Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th March 2010, 22:12   #7341  |  Link
PhilippeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Did you try my suggestion above, post # 7325?
There must be some software installed on your PC that is preventing BD-RB's use of ffdshow to decode VC-1 files.
Also: Uninstall Avisynth, ffdshow, and haali. reboot. Reinstall those three programs.
Of course i did - It's a 1 minute step for me. I redownloaded BD-rebuilder from the top of this thread and unzipped it to the desktop. I right-clicked and ran it as ADMINISTRATOR, said yes, told me everything was patched fine and proceed to my VC-1 title.

Of course, it didn't work.

One question titling my mind is, if BD-rebuilder is, like jdoobs said, check for it's modification to work befaire displaying is successfully setted up things, how come that same BD-Rebuilder re-asks me for setting it up the next time i run it like 5 seconds after ?
As a programmer myself, i can only conclude that the test that he does after doing whatever is necessary to validate his changes is not the same as the test performed at the opening of BD-Rebuilder otherwise things would stick ?

Anyone sees a failure in my analysis ?

For Gerald, i know VC-1 is working with BD-RB and Windows 7 as i used to have it working before i was forced to upgrade GRRR ! My life was simple at that time lol !

Anyways, anybody (by any chance) have the path of the registry keys that need to be modified so i can try to do it by hand ? Or is it more than a matter of modifying some keys ?

PhilippeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 22:15   #7342  |  Link
PhilippeB

Quote:
Did you try my suggestion above, post # 7325?
There must be some software installed on your PC that is preventing BD-RB's use of ffdshow to decode VC-1 files.
Also: Uninstall Avisynth, ffdshow, and haali. reboot. Reinstall those three programs.
I just lost my whole post GRRR - Re-Writing Again...

Yes i did your suggestion - it's a one minute try - re-downloaded from the top of this thread, unzipped, ran as admin - said everything was ok, went to proceed with VC1, failed, exited, re-ran it, and asking again for modifying the config...

Now everybody trry to follow my thinking: If BD-RD validates its change after doing it, and it says that it was successfull, how come that same BD-RB says it is not configured next time i run it (like 5 seconds after that ?)

JDoobs ? Can't be the same test you do at program execution than after modidying whatever has to be modified ?

PS: I don't think the problem is with the direct show registry as Newer MP 12 uses media foundation class, not direct show anymore. So whatever the changes that may be done on the direct show side won't affect unless i re-route thing from mfc to direct show ? (Or am i completely lost ?)

PS2: Sorry for the repetition - this Message board said it scrapped my message first time, it seems like it didn't afterall.

Last edited by PhilippeB; 19th March 2010 at 22:19.
Old 19th March 2010, 23:00   #7343  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeB View Post
Now everybody trry to follow my thinking: If BD-RD validates its change after doing it, and it says that it was successfull, how come that same BD-RB says it is not configured next time i run it (like 5 seconds after that ?)

JDoobs ? Can't be the same test you do at program execution than after modidying whatever has to be modified ?
@PhiiipeB
That's just my point. If BD-RB sees the change the first time, and then when run again it isn't there. There HAS to be something changing it back in the mean time... either that or we have to believe start believing in alien intervention. I'm not prepared to do that at this time.

I hate to contradict your last post -- but the problem is very definitely the DirectShow registry. That's what is being inspected by BD-RB when it starts... if the correct entry isn't there for VC-1 in the preferred list -- then the wrong CODEC is attempting the decode. BD-RB is looking at it and seeing that (very definitely) the wrong codec is there. The media foundation class has nothing to do with BD-RB -- because it isn't being used, DirectShow is being accessed through the AVISYNTH filter.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th March 2010 at 23:05.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 23:38   #7344  |  Link
gerald410

Quote:
Good to hear! OK then, I guess will take you off the flog list!
Thx I appreciate that I really wasn't looking forward to it lol.
P.S.Thx again for the great program jdobbs!
gerald410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 00:39   #7345  |  Link
chudm

hi guys i had a problem with the gremlins bluray:

everything was fine until that
chudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 01:12   #7346  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudm View Post
hi guys i had a problem with the gremlins bluray:

everything was fine until that
I noticed you're resizing to 720p. That error (in your circumstance) usually means there is a subtitle stream that just won't resize, deselect the substreams one at a time until you find out which one it is...

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th March 2010 at 05:14.
Old 20th March 2010, 01:22   #7347  |  Link
chudm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I noticed you're resizing to 720p. That error (in your circumstance) usually means there is a subtitle stream that just won't resize, deselect the substreams one at a time untile you find out which one it is...
ohh i see, thx man!
chudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 01:55   #7348  |  Link
Capsbackup

@jdobbs;
Just curious if the apparent non-working audio and subtitles on Universal titles doing a full backup to BD5/9 media is affecting you too during playback on your Sony S360?
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 03:36   #7349  |  Link
PhilippeB

Quote:
@PhiiipeB
That's just my point. If BD-RB sees the change the first time, and then when run again it isn't there. There HAS to be something changing it back in the mean time... either that or we have to believe start believing in alien intervention. I'm not prepared to do that at this time.

I hate to contradict your last post -- but the problem is very definitely the DirectShow registry. That's what is being inspected by BD-RB when it starts... if the correct entry isn't there for VC-1 in the preferred list -- then the wrong CODEC is attempting the decode. BD-RB is looking at it and seeing that (very definitely) the wrong codec is there. The media foundation class has nothing to do with BD-RB -- because it isn't being used, DirectShow is being accessed through the AVISYNTH filter.

Ouuuu ! Alien intervention ! This is exactly what my problematic VC-1 title is about ! (4th kind).
So now we found the bug LOL !

Seriously, can you provide, as i asked before, the registry paths i should be looking into (and what values they should be after BD-RB intervention ?) so at least i can start debugging something ?

Old 20th March 2010, 04:51   #7350  |  Link
ftb32

Hello friends I am here to discuss that today assemble a new PC, with a DP55KG intel i7 860 processor, 2 sata samsung of 1 T, just after installing all the software, install the final BD-RB and gave me my chance the same mistake his friend PhiiipeB, I install everything correctly and set as it should be and also the BD-RB reconfigure.
Solution reinstall software W7 and noticing that was what hurt him, now operate normally, let alone a wonder encoding time.
Sorry for my bad English. this is goggle translate
ftb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 16:53   #7351  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Ouuuu ! Alien intervention ! This is exactly what my problematic VC-1 title is about ! (4th kind).
So now we found the bug LOL !

Seriously, can you provide, as i asked before, the registry paths i should be looking into (and what values they should be after BD-RB intervention ?) so at least i can start debugging something ?

A warning to all -- if you are not careful you can screw yourself permanently by messing with the registry -- and you're on your own when that happens. I take no responsibility for any actions you take in editing the registry.

@PhilippeB
For your problem it appears that there are some keys that should be set but are not.

In this registry area:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Directshow\Preferred

These keys:

{31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
{31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
{e06d8026-db46-11cf-b4d1-00805f6cbbea}

should all be set to

{04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}

That tells the system that the preferred DirectShow CODEC for VC-1, AVC, and MPEG-2 should be FFDSHOW.

BD-RB looks at these keys when it loads on a Windows 7 system, and tells you when they are incorrect. It then gives you a prompt and attempts to set them correctly. It then looks at them, and if they weren't changed it knows it didn't have privilege to do so, and gives you another "you need to run me as administrator" message.

When it successfully changes them, it also creates a batch file in the BD-RB folder that lets you change them back to their original state.

Note that on Windows 7 64 bit systems the registry path (in REGEDIT) may be:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th March 2010 at 17:00.
Old 20th March 2010, 16:56   #7352  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Why not just use Win7DSFilterTweaker and set to ffdshow, because is recommended over manual tweaking registry.
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 17:02   #7353  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon3i View Post
Why not just use Win7DSFilterTweaker and set to ffdshow, because is recommended over manual tweaking registry.
Because BD Rebuilder does it for you anyway. You don't need anything else like an additional tweaker. I'm just posting this because I was asked for the information, and PhilippeB doesn't seem to believe me when I tell him...

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th March 2010 at 17:05.
Old 20th March 2010, 18:20   #7354  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
@PhilippeB
For your problem it appears that there are some keys that should be set but are not.

