Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th July 2017, 23:54   #44321  |  Link
ryrynz

Maybe madVR should disable DXVA for HDR content? Most wouldn't be aware of this limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J View Post
It's the latest driver version for Win10 x64. madVR is so resource hungry.
With default setting, it blows up my GTX960 while playing 4k 10bit HDR.
My 960 2GB wouldn't downscale 4K HDR 60FPS to Full HD even using DXVA for long without stuttering. If I start playing this content will need a 1060 at least.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 05:55   #44322  |  Link
huhn

strange i can do about everything at 1080p output using a 960.

the HDR SDR conversation takes a lot of processing power but that to be expected but that doesn't mean it is resource hungry.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 07:13   #44323  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah I don't get what's causing it, RAM usage is low (apparently) the GPU utilization isn't high.. but it just can't cope. non HDR 4K 60FPS is fine, I haven't tested many HDR clips but this one stutters almost straight away no matter what I change.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 07:40   #44324  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you have a composition rate in FSE on win 7?

overlay does't care try that.
Methinks you are skim reading my posts rather than actually reading them.

In FSE mode, the "display" stat is wrong so it still stutters. It's as if MadVR isn't detecting the refresh rate change made by other applications - maybe it's being started too early? It'd explain why letting MadVR handle refresh rate changes works fine, even without FSE.

Last edited by DragonQ; 12th July 2017 at 08:34.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 08:58   #44325  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its a bit of a known limitation that other refresh rate switchers can cause such issues if they don't do the switch before madVR is loaded entirely, otherwise it might not pick it up properly. Using the madVR switcher has certain advantages anyway, the app doesn't have to guess the frame rate, madVR gets told by the video decoder.
Old 12th July 2017, 11:05   #44326  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Methinks you are skim reading my posts rather than actually reading them.

In FSE mode, the "display" stat is wrong so it still stutters. It's as if MadVR isn't detecting the refresh rate change made by other applications - maybe it's being started too early? It'd explain why letting MadVR handle refresh rate changes works fine, even without FSE.
if you get the wrong refreshrate in FSE than the program that changes the refreshrate did it wrong.

if you don't want to use FSE or overlay there is is always a change the composition rate will not match. http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=204

changing the screen will disable the madVR display mode because they are created for that one screen.

in your windowed issue you have composition rate issue and in the.

in your FSE issue the issue comes from a program whatever that may be... using the wrong refresh rate.
Quote:
MadVR "Display" stat says 25
than you say they are using the correct one so it has to be the composition rate which isn't used for FSE and shouldn't be there.

Quote:
I'm using the latest build of Kodi DSPlayer and MadVR. In every case the display refresh rate is correct, according to both MadVR and the display itself, it's just the composition rate that's wrong.
Old 12th July 2017, 17:01   #44327  |  Link
edwdevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
DXVA downsizing is incompatible with HDR content, because DXVA is not aware of the HDR nature of the content.
I'm afraid to me this looks like a bug. This happens with 10 bit sources, regardless of HDR encoding or not. This is not an issue with EVR, which must use the same DXVA drivers. If this gets fixed, the next issue would then be the proper HDR -> SDR encoding before RGB output to the 8-bit monitor. Here, EVR color output must be adjusted by the player to get good looking HDR, which is annoying. If madvr could get this right, it would be a win
edwdevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 01:38   #44328  |  Link
njfoses

I have a custom 2159P resolution setup for my 1070 as it tracks closer to 23.976. Is there anyway to have madVR refresh rate switcher switch to this custom resolution?
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 01:49   #44329  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwdevel View Post
I'm afraid to me this looks like a bug. This happens with 10 bit sources, regardless of HDR encoding or not. This is not an issue with EVR, which must use the same DXVA drivers. If this gets fixed, the next issue would then be the proper HDR -> SDR encoding before RGB output to the 8-bit monitor. Here, EVR color output must be adjusted by the player to get good looking HDR, which is annoying. If madvr could get this right, it would be a win
I think this is a driver bug. The difference between EVR and madVR that would cause only madVR to show the bug is that EVR never needs the data back from DXVA2, madVR on the other hand needs the data back.

There is a driver bug that causes wrong colors when getting 10-bit data back from DXVA2 decoding/scaling.

madVR is very good at HDR -> SDR and it provides multiple ways to accomplish it. I certainly approve of the quality of madVR's HDR -> SDR and I don't need to fiddle with the settings to get good results. Just don't use DXVA for anything.
Old 13th July 2017, 01:57   #44330  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
After a bit of research it seems this is how nvidia sets stereoscopic 3d. 1080/24p is always enabled in 3d mode. Some users have written scripts to enable/disable 3d. I was trying to do enable/disable madvr 3d in the same script. Are there any command line options to do this please?

Thanks.
I tried using the madvr toggles in the rendering->stereo 3D tab for 2d/3d content. The problem is that the os 3d setting does not correctly mirror the nvidia stereo 3d settings. OS 3D does disable nvidia 3d, but nvidia 3d does not get enabled when OS 3d is enabled. This might be new behaviour in windows 10 (creators update).

I have scripts to enable stereo 3d in nvidia, and I tried using profiles to enable/disable 3d, but it seems running batch files on profile enable is broken?

I haven't had any replies to my 3d queries till now, have people completely given up on stereoscopic 3d movies?
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 07:14   #44331  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
I have a custom 2159P resolution setup for my 1070 as it tracks closer to 23.976. Is there anyway to have madVR refresh rate switcher switch to this custom resolution?
3840x2159p23 may work.

videos may need downscaling now and who knows what the TV does with that input. i highly recommend a custom refreshrate with 3840x2160p23 . and please be aware that getting closer to 23.976 doesn't mean it is getting better.
Old 13th July 2017, 13:25   #44332  |  Link
clsid

Here is a tutorial to improve accuracy of a custom resolution:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 09:05   #44333  |  Link
andybkma

Since there is no "OFF" option (or at least one that I can find) for mVR image downscaling, chroma upscaling & image upscaling, can you please tell me which option(s) for these three sharpening functions would most simulate OFF? I am using mVR with a low power GPU on a laptop and am soon going to add in a Darbee to the mix because I need to reduce all the taxing GPU/CPU load I have been putting on my laptops with a projector. But of course I still want to use mVR because of smooth motion and the various other awesome features, so when I add the Darbee I would like to start at a "normal", non mVR sharpening operations (for want of a better term) and increase sharpening slowy step by step up from that point and see how it goes... thanks guys very much

Last edited by andybkma; 14th July 2017 at 10:23.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 09:06   #44334  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

That makes no sense. If madVR changes the size of the video, it should do that in high quality. If you use a low quality upscaling (or even worse, downscaling), information is already lost. A post-processing box can't fully recover that. The best bet is always to use the highest quality as early as you can.
Old 14th July 2017, 10:18   #44335  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That makes no sense. If madVR changes the size of the video, it should do that in high quality. If you use a low quality upscaling (or even worse, downscaling), information is already lost. A post-processing box can't fully recover that. The best bet is always to use the highest quality as early as you can.
Thanks for your input nev, but I can't because it's killing my laptops with the huge load mVR taxes on my gpu/cpu. Let me start at as near to "ground zero" as I can then work my way up the mVR sharpening chains while using the darbee till I find a good equilibrium I can live with (not too much load cpu/gpu anymore but still good enough picture for me). But I don't know what is "off" like I mentioned.

Let's say I was using Haali as my renderer instead of mVR (which I don't want to do just say for comparison sake), which mVR sharpening settings would emulate Haali because I know that using Haali isn't cpu/gpu taxing... Thanks for any further tips...

Last edited by andybkma; 14th July 2017 at 10:36.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 11:56   #44336  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Thanks for your input nev, but I can't because it's killing my laptops with the huge load mVR taxes on my gpu/cpu. Let me start at as near to "ground zero" as I can then work my way up the mVR sharpening chains while using the darbee till I find a good equilibrium I can live with (not too much load cpu/gpu anymore but still good enough picture for me). But I don't know what is "off" like I mentioned.

Let's say I was using Haali as my renderer instead of mVR (which I don't want to do just say for comparison sake), which mVR sharpening settings would emulate Haali because I know that using Haali isn't cpu/gpu taxing... Thanks for any further tips...
I can run madVR on my 7" HP tablet, which uses an Atom CPU/GPU, at default settings, but that's about as far as I can go. Start with default settings and experiment from there to see what your system can handle.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 11:57   #44337  |  Link
Sunset1982

I created some profiles and rules for madvr. Now I want to create an extra profile for low quality sources, which I can switch to with a keyboard shortcut.

Is there a way to show the active/chosen profile name in madvr's stats window? If not, will it be integrated in a future version?
Old 14th July 2017, 12:37   #44338  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
the scalers are not "sharpening functions".

and a sharpening chain what are you even trying todo?
Old 14th July 2017, 15:48   #44339  |  Link
MrNuka

MPC-HC suddenly takes 20+seconds to open a file, status is "opening...", it's fine if I don't use MadVR as renderer.
This happened literally over night.
I already updated my GPU driver, reinstalled Madvr, installed an older version, reset all settings. Could it be my HDD? Got a gtx 1070 and an i7 6700k
MrNuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 17:15   #44340  |  Link
oddball

@ Madshi.

I made an inquiry with AMD regarding their HDR switching method. Apparently you CAN use their API for on-the-fly HDR switching.

'Thanks for the email.

We do provide the AMD GPU Services (AGS) library on GPUOpen that ISVs can use to switch HDR displays into HDR mode on-the-fly from their application.

This does not rely on the Windows 10 Creators Update “HDR and advanced color” toggle in Display Settings - we’ve supported this since last year from Windows 7 and onwards with the 16.40+ drivers.

http://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/am...s-ags-library/

Please be advised that this service request will be permanently closed if you do not reply within 10 days. If more time is needed to respond to my e-mail above, please let me know and I will ensure that this service request remains open for you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care'
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling