Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 3rd April 2016, 09:55   #221  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I've actually just added "writing_application" and "muxing_application" to the "container" section yesterday. They should both be available in the pre-builds. The "duration" has been present in the "container" section for a long time already. "date" isn't available yet, but I'll add it, again in the "container" section, albeit with a different format: I'll use ISO 8601.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:04   #222  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Pre-builds 01177 & higher contain the two new fields "date_utc" and "date_local".

Old 4th April 2016, 02:23   #223  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalasNetrag View Post
Enhancement request: Could you use a label at the bottom of the window, to signal that the demuxing was successful (instead of the popupbox) and use the popupbox for errors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpower2 View Post
I can't find a valid reason to change the default behavior. What use case do you have in mind?
That sounds like something I may have complained about.

I don't think the popup box was the problem for me as such, more that it creates an additional taskbar button if the GUI isn't in the foreground when the extraction finishes, but it doesn't when it is. I've returned to gMKVextract numerous times by clicking on it's taskbar button to find it's unresponsive until the penny drops and I hunt down the popup window. Could the original taskbar button be used to proclaim a job has completed successfully?
Would it also be possible to apply the "no popup" option to the job manager? With the job manager running it increases the taskbar button count to three.

I'm still using gMKVExtractGUI running on XP, if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 18:43   #224  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I've actually just added "writing_application" and "muxing_application" to the "container" section yesterday. They should both be available in the pre-builds. The "duration" has been present in the "container" section for a long time already. "date" isn't available yet, but I'll add it, again in the "container" section, albeit with a different format: I'll use ISO 8601.
Pre-builds 01177 & higher contain the two new fields "date_utc" and "date_local".
I've finished testing with the newest pre-build and now gMKVExtractGUI gets all the information it needs from mkvmerge!
I've also added gradual fallbacks, in order to be compatible with older versions.
New version will be fully compatible with versions v4.x and newer!

Thanks again Mosu for your continuous hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion
Can you please consider making another small UX enhancement and add a big "Close" button rightward of "Abort" one? Then after a job is done it would be convenient to move the mouse just a little from the previously pressed "Extract" button to exit the app without going all the way up to that small "X" or resorting to keyboard.

And maybe it would be also worth to allow a user to immediately paste a full filename into the "Input file" field and press Enter to load it without the need to open the "Browse..." dialog first.
I think that the main form has already too many buttons, so adding another one that doesn't actually add a new functionality is a "no go" at the moment, sorry...
As for the input text box, I have thought of that myself, but it would require adding yet another button and a lot of event handling complexity, so I decided to not go that way.
You can still drag and drop files on the text box or the check box list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon8
My only suggestion, but I'm not sure everyone agrees, would be to keep the sound signal. I was just lazy to click the popup, but I didn't mind the sound to tell me processing was over.
Indeed I was thinking about that myself, so I added it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
That sounds like something I may have complained about.

I don't think the popup box was the problem for me as such, more that it creates an additional taskbar button if the GUI isn't in the foreground when the extraction finishes, but it doesn't when it is. I've returned to gMKVextract numerous times by clicking on it's taskbar button to find it's unresponsive until the penny drops and I hunt down the popup window. Could the original taskbar button be used to proclaim a job has completed successfully?
Would it also be possible to apply the "no popup" option to the job manager? With the job manager running it increases the taskbar button count to three.

I'm still using gMKVExtractGUI running on XP, if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
I added the "popup" checkbox in the Job Manager form and a new setting for it.
However I won't change the form's title since it will become really messy really quickly. In Windows Vista and newer, gMKVExtractGUI uses the new taskbar features that show the current task's progress.
Please update to a newer version of Windows since Windows XP is already more than 15 years old and I'm not sure Mosu or myself will continue to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner
Great app, just wished I could reduce its height/width by quite a margin (current hardcoded minimum is too big imho).
I reduced the minimum size of the main form to 600x400 from 640x600. I believe that should cover it!
gpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 18:47   #225  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
I reduced the minimum size of the main form to 600x400 from 640x600. I believe that should cover it!
Thanks for this, but from 640x600 to 600x400 isn't quite enough, please allow 430x400 ? It's really the width that's an issue.
Old 5th April 2016, 18:58   #226  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Well, I changed the minimum size to 400x400 now, but I have to warn you that the layout of the "Actions" panel will be broken and I can't do much about it.

Next version will probably come along with the new version of MKVToolNix.
Old 5th April 2016, 19:19   #227  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Well, I changed the minimum size to 400x400 now, but I have to warn you that the layout of the "Actions" panel will be broken and I can't do much about it.
No worries whatsoever, thank you.

Quote:
Next version will probably come along with the new version of MKVToolNix.
oh, I hope it'll still work alongside the good'ol mkvtoolnix v8.3.0..
Old 5th April 2016, 19:39   #228  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
oh, I hope it'll still work alongside the good'ol mkvtoolnix v8.3.0..
Oh, it will! Next version will be compatible with all MKVToolNix versions from v4.x to v9.x+ !

I've tested the code against more than a 100 video files with more than 10 different versions of MKVToolNix, and managed to find some pretty nasty bugs and also added a lot of gradual fallbacks, in order to get the file information.

However, I strongly advise against using older versions, since Mosu was kind enough to provide us with all the necessary information with mknvmerge's output, so next MKVToolNix and gMKVExtractGUI will be blazing fast!
Old 23rd April 2016, 17:06   #229  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

gMKVExtractGUI v1.8.0

New version 1.8.0 is out and it has a lot of changes underneath! Thanks to Mosu, with MKVToolNix v9.1.0, gMKVExtractGUI is faster than ever in identifying all the necessary info from matroska files!
Extended tests with lots of different files also helped in solving some bugs and making the indentification progress more robust.
Finally, small UI fixes were made, either reported by you or found by me in my tests.

Download link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmk....0.7z/download

Changelog:
  • Change minimum size in main form
  • Play Windows Asterisk sound when success popup does not show
  • Make mkvinfo's output parsing more robust
  • Add parsing of mkvmerge's new output data (thanks Mosu!!!)
  • Add as many fallback mechanisms as possible, in order to maintain compatibility with older versions
  • Clear input file textBox in main form, when MKVToolNix path is changed
  • Clear status and progress bar in main form, when an error has occured during extraction and no popup was selected
  • Add new setting for showing popup message in success in job manager
  • Fix some UI issues in Job Manager form
  • Add a workaround for buggy output from mkvmerge in older versions (v4.0)
  • Changed the main form's minimum size to 400x400
  • Added horizontal scroll bar to mkv track list
  • Add job counter in the text of the jobs groupbox
  • Make Jobs Grid Columns Autofill

Enjoy people!
Old 23rd April 2016, 21:46   #230  |  Link
djcj

I had some problems with case sensitivity when I tried to build the latest version from source on Linux. The pre-built version doesn't run at all because of that.

Here's a patch that fixed it for me:
PHP Code:
--- a/gMKVExtractGUI.sln
+++ b/gMKVExtractGUI.sln
@@ -5,+5,@@

MinimumVisualStudioVersion 10.0.40219.1
 Project
("{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}") = "gMKVExtractGUI""gMKVExtractGUI\gMKVExtractGUI.csproj""{20EBEFF3-C838-4239-A236-EC055BF51398}"

EndProject
-Project("{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}") = "gMKVToolNix""gMKVToolnix\gMKVToolNix.csproj""{82FC8FA8-50C0-44FA-8801-80050C0ED89F}"
+Project("{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}") = "gMKVToolNix""gMKVToolnix\gMKVToolnix.csproj""{82FC8FA8-50C0-44FA-8801-80050C0ED89F}"

EndProject

Global

GlobalSection(SolutionConfigurationPlatforms) = preSolution
--- a/gMKVExtractGUI/gMKVExtractGUI.csproj
+++ b/gMKVExtractGUI/gMKVExtractGUI.csproj
@@ -122,+122,@@
     </
Compile>
   </
ItemGroup>
   <
ItemGroup>
-    <
ProjectReference Include="..\gMKVToolnix\gMKVToolNix.csproj">
+    <
ProjectReference Include="..\gMKVToolnix\gMKVToolnix.csproj">
       <
Project>{82fc8fa8-50c0-44fa-8801-80050c0ed89f}</Project>
       <
Name>gMKVToolNix</Name>
     </
ProjectReference>
--- 
a/gMKVExtractGUI/Program.cs
+++ b/gMKVExtractGUI/Program.cs
@@ -28,+28,@@
         {

Application.EnableVisualStyles();

Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false);
-            if (!
File.Exists(Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath"gMKVToolnix.dll")))
+            if (!
File.Exists(Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath"gMKVToolNix.dll")))
             {
-                
MessageBox.Show("The gMKVToolnix.dll was not found! Please download and reinstall gMKVExtractGUI!""An error has occured!"MessageBoxButtons.OKMessageBoxIcon.Error);
+                
MessageBox.Show("The gMKVToolNix.dll was not found! Please download and reinstall gMKVExtractGUI!""An error has occured!"MessageBoxButtons.OKMessageBoxIcon.Error);
             }
             else
             { 
edit:

It still works on Linux btw. but it can't read files with special chars like Ø, ä, é or ß in their filenames. I haven't checked if this is also the case on Windows.

Last edited by djcj; 23rd April 2016 at 22:08.
djcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 15:10   #231  |  Link
djcj

Checked it on Windows 10. There I have no problems with special chars.
djcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 08:22   #232  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

So sorry for the late reply!
I totally forgot that Linux likes its file system case sensitivity!
Working with Visual Studio and Windows makes you lazy sometimes!

Could you try latest revision (r113+) and see if it fixes your problems?

I also changed the locale in Linux from "C" to "en_US.UTF-8", in order to hopefully support special characters in filenames, so please check this also!

Thanks for all your support and feedback!
Old 27th April 2016, 08:36   #233  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Please note that you cannot rely on en_US.UTF-8 being available on Linux (you can't even rely on the file names being encoded in UTF-8; someone with an ancient system might still use e.g. ISO-8859-15 with a locale of de_DE@euro…). It is available on a lot of machines, yes, and UTF-8 is the de facto standard nowadays, yes, but neither is true for all machines. I've run into this with MKVToolNix myself.

The only sensible thing you can do (and what the usual applications actually do) is to retrieve the locale settings from the environment. The standard C library call for this is 'setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "");' which causes glibc to look at the environment variables LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LANG and to use the first one set. I know C# is not C or C++, but there should be something similar available.

Old 27th April 2016, 08:48   #234  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Hmm, I was sure I would run into troubles with this approach, but I hoped for the best!

The thing is, that I want to enforce mkvtoolnix to output its messages in english and not use the translations.
When I set LC_ALL, LANG and LC_MESSAGES to "C", it worked out just fine, but as djcj reported, it stopped accepting filenames with non standard characters.
Which environment should I change, in order to enforce english output in mkvtoolnix, without changing the current system locale?
Old 27th April 2016, 08:57   #235  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Hey,

Quote:
The thing is, that I want to enforce mkvtoolnix to output its messages in english and not use the translations.
That, at least, is trivial. Just add --ui-language en_US (no .utf-8 suffix) to any of the program's command line.

Quote:
When I set LC_ALL, LANG and LC_MESSAGES to "C"…
Yeah, messing with those is messy Just don't do it at all and only add the aforementioned arguments.

And if you're trying to achieve something with my tools that you don't immediately know how just ask I could have saved you the trouble

Old 27th April 2016, 09:06   #236  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
Hey,
That, at least, is trivial. Just add --ui-language en_US (no .utf-8 suffix) to any of the program's command line.
Oh, I wish that was the case...
This was what I used to do, until djcj reported that it didn't work. After reading mkvextract's manual (https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvextract.html) I noticed that you specifically say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvextract manual
It is preferable to use the environment variables LANG, LC_MESSAGES and LC_ALL though.
After changing these environment variables, the output messages were finally in English. You can see the conversation after this post: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...89#post1740289

Perhaps I should use 'en' for Windows and 'en_us' for Linux?

Quote:
Yeah, messing with those is messy Just don't do it at all and only add the aforementioned arguments.

And if you're trying to achieve something with my tools that you don't immediately know how just ask I could have saved you the trouble
Thanks for your continuous support!
Old 27th April 2016, 09:14   #237  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Oh, I wish that was the case...
It is the case. The values to use simply depend on the operating system in question. On Linux/Unix you'll have to use en_US and on Windows it's en or English (both should work). My tools use the same conventions for locale names as the operating system they're running on. They don't try to map Linux-specific locales (en_US) to Windows-specific ones (en) and vice versa.

I've just verified on both Linux and Windows that what I've written above is correct and works. On a German Windows using --ui-language en works (as does --ui-language English); on a Linux with LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8 using --ui-language en_US works.

Quote:
This was what I used to do, until djcj reported that it didn't work. After reading mkvextract's manual (https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvextract.html) I noticed that you specifically say:
That's outdated. I should really change that…

Old 27th April 2016, 09:23   #238  |  Link
gpower2
gMKVExtractGUI author

Quote:
It is the case. The values to use simply depend on the operating system in question. On Linux/Unix you'll have to use en_US and on Windows it's en or English (both should work). My tools use the same conventions for locale names as the operating system they're running on. They don't try to map Linux-specific locales (en_US) to Windows-specific ones (en) and vice versa.

I've just verified on both Linux and Windows that what I've written above is correct and works. On a German Windows using --ui-language en works (as does --ui-language English); on a Linux with LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8 using --ui-language en_US works.
That's actually great news! It's a much simpler solution and I already commited it to trunk!
Thanks again!

@djcj
You should try r115+!
Old 1st May 2016, 09:41   #239  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Please update to a newer version of Windows since Windows XP is already more than 15 years old and I'm not sure Mosu or myself will continue to support it.
MKVToolNix hasn't run on XP since version 7.8.0, so that's what I'm using. gMKVExtractGUI 1.8.0 seems to be working fine. There's probably little chance I'll ever upgrade XP on this PC. Maybe when I've played around with it more I'll switch to Linux, but other than that it'll be XP till it dies.
The PC's old. The next one will run Win7 until I'm hopefully comfortable switching to Linux and dumping Windows completely.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 11:02   #240  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
MKVToolNix hasn't run on XP since version 7.8.0, so that's what I'm using
XP compatibility of Mvktoolnix has been restored later.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extractor, gmkvextractgui, matroska, mkv, mkv extract, mkvextract, mkvextractgui