..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2023, 01:40   #19963  |  Link
rlev11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
That's an odd size, what is an example of a video of that ratio ??

So, here's a suggestion, load the offending video "normally", and go into the Avisynth settings and adjust & test different ratio's using the preview, until you've got it the way you want, then copy the script to notepad, and save it as a Custom Script, then you can "call" it within batch. (If it's in the Custom folder)

Code:
#Custom
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\ColorMatrix\ColorMatrix64.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
video=Spline64ResizeMT(video,3840,2076)

Agree with TDS here. Anytime that I have had to batch something with with a resize, I always make a custom script for that ratio (and level of degraining). I am assuming that you are downsizing from 4k to 1080p (doesn't really matter, the process is the same).

Load the video up as a single job. go into avisynth, do an auto-crop, it will tell you the aspect ratio. for your case being a 2:1 aspect. in the resize do a custom, put in 1920x960 or 1280x640, then do whatever else you want to do to that batch. before you then hit OK, click on "show video script" and copy everything in there. go to the tools\avisynth plugins\scripts\custom folder open up notepad and paste that in. then do a file-save as, change the save as type to all files *.*. put in the filename you want with a .avs extension.

to do the batch then, add in the files you want to use that same script on, click "autocrop" then choose your new custom script in the dropdown and hit start.

I have a bunch of custom scripts I use depending on the aspect ratio and degraining for batch processing. I just load up the videos, choose the correct script and go.
rlev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2023, 03:19   #19964  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlev11 View Post
Agree with TDS here. Anytime that I have had to batch something with with a resize, I always make a custom script for that ratio (and level of degraining). I am assuming that you are downsizing from 4k to 1080p (doesn't really matter, the process is the same).

Load the video up as a single job. go into avisynth, do an auto-crop, it will tell you the aspect ratio. for your case being a 2:1 aspect. in the resize do a custom, put in 1920x960 or 1280x640, then do whatever else you want to do to that batch. before you then hit OK, click on "show video script" and copy everything in there. go to the tools\avisynth plugins\scripts\custom folder open up notepad and paste that in. then do a file-save as, change the save as type to all files *.*. put in the filename you want with a .avs extension.

to do the batch then, add in the files you want to use that same script on, click "autocrop" then choose your new custom script in the dropdown and hit start.

I have a bunch of custom scripts I use depending on the aspect ratio and degraining for batch processing. I just load up the videos, choose the correct script and go.
Thanks for the backup, "R"

Yes, once you've figured out how to create & save Custom scripts, "the skies the limit", and one VERY handy extra about that is you can now use with in batch, as batch is rather limited, unfortunately.

Old 10th February 2023, 11:20   #19965  |  Link
archiel

Thank you TDS and rlev11 this gives me something to work on as an interim solution.

FWIW 2:1 is also known as Univisium and has been around as a option for both movies and tv since the late 1990s.

What I would really like to understand what is causing the mistranslation from 2:1 to 1.85:1 and whether it can be fixed. Ideally I want to be able to take a mixed bag of avc videos (different sizes and ratios) and convert them to hevc with a fairly standard size (e.g Auto Height: 1280). While this works fine for more common formats, it fails on 2:1, so these need to be identified separately and either run through a custom script in advance or re-sized afterwards. I am also curious as to how the Auto Height option works and whether there could also be an Auto Width version.
Old 10th February 2023, 12:01   #19966  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Thank you TDS and rlev11 this gives me something to work on as an interim solution.

FWIW 2:1 is also known as Univisium and has been around as a option for both movies and tv since the late 1990s.

What I would really like to understand what is causing the mistranslation from 2:1 to 1.85:1 and whether it can be fixed. Ideally I want to be able to take a mixed bag of avc videos (different sizes and ratios) and convert them to hevc with a fairly standard size (e.g Auto Height: 1280). While this works fine for more common formats, it fails on 2:1, so these need to be identified separately and either run through a custom script in advance or re-sized afterwards. I am also curious as to how the Auto Height option works and whether there could also be an Auto Width version.
Is there any chance that you could upload a sample or full episode of one of these 2:1 clips ???

I don't think I have had anything like this, some OLD DVD type TV episodes can have a fussy resizing issue.

There is a filter/script that can auto resize clips to a preset width, and auto calculates the height, called "Deep Resize", but it can't be used with standard RipBot.

You could also check this info out, and see if you can do something with it ...

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/SimpleResize

Last edited by TDS; 10th February 2023 at 12:09.
Old 10th February 2023, 14:18   #19967  |  Link
rlev11

Seems like some of the new streaming series are using that 2:1 aspect ratio. I know 1883,For All Mankind, and The Right Stuff used it. I saw that The Santa Clauses series used an oddball 2.2:1 aspect which I don;t remember seeing before
Old 10th February 2023, 14:31   #19968  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlev11 View Post
Seems like some of the new streaming series are using that 2:1 aspect ratio. I know 1883,For All Mankind, and The Right Stuff used it. I saw that The Santa Clauses series used an oddball 2.2:1 aspect which I don;t remember seeing before
I'll have to see if I can find an episode or two of them, thanks for that

Edit:- 1883 is 1920 x 960.....

Last edited by TDS; 10th February 2023 at 14:36.
Old 10th February 2023, 19:29   #19969  |  Link
archiel

While we can use custom scripts to pass the correct aspect ratio, the core question seems to be around where Ripbot264 is deriving and storing the Aspect Ratio in the first place and I am guessing that this may be a question for Atak. The Aspect Ratio is only applied once Resize is called as both the mkvinfo.txt and {filename}.lwi show the correct source dimensions. I am assuming that if this could be corrected (ideal) and/or exposed and overridden then Resize would be able use the correct ratio when calculating the inputs for Spline.
Old 11th February 2023, 01:50   #19970  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
While we can use custom scripts to pass the correct aspect ratio, the core question seems to be around where Ripbot264 is deriving and storing the Aspect Ratio in the first place and I am guessing that this may be a question for Atak. The Aspect Ratio is only applied once Resize is called as both the mkvinfo.txt and {filename}.lwi show the correct source dimensions. I am assuming that if this could be corrected (ideal) and/or exposed and overridden then Resize would be able use the correct ratio when calculating the inputs for Spline.
Yes, at it might be the only option, if you haven't noticed, Atak doesn't seem to be doing much with his creation, of late, so any fixes, may not come, but we live in hope.

Having said that, it maybe an Avisynth "thing", and Atak has NO control over that !!!!

EDIT:- I've been informed that this is NOT an Avisynth issue !!

So, I got me an episode or "1883", (which is this 2:1 ratio, 1920 x 960) and indeed, when loaded into RB, and you set it to 1280 x 720, it displays @ 1280 x 692, and setting @ 1920 x 1080, it displays @ 1920 x 1038.

And, as expected, Custom (Auto Height) in batch does the exact same thing...if there was a "manual" Custom setting in batch, then that would solve the whole problem !!!!

What to do

Last edited by TDS; 11th February 2023 at 03:40.
Old 12th February 2023, 01:30   #19971  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
We've had an autoupdate today (yesterday), that has corrected this ratio issue.

So, Core (1.26.3), Encoding Client (1.18.2) & Encoding Server (1.18.1) have had an update, all are now at 11/02/23.

And it also appears that my request for darker text in Encoding Client & Encoding Server has been approved & accepted (my eyes thankyou)

Last edited by TDS; 12th February 2023 at 02:03.
Old 12th February 2023, 03:45   #19972  |  Link
rlev11

Yep, paused a batch encode, then restarted everything and the update showed up. The darker font color is very nice indeed, Thanks Atak!
Old 12th February 2023, 17:21   #19973  |  Link
archiel

Quote:
We've had an autoupdate today (yesterday), that has corrected this ratio issue.

So, Core (1.26.3), Encoding Client (1.18.2) & Encoding Server (1.18.1) have had an update, all are now at 11/02/23.

And it also appears that my request for darker text in Encoding Client & Encoding Server has been approved & accepted (my eyes thankyou)

Did you test this? I ask because I have also had the update, but when running a batch (auto-height) against 2.00:1 I am still getting an 1.85:1 ratio. The same if I just load the file in Add and go to resize, I either have 1.85 or custom

In case it was something odd in my Ripbot folder, I deleted it, re-downloaded, configured and upgraded, but still1.85:1.

What should I try next - running Windows 11 Pro 22H2.

Last edited by archiel; 12th February 2023 at 17:29.
Old 12th February 2023, 17:38   #19974  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Did you test this? I ask because I have also had the update, but when running a batch (auto-height) against 2.00:1 I am still getting an 1.85:1 ratio. The same if I just load the file in Add and go to resize, I either have 1.85 or custom

In case it was something odd in my Ripbot folder, I deleted it, re-downloaded, configured and upgraded, but still1.85:1.

I did test it, and it seemed to work alright for me on the clip I had.

I'm also running 22H2, but I'm happy to test it again and get back to you, later.

Old 13th February 2023, 02:59   #19975  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Latest RipBot264 v1.26.3 complete (virgin)

As Atak has been so kind as to provide some nice little updates to his app, recently, I thought it was time for this :-

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rj8i9...02-23).7z/file

For those users that want a clean install of the very latest build provided by Atak, without having to start from scratch with v1.26.0, and then update it.

ALL updates have been integrated, but this also includes a copy of ALL the current updates from v1.26.0 (in a separate folder)

All you need to do is keep your RipBot264.ini & EncodingClient.ini from your working/current version.

Enjoy
Old 13th February 2023, 03:06   #19976  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

PD builds news

And while I'm here, I know it's been a while since I posted any of my custom builds.

Rest assured that I have been busy updating both the Lite & full PD builds, and they are nearly ready for release...just a lot of testing of all the new filters & scripts.

Too many changes to keep track of.

I have to add, that I am shocked that in the last couple of days there has been over 40 downloads of the currently available "full" build from MediaFire

Cheers.
Old 13th February 2023, 03:36   #19977  |  Link
TDS

OMG, first post on page 1000 (congrats Atak)

Quote:

Hi archiel

As I said, I was going to test for you:-

This is importing that 1920 x 960 clip of "1883" TV series:-

Below is what is displayed in the Avisynth "Show Video Script" window

Direct adding this as a job:-

Code:
#Upscale
LoadPlugin("C:\RipBot264_PD (01-02-23)\Tools\AviSynth plugins\ColorMatrix\ColorMatrix64.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\RipBot264_PD (01-02-23)\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
video=Spline36ResizeMT(video,1920,960)
Direct adding this as a job:-

Code:
#Downscale
LoadPlugin("C:\RipBot264_PD (01-02-23)\Tools\AviSynth plugins\ColorMatrix\ColorMatrix64.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\RipBot264_PD (01-02-23)\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
video=Spline36ResizeMT(video,1280,640)
Direct adding this as a batch job @ 1280 x 720:-

Code:
#Downscale
Direct adding this as a batch job @ Auto height (1280):-

Code:
#Downscale
Direct adding this as a batch job @ 1280 x 720, using the very latest standard RipBot:-

Code:
#Downscale
LoadPlugin("F:\RipBot264v1.26.3\Tools\AviSynth plugins\ColorMatrix\ColorMatrix64.dll")
LoadPlugin("F:\RipBot264v1.26.3\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
Atak has made some interesting "under the hood" changes for this

The only thing I would change is Spline36ResizeMT to Spline64ResizeMT..

This should also allow you to add any size clip, (in Batch) and it will "keep" the correct ratio, from now on. NICE.

Old 13th February 2023, 12:08   #19978  |  Link
archiel

Quote:
The only thing I would change is Spline36ResizeMT to Spline64ResizeMT..

This should also allow you to add any size clip, (in Batch) and it will "keep" the correct ratio, from now on. NICE.
Thanks for the results, I need to do do some more testing this evening. In regard to changing Spline32ResizeMT to Spline64ResizeMT, is this something that can be done globally, or were you suggesting it as an option?
Old 13th February 2023, 12:16   #19979  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Thanks for the results, I need to do do some more testing this evening. In regard to changing Spline32ResizeMT to Spline64ResizeMT, is this something that can be done globally, or were you suggesting it as an option?
You're welcome, and I hope you get it working.

No, this is not a global option, it would have to be done on a per job basis, unless again, you created your own scripts.

It would be nice if it was an option, OR changed by default, as I've read that 64 IS better than 36.

Old 13th February 2023, 12:54   #19980  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Because We all know that higher number is better... Right?
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360