Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd December 2015, 15:57   #1  |  Link
e-Pawel

Windows 10 - DXVA issue, not working with any player/decoder

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have the same issue: I have never had any issues with DXVA on my computer, but ever since I installed Windows 10 it has stopped working for no apparent reason whatsoever.

MPC HC (1.7.10) shows (Options -> Internal filters -> Video decoder) that both DXVA2 and nVidia CUVID (as it's a CUDA compatible video card) are available, yet either of them are listed as "<inactive>" during playback. Same with VLC and when using Windows' built in filters): no hardware acceleration.

Any ideas how to solve it except for switching back to Windows 7?

Best!
Pawel

PS. The selected renderer is "EVR (custom presenter)", which is said to support DXVA.
e-Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:02   #2  |  Link
huhn

is the source DXVA compatible and what type of hardware are you using?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:07   #3  |  Link
e-Pawel

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
is the source DXVA compatible and what type of hardware are you using?
Sure. Those are H264 video files (in both 720p and 1080p), it is an Intel i7 CPU and an nVidia Quadro 880M video card.

The hardware is not the issue, as I have never had any problems with hardware accelerated playback of those videos when using Windows 7 on this computer.
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:56   #4  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

if it says "<inactive>", then you are looking in the wrong place. It would never say inactive if its decoding anything, if its using software decoding, it would say "avcodec".
You need to check the actual active decoder instance. There can be multiple decoders active at the same time, so only accessing the properties of one specific decoder can show you any relevant information.
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:18   #5  |  Link
e-Pawel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
if it says "<inactive>", then you are looking in the wrong place. It would never say inactive if its decoding anything, if its using software decoding, it would say "avcodec".
You need to check the actual active decoder instance. There can be multiple decoders active at the same time, so only accessing the properties of one specific decoder can show you any relevant information.
Thanks for your replies! But it is of no help if you ask basic questions like "Do you even have a video card supporting DXVA" Hardware dec. definitely isn't working now, and it definitely worked before (Win 7).

1) When you hover the cursor over "Playing" (contrary to Win 7 where it displayed "Playing" (DXVA)") in bottom left corner of the window it says "Software playback".

2) When selecting "View -> Renderer Settings -> Display statistics" it explicitly says: "DXVA : Not using DXVA"

3) I get way more CPU usage when decoding videos (depending on the resolution of course) whereas I had <10% with Windows 7 no matter if 720p or 1080p.

As I said I had it actually working without any issues with this very hardware configuration (and default MPC settings just as it is now) with Windows 7, so the sole apparent difference is the OS: Win 7 vs Win 10.
Old 3rd December 2015, 00:03   #6  |  Link
wanezhiling

http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/DXVAChecker.html
Show us your screenshot of DXVA Checker
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 12:45   #7  |  Link
e-Pawel

Here they are! Thank you
Attached Images