Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 6th January 2011, 05:42   #1  |  Link
GG-Xtreme

[SOLVED] MeGUI 'Unable to render the file'

(Trying to keep separate issues in separate threads.)

I have a set of .mkv's with H.264 video and AC3 audio, and I wanted to re-encode the audio to AAC so I could play them on my Android phone. However, after much experimentation with remuxing, I've come to the conclusion that these files use VFR because I *cannot* get the video and audio to sync either by simply replacing the audio with MKVmergeGUI (syncs fine on computer, way out of sync on phone) or by putting the H.264 stream into a new container using any MP4Box settings (doesn't sync on either computer or phone, video length is wrong).

I assumed I could get around this using convertFPS in AviSynth through MeGUI, but it seems I can't even load the original .mkv's into MeGUI without "Direct Show Error: Unable to render the file. You probably don't have the correct filters installed". I've tried reinstalling AviSynth, MeGUI and ffdshow in different orders, and the files play fine in MPC using both the internal filters and ffdshow.

Can someone help me with this issue? Or possibly suggest another method of converting VFR to CFR?

Edit: BTW, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I'm using 64-bit ffdshow and AviSynth (as well as MPC).

Last edited by GG-Xtreme; 10th January 2011 at 10:01.
GG-Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 10:30   #2  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG-Xtreme View Post
I assumed I could get around this using convertFPS in AviSynth through MeGUI, but it seems I can't even load the original .mkv's into MeGUI without "Direct Show Error: Unable to render the file. You probably don't have the correct filters installed".
Use FFmpegSource instead of DirectShowSource.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 14:49   #3  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Don't forget that you don't only have have to activate H.264 and AC3 decoding in ffdshow, but also install an MKV splitter like Haali's Media Splitter. Also note that using "ConvertFPS()" will not work, the source filter has to do the conversion (Or someone has to write a filter with timecode input, but I haven't seen any yet).

If you want to try FFMpegSource as suggested by nm:
FFVideoSource("video.mkv", fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001) #24000/1001~=23.978 fps, insert the framerate you need.

For DirectShowSource:
DirectShowSource("video.mkv", fps=24/1.001, convertfps=true)

/edit: forgot a quotation mark

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 6th January 2011 at 15:46.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 21:05   #4  |  Link
GG-Xtreme

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it another shot when I get home.
Old 10th January 2011, 09:03   #5  |  Link
GG-Xtreme

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy.

So I tried what sneaker_ger suggested, sticking with FFDshow. The result was great, except...
this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=158930

I am running into an even worse version of that problem: none of my videos will manually seek past 3:25 without crashing my Samsung Captivate (using ANY Android video player that relies on hardware acceleration). On top of that, none of my videos will play all the way through. At some random time in the video (different every single time), I get an error saying "Sorry, the video cannot be played", then the video frame freezes while the audio continues in the background.

The only difference between the videos giving me issues in the other thread and these videos is the converted fps in these videos (the ones in the other thread were already a constant 23.976fps) and the resolution (these vids are 640x480, the ones in my other thread were 800x450).

I'm very confused and lost, especially since I've only had seeking issues with videos I've encoded and muxed into MP4's using AviSynth and FFDshow (the original MKV's play and seek fine on my phone, although they will be out of sync if they are not 23.976 constant framerate). I've even tried 2 different computers for encoding and 2 different phones for playback

I'm going to give ffmpegsource a try and see if I get the same problems.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:01   #6  |  Link
GG-Xtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
Use FFmpegSource instead of DirectShowSource.
Thank you so much!

That did the trick in solving all my playback/seeking issues on my Android phone. It seems they were all caused by DirectShowSource for some reason.

Tags
avc, cfr, megui, unable to render the file, vfr