Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th March 2018, 12:21   #49941  |  Link
DragonQ

Is there a guide or standard settings used for displaying HDR content on an SDR PC monitor? I've got a film to look pretty close to a 1080p SDR version by using:

- Convert HDR content to SDR using pixel shader math
- Display's peak nits: 100
- (All other settings default)

But it's still a bit washed out. I assume there's no "perfect" solution to this?
Old 30th March 2018, 12:26   #49942  |  Link
huhn

no there is no perfect solution the whole HDR topic is pretty much vivid mode without a clear spec. everyone pretty much does what they want with it.

increasing the peak nit should make it look less washed out.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 12:29   #49943  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah default nits rating was changed because of this. Don't set to 100.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 18:12   #49944  |  Link
mindz

Hi,

Im testing the new DXVA11 native decoding with madvr and lav filters. I use Intel HD620 GPU, this is working. I used to use DXVA2 scaling for chroma and image bc this sufficed. With DXVA11 decoding the chroma and image scalers used are Bilinear. Is there a way i can get DXVA11 decoding with DXVA2 scaling?
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 18:40   #49945  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
Im testing the new DXVA11 native decoding with madvr and lav filters. I use Intel HD620 GPU, this is working. I used to use DXVA2 scaling for chroma and image bc this sufficed. With DXVA11 decoding the chroma and image scalers used are Bilinear. Is there a way i can get DXVA11 decoding with DXVA2 scaling?
No, not yet.
Refer to the release notes for the limitations:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...91#post1815291

Hopefully madshi finds some time soon to resolve those limitations, so we can recommend D3D11 decoding without reservations.
Old 30th March 2018, 19:28   #49946  |  Link
mindz

Thanks for the quick reply!
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 19:32   #49947  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
One reason to use 25p is for >8-bit support with a 4K screen... not very important in my option but it is a valid reason.
Another one: if you use motion interpolation from your TV. Better interpolation from 25p to 100Hz than 50p to 100Hz.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 20:37   #49948  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no there is no perfect solution the whole HDR topic is pretty much vivid mode without a clear spec. everyone pretty much does what they want with it.

increasing the peak nit should make it look less washed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah default nits rating was changed because of this. Don't set to 100.
I'm confused. Increasing the "display's peak nits" setting in the HDR tab makes it more washed out for me.
Old 30th March 2018, 21:44   #49949  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Ok, so after matching refresh rate with movie rate by adding 23p and 24p to the string, i had time to watch few HDR movies like Lucy and Star Wars i noticed cpl issues :

1st im getting framed drops and repeated frames, which when i had refresh rate at 59hz never happened.

2nd thing now i have frame repeated every around 7.30min, when on 59hz i had around 44min.

Clock deviation is on 0.00000%

Didn't check yet any 1080p movies so can't tell if there will be same issues, so far only those 2 movies in HDR

So my question is why after matching tv refresh rate to movie such problem started to occur? and steps i should i do to try make this sorted.

btw. i have smooth option off if does matter or not in this situation, but from what i remember when i had on, there were issues with smooth playback

what i notice as well that :
- decoder, upload, render, present queue cant stabilize, i can see every few seconds changes there

cheers

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 30th March 2018 at 21:50.
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 21:59   #49950  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
I'm confused. Increasing the "display's peak nits" setting in the HDR tab makes it more washed out for me.
Is diffuse white set to 100?

Last edited by Warner306; 30th March 2018 at 22:08.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 22:01   #49951  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
So my question is why after matching tv refresh rate to movie such problem started to occur? and steps i should i do to try make this sorted.

btw. i have smooth option off if does matter or not in this situation, but from what i remember when i had on, there were issues with smooth playback

what i notice as well that :
- decoder, upload, render, present queue cant stabilize, i can see every few seconds changes there

cheers
It's called clock jitter and it's normal for all HTPCs. The clocks are often worse at 24p. Most won't notice these frame repeats/drops, but they can be improved.

Read this tutorial on how to combat it: http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html

Last edited by Warner306; 30th March 2018 at 22:10.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 22:08   #49952  |  Link
Asmodian

At 60Hz each refresh is less than half the frame time so you do not get repeated frames reported even if madVR needs to hold a frame for an extra refresh. The same with displaying a frame for one less refresh, every frame normally gets at least two refreshes so even if madVR needs to drop a refresh to resync the frame is still displayed, just for less time, so no dropped frames are reported.

With a matching refresh rate any need to resync the video to the audio will result in dropping or repeating entire frames. You need to use the custom refresh rate tab of madVR to optimize your refresh rate to match your audio clock. Do not pay attention to the clock deviation reported in the OSD to judge this, the reported dropped or repeated frames are more accurate indicators.

Small fluctuations in the queues are normal, as long as none of them have a 0 it should be fine.
Old 30th March 2018, 22:18   #49953  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
At 60Hz each refresh is less than half the frame time so you do not get repeated frames reported even if madVR needs to hold a frame for an extra refresh. The same with displaying a frame for one less refresh, every frame normally gets at least two refreshes so even if madVR needs to drop a refresh to resync the frame is still displayed, just for less time, so no dropped frames are reported.

With a matching refresh rate any need to resync the video to the audio will result in dropping or repeating entire frames. You need to use the custom refresh rate tab of madVR to optimize your refresh rate to match your audio clock. Do not pay attention to the clock deviation reported in the OSD to judge this, the reported dropped or repeated frames are more accurate indicators.

Small fluctuations in the queues are normal, as long as none of them have a 0 it should be fine.
Thought reclock will do all the magic for me, cause this sounds to me like blakc magic

all my refresh rates are standard mode with unknown timing details

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 30th March 2018 at 22:23.
Old 30th March 2018, 22:51   #49954  |  Link
Asmodian

If you are using reclock and still getting dropped or repeated frames something is wrong somewhere.
Old 30th March 2018, 23:17   #49955  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
If you are using reclock and still getting dropped or repeated frames something is wrong somewhere.
It all started from adding 2160p23 and 24p and making nvidia refresh rate match movie rate. Like i said when i play movie on 59hz without matching to 23.97fps it was all good and 1 frame repeat was at 44min not 7min.

I didnt change any other settings in madvr just this refresh rate

So annoying, always something wrong god dammit

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 30th March 2018 at 23:19.
Old 30th March 2018, 23:21   #49956  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Setting a high 'peak nits' value clips (Edit: compresses) the highlights less severely (so you get more dynamic range) but the picture will have lower overall brightness and contrast.
Setting a very low 'peak nits' value will make the picture brighter and with more contrast but with lower dynamic range as highlights will be clipped (Edit: compressed) more severely.

Do you know the real max brightness of your monitor in cd/mē (nits)? If yes then try setting the backlight of your monitor to its highest possible value (or better make a profile for madVR HDR if possible), and then set the 'peak nits' setting to your monitor's maximum light output value. Many PC LCD monitors can easily get to 300-350, which is blindingly bright for native SDR but useful for madVR's HDR downconversion.

Last edited by el Filou; 31st March 2018 at 23:38.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 23:43   #49957  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
It all started from adding 2160p23 and 24p and making nvidia refresh rate match movie rate. Like i said when i play movie on 59hz without matching to 23.97fps it was all good and 1 frame repeat was at 44min not 7min.
Well, to be fair 23p or 24p on 60Hz is never "all good" without smooth motion. You are not getting told there are issues but there is a lot of judder in the playback. Frames are displayed for 2 or 3 refreshes, with rare frames displayed for 1 or 4 refreshes, but no reported frame drops or repeats. Reclock does not do anything in this situation either, it cannot sync the audio clock to the video rate to correctly display 23p at 60Hz because it is impossible to correctly display 23p at 60Hz (without smooth motion).

Stop using Reclock and use smooth motion with 60Hz (disable display modes) or keep Reclock and use a matching refresh rate. Check your Reclock settings if you are getting reported dropped or repeated frames watching 23p at 23 Hz. Ignore the "1 frame repeat/drop every X minutes" in the OSD when using Reclock, Reclock messes up madVR's predictions because it is constantly adjusting the audio speed to prevent dropped or repeated frames (edit: except when the video frame rate is too far away from the refresh rate, like 23p at 60Hz, in which case it does not do its adjustment).

Last edited by Asmodian; 30th March 2018 at 23:49.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 23:46   #49958  |  Link
brazen1

When you play at 59Hz, all is not good. You have judder and motion problems unless you use 'smooth motion' setting which helps.
If you have a native 60hz display, use that old setting with smooth motion on.
If you have a native 120Hz display, use how we are trying to explain to you for best results.
Is your display native 60Hz or 120Hz? Google 'refresh rate' for your model.

Last edited by brazen1; 30th March 2018 at 23:50.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 23:57   #49959  |  Link
Statick

is there a way to enable upscaling refinements only when a certain level of upscaling has taken place? I like to have various enhancements enabled when upscaling SD DVD content to 1080, but when I watch stuff which is already in HD I get dropped frames unless I disable them, and I don't really need the enhancements enabled then anyway

I'm running MadVR on a HTPC so I don't really want to be fiddling with settings every time I watch something, ideally I want one setting that works all the time (which currently means I have to keep some of the enhancements disabled)

also, is there a way to choose a basic upscaling algorithm other than Jinc when a doubling algorithm is selected? I have xbr selected for doubling, with Lanczos3 for "if any (more) scaling is required", but when I watch 4:3 1080 content with black bars zoomed 50%, it scales the image using Jinc AR regardless
Statick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 00:12   #49960  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
When you play at 59Hz, all is not good. You have judder and motion problems unless you use 'smooth motion' setting which helps.
If you have a native 60hz display, use that old setting with smooth motion on.
If you have a native 120Hz display, use how we are trying to explain to you for best results.
Is your display native 60Hz or 120Hz? Google 'refresh rate' for your model.
I have lg e6 so native is 60hz. That's why im trying to figure it out how to get it sorted so i can play movies at original refresh mode how u guys recommend, just dont know where to look for solution in my settings.

When i was using smooth motion with 59hz they i had really stuttering playback, that's why now is off.

Do you think that my issue might cause of

Display 23.97852hz
composition 23.976hz

Would this small difference matter?

Reclock showing : refresh rate 24.000hz DDR, while in nvidia planel is 23hz insted 24 like it says in reclock, but dont know if this matter

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 31st March 2018 at 00:26.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling