Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th January 2018, 04:24   #1  |  Link
ClassGuy

MPC-HC filter settings to block URLs, scripts & other malware in Windows Media/ASF

I'm wondering if there is a guide or if someone has information on how to tell MPC-HC to block some of the nasty stuff that can be in ASF/Windows Media files. I want to block any potential mischievous actions like opening an URL, writing to a local file, running a script etc.

From what I can tell, no one wants to do this or I just can't find info on how to block nefarious actions in ASF/Windows Media files on Google.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a forum dedicated to MPC-HC. I know development has stopped at 1.17.13 which is a bummer.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by ClassGuy; 25th January 2018 at 05:38. Reason: reword title to include Windows Media/ASF
ClassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 13:02   #2  |  Link
dipje

Isn't it possible to remux the content into something different than ASF and play that? The videostream is not the thing opening the URLs..

Now that I think about it, there might be an option somewhere to try to use the Windows Media / DMO components for reading ASF and playing/decoding WMV which is on by default. If you turn it off it uses libav stuff to open ASF / WMV and thus will not follow all the script actions inside the file.

Most obvious answer is ofcourse to not open that kind of files... sounds to me like you got some weird illegal WMV encodes, can't think of any other reason there is malware-like scripts inside ASF files...
dipje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 17:35   #3  |  Link
clsid

MPC-HC is already immune. Such malware abuses the DRM functionality of WMP.

Oh, and latest version is 1.7.14 which you can find on this forum
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 04:21   #4  |  Link
ClassGuy

Okay thanks for the responses guys. All good points. I sometimes get .wmv or .avi files from "potentially" untrusted sources. So I want to primarily avoid any "phone home" issues if there were embedded URL commands or whatever, as well as any other malicious activities.

I haven't seen any actual .asf files for a long time. I'm just not sure what could be inside a .wmv or .avi file other than the video, audio, and maybe subtitle streams. So I wanted to be sure that MPC-HC wouldn't use anything other than the audio/video/text streams.

Um, lol, .14? You mean the new MPC-BE? I don't know man. I have firmly trusted MPC and then MPC-HC for years. I'll have to think about letting in an interloper LOL.
Old 26th January 2018, 08:19   #5  |  Link
EncodedMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassGuy View Post
Um, lol, .14? You mean the new MPC-BE? I don't know man. I have firmly trusted MPC and then MPC-HC for years. I'll have to think about letting in an interloper LOL.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175209
EncodedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 08:36   #6  |  Link
ClassGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspyker View Post
Very cool. I missed that one. Thanks!

It is sad to see a reliable, plays virtually everything player having development stopped because of loss of developer support, but such is life.

It's wicked cool clsid is continuing to do bug fixes, updating other software that's incorporated, etc. It's just too bad there won't be any new features. But hey, it just makes a solid player even more solid and dependable. Plus I have a feeling that feature creep strongly enables bug creep as well.

Tags
asf, mpc-hc, windows media format