Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 28th February 2013, 07:26   #1  |  Link
xingyanchao

x264vfw on notebook with "slow" preset casued frames "jump" back and forth

I wasted a lot of time on this issue:
while compressing the 720*576 video with x264vfw (set to 300kbps) on my notebook (TravelMate 6292), it seemed that the frames often jumped back and forth -- if you just moved from left to right, the result would be that you ofen moved back to the left then to the right.
At first I doubted there was some frame sequence problem, but checked with the mkvinfo.exe, everything appeared normal.
Then I use the x264.exe to compress the raw video data, the result was fine, BUT the time it took was longer than the video clip.
So I guess the real reason should be that my notebook could not work fast enough, then the buffer for output was not updated when we need to output a frame.
Obviously, the visual result is annoying, how could I solve this problem, say -- keep the last frame if the new frame is not ready yet?
Thanks for help!

Sam
xingyanchao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 07:58   #2  |  Link
Warperus

Disable B frames in x264vfw settings. If it will resolve "jumps", your problem resides in player+coder combination and hacks for b frames in avi container.
Try it out, please and tell us what player you are using and how you encode your video.
Warperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 17:26   #3  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Newer x264 VfW has an option to dump the frames directly into a MKV file, thus bypassing VfW and the AVI muxer.

You can try that and see if it resolves your issue. You could of course also use one of the man x264 GUI's that don't use VfW at all

Tags
speed, x264, x264vfw