Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2019, 04:38   #1  |  Link
konstantin1

Is it possible to set the video resolution at container level?

I would like to modify (increase) video resolution without a full re-encode. Maybe there is a container, which supports this with a metadata tag, eg.: VIRTUAL_WIDTH, and VIRTUAL_HEIGHT, which are honored at least by ffmpeg. For example for cropping the videos, corresponding H264 bitstream level metadata filters exist for the AVC codec, which can be set without a real re-encode, and then video will be cropped both at play time, or when encoding, according to the bitstream level data.

My general problem is, when I upload videos to my favourite video sharing website - not youtube -, and the video height is less then 360 pixel, let's say 320px, then the video is downscaled to only 240p, which is suboptimal. It would be nice, to set only a bitstream level data, or some container metadata, etc. to achieve a higher "virtual" resolution, at least 360p or 480p, which would be honored at their transcoding server, and video would be upscaled to that vertical resolution.

A similar hack was available by setting the "DURATION" metadata tag of matroska streams, and fooling the server that video has a valid duration, however it hadn't, because it was uploaded from STDOUT stream data, and wasn't seekable at all, nor valid duration was set by ffmpeg.

I found that FLV container supports some metadata WIDTH and HEIGHT, but they are for the flash-player on a webpage.
konstantin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2019, 10:56   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

MKVToolNix supports setting DisplayWidth, DisplayHeight and DisplayUnit (to "0"=pixels) for Matroska containers. If your "favourite video sharing website" supports that ... no idea.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote