Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 19th May 2008, 16:17   #101  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmonaut View Post
DigitAl56k or SeaBass or myself. What account name did you use?
I sent a PM to DigitAl56k, and I got a response, so I think my ISP's being a bit screwy of late.

I've downloaded it, and ran it on a couple test files, so far it seems noticably slower than ffdshow_tryouts. I'm getting timecodec and I'll give some numbers in a bit.

EDIT: 3 hours later, some concrete numbers with ffdshow and DivX. ffdshow wins out this time.

DivX H.264 Decoder
User: 3746s, kernel: 2s, total: 3749s, real: 3824s, fps: 20.1, dfps: 19.7

ffdshow_tryouts rev 1960
User: 3311s, kernel: 2s, total: 3314s, real: 3390s, fps: 22.7, dfps: 22.2

Post-processing was disabled on ffdshow. Single core, Celeron 800 MHz, 128 KB cache, Coppermine P3 based.

I have a copy of CoreAVC I obtained a while back, I'll install and try that and see how it performs.

Last edited by Inventive Software; 19th May 2008 at 19:57.
Inventive Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 20:52   #102  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

All of my x.264 HD files encoded with RipBot's 4.0 1080P profile playback at any where from 8.7 FPS to 23.4 FPS Dont know whats up but I get the full 30 FPS with Core... All tested with MPC...

Quad Core Phenom 9500 4 GB 800mhz of ram 32 Bit Windows Vista Ultimate...

Last edited by Ajax_Undone; 19th May 2008 at 20:59.
Ajax_Undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 22:29   #103  |  Link
KEROLiUKAS
DivX Connected Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
KEROLIUKAS : you forgot to disable the postprocessing in ffdshow ? Or do you have a quad core ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEROLiUKAS View Post
Ahhh, probably, i knew it couldn't be this good. I was running default settings on both.

AMD 4200+ x2 AM2

I'll update my results later without post proccesing, and hopefully some CoreAVC results.

Actually, it turns out post proccesing was off.
KEROLiUKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 23:45   #104  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Hey guys, we're working on a new build that should perform better on AMD processors.

I'll also contact a few of you later via PM with upload locations for sample clips. I went through PM's at Labs earlier so if you sent us a request check your PM's and e-mail.

Regarding the drawing issue on the nVidia 8800GTX, I have the same model here at my desk with an identical problem. We looked into it for an entire day. I'm asking around for a contact at nVidia so that we can help them reproduce the effect.

Stay tuned
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 00:09   #105  |  Link
KEROLiUKAS
DivX Connected Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitAl56K View Post
Hey guys, we're working on a new build that should perform better on AMD processors.

I'll also contact a few of you later via PM with upload locations for sample clips. I went through PM's at Labs earlier so if you sent us a request check your PM's and e-mail.

Regarding the drawing issue on the nVidia 8800GTX, I have the same model here at my desk with an identical problem. We looked into it for an entire day. I'm asking around for a contact at nVidia so that we can help them reproduce the effect.

Stay tuned
Any ETA on the next build? I'm running an AMD CPU, so I'm excited.
Old 20th May 2008, 00:42   #106  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Should be real soon KEROLiUKAS, we're just cleaning up a few loose ends.

I also wanted to add a reply on Linux since several people have asked. We actually have a linux build of the decoder but as you can imagine there is a lot of work still to be done on our Windows tool set and these will be the first products to be released. As for a Linux version, if you're interested please start a new thread because here we intend to focus on our current beta. Also note that we can't commit to a timeline for a Linux version, but understanding your intentions around a linux decoder from DivX may help us to prioritize it.
Old 20th May 2008, 00:45   #107  |  Link
KEROLiUKAS
DivX Connected Freak

Quote:
Should be real soon KEROLiUKAS, we're just cleaning up a few loose ends.

I also wanted to add a reply on Linux since several people have asked. We actually have a linux build of the decoder but as you can imagine there is a lot of work still to be done on our Windows tool set and these will be the first products to be released. As for a Linux version, if you're interested please start a new thread because here we intend to focus on our current beta. Also note that we can't commit to a timeline for a Linux version, but understanding your intentions around a linux decoder from DivX may help us to prioritize it.
All right, thanks for the info, i'll be checking LABS later tonight hoping for somehting...
Old 20th May 2008, 00:54   #108  |  Link
DigitAl56K

We'll send out an e-mail to the group when it's ready
Old 20th May 2008, 08:55   #109  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Beastie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 09:10   #110  |  Link
Manao

KEROLiUKAS : what version of FFDShow are you running ? I don't doubt that DivX is faster than FFDshow on your dual core, but it shouldn't be more than twice faster (see cyberdeing timings, on a relatively equivalent CPU : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1139209), so that may be explained by a very old version of FFDShow.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:29   #111  |  Link
MarcioAB

Any plans to support or collaborate with hardware acceleration ( Windows DXVA ).
It works well with MPC-HomeCinema DXVA-enabled internal decoder, but it does not work directly on GraphEdit with "Use Clock" turned off so, can not compare.
MarcioAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:30   #112  |  Link
clsid

Yes, ffdshow has become significantly faster in the past months.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:46   #113  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
It works well with MPC-HomeCinema DXVA-enabled internal decoder, but it does not work directly on GraphEdit with "Use Clock" turned off so, can not compare.
It does not make sense to test DXVA anyway. Bitstream mode is supposed to decode at real-time without CPU intervention.
Old 20th May 2008, 18:51   #114  |  Link
CiNcH

Concerning the DVBViewer DVBSource problem... I just played a H.264 Blu-Ray m2ts file over the filter and some frames (but very few, only saw a still image with the DivX logo) were decoded until it crashed.
Old 20th May 2008, 19:02   #115  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

@DigitAl56K

If you ever decide to make your product free, x264.nl still needs an x264.ax in the package

I am not interested to test the decoder now, as i HATE email, but you can test all Satellite samples yourself:
http://x264.nl/h.264.samples
http://files.x264.nl/h.264.samples.13.apr.2008.europe
bob0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 19:56   #116  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r
If you ever decide to make your product free, x264.nl still needs an x264.ax in the package
Believe me when I say there are a lot of supporters for a free decoder, including me! We are looking at the various licensing costs and nothing is off the table, but the truth is that pricing, if any, has not been set yet. When we come closer to an actual release you'll be the second to know

Thanks CiNcH for the additional info on the DVBViewer issue. Regarding DXVA, as I've mentioned on labs several of us are very excited by the idea of DXVA support. Whether this will make the first release or not I'm not sure yet. Our current focus is to round out software decoding, DXVA may depend on the time we have available.
Old 20th May 2008, 22:26   #117  |  Link
KEROLiUKAS
DivX Connected Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
KEROLiUKAS : what version of FFDShow are you running ? I don't doubt that DivX is faster than FFDshow on your dual core, but it shouldn't be more than twice faster (see cyberdeing timings, on a relatively equivalent CPU : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1139209), so that may be explained by a very old version of FFDShow.
ffdshow tryouts revision 1723
Old 20th May 2008, 23:15   #118  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Get a newer version. ffdshow's changed quite a bit since then.
Old 21st May 2008, 00:26   #119  |  Link
MarcioAB

Quote:
Regarding DXVA, as I've mentioned on labs several of us are very excited by the idea of DXVA support. Whether this will make the first release or not I'm not sure yet. Our current focus is to round out software decoding, DXVA may depend on the time we have available.
On the original post I also suggested "collaboration" with DXVA. I have no idea if that is technically possible but it could be nice to have some kind of DXVA post processing (Deband-like) to remove/minimize blocks. So, CPU usage can stay something between 2% and full-sofware decode. Maybe that could give some uniqueness to DivX H264 ...
MarcioAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 02:05   #120  |  Link
tomos

a collabaration would be nice, might get around the problems with decoding AVC files beyond 4.1, e.g pass what you can to the GPU, do the rest with CPU? possible?
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coreavc, divx, h264 decoder, remoulade