Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st July 2018, 09:49   #51901  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I actually think I was better off being more ignorant, as like them I seem to think things look off sometimes, or wonder what colours I should be seeing, when I never thought too much about it before.
So true. Once you start down that path displays will never be the same again.
Old 31st July 2018, 10:32   #51902  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Having specific threads for let's say development, hdr, 12 bit, known issues, ...
Yeah you could be right, but then you end up with people asking the wrong questions in the wrong thread.

The trouble with HDR is as I said earlier, different equipment and the likes, so unlike the party line of it is how you like it, or whatever looks best to you, the default settings will work for the majority, but depending on your preference for NIT levels, or what model of TV you have, or what film it is, the whole situation is endless.

I started looking at 4k TVs, but after a couple of days I realised I could not afford what was classed as a decent one, so I think the more you know the less well off you are.

Unlike certain settings for Anime for example, the whole HDR to SDR seems to be a minefield, I understand why they are doing it on another forum now with a limited selection of people giving their thoughts, but since it is mostly based on projectors I am unsure if there will be much more support other than that thread, as it again will all be down to personal choice and equipment again.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 10:42   #51903  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Having specific threads for let's say development, hdr, 12 bit, known issues, ... would make finding an answer a lot easier, especially if there were a faq or table of content with links in the first posts.
Yes
I´m following this thread for many years now, it is a great thread, definitely, but the structure could be improved in my opinion. The all-in-one concept is sometimes really annoying, especially when:
- always the same questions again and again
- people searching for personal help - the solution is often enough of no use for anyone else
- general HTPC / computer stuff like "the best GPU", how big has my PSU to be, what CPU do I need...
- mixing up development view with end-user view
- mixing of stable / beta / experimental stuff

Many of these "annoyances" could be overcome at least partially with an alternative thread structure, like subthreads:

- FAQ: answers many of these "same questions over and over again"
- help: people can ask here for personal help, advanced users can do this "job"
- hardware section with subsections: discussing new hardware on the market, performance, price, experiences,...
- driver section: discussion room for "new driver is released", "driver x has these errors/flaws/faults", "driver y has this bug fixed", "driver z is my favorite driver"
- feature request: "madVR should contain..."
- research & development: discussing white papers, studies, recent approaches, alternatives, computer algorithms, neuronal networks,...
- test area: asking people for testing new features and deliver feedback
- vote section: making votes when making decisions for a majority of the community

Maybe not all of these sections are needed, maybe there are other, maybe they could be labeled in another way, but it should be useful.
Some guy only interested in help for a personal problem like "my blacks crush, why is that?" would not have to deal with active development of a new scaling algorithm. And the rest of the community outside of the help section would not have to deal with this guy
And another experienced / advanced guy is maybe only interested in the "test area", "research & development" and "feature requests" and doesn´t want to deal with the "plain rest".

The fact of 50000+ posts in this thread should be an indication for such a splitting

Not being able to explain things in a short manner, see above, I try to sum it up:
"This thread needs some structure"

Last edited by hannes69; 31st July 2018 at 10:45.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 10:52   #51904  |  Link
chros

I agree with those who wants separate threads for different stuff: all you have to do is just create them and instruct newcomers to use them
Old 31st July 2018, 10:57   #51905  |  Link
hannes69

It´s madshi´s thread so it´s madshi´s decision

Solution: madshi creates these subthreads, this thread here is closed, newcomers and oldies can only use the new subthreads. Simple.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 11:07   #51906  |  Link
madjock

All these things are available if people Google..

https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1709584

and all other threads...

Like all FAQs and Guides, they are only as good as the Version they were written for, and with Windows 10 issues, Driver issues as these get updated, and indeed new options in madVR, you can't really blame people coming to an "active" thread.

I was guilty of it myself, yes I read the FAQs, but when they are x amount of Revs behind, or the settings that were supposed to be the best were not even in the Guide, you do want to try and get what is the best settings that people have found for the latest Rev.

The HDR to SDR is never really explained anywhere, well it is in the excellent 2nd Guide, but with the variations and the issues we know about now and only a finite few seem to know how it works, and that was Revs ago, so unless someone who understands it can make a new guide (and keep it updated), there will always be questions, especially if someone has a C7 or a C8 etc...

Last edited by madjock; 31st July 2018 at 11:23. Reason: spelling
Old 31st July 2018, 14:52   #51907  |  Link
giulianoprs

Hello, I am a "foreign" user, I write from Italy, the forum is very useful, the best for madvr, there are no others like that !!!! however, put yourself in the shoes of a user who uses for the first time madvr, I in Italy could not find a forum with explanations valid to understand the fining here, with the help of google translator with 5/6 messages and thanks to users kind and prepared I understood many things, in the future maybe come back to ask for advice on HDR, when I buy a new 4k tv, for now thanks forum, thanks madshi and users like asmodian and warner306 that always give good recommend all !!! Hello everyone and good evening .
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 16:14   #51908  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
To be honest this whole thread seems to be pointless now.

As some of us are aware there is a thread in the AVS forum with a group working with test builds and Projectors.

For me personally, it now looks a little clique who are obsessed about certain frames of certain films and it seems to be stuck in a loop.
A final build was provided, so development just reached an end point. It didn't stall. I posted in that thread and didn't receive much of a response, but I wasn't offended. There is no limit to who can post there. I'm sure other topics will become relevant in the future in this thread after tone mapping is complete.

If you want to talk about alternative topics in here in the meantime, make a feature suggestion and others will likely discuss it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 18:12   #51909  |  Link
veggav

I actually learned a lot from this thread and I just recently started participating asking questions and I hope in the feature I could be of any help.

I'm very thankful for the patience people like Asmodian and Warner have with my questions.
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 19:13   #51910  |  Link
pirlouy
_

IMO, madVR deserve a forum, not a thread in order to avoid repeating same thing. I hoped Madshi would create a subforum on his website or he would have his own subforum here or somewhere else, but despite soon-to-be 10 years, it does not look like it will happen. GL with those having patience to repeat themselves.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:13   #51911  |  Link
sat4all

Hi,

I saw many here claiming that nvidia improved 23.976 timimg on latest drivers, is it only true for hd resolution? because here i'm on 2160p and still getting 23.97520 with 1 frame drop/repeat every 4min.
I could fix that by using custom resolution but then i loose 12bit output.
Hope madshi can get intouch with his nvidia contact to fix this long standing silly bugs, or maybe we should be in attack at nvidia forum?
Old 1st August 2018, 09:27   #51912  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Before fix was 23.970
Old 1st August 2018, 09:31   #51913  |  Link
madjock

@sat4all

They have done a fix of sorts, I think you will also find the custom resolution will not be 23.976 dead, the composition should be as this Nvidia fix is. For the multiple clocks to be synched there will be a deviation.

Some have had success, but I Bitstream and had at best 12 mins, unsure if others don't, there was one post saying they had 12 mins and did not see a frame drop either, and they ignore the OSD.

I am too OCD with the OSD, so rolled back to an older one myself.

Last edited by madjock; 1st August 2018 at 09:34.
Old 1st August 2018, 10:27   #51914  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
I could fix that by using custom resolution but then i loose 12bit output.
Same situation here but you dom't have to loose 12bits.
Do this: get CRU custom resolution utility.
Write down the front and back porch that madvr is using along with sync width.

Open cru, in detailed resolution add 3840x2160 23.000 with the information provided by madvr.
Click ok.
Press up so 3840x2160 23 will be right under 3840x2160 60.
Click ok
Use restart 64 or 32 depending on your system.

After the restart you will see 3840x2160 under PC resolution.

First under hd resolution, set 3840x2160 23 RGB Full dynamic range and 12bits for 23hz.
The custom resolution will be named 24hz.
Change it.
And now go to pc resolution and change to 3840x2160 24hz.

And that's what I did here to have custom timing and 12bits.
Old 1st August 2018, 15:56   #51915  |  Link
sat4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
Same situation here but you dom't have to loose 12bits.
Write down the front and back porch that madvr is using along with sync width.

Open cru, in detailed resolution add 3840x2160 23.000 with the information provided by madvr.
Click ok.
Press up so 3840x2160 23 will be right under 3840x2160 60.
Click ok
Use restart 64 or 32 depending on your system.

After the restart you will see 3840x2160 under PC resolution.

First under hd resolution, set 3840x2160 23 RGB Full dynamic range and 12bits for 23hz.
The custom resolution will be named 24hz.
Change it.
And now go to pc resolution and change to 3840x2160 24hz.

And that's what I did here to have custom timing and 12bits.
Thanks, i will give it a try.
Edit: Thanks again, it worked.

Last edited by sat4all; 1st August 2018 at 19:00.
sat4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 22:11   #51916  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
Careful with this. I use it myself. I'm able to create custom resolution for 1080p23 with CRU, named 23.976Hz. But nVidia see a 23,976Hz resolution and so use its own timings for this frequency (the new 23,976 which results in frame repeat every 11-12 minutes). So despite custom resolution in CRU, nVidia ignores EDID and choose by itself the timing.
If you really want a custom resolution, you are stuck with nVidia unstable custom resolution tool.
But YMMV with this awkward behaviour.
Old 1st August 2018, 23:57   #51917  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Careful with this. I use it myself. I'm able to create custom resolution for 1080p23 with CRU, named 23.976Hz.
Do you actually type 23.976 in the refresh rate section? Because I don't see any place to name resolutions on CRU.

And I stand by the method, the results I get are identical to Madvr custom timings without using CRU.

The only problem I have here is that some custom timings made by madvr which are claimed by the software as "no dropped frames expected" still give me 1 frame drop repeated per 4 or 6 hours or something.
Old 2nd August 2018, 00:48   #51918  |  Link
Asmodian

Did you watch it for an infinite amount of time? You need to let madVR measure for an infinite amount of time and let it run for an infinite amount of time, at least to have the predictions be perfect.

4-6 hours is very good but if you let madVR measure for an entire movie the predictions do get a better.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:06   #51919  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
4-6 hours is very good but if you let madVR measure for an entire movie the predictions do get a better.
Not yet, but I have watched very long movies and I'm trying to watch The Sopranos in it's entirely. So, a lot of content.

But I'm back with version 0.9.04 because of Jriver UHD BD subtitles situation, so I'm also stuck with this version not measuring anymore.

I think I'll update to 0.9.14 for the weekend while using MPC-HC and have it to measure again my display.
Actually, is it possible to have two installations of Madvr on the same pc?
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:37   #51920  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Did you watch it for an infinite amount of time?
I wish madshi had an infinite amount of time, I want more advanced upscalers and post processing options xD
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling