Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th July 2012, 13:28   #1  |  Link
rhlee

Proposal to improve ASS readability

Hi,

I'm amature s/w dev mucking about with a/v projects.

I would like to add an appendix to the ASS "spec", and interested to know what you guys thought about it. I know messing with standards that have been used for a long time is a bad idea, but it really addresses an issue that has been bugging me (and probably other people) for a while.

It's basically light/white text on light backgrounds, espicially with light text borders. The light borders thing seems to be more popular nowadays. An example is this:

http://i.imgur.com/o21Gx.png

It might look OK on a HDTV, but I've only got SD, so this is barely readable.

Now you can set BorderStyle=3 to give an opaque background. There are two problems with this. Firstly, this is an opaque background, which looks horrible. Secondly, the colour of the background is the same as the border, so you end up with a garish magenta background. I know you could just set the border color to black, but the border colors tend to be colour-coded to the repective speakers.

I propose adding another field. Something along the lines of "BackgroundColor", a AABBGGRR field. This would add the ability to add an unobtrusive transparent (most likely medium gray) background to the subtitles. This would not require any change to existing ass files. However players like mplayer2 that have the ability to override/append ASS styles. So this field would essentially behave like a flag on supporting players.

Please let me know what you think.

(If I get good feedback, I plan to consult with the libass maintainers and if they agree, take a shot at implmenting it myself.)

Richard
rhlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ass, readability, ssa, subtitles