Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 24th June 2013, 21:55   #17501  |  Link
gonca

@omegaman7
Did you make sure that IMPORT_FOLDER=p shows up in the options of the configuration (ini) file
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 21:57   #17502  |  Link
omegaman7

Yes, I did But clearly, it still needs a temporary folder? Jdobbs?
Old 24th June 2013, 22:03   #17503  |  Link
gonca

On my system I just added IMPORT_FOLDER=D:\ and BD_RB creates the IMPORT folder on my D drive every time. I added it to the options and not the path section.
Old 24th June 2013, 22:04   #17504  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
On my system I just added IMPORT_FOLDER=D:\ and BD_RB creates the IMPORT folder on my D drive every time. I added it to the options and not the path section.
Have you watched it in real time? A temporary import folder appears in the working directory, before it relocates it to IMPORT.
Old 24th June 2013, 22:17   #17505  |  Link
gonca

I believe that you are correct, I have seen it. However the import folder becomes the new source folder instead of the default which would have source and working on the same drive
Old 24th June 2013, 22:20   #17506  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
I believe that you are correct, I have seen it. However the import folder becomes the new source folder instead of the default which would have source and working on the same drive
Not really complaining. Because it does help
Old 24th June 2013, 23:48   #17507  |  Link
omegaman7

Interesting turn of events. Sorry about the double post, but I wanted to be sure this was seen by all.

I'm currently working on the most problematic DVD Title(Journey to the center of the earth). EVERY encode has failed, resulting in stuttering playback. Here's what I know. TMT5 will play the ripped raw mpeg-2 files, without fault. MPC-HC will not play the .VOB files properly, but it will play the DVD folder properly. VERY interesting. It's looking like a decoding issue. I'm currently running DGDecNV frameservice, to see if it eliminates the issue.

Wow, it's already looking promising. The encode rate is stupid fast LOL!
Old 24th June 2013, 23:54   #17508  |  Link
gonca

@omegaman7
I might have that DVD, depending on which version you have, and if you wish I can use my system to help you test or compare. Just post your ini file.

Are you still using the 570 in your sig? If yes, you should see a Kepler card go.

Last edited by gonca; 25th June 2013 at 00:17. Reason: added comment
Old 25th June 2013, 00:19   #17509  |  Link
gonca

@wakko709
It just dawned on me that your logs state that H.264 encoder has stopped working. Is this what the actual error report says?
Old 25th June 2013, 03:23   #17510  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I tried my friends "The Mentalist" S1 D1, Ep 1 with Deinterlace and IVTC active, to 720x480p MP4 and VLC shows jerky frames. "Looks funny! Like everyone is doing a strange version of Max Headroom!" I laughed for a bit as my friend has never seen video outside smooth motion.. I'm trying with 44.09 since I haven't updated my MacBook Pro's BD-RB to newest yet. I figured, meehhh....try it and see. Soon, after some more tests, I'll rip to HDD and repeat all tests. If all goes well, or not, then I'll also use 44.14.
Old 25th June 2013, 04:56   #17511  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
I tried my friends "The Mentalist" S1 D1, Ep 1 with Deinterlace and IVTC active, to 720x480p MP4 and VLC shows jerky frames. "Looks funny! Like everyone is doing a strange version of Max Headroom!" I laughed for a bit as my friend has never seen video outside smooth motion.. I'm trying with 44.09 since I haven't updated my MacBook Pro's BD-RB to newest yet. I figured, meehhh....try it and see. Soon, after some more tests, I'll rip to HDD and repeat all tests. If all goes well, or not, then I'll also use 44.14.
If you have DGDecNV installed, I recommend using that frameserver. (At least for this sort of problem, it's not always the best option).

DGDecNV corrected the issue for me, regarding (Journey to the center of the earth (2008) "Brendan Fraser"). VERY interesting. So clearly, it WAS a decoding issue. "Without a paddle" ALSO had the problem. I suspect DGDecNV would correct that one as well.

Yes, I'm still using the GTX 570. I sold my GTX 260, so now I'm stuck with it LOL! :S I desperately want an update, but I'm broke, and an invention I'm working on takes priority at the moment.

Last edited by omegaman7; 25th June 2013 at 05:02.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 08:08   #17512  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I would like to use DGDecNV. However, my ATI (before ATI and AMD joined) 5750 board is still doing very well (Portal, Tomb Raider, and more). I have a new Mac Pro in my sights since the WWDC, so....I may not go nVidia for a while.

That aside, 44.14, when Deinterlace and IVTC are both active, which I leave them both usually, produces a Jerky Mentalist..hahhaha! I'm Laughing a lot as I type this.. If I disable IVTC then the MP4 is smooth from the Optical Drive from today's tests. More later..

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 25th June 2013 at 10:10.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 13:46   #17513  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I would like to use DGDecNV. However, my ATI (before ATI and AMD joined) 5750 board is still doing very well (Portal, Tomb Raider, and more). I have a new Mac Pro in my sights since the WWDC, so....I may not go nVidia for a while.

That aside, 44.14, when Deinterlace and IVTC are both active, which I leave them both usually, produces a Jerky Mentalist..hahhaha! I'm Laughing a lot as I type this.. If I disable IVTC then the MP4 is smooth from the Optical Drive from today's tests. More later..
What resolution is the original? It would be very odd to see an HD film source that has telecining -- so IVTC should have no effect.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:59   #17514  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Ahhh, I see I didn't make that clear enough. I'm testing with The Mentalist S1D1 Ep1 DVD Imported. I agree about HD telecining.

For the DVD video, if Deinterlace is dis/enabled the speeds change with CRF MP4 output. However, if IVTC is active with Deinterlace on/off, the speeds are Always very slow. I've notice no speed change between 10 and 50 CRF. Is this suppose to be "Normal"? If IVTC is disabled, I notice speed differences. IVTC isn't needed with this DVD. Perhaps you may want to check that? BD-RB 44.14 is set to output to Alternate iPad MP4 SD 720..128 AAC..your default profile.

For fun, English Subtitles are enabled, but VLC isn't showing that they're in the container. FYI, I haven't, yet, had iTunes transfer any files to my iPad 2 to testing.
Old 26th June 2013, 00:32   #17515  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Ahhh, I see I didn't make that clear enough. I'm testing with The Mentalist S1D1 Ep1 DVD Imported. I agree about HD telecining.

For the DVD video, if Deinterlace is dis/enabled the speeds change with CRF MP4 output. However, if IVTC is active with Deinterlace on/off, the speeds are Always very slow. I've notice no speed change between 10 and 50 CRF. Is this suppose to be "Normal"? If IVTC is disabled, I notice speed differences. IVTC isn't needed with this DVD. Perhaps you may want to check that? BD-RB 44.14 is set to output to Alternate iPad MP4 SD 720..128 AAC..your default profile.

For fun, English Subtitles are enabled, but VLC isn't showing that they're in the container. FYI, I haven't, yet, had iTunes transfer any files to my iPad 2 to testing.
If IVTC is enabled, it is only used if the disc being processed is telecined. I'm certain about that -- because I scan for the flags myself. The exception is if you have IVTC_480i set. That flag tells BD-RB to inverse telecine regardless of the source. It should never be set unless you have a hard telecined source.

It's normal to see a speed drop when IVTC is being processed.

An MP4 can't handle PGC subtitles.
Old 26th June 2013, 03:27   #17516  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Right, but same speeds 10 to 50 with IVTC processing? Hmm..? That doesn't make sense to me, but...okay.

I haven't set IVTC_480i.. I'll try that for fun. There's a --slight-- jerking effect when playing with VLC and QuckTime with Snow Leopard. Mmm...trying to find why.

I don't doubt your certin-ness about it...I'm merely wanting to know why it's speeds aren't different. Not anything major. I'm pesky that way, always want to know Why...hehe.
Old 26th June 2013, 03:43   #17517  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Right, but same speeds 10 to 50 with IVTC processing? Hmm..? That doesn't make sense to me, but...okay.

I haven't set IVTC_480i.. I'll try that for fun. There's a --slight-- jerking effect when playing with VLC and QuckTime with Snow Leopard. Mmm...trying to find why.

I don't doubt your certin-ness about it...I'm merely wanting to know why it's speeds aren't different. Not anything major. I'm pesky that way, always want to know Why...hehe.
The speed drop should be very small (hardly noticable).
Old 26th June 2013, 05:16   #17518  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Which is why between 10 to 50 with IVTC in Setup active looked the same to me. Hmm...interesting. I'm still not 100% confident how Soft/Hard Telecine functions, I can See visually...but..still somewhat elusive with my reasoning. Thanks for the reply.
Old 26th June 2013, 13:57   #17519  |  Link
jdobbs

Telecining was just a way to convert films (which originate at 24fps) to NTSC video (which is played at 30fps [actually 29.97fps because of timing involved related to blanking]).

In normal telecining you have a 23.976fps source -- but there are flags in the picture headers that tell it to repeat fields so that it adds one frame for every 4. The flags are read by the decoder and it outputs as 29.97fps. One in every 5 frames is manufactured from two of the originals.

Hard telecining works the same way -- except the frame insertion is done before the video is presented to the encoder. So you have a 29.97fps source that is encoded. The picture is essentially the same, but no flags are present in the picture headers. It also means the encoder has to encode 25% more frames, resulting in poorer compression.

When you have to inverse telecine a hard-telecined source, the decoding software has to figure out which of each 5 frames is the "manufactured" one so it can be removed. It does it by looking for repeated fields. On a soft telecined source, that frame doesn't actually exist yet, so you can just remove the flags, which is called "removing pulldown", and end up with a 23.976 source.

Just to complicate things, there are also sources that are a mixture of telecined and true interlaced video (recorded at 29.97fps). That's when it gets really messy.

Last edited by jdobbs; 26th June 2013 at 15:19.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 23:29   #17520  |  Link
wakko709

Quote:
@wakko709
It just dawned on me that your logs state that H.264 encoder has stopped working. Is this what the actual error report says?
yep thats what it said
wakko709 is offline   Reply With Quote