In this registry area:

These keys:

should all be set to

That tells the system that the preferred DirectShow CODEC for VC-1, AVC, and MPEG-2 should be FFDSHOW.

BD-RB looks at these keys when it loads on a Windows 7 system, and tells you when they are incorrect. It then gives you a prompt and attempts to set them correctly. It then looks at them, and if they weren't changed it knows it didn't have privilege to do so, and gives you another "you need to run me as administrator" message.

When it successfully changes them, it also creates a batch file in the BD-RB folder that lets you change them back to their original state.

@jdobbs as PhilippeB has said his is a W7 64-bit machine, the entries at issue for him are in the Wow6432Node, not the first mentioned in your post.

I just checked my own 64-bit system and the Wow6432Node entries are all {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7} but the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Directshow\Preferred are different. And when I run 0.32.08 (beta) there is no mention or complaint about my system at all.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 18:22   #7355  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
@jdobbs as PhilippeB has said his is a W7 64-bit machine, the entries at issue for him are in the Wow6432Node, not the first mentioned in your post.

I just checked my own 64-bit system and the Wow6432Node entries are all {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7} but the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Directshow\Preferred are different. And when I run 0.32.08 (beta) there is no mention or complaint about my system at all.
Look at the last three lines of my post...
Quote:

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th March 2010 at 18:25.
Old 20th March 2010, 19:27   #7356  |  Link
PhilippeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon3i View Post
Shon, this is something i tried yesturday night. Surprisingly, it succeeds (at least in part) where BD-RB Fails...

I tried Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9 and had put everything in there to ffdshow (under 32 bits tree). I Then started BD-RB and for the 1st time, it didn't complain about anything. So for BD-RB at that point everything was fine. EXCEPT, it will still fail at the CODEC but without complaining about VC-1 and MPEG not being attributed to FFDSHOW.

Proof of what i am saying is here:

-----------------------
[14:27:40] BD Rebuilder v0.32.08 (beta)
- Source: THE_MUMMY
- Input BD size: 29,42 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:04:53.235]
- Target BD size: 23,93 GB
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7600]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
- Resuming from previously started job.
[14:27:41] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [14:27:41] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- [14:27:41] Collecting video information
- Source Video: VC-1, 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23,976fps, 179*658 frames
- Bitrate: 19*550 Kbs
- [14:27:41] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 2
- Encode failed. Retrying. <- No more VC-1 not configured for FFDSHOW
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
- FFDSHOW Revision: (3133)
[14:27:43] - Failed video encode, aborted

--------------------------------------------------

Ok, well, it's a start, that lead me to think JDoobs is looking under the 32-bit keys tree rather than the 64. But my machine is 64 bits. Back to Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9, under the 64-bit tree, for all codecs, the only option available is MICRO$OFT.

Humm.. Does that mean i need to install some set of 64 bits codecs ? Does BD-RB needs 64-bit codecs if my machine is 64 bits ? Or can it uses 32-bit (then how do i tell it to go for 32-bits instead of theses 64-bit that are microsoft only ? Should i install a 64-bit FFDSHOW (Does that exists ?) Then again, i heard JDoobs saying that AVISYNTH doesn't like 64-bit codecs..

Gee - everything was so simple under RC-1 (64 bits still) should never had gone legit with RTM =P

I Will try to do a VDO at some point and post it to Youtube to show it to everybody. I seem to have fallen into a void somewhere. But my objective is to clarify this so next versions can address this problem in any situation (32, 64 or whatever the problem is).

Old 20th March 2010, 19:30   #7357  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Shon, this is something i tried yesturday night. Surprisingly, it succeeds (at least in part) where BD-RB Fails...

I tried Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9 and had put everything in there to ffdshow (under 32 bits tree). I Then started BD-RB and for the 1st time, it didn't complain about anything. So for BD-RB at that point everything was fine. EXCEPT, it will still fail at the CODEC but without complaining about VC-1 and MPEG not being attributed to FFDSHOW.

Proof of what i am saying is here:

-----------------------
[14:27:40] BD Rebuilder v0.32.08 (beta)
- Source: THE_MUMMY
- Input BD size: 29,42 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:04:53.235]
- Target BD size: 23,93 GB
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7600]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
- Resuming from previously started job.
[14:27:41] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [14:27:41] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- [14:27:41] Collecting video information
- Source Video: VC-1, 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23,976fps, 179*658 frames
- Bitrate: 19*550 Kbs
- [14:27:41] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 2
- Encode failed. Retrying. <- No more VC-1 not configured for FFDSHOW
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
- FFDSHOW Revision: (3133)
[14:27:43] - Failed video encode, aborted

--------------------------------------------------

Ok, well, it's a start, that lead me to think JDoobs is looking under the 32-bit keys tree rather than the 64. But my machine is 64 bits. Back to Win7DSFilterTweaker_1.9, under the 64-bit tree, for all codecs, the only option available is MICRO$OFT.

Humm.. Does that mean i need to install some set of 64 bits codecs ? Does BD-RB needs 64-bit codecs if my machine is 64 bits ? Or can it uses 32-bit (then how do i tell it to go for 32-bits instead of theses 64-bit that are microsoft only ? Should i install a 64-bit FFDSHOW (Does that exists ?) Then again, i heard JDoobs saying that AVISYNTH doesn't like 64-bit codecs..

Gee - everything was so simple under RC-1 (64 bits still) should never had gone legit with RTM =P

I Will try to do a VDO at some point and post it to Youtube to show it to everybody. I seem to have fallen into a void somewhere. But my objective is to clarify this so next versions can address this problem in any situation (32, 64 or whatever the problem is).

You know, a little logic would lead you to believe that what you are saying is BS... have you noticed at all that it is working for everybody else on the planet who has a Win7 64 bit setup except for you...

If you starting installing 64 bit codecs I can guarantee you will have additional failures.

You obviously know more than I do. But do me a favor, if you post videos about how to do this -- please caviat it with "the developer of BD-RB doesn't agree with this". Because all it's going to do is cause me more headaches.

Hope you find your problem. I give up.

And by the way... my name isn't JDoobs, it's jdobbs. I would appreciate it if you at least got THAT right.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th March 2010 at 19:42.
Old 20th March 2010, 19:38   #7358  |  Link
PhilippeB

Quote:

In this registry area:

These keys:

should all be set to

Thank you very much. I will look at this verry slowly tonight.
It is okay for the warning, anybody should know it is a risky business playing directly in the registry and don't worry - i won't sue anybody if i screw up
BTW i program under WinCE and have to create / modify / flush keys all the time so this is not a so different world for me.

This is the last step i will attempt. If this doesn't work, i plan to whipeout my entire system and re-install it. This takes me about 2 days so maybe it worths it.

Thanxs for the support. will come back soon with the results.

PhilippeB

PS: The alien intervention was a joke - the movie REALLY is about Aliens abductions - if anybody is into that, it is worth listening to

Last edited by PhilippeB; 20th March 2010 at 19:41.
Old 20th March 2010, 19:50   #7359  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thank you very much. I will look at this verry slowly tonight.
It is okay for the warning, anybody should know it is a risky business playing directly in the registry and don't worry - i won't sue anybody if i screw up
BTW i program under WinCE and have to create / modify / flush keys all the time so this is not a so different world for me.

This is the last step i will attempt. If this doesn't work, i plan to whipeout my entire system and re-install it. This takes me about 2 days so maybe it worths it.

Thanxs for the support. will come back soon with the results.

PhilippeB

PS: The alien intervention was a joke - the movie REALLY is about Aliens abductions - if anybody is into that, it is worth listening to
If you set these keys through system functions or via a BATCH file, they will be set in the Wow6432Node area where they are supposed to be through virtualization... but if you're doing it via REGEDIT... you have to know about virtualization and do it by hand. So be careful that you aren't setting/resetting the wrong area.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th March 2010 at 19:54.
Old 20th March 2010, 19:57   #7360  |  Link
PhilippeB

Quote:
If you set these keys through system functions or via a BATCH file, they will be set in the Wow6432Node area where they are supposed to be through virtualization... but if you're doing it via REGEDIT... you have to know about virtualization and do it by hand. So be careful that you aren't setting/resetting the wrong area.
Oki - I went throught regedit because i don't know any other way throught GUI.

Unfortunatly, everything seems to be ok. See the 3 snapshots of the 3 keys in the order you stated them (not the order they appear in regedit) in attachment.

Attached Images