Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 9th July 2020, 08:16   #1  |  Link
loninapleton

Synchronize the subtitle and image in VLC

My head is spinning on this. I look at out of sync subtitles and don't if I'm coming or going. These are so out of whack on this piece-- and a foreign language of course -- that I can't navigate the delay options in VLC. The keyboard keys of G and H move the delays plus or minus. But I've had no success and frankly don't know forward from backward.

So I did this: I started the movie. The first spoken lines on audio are at 00:01:40,000 seconds after a lot of production screens. I could find a more accurate timestamp if I extract the audio and put that in Audacity.

I extracted the subtitle to an SRT using Inviska from MKVtoolnix. The extracted subtile text shows first spoken line at : 00:00:50,138.

So what is the direction plus or minus on the subtitle keys? And how much in milliseconds?

It looks like a 50 second difference which would mean an adjustment of 5000 milliseconds.

I don't know up from down on the procedure.
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 12:51   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

No idea on what you are asking [I dont mess with vlc subs] but ,
Quote:
It looks like a 50 second difference which would mean an adjustment of 5000 milliseconds.
Maybe
It looks like a 50 second difference which would mean an adjustment of 50,000 milliseconds.
(1 second is 1000 milliseconds)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 16:26   #3  |  Link
loninapleton

Just another element of my lack of understanding. The steps are in 50 ms. Microseconds? If other players like Daum have other features I don't know what they are. And it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere if you've not used the system.

I will try a workaround but it's more tedious: Use the features of MKVtoolnix to the subs only and see if that 5000 increment is at least noticeable.

Since this is a common problem I wanted to know also if this is a good method of tracing what is needed. I've never tried to do a trace like this before.

Positive or negative "delay" is confusing to me.
Old 9th July 2020, 22:32   #4  |  Link
loninapleton

This must have been covered long ago but I'm just doing it for the first time
in numbers rather than guessing.

The increment for VLC subtitle adjust is milliseconds not micro.
If everything is converted into that, you subtract one from the other. Then
you can use the keyboard tools to make changes. Even if the number looks pretty big, ms is the increment of adjustment.

When I had that I made a sample in MKVtoolnix. On their setup screens
you can 1.) select the subtitle in the display box of screen one. Then 2.) in my case I had to enter minus 11200. In MKV toolnix, that is a permanent fix. Even so I had to fine tune a bit in proofing the new MKV