Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 28th November 2018, 19:19   #16341  |  Link
mdchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Post detailed PC spec (CPU , windows version (fully updated or not) and so on)
First machine:
Win10, 1809, fully patched, "refreshed" back to factory. Ripbot/encoding client was the first thing I loaded. 44 Cores, 16GB RAM, lots of storage.

Second machine:
Server 2019 DC, fully patched. Fresh install, 44 cores, 6GB RAM, lots of storage.

Third machine (works great on this one):
Win10, 1809, fully patched. TONS of software installed besides ripbot. 44 cores, 16+ GB RAM.

I've also tried toggling windows defender real time virus protection to make sure that's not an issue. Toggled the firewall off on all of them as well. The two machines it's failing on are both fresh installs so I wonder if there is some dependency I'm missing? I've installed AviSynthPlus-MT-r2728-with-vc_redist.exe which is all I've needed before...

Thanks!
mdchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 19:31   #16342  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Let me guess you have DUAL xeons running in UMA mode? If yes then It is known issue which I'm currently trying to fix. What happens if you activate NUMA mode in bios?

can you also show me how cpus are detected in Task Manager? Are they grouped or ungrouped like in this example example?

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 28th November 2018 at 20:14.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 20:02   #16343  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
So I'm still encountering this issue.

I rip a 4K disc to the hard drive that has seamless branching, such as Incredibles 2. I then use Ripbot to pull in the movie and process it. The output will have out of sync audio towards the end of the movie. I think this only happens on 4K discs that are towards 2 hours or longer.

The work around I've been doing is to use MakeMKV to create a video file from the same source and then pull that into Ripbot to process it and it comes out fine. Only caveat seems to be Ripbot throws and error when pulling in a mkv file that has a TrueHD stream in it.
Decoding Error
FFAudioSource: No audio track found
(D:\Temp\Ripbot264temp\Job1023\getinfo.avs, line 4)

So I create two MKVs, one with AC3 which Ripbot pulls in fine and is processed, and the other with TrueHD, that I mux in the TrueHD audio stream after the Ripbot finishes with the first file.
I have the same error when there are over 30 subs in the mkv file, check that
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 21:24   #16344  |  Link
mdchaser

Quote:
Let me guess you have DUAL xeons running in UMA mode? If yes then It is known issue which I'm currently trying to fix. What happens if you activate NUMA mode in bios?

can you also show me how cpus are detected in Task Manager? Are they grouped or ungrouped like in this example example?
They are actually a single NUMA node, I'm using a single E5-2699V4 CPU in each so everything should be stuck to the single NUMa node. In taskmanager it is detecting all 44 threads. The machine that is working is also on a 2699 without issue.
Old 29th November 2018, 01:21   #16345  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I have the same error when there are over 30 subs in the mkv file, check that
Have you tried TimeCodes?
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...es#post1849546
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 11:25   #16346  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
They are actually a single NUMA node, I'm using a single E5-2699V4 CPU in each so everything should be stuck to the single NUMa node. In taskmanager it is detecting all 44 threads. The machine that is working is also on a 2699 without issue.
Quote:
First machine:
Win10, 1809, fully patched, "refreshed" back to factory. Ripbot/encoding client was the first thing I loaded. 44 Cores, 16GB RAM, lots of storage.

Second machine:
Server 2019 DC, fully patched. Fresh install, 44 cores, 6GB RAM, lots of storage.

Third machine (works great on this one):
Win10, 1809, fully patched. TONS of software installed besides ripbot. 44 cores, 16+ GB RAM.
You said 44 cores so I assumed that you have dual E5-2699V4.
Old 29th November 2018, 11:30   #16347  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
I can't believe it's been just over a month since the last auto update

With exception of a newer version of Encoding Server, posted a couple of days ago, which I'm yet to try.
This is free Software. Atak is giving a lot of support for free.

So be patient. Updates come when they come and the only response then should be "Thank you"...
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 11:54   #16348  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
Thanks for uploading a new version! Unfortunately I have the same symptoms with the new one, it unloads silently and almost immediately. The old version still runs and seems to encode fine but neither machine likes the newer versions. I have run ripbot on both to make sure it runs and everything seems fine, I've also shut off the firewall but I can't imagine it has an effect on the program loading normally.

Thanks!

Jeff R.
And now?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1btksn...erver.exe/file
Old 29th November 2018, 12:56   #16349  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

I think it is time to get rid of hqdn3d denoise filter. I really do not like how this filter shifts content of the frame. KNLMeansCL does better job here. Open images in separate tabs and you will see what I mean.

Original frame

MDegrain2 + KNLMeansCL (strength=2)

MDegrain2 + hqdn3d (strength=8)

Another my conclusion is that KNLMeansCL is not very useful as standalone filter.
Original Frame
https://i.postimg.cc/JnR8rB49/org.png

MDegrain2
https://i.postimg.cc/brdKr0XF/mdegrain2.png

KNLMeansCL (default settings)
https://i.postimg.cc/PrgBf8S2/knlmeanscl.png

hqdn3d (Strength=8)
https://i.postimg.cc/7hy2Y9Tq/hqdn8.png

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 29th November 2018 at 13:29.
Old 29th November 2018, 13:19   #16350  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

About "shiftin content": Are you sure this is the same frame? Maybe its a little movement in the picture, since only lower parts of the picture seem to shift, the boots stay where they are... Maybe hgdn3d takes previous and following frames into account and therefore shifts frames in the time-domain - so the shown fram actually is the frame number +1... ?

KNLMeansCL: Whats Default Setting? In Ripbot, default here is "0" which seems to do nothing at all... "2" and above on the other hand shows clear load on the GPU and very visible noise removal in preview.
Old 29th November 2018, 13:25   #16351  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
About "shiftin content": Are you sure this is the same frame? Maybe its a little movement in the picture, since only lower parts of the picture seem to shift, the boots stay where they are... Maybe hgdn3d takes previous and following frames into account and therefore shifts frames in the time-domain - so the shown fram actually is the frame number +1... ?

KNLMeansCL: Whats Default Setting? In Ripbot, default here is "0" which seems to do nothing at all... "2" and above on the other hand shows clear load on the GPU and very visible noise removal in preview.
I'm 100% sure that frame is the same. Here another example
https://i.postimg.cc/7hy2Y9Tq/hqdn8.png

Default settings for KNLMeansCL are d=1, a=2, s=4, h=1.2

The main problem with KNLMeansCL is that it applies blurring blindly to all areas! Take a look at the jacket.

Screenshots in 1080p (postimage automatically resizes images to 720p)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/u32ez...oisers.7z/file

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 29th November 2018 at 13:34.
Old 29th November 2018, 13:34   #16352  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Object Shifting: I was referring to the cartoon screenshots, not the live-movie scene

Default settings in Ripbot for Setting "2" here is: video,d=1, a=2, s=4, h=2 ... ???

live-szene from movie: Blurring: Yes, You are right, it takes away some details on the darker part of the jacket... On the other hand: medegrain changes the contrast ratio of some shadows in the picture. Look at the dark parts of the wood in the background - the contrast is significantly lower in these parts - if you change very quickly between orig/degrain you see it... Do the same with nlmeans/orig - the picture overal is more "original"
Old 29th November 2018, 13:38   #16353  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Object Shifting: I was referring to the cartoon screenshots, not the live-movie scene

Default settings in Ripbot for Setting "2" here is: video,d=1, a=2, s=4, h=2 ... ???

live-szene from movie: Blurring: Yes, You are right, it takes away some details on the darker part of the jacket... On the other hand: medegrain changes the contrast ratio of some shadows in the picture. Look at the dark parts of the wood in the background - the contrast is significantly lower in these parts - if you change very quickly between orig/degrain you see it... Do the same with nlmeans/orig - the picture overal is more "original"
Detail retention is MUCH more important than some slight changes in contrast. MDegrain2 is overall much more "intelligent" denoiser than KNLMeansCL. I really do not like when denoising is applied to whole frame regardless of the motion.

PS. Shifting in HQDn3d always occurs regardless of the content. Check yourself if you do not believe me.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 29th November 2018 at 13:40.
Old 29th November 2018, 14:51   #16354  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
PS. Shifting in HQDn3d always occurs regardless of the content. Check yourself if you do not believe me.
From first glance, it might have been that these are two different frames, since the moving of the object is not everywhere in the frames. There are NR Filters out there which work on the temporal domain and therefore rely on previous frames and introduce a time-offset of some frames. So it could have been possible that after segmented encoding HQDN3D misses a frame or adds one, so the video gets "shifted" forth or back about one frame..

This was my assumption - I´ve seen this a lot - thats why I asked about the frames.

Quick tests with HQDN3D showed no object moving here - but that doesn´t prove anything, maybe the source just didn`t lead to this behaviour, others would...

It has nothing to do with "not beleiving" The shift is obvious in your screenshots.
Old 29th November 2018, 16:36   #16355  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
he always come thru with flying colours
He really does...I've dealt with several devs on other forums and lets just say their first reaction isn't how can I help you but how are you doing things wrong...and 5 days later I find a nice update without comment from them.
So yes, RipBot is awesome.
Old 29th November 2018, 16:38   #16356  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
I think it is time to get rid of hqdn3d denoise filter. I really do not like how this filter shifts content of the frame. KNLMeansCL does better job here. Open images in separate tabs and you will see what I mean.
I agree with these conclusions
If you're doing older cartoons, have you considered a line sharpening filter and/or a line darking filter?
I use a few depending on the situation.
Old 29th November 2018, 22:22   #16357  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
Why should I?
Is it rellevant to this error?
Code:
FFAudioSource: No audio track found
(D:\Temp\Ripbot264temp\Job1023\getinfo.avs, line 4)
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 01:51   #16358  |  Link
mdchaser

Quote:
You said 44 cores so I assumed that you have dual E5-2699V4.
My bad, I used the wrong nomenclature. That would be 44 threads, not cores. Each system is running a single 22 core cpu (2699V4) with a single numa node for the entire system. I just built a third system today and have the same results, double click the encodingserver.exe file and windows just looks at you funny . I have been able to do some encoding using an old file from late 2017, it seems to work fine with the current ripbot version.

Thanks!

Jeff R.
Old 30th November 2018, 01:58   #16359  |  Link
mdchaser

Quote:
Brilliant, that did it! Encodingserver.exe now starts up on every system I try it on, thank you! I will definitely be donating again this Christmas.

Thanks!
Old 1st December 2018, 07:54   #16360  |  Link
burt123

Recommended media player for 4K

Hey guy's,

I would be interested to hear your comments on which media player software you use & recommended for 4K playback on, of course, a 4K monitor.

I have been using VLC for years, but I have come to realise that it doesn't seem to be "up for the job", and even tho there are fix's out there, they don't seem to fix it (stuttery playback).

I also tried PowerDVD, and it seems ok on some files, but not all

So I did a Google, and that revealed a few good players :-

MPC-HC (that Atak uses within Ripbot) (seems to play 4K very well on a non 4K monitor)

MPV (haven't really tested this one, yet)

Potplayer (also seems to play 4K very well on a non 4K monitor)

So I've probably answered my own question, but would be interested what other's use

Cheers
burt123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360