Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2019, 01:04   #341  |  Link
imhh11

Many thanks! exactly what I was looking for
Old 30th March 2019, 23:34   #342  |  Link
Natty
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
The tools number increased from 100 to 200 (mostly filters) which should have a impact since for every operation it checks for problems including if any of the tools report a problem.
confirmed, its caused by too many files in my plugin+ folders and tools bundled in stax.

sometimes stax progress window disappears while encoding.. anyway to restore it??

Edit 1: Issue Fixed

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...ocess-explorer

Last edited by Natty; 31st March 2019 at 11:07.
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:18   #343  |  Link
jlw_4049

Failed to load script.

Cannot load a 32 bit DLL in 64 bit Avisynth: 'C:/Program Files (x86)/AviSynth/plugins/AddGrainC.dll'.
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:34   #344  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
Failed to load script.

Cannot load a 32 bit DLL in 64 bit Avisynth: 'C:/Program Files (x86)/AviSynth/plugins/AddGrainC.dll'.
What are you doing?
StaxRip2.0 has the AddGrainC.dll 64bit version onboard!
If you are using custom scripts make sure to load the desired 64bit plugins from either your StaxRip Avisynth folder or from the autoload Avisynth 64 (+)folder.
Never ever try to mix 32 with 64bit plugins
except you know what you're doing.
Old 4th April 2019, 12:20   #345  |  Link
stax76

@Revan

I thought I can improve the drawing performance in the preview and was able to draw with WPF but it wasn't faster, there are ways to make it faster but it's difficult to code unless you are an expert in video processing and video rendering and probably not worth the time it would need to build and it's not only the drawing that lacks but also frame servers have much slower seek performance than players, it probably has to do with frame accuracy and overhead that cannot be avoided in frame servers.

I could still find a major bottleneck when avisynth is used however, this is where it's at:

https://github.com/Revan654/staxrip/...ckage.vb#L2076

I don't remember if there is a good reason why I used GetFullScript here, I made some tests and it looks like it's not needed, replacing GetFullScript with GetScript is twenty times faster.

Last edited by stax76; 4th April 2019 at 13:07.
Old 4th April 2019, 22:04   #346  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
@Revan

I thought I can improve the drawing performance in the preview and was able to draw with WPF but it wasn't faster, there are ways to make it faster but it's difficult to code unless you are an expert in video processing and video rendering and probably not worth the time it would need to build and it's not only the drawing that lacks but also frame servers have much slower seek performance than players, it probably has to do with frame accuracy and overhead that cannot be avoided in frame servers.

I could still find a major bottleneck when avisynth is used however, this is where it's at:

https://github.com/Revan654/staxrip/...ckage.vb#L2076

I don't remember if there is a good reason why I used GetFullScript here, I made some tests and it looks like it's not needed, replacing GetFullScript with GetScript is twenty times faster.
Was WPF being brought into StaxRip or was this just a separate WPF control? It could be the WinForm host adding to the bottlenecking.

I know, I changed a few lines in preview class, Which did improve performance. I think it was that image font icon with one or more of the buttons. I'll take a look at that change, I jsut havn't had much time to do anything with StaxRip due to my other project has been eat up all my time.

Last edited by Revan654; 4th April 2019 at 22:06.
Old 4th April 2019, 23:51   #347  |  Link
stax76

It was a WPF custom control hosted in winforms, WPF has a interop method to convert a System.Drawing.Bitmap to a WPF BitmapSource which was used as source for a WPF Image. Not was it only slow but it was also leaking memory and both problems were already described by other people.

When I made this experiment I didn't know that it's not a problem to create a WPF window from a winforms window, I tried it today (because mpv.net is also a mix of winforms and WPF) and it just works according to my first test, the documentation always describes only hosting controls and there isn't a WPF window template in a winforms project.

The reason why I probably give up here is because the seeking part is already very slow regardless of which frame server or source filter is used so it don't matter too much that drawing makes it more slower. Also many people that encode have very fast systems so it's bearable for them.

Lucky for you that you have a project. :-), I'd like to build something but don't know really what, being mostly happy with all software I use.
Old 5th April 2019, 17:33   #348  |  Link
ABurns

I've just started playing with the buttons and knobs on this, and I'm looking at this as a potential alternative to meGUI 1-click. I have a quick question about a few things that seem a little opaque.

How does this detect and deal with hard 3:2 telecine and other types of interlacing? The vast majority of my rips are DVD TV shows, and the problem with TV is that even within a single disc there can be both soft and hard telecine material, so each episode has to be scanned individually for that. Is there an auto-IVTC capability?
Old 7th April 2019, 12:58   #349  |  Link
stax76

@ABurns

It hasn't any detection and automatic handling for this type of source I'm afraid.

@Revan654

Three things I noticed opening a The Orville episode, .eac3 is demuxed as .mka, .srt is demuxed without file extension, the processing window goes to the background instead of staying in the foreground.
Old 12th April 2019, 18:30   #350  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
It was a WPF custom control hosted in winforms, WPF has a interop method to convert a System.Drawing.Bitmap to a WPF BitmapSource which was used as source for a WPF Image. Not was it only slow but it was also leaking memory and both problems were already described by other people.

When I made this experiment I didn't know that it's not a problem to create a WPF window from a winforms window, I tried it today (because mpv.net is also a mix of winforms and WPF) and it just works according to my first test, the documentation always describes only hosting controls and there isn't a WPF window template in a winforms project.

The reason why I probably give up here is because the seeking part is already very slow regardless of which frame server or source filter is used so it don't matter too much that drawing makes it more slower. Also many people that encode have very fast systems so it's bearable for them.

Lucky for you that you have a project. :-), I'd like to build something but don't know really what, being mostly happy with all software I use.
You could port Staxrip to WPF in C#. using MVVM Patterns. That would be a massive undertaking to port it over. Not everything that exist in VB works in C#.

I did a real quick mock up what codec window could be like using WPF. It uses MVVM Pattern with the whole View -> ViewModel <-> Model design.

I just threw this together in a few seconds just for an example.

WPF memory usage is very hard to judge(With memory leak you can force call GC.Collection & Finalizer).

Others who have built Video Encoders using WPF at idle it sits around around 100 to 200 from my experience.

Another way would be to create some sort of wrapper with would allow you to build the viewer in any coding you wish all the way up to C++.
Old 12th April 2019, 18:34   #351  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
@ABurns

It hasn't any detection and automatic handling for this type of source I'm afraid.

@Revan654

Three things I noticed opening a The Orville episode, .eac3 is demuxed as .mka, .srt is demuxed without file extension, the processing window goes to the background instead of staying in the foreground.
That is tied to MediaInfo bug from what I recall. If you revert back to an earlier build like from 2018 / 2017, it will work perfectly. Not 100% sure what was changed in MediaInfo code to create this issue. I did report it to MediaInfo devs but it doesn't seem like there interested in fix that issue right now. After all it took them over year+ about to fix the HDR issue I reported the previous year.
Old 12th April 2019, 18:38   #352  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABurns View Post
I've just started playing with the buttons and knobs on this, and I'm looking at this as a potential alternative to meGUI 1-click. I have a quick question about a few things that seem a little opaque.

How does this detect and deal with hard 3:2 telecine and other types of interlacing? The vast majority of my rips are DVD TV shows, and the problem with TV is that even within a single disc there can be both soft and hard telecine material, so each episode has to be scanned individually for that. Is there an auto-IVTC capability?
Automation for source scanned is not part of StaxRip core, you can build a script to detect the source and alter the filters when certain params are detected.

Like with the sample script it enables deinterlacing if the source is interlaced. by default these scripts are disabled.
Old 13th April 2019, 22:53   #353  |  Link
Natty
Noob

some features which are needed. please do if possible.

1- encoding of more than 2 audios in case of file batch (~20 files)

2- muxing of all subs in same case as above.

3- selection of different filter, encoding settings for few files in batch.
Old 14th April 2019, 21:57   #354  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
some features which are needed. please do if possible.

1- encoding of more than 2 audios in case of file batch (~20 files)

2- muxing of all subs in same case as above.

3- selection of different filter, encoding settings for few files in batch.
1. Already Exists(Inside the Container Option).

2. Already exists(Inside the Container Option).

3. This is basically Apply filter to x queues. This would basically need a profile filter system, then apply that given profile to the x project.
Old 14th April 2019, 22:01   #355  |  Link
Natty
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
1. Already Exists(Inside the Container Option).

2. Already exists(Inside the Container Option).

3. This is basically Apply filter to x queues. This would basically need a profile filter system, then apply that given profile to the x project.
i know about container tab. for single file its easy. i am talking about batch files. example there are 20 files with 5 audios each. i would like to encode 1st audio at q100 tvbr in qaac and rest 4 in he-aac cvbr. how to do that in case of batch?
Old 15th April 2019, 06:15   #356  |  Link
Lynx_TWO

Ability to export, and encode from, an image sequence

Hello!

One thing that is currently missing is the ability to export an image sequence instead of simply encoding to a different format. This would be extremely useful to be able to use the power of QTGMC to deinterlace a video, export all frames as a numbered sequence, then use Gigapixel AI to upscale and denoise the images as a batch process, finally encoding them from the image sequence back to a video. This could be great for older shows, especially animation.

Topaz Gigapixel AI v4.0.3 supports JPG, JPEG, TIF, TIFF, and PNG formats. The software can also convert to different color profiles: sRGB, ProPhoto RGB, AdobeRGB, AppleRGB, and Wide-GamutRGB. Not that it's useful for video but worth mentioning.

The software also reliably re-imagines detail from the original source up to 6x. For a 720x480 video, that would be 4,320x2,880, downsized to HD would really make it pop...

Thanks!!
Attached Images

Old 16th April 2019, 09:35   #357  |  Link
Z'Hadum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
Hello!

One thing that is currently missing is the ability to export an image sequence instead of simply encoding to a different format. This would be extremely useful to be able to use the power of QTGMC to deinterlace a video, export all frames as a numbered sequence, then use Gigapixel AI to upscale and denoise the images as a batch process, finally encoding them from the image sequence back to a video. This could be great for older shows, especially animation.

Topaz Gigapixel AI v4.0.3 supports JPG, JPEG, TIF, TIFF, and PNG formats. The software can also convert to different color profiles: sRGB, ProPhoto RGB, AdobeRGB, AppleRGB, and Wide-GamutRGB. Not that it's useful for video but worth mentioning.

The software also reliably re-imagines detail from the original source up to 6x. For a 720x480 video, that would be 4,320x2,880, downsized to HD would really make it pop...

Thanks!!
I saw the example for DS9 - it is realy cool stuff.
(if we get a Babylon 5 upscale it would be fantastic )

But I think this is outside the topic by staxrip.

Best would be if it would be possible to integrate the Gigapixel-AI as a filter into the process.
But afaik there is no api (yet?) for this....
May be something you should ask to the Gigapixel developers?
Old 16th April 2019, 16:54   #358  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z'Hadum View Post
I saw the example for DS9 - it is realy cool stuff.
(if we get a Babylon 5 upscale it would be fantastic )

But I think this is outside the topic by staxrip.

Best would be if it would be possible to integrate the Gigapixel-AI as a filter into the process.
But afaik there is no api (yet?) for this....
May be something you should ask to the Gigapixel developers?
If the filter / API does not exist inside of already existing VS / AVS / DX / GDI. It can not be added. There are limitations of what the drawer can do. I also don't want to stack more resources on top of the drawer, since it already struggles with higher resolutions. There has been some improvement to the preview window recently which should help in the long run.

outputting a small range of images in the current state shouldn't be to hard, since it just needs a loop and stack the image encoder inside of that.

Allot of reference software and such that is written in C++, not VB / C# with .net Framework. Again there are limitations, Where C++ doesn't really many, since C++ is pure machine code.

---

With Upscaling software there are limitations, You upscale the size and such, but what some may fail to notice is the finer details are usually removed. Like a small pattern on the wall or on the persons clothing. It's removed or flatten, it's sometimes hard to notice without comparing the two.

Then you can introduce other problems into the picture as well like artifacts(Which is very common on upscaling) and aliasing.

This is a double edge sword situation.
Old 17th April 2019, 01:20   #359  |  Link
Lynx_TWO

Ability to export, and encode from, an image sequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post

With Upscaling software there are limitations, You upscale the size and such, but what some may fail to notice is the finer details are usually removed. Like a small pattern on the wall or on the persons clothing. It's removed or flatten, it's sometimes hard to notice without comparing the two.

Then you can introduce other problems into the picture as well like artifacts(Which is very common on upscaling) and aliasing.

This is a double edge sword situation.

Well, here are some of the crappiest test files you'll ever see. I own the software, so send me a link to any screenshot you want to be upscaled as a test. Keep in mind these were also then all compressed with JPEGMini pro to save file size

There's no detail loss, rather far more detail added as it re-imagines what would have been there. It's basically magic in some cases...

The software has been out for like, (a year)? And they are on version 4.0.3 already. You buy once and have lifetime updates. Each version includes more epochs of training and so keeps rapidly getting better. And no, I don't work for or am invested in them lol

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8j?usp=sharing

Link

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 17th April 2019 at 01:27.
Old 20th April 2019, 21:18   #360  |  Link
Natty
Noob

is this necessary? i want to remove it. can i?
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265