Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 2nd February 2019, 15:32   #201  |  Link
Seedmanc

I don't think I understand how to use the new method. I tried incorporating it into my script and thing went wrong I think, the pareto graphs look weird and the "best" results now are terribly slow and very different from anything I've gotten before.
Where should I get a x64 version of GaussianBlur? How do you determine the radius that should be used there?

Here's the script https://pastebin.com/c65dhju2, I launch it like F:\avsoptim\optimizer.bat F:\avsoptim\genBC.avs -iters 7h -runs 2 -pop 24
Seedmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:21   #202  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Where should I get a x64 version of GaussianBlur?
I think its in the VariableBlur whatsit:- http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B_x64_plugins

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:44   #203  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I think its in the VariableBlur whatsit:- http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth%2B_x64_plugins
Actually at the moment is not on there, the download link points to the 32-bit version. I did add it on there but someone edited a few things and changed the link

Also I don't recall a 64-bit version of the latest VariableBlur (v0.7), only v.05 is available:
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 20:04   #204  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Hi RD, glad that you are still lurking about

Just checked, I got v0.5 only on x64.

OK, had a bit more of a look, here is v0.7 (x86 only) with source, but its got lots of asm.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ugcb8...r_0.7.zip/file

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 2nd February 2019 at 21:27.
Old 2nd February 2019, 22:26   #205  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc View Post
I don't think I understand how to use the new method. I tried incorporating it into my script and thing went wrong I think, the pareto graphs look weird and the "best" results now are terribly slow and very different from anything I've gotten before.
Sorry, I should have made a better example. You don't actually need to blur anything, it was there just to demonstrate how B-SSIM score gets lower if you increase the blurring.

Replace the lines 135-146 with this and it should work.

Code:
scharr_orig = scharr(orig_yv12)
scharr_inter = scharr(inter_yv12)
FrameEvaluate(last, """
	#global ssim = SSIM_FRAME(scaled_orig, scaled_inter)
	global ssim = SSIM_FRAME(orig_yv12, inter_yv12)
	global bssim = BSSIM_MOD(scharr_orig, scharr_inter, ssim)	
	global ssim_total = ssim_total + (bssim == 1.0 ? 0.0 : bssim)		
""")
zorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 00:22   #206  |  Link
zorr

New release, new name! AvisynthOptimizer is called "Zopti" from now on. Why? 'Cause it supports VapourSynth as well, that's why. Download the version 1.0-beta here.

There's some other improvements as well, here's a complete list:
  • added support for VapourSynth scripts
  • Linux support (with VapourSynth)
  • added zoptilib python module to ease script writing
  • added support for VMAF output logs
  • improved heat map visualization:
    -updates optimization progress to title bar when using autorefresh
    -shows correct visuals also when smallest value is best
    -added latest results visualization
    -heat maps can be saved to image sequence with the -animation argument
    -initial window size scaled to full screen
  • improved scatter chart visualization:
    -improved zooming (-top)
    -better legend position when smallest value is best
  • uses resolve for initial population when using randomized arguments fails 100 times
  • more error handling options when script execution fails: new argument -errors with options:
    -stop (default, stops execution)
    -ignore (continues optimization)
    -log (continues optimization and logs errors into a separate error log)
  • checks that input arguments are all valid for the chosen -mode
  • improved error handling and error reporting in reverse polish notation parser
  • new option -priority for setting the optimizer process priority (on Windows only), options are:
    -"": same as /NORMAL, default
    -lowest: same as /LOW
    -lower: same as /BELOWNORMAL
    -higher: same as /ABOVENORMAL
    -highest: same as /HIGH
  • removed bias from the random number generation

A few notes about upgrading: I renamed the optimizer.ini to zopti.ini and the optimizer.bat to zopti.bat. If you already have the .ini you can just rename it to zopti.ini and it will work.

I have used the -priority option to set the thread priority lower because when VapourSynth/MVTools is running a heavy task the other programs can become sluggish with the default priority. Priority option is Windows only for now, Linux probably doesn't even need it.

The error handling options are useful when running the VapourSynth MVTools which is currently not as robust as Pinterf's version. With -errors ignore or -errors log you can keep running the optimization even when the plugin crashes. I still recommend running with the default error handling option (which stops the execution) unless you are expecting errors.

I will make another thread to the VapourSynth section to tell more about the VapourSynth-specific stuff.

Last edited by zorr; 3rd February 2019 at 00:36. Reason: Added version number
Old 10th April 2019, 12:59   #207  |  Link
Seedmanc

Is this version abandoned and will any development only happen for the VS fork? I don't feel like learning a whole new language just to continue processing video as I did before just fine with AVS.

For some reason I was unable to find this thread in the thread list for Avisynth Development section, it said "Displaying 12 of 12 threads". Now that I bumped it, it's displayed there and says "13 of 13". How do I see all threads at once?
Seedmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 14:16   #208  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

In your forum user Control Panel, go to Edit Options, then find and change "Default Thread Age Cut Off."
Old 10th April 2019, 20:44   #209  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc View Post
Is this version abandoned and will any development only happen for the VS fork? I don't feel like learning a whole new language just to continue processing video as I did before just fine with AVS.
No, the same version works for both AviSynth and VapourSynth. So most of the improvements will affect both versions (new algorithms etc). The only VapourSynth-specific thing is the Zoptilib helper library which is not really needed. I wish I was able to write a similar helper for AviSynth but it would take a guru like StainlessS to accomplish that.

I haven't made much progress lately, so it's quiet on both fronts.
Old 10th April 2019, 22:04   #210  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Oh do stop it.

Old 4th April 2021, 23:57   #211  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Perhaps the only way to make it faster and threadsafe in Avisynth would be to use an array as you suggested.
After some tests I've found that Avisynth doesn't have array variables, only array constants. You cannot store values into an array after it has been created so currently arrays are not an option.

Quote:
Or is it possible to make all the frames create their own log file and combine them when it's time to calculate the total score?
It would be easy to create a separate log file for each frame but that wouldn't make anything faster.

I tried some other ways. You can create a new variable for each frame (using Eval) and store the metric there. It doesn't solve the synchronization problem though, there are sometimes missing variables when it is time to combine the results. So that method only works without Prefetch. It would be useful for Avisynth to have a callback function which would be triggered when all the frames have been processed.

I also thought that maybe there's no need for any extra variables at all, we can simply read the metric from all the frames at the last frame using the offset parameter of propGetFloat(). The good news is that it actually works and is faster than the default method which writes to a file at each frame. The bad news is that the speedup is simply due to writing to the file only once (saves about 1,6ms per frame) and there is no additional speedup when using Prefetch. Here's the code:
Code:
TEST_FRAMES = 50			# how many frames are tested
MIDDLE_FRAME = 100		# middle frame number

RawSourcePlus("D:/optimizer/test/flower/flower_cif.yuv", width=352, height=288, pixel_type="I420")
source=ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
noisy=source.AddGrain(25, 0, 0, seed=1)
#return noisy

#denoised=noisy.FFT3DFilter(sigma=4, bt=4, bw=16, bh=16, ow=8, oh=8)		# best settings by Fizick

sigma = 400/100.0 	# optimize sigma = _n_/100.0 | 100..800 | sigma
bt = 4				# optimize bt = _n_ | -1..5 | blockTemporal
blockSize = 32		# optimize blockSize = _n_ | 2..64 ; min:overlap 2 * | blockSize
overlap = 16		# optimize overlap = _n_ | 0..32 ; max:blockSize 2 / | overlap
denoised=noisy.FFT3DFilter(sigma=sigma, bt=bt, bw=blockSize, bh=blockSize, ow=overlap, oh=overlap)

# cut out the part used in quality / speed evaluation
source = source.Trim(MIDDLE_FRAME - TEST_FRAMES/2 + (TEST_FRAMES%2==0?1:0), MIDDLE_FRAME + TEST_FRAMES/2)
denoised = denoised.Trim(MIDDLE_FRAME - TEST_FRAMES/2 + (TEST_FRAMES%2==0?1:0), MIDDLE_FRAME + TEST_FRAMES/2)
last = denoised

last = GMSD(source, denoised, show=false)

# measure runtime, plugin writes the value to global avstimer variable
global avstimer = 0.0
AvsTimer(frames=1, type=0, total=false, name="Optimizer")

# per frame logging (ssim, time)
global delimiter = "; "
global resultFile = "perFrameResults.txt"	# output out1="gmsd: MIN(float)" out2="time: MIN(time) ms" file="perFrameResults.txt"

# write "stop" at the last frame to tell the optimizer that the script has finished
global frame_count = FrameCount()

WriteFileIf(resultFile, function() {
    current_frame == frame_count-1
}, function() {
	gmsd = 0.0
	str = ""
	for (i = 0, frame_count-1) {
		value = propGetFloat("_PlaneGMSD", offset = -i)
		gmsd = gmsd + value
		if (i>0) { str = str + e"\n" }
		str = str + string(current_frame - i) + delimiter + string(value) + delimiter + string(avstimer)
	}
	return str + e"\nstop " + string(gmsd)
}, append=false)

Prefetch(4)

return last
I should also note that the previous GMSD version is not deterministic when used with Prefetch, it's rare but sometimes the last frame is not finished last and one of the frames is left out of the total sum. This version doesn't have that problem.

By the way this is a bit off-topic on this Vapoursynth forum. If any mods happen to read this it might be a good idea to move the posts starting from Worby's to the Avisynth Zopti thread.
Old 5th April 2021, 12:34   #212  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I'm unable to get the new version to work with this test script. It processes the same step for minutes and if you take a look at Task Manager, the I/O read bytes shows that the source file has been read multiple times. Tested with and without Prefetch at the end.

Code:
SetCacheMode(0)
orig = FFVideoSource("c:\zopti\lotr_fotr.avi")

b = -75/100.0					# optimize b = _n_/100.0 | -150..50 | b
c = 15/100.0					# optimize c = _n_/100.0 | -100..100 | c

downscaled_width = 1920
downscaled_height = 808

alternate = BicubicResize(orig, downscaled_width, downscaled_height, b=b, c=c).Lanczos4Resize(orig.width(),orig.height())

GMSD(alternate, orig, show=false)

# measure runtime, plugin writes the value to global avstimer variable
global avstimer = 0.0
AvsTimer(frames=1, type=0, total=false, name="Optimizer")

# per frame logging (ssim, time)
global delimiter = "; "
global resultFile = "perFrameResults.txt"	# output out1="gmsd: MIN(float)" out2="time: MIN(time) ms" file="perFrameResults.txt"

# write "stop" at the last frame to tell the optimizer that the script has finished
global frame_count = FrameCount()

WriteFileIf(resultFile, function() {
    current_frame == frame_count-1
}, function() {
	gmsd = 0.0
	str = ""
	for (i = 0, frame_count-1) {
		value = propGetFloat("_PlaneGMSD", offset = -i)
		gmsd = gmsd + value
		if (i>0) { str = str + e"\n" }
		str = str + string(current_frame - i) + delimiter + string(value) + delimiter + string(avstimer)
	}
	return str + e"\nstop " + string(gmsd)
}, append=false)

#Prefetch(threads=24, frames=1)

return last
I used the "Report thread" button to notify that some posts should be moved to the Avisynth section.
Old 6th April 2021, 01:39   #213  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
I'm unable to get the new version to work with this test script.
I tested it using your silverado.avi clip from the other thread as the source. It does work on my setup, albeit slowly (about 170 seconds per script). Are you using the Avisynth+ 3.7 branch?
Old 6th April 2021, 10:58   #214  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorr View Post
I tested it using your silverado.avi clip from the other thread as the source. It does work on my setup, albeit slowly (about 170 seconds per script). Are you using the Avisynth+ 3.7 branch?
I did this test with a 4K clip of 400 frames. The "old" GMSD script processed one step of it in about 39 seconds while the new one was still processing after waiting for over 5 minutes. I'll try testing the Silverado clip later to make sure the frame size is not an issue somehow. EDIT: the new version finished the first step in 1095 seconds

I'm currently using the latest Avs+.

I was wondering if AVSTimer is one reason for seemingly serialized processing despite the prefetch value set. The GRunT stuff like WriteFileIf is MT-friendly if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Boulder; 6th April 2021 at 11:47.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 15:32   #215  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
I was wondering if AVSTimer is one reason for seemingly serialized processing despite the prefetch value set. The GRunT stuff like WriteFileIf is MT-friendly if I remember correctly.
Hmm..not that either. It must then be the way Avisynth parses things as all that is left is the wait for all frames to finish to get the final result. Strange though that using 24 threads instead of disabling Prefetch doesn't seem to have any effect even when the metric calculation per frame is the slow part.
Old 6th April 2021, 22:06   #216  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Hmm..not that either. It must then be the way Avisynth parses things as all that is left is the wait for all frames to finish to get the final result. Strange though that using 24 threads instead of disabling Prefetch doesn't seem to have any effect even when the metric calculation per frame is the slow part.
I also tried without AVSTimer, made no difference. And I couldn't see any improvement when using 2, 4, 8, 16 or 24 threads.

Then I took out the scaling and only left the GMSD calculation. The time is still the same and the Prefetch behaviour remains. So it's the GMSD (and probably MDSI) which is slow and doesn't get any benefit from multiple threads. I guess it's because the multithreading only accelerates plugins and GMSD is implemented as a script. I tried to include a Prefetch call into the GMSD.avsi but it doesn't allow it there.
Old 6th April 2021, 22:25   #217  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Just a wild guess, but would not WriteFileIf [if done non serialized] write any log file in randon-ish order. [maybe same for avsTimer].
Something like AvsMeter may be able to look at it from 'outside' and on total throughput of frames delivered, and not necessarily in any kind of order.
[although there would also have to be some kind of serialzation when played at output - which may/will affect AvsMeter too]

Last edited by StainlessS; 6th April 2021 at 22:30.
Old 7th April 2021, 01:30   #218  |  Link
kedautinh12

VariableBlur 0.7 (x86 & x64)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tiC...ew?usp=sharing
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 05:31   #219  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorr View Post
I also tried without AVSTimer, made no difference. And I couldn't see any improvement when using 2, 4, 8, 16 or 24 threads.

Then I took out the scaling and only left the GMSD calculation. The time is still the same and the Prefetch behaviour remains. So it's the GMSD (and probably MDSI) which is slow and doesn't get any benefit from multiple threads. I guess it's because the multithreading only accelerates plugins and GMSD is implemented as a script. I tried to include a Prefetch call into the GMSD.avsi but it doesn't allow it there.
Multithreading definitely works with script functions as well, my normal method of processing contains both denoising and resizing from functions outside the script itself.

Both GMSD and MDSI use ScriptClip to put things in the frame properties, I don't see any other special thing in those functions. They're mostly Masktools stuff which runs multithreaded just fine.
Old 7th April 2021, 15:23   #220  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

It's definitely something in those metrics functions, just posted to the Avisynth thread. I can only think the use of ScriptClip doing something which trips the multithreading.