Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 2nd November 2020, 16:01   #1  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

Tone Mapping Video

I've implemented the EETF described in BT.2390. What I'm surprised to see is that I can apparently tone map R', G', and B' independently? Won't that mess up hue? The spec lists it as a viable option.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:50   #2  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

There is a lot of practical experience involved in choosing tone mapping the luma versus the individual RGB channels. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Generally, tone mapping the individual values produces only very minor hue/saturation changes, mostly seen as reduction of saturation. Tone mapping just the luma tends to produce oversaturation. Search around on google and you'll find a lot of material about this. One well-known analyst said that the effects of per channel mapping is a feature, not a bug.

Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

Last edited by videoh; 2nd November 2020 at 16:52.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2020, 21:58   #3  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

My current implementation tone maps the R', G', and B' channels against MaxCLL (weighted luminance), but this affords the possibility of individual channels getting clipped. Now I am modifying it so that instead of MaxCLL, the highest linear ratio encountered in all channels is used as the maximum, regardless of whether it is encountered in R, G, or B. Now there can't be any hard clipping.

Does this make sense? My brain is somewhat fatigued of this.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote