Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 24th August 2011, 02:47   #1  |  Link
W3ird_N3rd

Trouble deinterlacing cartoons

In this case, because it's the stuff from my youth, I'm trying to make some nice encodes from Ducktales (from the NTSC DVDs).

From what I understand, the 29.97fps DVD source should just be telecined 24fps (at least, that should be a general rule of thumb for cartoons, don't know about Ducktales). And I would really like to put it back to 24fps and get a nice, crisp, progressive image.

But I'm not having much success. I'm using Avidemux and Decomb Telecide + Decomb Decimate filters. I've figured out I should use "Postproc on best match" or nothing will happen, but especially frames with little movement don't get deinterlaced. I've also tried "Try backward > if still combed".

I have fidled with the thresholds, but I guess I'm not doing it right. Also at times it seems the wrong field gets used to complete the frame.

Here is a short sample: http://www.4shared.com/video/LjENCTnm/sample.html

I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to convert this to progressive properly.

[edit]
A quick test seems to indicate mencoder -vf pullup,softskip does the job. I wonder why avidemux didn't work, but I'll just use mencoder!

Last edited by W3ird_N3rd; 25th August 2011 at 02:53.
W3ird_N3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avidemux, cartoon, deinterlace