Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st July 2008, 01:18   #1  |  Link
nitricpyro

Told not to use DVD Shrink

I'm attempting to find a better method of converting my movies (and bonus material) into DivX encoded files on my media center PC.

Since I'm trying to get all the material I usually do an ISO or "Full Disk" rip of the DVD. (DVDFab 5 or RipIt4Me) However, the only program I am aware of that will allow me to easily find, organize and export specific things, I.e. Movie in Widescreen, Movie in Fullscreen, Interview with director etc. is DVD Shrink. It's easy to use interface and it's easy to see directory structure allows me to "Create a folder" with the files for that peticular video in them. It also allows me to export the movie and extra material into single VOB files that VirtualDubMod and other programs like.

I have had a lot of audio/video sync issues using DVD Shrink even though I'm ripping the files with the latest version of DVDFab 5 and RipIt4Me. DVD Shrink will play the videos (as well as in the preview window of DVDFab5) perfectly with no sync errors, but as soon as I import them into VirtualDubMod I get delays or sync issues.

Can anyone suggest an alternative program to DVD Shrink and VirtualDubMod that has the same ease of use and functionality that won't introduce sync issues?
nitricpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 01:26   #2  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitricpyro View Post
as soon as I import them into VirtualDubMod I get delays or sync issues.

Can anyone suggest an alternative program to DVD Shrink and VirtualDubMod that has the same ease of use and functionality that won't introduce sync issues?
VirtualDubMod does not honor pulldown flags and that can be a reason for your sync errors. I doubt that DVD Shrink is the source of your problems, especially since you say the shrunk VOB plays in sync.

Try a decoding solution that gives you complete control of pulldown flags and how they are handled, such as DGMPGDec.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 02:42   #3  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Try a decoding solution that gives you complete control of pulldown flags and how they are handled, such as DGMPGDec.
I originally started with Gordian Knot and am familiar with Pulldown Flags (as in, sometimes you use them, sometimes you force film but that's it), can you point me to a guide?
Old 1st July 2008, 03:02   #4  |  Link

Sorry, I don't use "guides". I figure out what is going on and then make the right decisions myself.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 03:18   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

This is essentially a repeat of your posting at:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=139122

Until you've cleaned up your system, it's really not fair to ask members to help you solve this problem...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 04:54   #6  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
This is essentially a repeat of your posting at:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=139122

Until you've cleaned up your system, it's really not fair to ask members to help you solve this problem...
Yes, I guess it is, I wasn't aware that it was going to be that way though. You told me not to use DVD Shrink so in one post I was looking for alternative ways to modify my VOBs and why DVD Shrink shouldn't be used, and in the others I'm looking to understand the reasoning behind one program being able to play a video in sync and what's happening when it's being encoded that it changes. The introduction of Pulldown Flags definantly brought these two topics together.

How do I close a thread?

Last edited by nitricpyro; 1st July 2008 at 05:06.
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:33   #7  |  Link
howerson

I think you can try E.M. Free DVD Copy(freeware), mabye this tool can help you.
howerson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd shrink, ripit4me, sync, virtualdubmod