Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 4th July 2008, 06:52   #1  |  Link
stax76

StaxRip Bug Reports

This thread is dedicated for reporting StaxRip bugs. Some bugs are harder to track than others, in order to make the tracking more easy please follow some guidelines:

If you don't have read Doom9's thread how to file a good bug report yet, I suggest to start with reading it, it tells all the basics about how to deal with bugs.

Recent versions often fix bugs so please try the latest version first to check if it has been fixed already.

When StaxRip crashes it saves a diagnostic file containing debug information on the desktop. The diagnostic file can also be generated manually from the main menu (Help / Make Bug Report) at any time. The best time for generating the diagnostic file manually is after encoding or after loading a problematic source. Please post the diagnostic file using a free hosting service like 2shared.com or mediafire.com, if possible don't use the attachment feature of the forum, especially for large attachments or log files.

In case there is a bug that won't crash StaxRip, please explain step by step how to reproduce it. Please try different types of source files, if the bug occurs only with a certain type, please post the specs of the source file using the newest version of MediaInfo. If possible upload a sample clip using a free hosting service.

Last edited by stax76; 1st July 2009 at 20:47.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 17:42   #2  |  Link
bmnot

What, first?

After running compressibility check the status line says: "The in the encoder options defined aimed quality value is more than 10% off."

Apart from the German grammar, I found the old warning more understandable and more specific. It was something like "Encoding with these values will result in artifacts, please increase filesize or decrease resolution."
bmnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 18:17   #3  |  Link
stax76

I'll fix the grammar, please let me know if you find more bad language. The old message had the problem that it would be good only when used with the default values. Some experienced users might set the aimed quality value to 100% and set the comp. check crf value to 22 for instance.

Last edited by stax76; 7th July 2008 at 18:30.
Old 8th July 2008, 11:10   #4  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Staxrip latest beta crash's (rather dgindex throws an error) while attempting to index too many vob cells using the -if command. In this case, 108 cells from live free or die hard. This happened in previous releases of both dgindex and staxrip.

possible solution: Use -bf option instead of -if. It also has the added benefit of looking "cleaner" in the log. It would create another txt file though.

I made a file list, and used the -bf command manually with the same settings, and dgindex seems very happy
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 14:01   #5  |  Link
stax76

There is a limitation somewhere, I'm not sure where it is but I'll check it. The method with the file isn't easy to support since DGIndex is only supported with a generic customizable command line mechanism ('Command Line Preparer' defined in the options). The file method is also interesting because the CLI don't support commas.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:08   #6  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Quote:
-BF=[filelist]

Load a batch of files.
The filelist should be a plain text file listing one file per line with no extra white space.
If a specified file cannot be found, it is ignored.
Brackets Required!
HINT: The following DOS command automatically generates a filelist:
DIR *.VOB /B > FILELIST

I would think it would be easier to implement than the current system... at least with nt batch scripting it is. One line makes the list, then you just call -bf filelist.lst instead of -if file1,file2..file3

for %%a in (%path%\*.vob) do (echo %%~fa >> filelist.lst)

Last edited by RunningSkittle; 8th July 2008 at 15:29.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:31   #7  |  Link
stax76

Did you try to customize the DGIndex preparer? I can help if you don't know how to do it. I don't know if dos batch is powerful enough since I don't know dos batch. If we can't get it to work with dos batch we can use wsh which I know.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:36   #8  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

*disregard last statement*

All I really need to be able to do is to export the files to a text file.

I tried piping the files to filelist.txt by
%source_files_no_quotes% >> filelist.lst
obviously this did not work.

Last edited by RunningSkittle; 8th July 2008 at 15:45.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:54   #9  |  Link
stax76

I'll write a script or something.
Old 8th July 2008, 16:54   #10  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Ive almost got a batch script to work... just one big flaw to iron out.
Old 8th July 2008, 16:58   #11  |  Link
stax76

The command lines for the DGIndex preparer look as follows:

Code:
wscript.exe "%settings_dir%Scripts\make file list.js" "%source_dir%%source_name%_SourceFiles.txt" %source_files_blank% 
"%application:DGIndex%" -SD=| -BF=|%source_dir%%source_name%_SourceFiles.txt| -IA=2 -FO=0 -YR=1 -TN=1 -OM=2 -DRC=2 -DSD=0 -DSA=0 -OF=|%source_dir%\%source_name%| -minimize -exit
This assumes there is a directory called 'Scripts' in your settings dir containing a script named 'make file list.js', script code is the following:

Code:
args = WScript.Arguments;
fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
ts = fso.OpenTextFile(args(0), 2, true);

for (var i = 1; i < args.Length; i++)
{
	ts.WriteLine(args(i));
}

ts.Close();
If you or somebody else get it to work with pure dos I'm interested to see what it looks like.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:04   #12  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

alright, so this script kind of works... it would be used with %source_files_comma_no_quotes%... I assume this is what the list would look like?

Code:
@echo off
set sourcefiles=file1.vob,file2.vob,file3.vob,file4.vob,file5.vob

:forloop
for /f "tokens=1* delims=," %%a in ("%sourcefiles%") do (call :loop "%%a" "%%b")
goto endloop

:loop
for /f "tokens=1 delims==" %%b in (%2) do set sourcefiles=%%b
echo %1 >> c:\filelist.lst
if "%sourcefiles%" == %1 goto endloop
::uncomment to see it work
::echo %1
::echo %sourcefiles%
goto forloop
goto eof
:endloop

:eof
It generates
Code:
"file1.vob" 
"file2.vob" 
"file3.vob" 
"file4.vob" 
"file5.vob"
Im affraid it doesnt work 100% effeciently or correctly The big problem is that it doesnt exit the loop when I want it to. Insert 'pause' above :eof, and see what I mean.

Last edited by RunningSkittle; 8th July 2008 at 17:09.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:07   #13  |  Link
stax76

I'm afraid mine won't probably work either since it likely suffers the same problem as the original solution. I'll think about a new solution tomorrow.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:49   #14  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Interesting, and frustrating:

Finally got it output the filelist (yay), all I need to do now is remember how to correctly call dgindex -bf

BUT here is the kicker, stax. When I try to load all of the cells again, i get the same error as before. (pulling my hair out now).

anyway, here is the code so far.

Command Line parser:
Code:
cmd.exe /c "c:\test.bat "%source_files_comma_no_quotes%""
%newline%
"%application:DGIndex%" -SD=| -BF=|c:\filelist.lst| -IA=2 -FO=0 -YR=1 -TN=1 -OM=2 -DRC=2 -DSD=0 -DSA=0 -OF=|%source_dir%\%source_name%| -minimize -exit
Test.bat:
Code:
@echo off
for /f "tokens=1 delims==" %%b in (%1) do set sourcefiles=%%b
echo %sourcefiles%
pause

:forloop
for /f "tokens=1* delims=," %%a in ("%sourcefiles%") do (call :loop "%%a" "%%b")
goto endloop

:loop
for /f "tokens=1 delims==" %%b in (%2) do set sourcefiles=%%b
echo %1 >> c:\filelist.lst
if "%sourcefiles%" == %1 exit
goto forloop
goto eof
:endloop

:eof
It works fine, as long as there arent too many files!
Old 8th July 2008, 18:04   #15  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

So I went through and checked exactly how many files I can load. 26

27+, staxrip crashes with this: "the data area passed to a system call is too small"

At least i had a fun time writing the script (which now seems very unnecessary)
Old 8th July 2008, 18:07   #16  |  Link
stax76

I'm investigating it currently, maybe I can find a way to pass more files.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:30   #17  |  Link
stax76

Looks like I could have saved us a lot headache, by default .NET creates a process using the shell, it's also possible to create a process without the shell and in this case there is no limititation of the maximum length of the command line. I've uploaded a new beta, I hope it works now. There should be no need for any scripts, it should work with the default DGIndex command line.
Old 17th July 2008, 07:39   #18  |  Link
Sharc

After preparation StaxRip sometimes does not add the idx/sub to the container, even though the idx and sub have been automatically extracted as expected. The idx cannot be added manually either (Container configuration / Add... / Open ....).
I also tried re-authoring with DVDShrink beforehand, it helped in one case only)
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 17:57   #19  |  Link
RickA

Greets Stax,

Not sure if these are actual bugs per se...

-Every time I run the Compression Check the help descriptor box 'Runs the compressibilty check which helps to find a optimal bitrate.' opens and stays open throughout the Comp Check procedure. It goes away as soon as the Check is finished. Technically the 'a' should be 'an' since the word it is ahead of (optimal) starts with a vowel. That is nothing to worry about and in no way detracts from your awesome program.

-Sometimes when I am adding multiple files to the job list. After I have done the Comp Check and tried differing filter combinations. Upon clicking Next to add my selection to the Job List I get the message 'The job was sent to the currently processing StaxRip instance.' yet it does not show up in the Job List.

Not sure what in my workflow I may be doing to cause this. Load up a video, type in the target filename then start a Comp Check with light filtering (most times Undot is enough) and de-interlacing if needed. My procedure varies a little depending on what I am working with. If the source is little noisy as in older shows. I'll move to a slightly stronger filtering if the file size does not get near the range I am seeking and retry the Comp Check. Sometimes if I retype the target filename and run the Comp Check again it will allow me to add it to the Jobs List. Can try to get you more info if helpful.

Cheers,
Rick

'Allo 'Allo
RickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 11:41   #20  |  Link
lollol

Audio out of sync

When converting DVD's (i dont get this with DVB-S sources), i get an audio delay with my encoded file.

This audio delay is static, i.e. it does not change during the video and it can be corrected with something like VirtualDub.

But at times, i choose to add hardcoded subs, and this is where it causes problems for me: i can correct the audio delay in VirtualDub, but this will cause the hardcoded subtitles to be out of sync

Do u know what causes this out-of-sync? It happens a lot with my DVD's (i would say 1 out of 4).

Bug report files: http://www.mediafire.com/?cs2pjo44tdz

PS: the audio DGIndex demuxes, is named most of the time something like: VTS_01_1 01 en-English 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3
lollol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, staxrip