Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th February 2021, 18:04   #61281  |  Link
menac1ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
if its not even writing a MEMORY.DMP or MINIDUMP it suggests a hardware fault on some level but i have had this a couple of times way back in the past with my RX480 with a couple of driver packages where is would just restart the PC randomly with no dumps, so it is possible for a driver to cause this.

so it only happens in MADVR right?, have you definately done a full driver wipe or both NVIDA and AMD packages, you may still have some driver remnants from bother if you've had other cards installed.

so if you put the RX570 back in its ok?
The answer to all your questions is yes )
menac1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 22:31   #61282  |  Link
traykov77

Did you clock your ram speed or changed ram settings, I had crashes before and think that is videocard, but when I put ddr ram to 1333 instead of 1600Mhz I have no problems at all.
traykov77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 00:35   #61283  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by menac1ty View Post
The answer to all your questions is yes )

you reported similar issues march last year when you were overclocking a 970, have you clocked this one too?

have you tried installing a quick fresh OS build on spare hard drive to test your OS, could just be windows needs a fresh install.

does it do it in all players, have you tried both HC and BE, and KODI DS, or others?

are you running MADVR at stock settings after a nvidia full driver blitz?

Try removing MADVR completely and install it in another location on a different hard drive, ideally not OS drive just as a test.

I think i've had issues like this before a long time ago but I'm sure i managed to fixed them with a combination of driver / MADVR wipe, I did once have to refresh my OS but I cant remember exactly why that was, I think it was when I had issues upgrading from win8 to win10, I wiped at that stage.
Old 26th February 2021, 19:15   #61284  |  Link
biship

If I want my Nvidia GPU to do all the work, must I set LAF Video to one of the 2 DXVA2 options?

And then MADVR Image Scaling Options to DVXA2?

What about Chroma upscaling? I don't see a DXVA2 option there.
Old 26th February 2021, 20:40   #61285  |  Link
huhn

except for some very small exception madVR entirely runs on the GPU.

it "get" DXVA chroma scaling you either set it to bilinear and use DXVA image scaling or you use DXVA2 native decode with default trade quality for performance.
i highly recommend you to avoid DXVA2 native and DXVA "scaling" it's really bad.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 22:04   #61286  |  Link
biship

Oh ok, so If I use NGU Sharp, it'll still use my GPU?
I thought anything other than DXVA2 settings in MadVR was a CPU based algorithm.

Ah, I see how to change chroma scaling - thanks!
Old 27th February 2021, 00:19   #61287  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biship View Post
Oh ok, so If I use NGU Sharp, it'll still use my GPU?
I thought anything other than DXVA2 settings in MadVR was a CPU based algorithm.
Yes, NGU Sharp is run on the GPU, there are no CPU scaling algorithms in madVR.

DXVA2 uses the GPU's hardware scaling, which is very fast, but everything else uses the GPU's FP32 capabilities.

In madVR only black bar detection and IVTC runs on the CPU.
Old 1st March 2021, 16:01   #61288  |  Link
mclingo

Hio, turned my HTPC on today to find a really odd problem i've not seen before with MADVR and KODI DS, i'm posting here as its only MADVR that has this issue and its happening with all builds of KODI DS, DS and DS BG.

when I play a movie it plays but the movie is shifted to the right and not centered on screen, I also have no focus on the movie and I can see my KODI gui at the bottom and the focus is on that, its like windowed / FSE is all broken on my machine, it was working fine last night and nothing has changed, i've chucked everything at it bar a new windows build.

I've just done a system restore to yesterday which hasnt fixed it either suggesting it may not actually be my PC, its odd though, it only happens with MADVR and KODI DS, if I play the movie in MPC/HC /BE its fine, if a use the standard renderer in KODI DS its fine.

I've also tried wiping MADVR and using base settings, doesnt even work if I use a base MADVR/KODI DS install.

Any ideas?
Old 1st March 2021, 16:29   #61289  |  Link
mclingo

turned out to be an issue with the test build I was using, when I went back to stock .17 it was ok, very odd, its like MADSHI put a timeout lock in this build, it just stopped working, I thought it was working in MPC/BE and HC but they had both defaulted to standard renderer and MADVR wasnt loading at all, I had been just ignoring the UPDATE MADVR message, it cant be that though I guess, i've been using this 117 build for ages.

i'll try 118
Old 1st March 2021, 17:01   #61290  |  Link
mclingo

is latest 123b?
Old 1st March 2021, 17:16   #61291  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
is latest 123b?
Builds as of 114 have expiration dates.

They will start by popping up a message, and then later stop working.

Latest as of right now is build 128.

madshi said that he will always release a new build well before the previous build expires.

He also said if you want to run an expired build to just change your system clock. There are also ways to just change the system time that an individual program (madVR in this case thinks that it is).
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:41   #61292  |  Link
mclingo

ffs, I didnt know they were going to actually stop working, you'd think there would be a message saying MADVR is now disabled or something, plus he doesnt actually post the updates centrally anywhere, there is nothing on the MADVR website.
Old 2nd March 2021, 01:05   #61293  |  Link
VBB

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure128.zip

Latest test build. Keep that URL and simply check for newer builds every once in a while by changing the last digit.
Old 2nd March 2021, 01:39   #61294  |  Link
SamuriHL

Here's the thing....they aren't official builds. They are test builds meant to help improve the HDR tone mapping code. That is why they aren't listed anywhere but that particular thread. So while you can use them, they aren't necessarily meant for daily use. The timeout was put in place because madshi was concerned that companies were creating madvr HTPC's that they were selling to customers. That isn't what it was designed for. Please note I'm not arguing for or against, here, simply stating the information.
Old 2nd March 2021, 05:39   #61295  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
ffs, I didnt know they were going to actually stop working, you'd think there would be a message saying MADVR is now disabled or something, plus he doesnt actually post the updates centrally anywhere, there is nothing on the MADVR website.
They are posted in the 1 place they should be.

The HDR tone-mapping development thread as that is all they are meant for.

They are meant only for testing, not for daily use or general public consumption.

Last edited by SirMaster; 2nd March 2021 at 06:48.
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:11   #61296  |  Link
lanzorg

Is the latest test version working with Dolby Vision MKV files?
Some samples are available here: https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/
lanzorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:10   #61297  |  Link
haggis999

Best and quietest hardware configuration for madVR?

At the moment, I don't have a PC capable of running madVR at anything other than the most basic settings. I can't even use it to activate HDR when playing rips of my Planet Earth II UHD Blu-rays, which rather ruins the picture quality.

I'm now planning to buy a new PC and would appreciate guidance on what configuration would offer the best madVR performance without causing much fan noise. Would a GPU that's more powerful than madVR requires run more quietly than a lower powered GPU that just meets madVR's high end needs?

No doubt such matters have already been discussed in this forum, but I don't have the stamina to wade through 3066 pages
haggis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:10   #61298  |  Link
SamuriHL

No. And it's not likely to, either.
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:42   #61299  |  Link
SirMaster

It works fine with them. It just ignores the DV data and uses the HDR10 data.
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:50   #61300  |  Link
huhn

DV is not that simple the DV on UHD BD is backward compatible but DV in general doesn't have to be it can even use HLG or even SDR.

here is more "information":
https://web.archive.org/web/20200929...2019_09_16.pdf
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling