Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 13th October 2019, 22:57   #23641  |  Link
orion44
None

What was the last version of LAV Filters that supported Windows XP with Service Pack 2?
orion44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 23:42   #23642  |  Link
el Filou

https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFil.../CHANGELOG.txt
Last release to support XP was 0.70.2, no idea exactly what nightly build between that one and 0.71.0 removed support.
Edit: it needs SP3. I really have no idea why so many people insist on running an even older Service Pack on an already obsolete OS.

Last edited by el Filou; 13th October 2019 at 23:49.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 10:52   #23643  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Soon has come *rubs hands*
Indeed, I have pushed an updated dav1d library.
Old 14th October 2019, 11:13   #23644  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
LAVFilters-0.74.1-21...24.
Players (MPC-BE, MPC-HC) freeze after pressing the stop button when playing YouTube videos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Confirmed.
Please try again with the updates I pushed just now (tomorrows nightly, or your own builds).
Old 14th October 2019, 11:17   #23645  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
I have one additional request. Could you please add support for "font/collection" and/or extension .ttc (.TTC) as AV_CODEC_ID_TTF? A ttc file is already working when attached as "application/x-truetype-font", but afaik its standard Media Type is font/collection. TTC files are used commonly in a few countries.
I have added the collection type in the latest ffmpeg update, thanks!
Old 14th October 2019, 11:32   #23646  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Indeed, I have pushed an updated dav1d library.
Thanks, been a bit of talk about this release, this places AV1 into prime time.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 15:47   #23647  |  Link
tiresias

I have a couple of questions about the LAV video decoder's "Hardware decoder to use" setting.

If a hardware decoder setting such as DXVA2 native or DXA2 copy-back had been selected and saved, what does the LAV video decoder do if the actual hardware is no longer available - say it has been removed or the driver becomes disabled/faulty ?

Does the LAV video decoder just fall back gracefully and silently to software decoding (equivalent to the "none" setting), or does it get into an error state ?

Also, if I understand correctly, the D3D11 setting is just for use with the MadVR renderer which can use DX11. With the D3D11 setting saved, what does the decoder do if it is connected to a renderer than can only do DX9 (such as EVR) - does it drop back to software, or DXVA2 native, or DXVA copy-back or something else?
tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 16:07   #23648  |  Link
clsid

If a previously used GPU is no longer available, it will simply pick the first available one.

D3D11 decoder also works with D3D9 renderers. But it will work in copyback mode.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 16:37   #23649  |  Link
tiresias

Quote:
If a previously used GPU is no longer available, it will simply pick the first available one.
Thanks. So if for some crazy reason it can't successfully use a GPU, will it always drop back to software mode rather than abort with error?
Old 14th October 2019, 16:45   #23650  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresias View Post
Thanks. So if for some crazy reason it can't successfully use a GPU, will it always drop back to software mode rather than abort with error?
If your selected GPU is not usable, it'll use the primary GPU, and if thats also not capable of decoding, it should switch to software.

Do note however that fallback from DXVA2-Native to software is a bit limited in some situations, but in this case when the GPU isn't usable at all, it should probably manage.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:52   #23651  |  Link
huhn

it will use software in this case with no error code which is equivalent to none.

madVR runs in d3d9 it only accepts the frame from d3d11 and has limitations with it. mpc VR has "full" d3d11 scaling and even deinterlacing works too and it is a d3d11 renderer.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 16:54   #23652  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
mpc VR has "full" d3d11 scaling and even deinterlacing works too and it is a d3d11 renderer.
Which is nice, but doesn't really matter. The other capabilities of a renderer is where it counts.
Old 14th October 2019, 17:15   #23653  |  Link
huhn

sorry i have to disagree it matters if you can play interlaced content or not.
the more renderer that support this completely the better so hopefully madVR joins in and gives it the support it deserves.
not a problem in lavfilter anyway which is important here.
Old 14th October 2019, 18:15   #23654  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
D3D11 decoder also works with D3D9 renderers. But it will work in copyback mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
MadVR runs in d3d9 it only accepts the frame from d3d11 and has limitations with it.
mpc VR has "full" d3d11 scaling and even deinterlacing works too and it is a d3d11 renderer.
Which are the D3D11 renderers that work with LAV's D3D11VA decoder in native mode ?
MadVR only ?
Is there any MS renderer of latest Win10 compatible with LAV's native D3D11VA decoding ?
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 18:23   #23655  |  Link
huhn

wrong thread.

mpcVR supports it (even in d3d9 mode it uses native just like madVR) with d3d11 processing but it's still yung and madVR only accept the image from it and uses d3d9 after that.

no clue about the rest.
Old 14th October 2019, 19:26   #23656  |  Link
NikosD

mpcVR ?
I missed that project!
Very interesting as I read now and kudos to @Aleksoid1978.

Does it currently work only using MPC-BE and its internal filters ?
Could someone install it and use it with MPC-HC and internal LAV filters ?
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 19:47   #23657  |  Link
huhn

why don't you ask them in the mpc-be thread? for some reason they post new version in that thread not in a new one.
it's fully supported in mpc-be.
you can make it work in mpc-hc (i personally test it in there) but some feature don't work they need player support.

d3d11 native decode works perfectly with mpc VR so lavfilter is supported.

using mpc-be with lavfilter is pretty normal lavfilter simply has a bigger feature level.

in the end it is directshow and so it should work fine with ffdshow too.
Old 14th October 2019, 23:56   #23658  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
I have added the collection type in the latest ffmpeg update, thanks!
Thanks a lot! Though perhpas these additional supports are superficial and trivial for developers, I really appreciate it.

(Background) Historically there were no official mime types for fonts, but lately they were officially registered as CSS @font-face has become so common. The mime type changes (legacy -> standard) are causing subtle problems, since embedded fonts are recognized by their mime types stored in MKVs. Players that can't handle new mime types can't show styled subs properly, in the worst case subs being totally unreadable!
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 17:05   #23659  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Please try again with the updates I pushed just now (tomorrows nightly, or your own builds).
I checked LAVFilters-0.74.1-28. I could not cause freezing after pressing the Stop button. Thank.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2019, 18:29   #23660  |  Link
tiresias

Thanks for the clarification about the hardware decoder option.

I've been doing some more searching, and found some info specifically about the "DXVA2 native" and "DXVA2 copy-back" settings which I would like to clarify. Can I just run this by you for comments on what is right or wrong in the following statements:

If you are using the standard Windows EVR then it sounds like the best choice is probably "DXVA2 native" or "DXVA2 copy-back".

The setting "DXVA2 native" can only be used where the video decoder is connected directly to the renderer.

If there is a filter between the decoder and the renderer (or there is no renderer because we are outputting to a file) then "DXVA2 native" will drop back to software decoding.

If "DXVA2 copy-back" is selected, then you CAN use a filter between the decoder and the renderer and there is no drop back to software.

More recent GPUs are able to copy from video memory to system memory fast, so that there should not be a performance penalty in always selecting "DXVA2 copy-back" instead of "DXVA2 native" whether connecting directly to a renderer or not, or outputting to a file.

So, of the two settings, "DXVA2 copy-back" should always be selected, except that for OLDER GPUs that are slower to copy from video memory to system memory then selecting "DXVA2 native" may be more responsive when connected directly to a renderer.

Where "DXVA2 copy-back" is selected, regardless of whether the decoder is connected directly to the renderer or not, the decoder will use the first GPU that it finds to do the decoding, which might not be the same GPU that the renderer uses. In that case, is there a performance penalty or other problems where the decoder is using a different GPU to the renderer?

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter